Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This moon thing is really dumb. And lame. And other ableist insults.

ThaumPenguin posted:

It doesn't feel like Homestuck

It feels like bad fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's just something missing from this

It doesn't feel like Homestuck

is it the fact that the characters are talking to each other WHILE trying to accomplish something, instead of the story doing chatlogs when the characters are loving around wasting time and relegating them actually putting effort into things into either cutscenes or explaining it after the fact

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Anyway, Jane will just regenerate since there was nothing heroic about her death

...or she'll die a Just death for being an unrepentant bourgeois oppressor, which would admittedly be an interesting twist for the story to take

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

why are they having this involved conversation via snapchat instead of using the talky-parts of their cellphones

e: like, i think the snapchat gimmick worked really well for the end credits sequence, but the longer this goes on the more strained it gets

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

why are they having this involved conversation via snapchat instead of using the talky-parts of their cellphones

Severe oxygen deprivation tend to do bad things to people's decision-making skills, and there ain't much oxygen in space

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AriadneThread posted:

e: like, i think the snapchat gimmick worked really well for the end credits sequence, but the longer this goes on the more strained it gets

A metaphor for the comic as a whole

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Jane is presently where the moon is about to be blown up, but others are converging on that location and it is a Very Big Mystery what's going to happen next

They're gonna kill off Jane

Which actually gives me a little bit of hope for Cohen as a writer

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
For real though, i know i said Snapchat was the worst possible medium for this, but the more this drags on, the more worster it gets. It's now bad storytelling-wise, accessability-wise AND storywise because yeah seriously who the hell is gonna take a selfie, write a long-rear end thing on it, and send it, when their irrelevant friend is about to make like a stormtrooper on the Death Star. This is makin' me angry!!!!!!!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't tell if posting the updates on snapchat is too Avant-garde for me, or not Avant-garde enough

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
It's just really not a great medium for actual storytelling. Worked for the credits, worked for halloween shenanigans, not working for this.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've never used snapchat as I've been a grumpy old man since the age of nine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack Noir is maybe not dead?!?!? If so, hurrah.

Also, Welovefine is having a holiday sale on "selected" vinyls and plushes. "Selected" means all the Beta kid vinyls except Dave are $5 off.

e: Also, bring back USENET.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hemingway To Go! posted:

is it the fact that the characters are talking to each other WHILE trying to accomplish something, instead of the story doing chatlogs when the characters are loving around wasting time and relegating them actually putting effort into things into either cutscenes or explaining it after the fact

Yeah, basically.

Homestuck traditionally interspersed sudden flashes of animated activity with long periods of talking and thinking. Having people talk while doing things feels very different.

Also speaking as someone who highly values having records of all my online conversations, Snapchat makes me feel dirty.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
plus the dialogue tended to have moments of comedy

this just feels like they're explaining the scene within the confines of their quirk.

Which is what I imagine the difference between fanfiction and writing the comic is

e: Jane's line in particular feels off. Jape and mystery, oh my!!!!!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I preferred when the epilogue's social media platform of choice was this thread

Oh God I'm turning into a hater, aren't I

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

we might be negative, but we love you all

now say how for a scene where the moon is about to explode and a character is going to die, there's pretty much no tension

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
here's an album of the updates

ThaumPenguin posted:

Freak Futa's was clearly the superior epilogue,so no.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

here's an album of the updates

Freak Futa's was clearly the superior epilogue,so no.

roxy sure developed a p bad fashion sense on earth c

also i cant remember because it's been ages but weren't the felt widely known to be enemies, hence a whole wing of the plan dedicated to fighting them

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I don't understand these updates

There's never any real buildup, everything just gets resolved nearly instantly.

Like it seemed somewhat promising back when the snapdates appeared to show John becoming unhappy and restless with how things had turned out, but nothing really happened with that.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

John seeming unhappy and restless was in the credits, which was the last thing Hussie wrote. Cohen took over for the next update, which was John happy and dressed like a vampire and all happy like nothing ever happened.

e: aaaaaaand that's it for Bec Noir I guess.

i can't even muster a snarky comment

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

plus the dialogue tended to have moments of comedy

this just feels like they're explaining the scene within the confines of their quirk.

And mistaking typing quirk for character voice.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I guess Jane is evil now?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I guess Jane is evil now?

I guess????????

who the gently caress even knows anymore

e: maybe Post-Retjohn Jane was a horrible sociopath, much like Post-Retjohn Dave is a huge weenie

"These nice gentlemen I tried to murder with a fork in Collide are here to help!", so it seems she became a dumb evil, too.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 24, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Caliborn was right

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm getting some major "Like Father Like Son" vibes from this.

Just you know, gender-swapped

and adopted

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

it certainly makes Roxy a terrible friend

"hey jane you're acting more and more like the person i apparently hated so much i stabbed them to death, please tone that down"

gonna be v disappointed if Roxy's reply isn't "hey whoa let's cool it on the slave collars, bb." with some level of distress

e: oh wow, that is, uh. Sure a picture of Jane?

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 24, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

it certainly makes Roxy a terrible friend

"hey jane you're acting more and more like the person i apparently hated so much i stabbed them to death, please tone that down"

gonna be v disappointed if Roxy's reply isn't "hey whoa let's cool it on the slave collars, bb." with some level of distress

e: oh wow, that is, uh. Sure a picture of Jane?

She's literally ordering people into the ovens. No way is this not on purpose lol.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly it just seems like Jane is sounding and acting like Nanna to me. Which is kind of what I'd have expected an adult Jane to be like.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh hey! A snapchat update happened while I was out doing Holiday stuff with my family! Neat!

So I guess Jane is evil now, good for her. Maybe her character will actually get a chance to do something interesting now or develop in some way. Although the last time she turned evil it was kind of just a deadend that went no where and accomplished nothing, so who knows how this'll play out.

Also, Clover got a job as a social media manager! Hopefully he'll switch the update format to something other than fuckin' snapchats.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i take everything back homestuck is loving trash

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I am Homestuck. Kill me now while you still have a chance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Homestuck is good and I like it, actually.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i take everything back homestuck is loving trash

Woah, pretty fast turn around there Closed-Down Pizza Parlor. I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong though.

Anyway, although I'm not sure I like the way this plot point was executed I think the concept behind it is interesting. The idea of Jane turning evil (for real this time, not just because of mind control) is something that could actually be potientially fascinating, but right now it just feels rushed instead of being an organic development that feels natural to the character. It's like a switch has been flipped that turned Jane from "boring business woman" to "boring evil fascist".

Edit:

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I am Homestuck. Kill me now while you still have a chance.

If I did that you'd just go God tier or come back as a dream ghost or get thrown into a sprite kernel or Goku would make a wish on the seven Dragonballs to resurrect you or some other bullshit like that.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 24, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I don't even know what's going on because I have to catch up using the tumblr that compiles these as they come out, and a tumblr blog is only slightly better than a snapchat as it presents everything backwards.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

GunnerJ posted:

I don't even know what's going on because I have to catch up using the tumblr that compiles these as they come out, and a tumblr blog is only slightly better than a snapchat as it presents everything backwards.

don't worry it doesn't really make any sense

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

She's literally ordering people into the ovens. No way is this not on purpose lol.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The art in the snaps is cute enough but otherwise these are kind of hot garbage. I don't know why I'm even surprised at this point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There's a few more snapchats that I'm too lazy to link to: Jane goes into the future by a week somehow for some reason and then the moon gets blown up after all. Calliope and Roxy accomplish nothing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a few more snapchats that I'm too lazy to link to: Jane goes into the future by a week somehow for some reason and then the moon gets blown up after all. Calliope and Roxy accomplish nothing.

I assume Cans punched her

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

it seems she gets in the oven herself, a move known as the 'reverse hitler'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

it seems she gets in the oven herself, a move known as the 'reverse hitler'

Oh that could work too but it's more boring