Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

A human heart posted:

Analysing genre fiction and pop culture stuff is all the rage in academia these days and it doesn't really mean anything in terms of the value of the work being analysed

My Immortal is now being analysed down to Honours thesis level ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A human heart posted:

Analysing genre fiction and pop culture stuff is all the rage in academia these days and it doesn't really mean anything in terms of the value of the work being analysed

Banks is actually good though so he deserves some critical reading. Hopefully whoever's doing work on him doesn't arbitrarily segregate his SF from his (really good) modernist lit.

I still think The Bridge might be his best non-M book and it's a really interesting hybrid of his M-book playfulness and his lit side.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Banks is actually good though so he deserves some critical reading. Hopefully whoever's doing work on him doesn't arbitrarily segregate his SF from his (really good) modernist lit.

I still think The Bridge might be his best non-M book and it's a really interesting hybrid of his M-book playfulness and his lit side.

he's bad

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mods???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Banks is good.

I'm a sucker for scifi, so I'm not really a reliable judge on that, but his M-less books are also really good. So far, Complicity is my favourite.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

You're a worthless fucker who seems to spend all your time trying to poo poo on things here. Get bent.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a kitten posted:

You're a worthless fucker who seems to spend all your time trying to poo poo on things here. Get bent.

noooo lets talk about whats good about banks cause who care about whoever threadshitter

It being my favorite, can we talk about Complicity a little?

I love how the alternate chapters are in the second person. "You are doing ..." etc. It works excellently, especially in the context of the story and who reads it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'm smart and cool

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

a kitten posted:

Actually there's nothing odd or unusual about calling a sci-fi series bad.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

You are.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really hate poorly written Sci Fi and fantasy. Banks is good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Grimson posted:

You are.

Thank you for letting me know

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually there's nothing odd or unusual about calling a sci-fi series bad.
much the same phenomenon as calling text generally bad, no? watch sports, lol dickless losers

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Do not engage BotL

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

stephenfry posted:

much the same phenomenon as calling text generally bad, no? watch sports, lol dickless losers

Actually there's a lot of text that is good

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A human heart posted:

Actually there's a lot of text that is good

Print is dead.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Print is dead.

the artform formerly known as print

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

the artform formerly known as print

GSV

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I think it would be a very fast picket actually.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

I just finished Matter which I really liked for the most part, but the ending felt a little unsatisfying. What were the Oct up to? We found out they were trying to secretly move their fleet but then they just get completely owned by the higher tier civilizations and made irrelevant at the end. Were they some kind of theocratic society? They seemed interesting but we don't wind up finding out much about their motives

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MrWilderheap posted:

I just finished Matter which I really liked for the most part, but the ending felt a little unsatisfying. What were the Oct up to? We found out they were trying to secretly move their fleet but then they just get completely owned by the higher tier civilizations and made irrelevant at the end. Were they some kind of theocratic society? They seemed interesting but we don't wind up finding out much about their motives

It's been a while since I read it but I think the core of it was that the Oct wanted to graduate to being Involved

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the Oct were hoping that the 'Inheritor' they found would grant them dominance over the Shellworld and power of a higher tier.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I'm about half way through a re-read of Against A Dark Background and I think this has to be one of the slowest evolving Banks stories. It just isn't going anywhere.

I kind of remember not really liking it that much from the first time I read it but couldn't remember why.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

MrWilderheap posted:

It seemed to me like the Oct had drunk their own kool-aid about being the inheritors of the shell worlds, so were genuinely acting on the belief that when one of the original beings who built the shell-worlds woke up it would confirm everything they believed. The ships were being brought in because it was such a potentially important moment that they wanted something on hand in case of interference. They were just idiots, being suckered in by the lies of the creature. You can read it slightly more charitably and say that they had suspicions about the creature lying, and wanted to have ships on hand just in case. Either way they were also unwilling to tell their mentor civ for fear of a potentially amazing opportunity being taken from them.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Matter works a lot better on a re-read. I didn't get as confused by the ending happening very suddenly and just clowning pretty much all of the main characters since they're just insignificant sacks of meat.. Instead I could see the thematic importance of it throughout the story.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They - like everyone else in the story - wanted to Matter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrWilderheap posted:

So almost like they didn't matter?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I've struggled a lot to find other Sci fi writers that are on par with Banks, and it's a tall loving order.
I thought Ancillary Justice was crap (seriously, the writing isn't very good). The closest I have come is Dan Simmons. Hyperion is great and I highly recommend it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hannu Rajaniemi has some of the same sense of joy and scale, although he's a bit more cynical and, uh, precious? He's got all these very particular flourishes about chocolatiers and Paris and so forth that kind of rubbed me the wrong way — although they also worked really well to ground the setting, so who knows.

There's no one who can do Banks like Banks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

remigious posted:

The closest I have come is Dan Simmons. Hyperion is great and I highly recommend it.

Hyperion is great, but everything that comes after Hyperion is garbage.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Ken Mcleod's Fall Revolution stuff is pretty fun and you can tell he was clearly having sozzled ideas sessions with Banks.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hyperion is meh and everything that comes after is pure trash.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

remigious posted:

I've struggled a lot to find other Sci fi writers that are on par with Banks, and it's a tall loving order.

As far as I can tell, it's impossible.

There's a reason I have re-read Banks so much (the same reason I re-read William Gibson constantly.)

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Inspector_666 posted:

There's a reason I have re-read Banks so much (the same reason I re-read William Gibson constantly.)

I agree. I just finished Fall of Hyperion, and it went off the rails in a hurry (well, after a bunch of tedious bureaucracy stuff). I decided to go back and read Consider Phlebas again. Banks is my happy place.

remigious fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 24, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

This is a problem I have with most sci-fi / fantasy writers. Even if the story is good, the actual writing is so bad I just can't make it through.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Gibson is an awful writer my man

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sci-fi writer bad? Tell me it ain't so.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sci-fi writer bad? Tell me it ain't so.

For someone who seemingly hates genre fiction you sure post in an awful lot of threads about it

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

remigious posted:

I thought Ancillary Justice was crap (seriously, the writing isn't very good). The closest I have come is Dan Simmons. Hyperion is great and I highly recommend it.

Alastair Reynolds has some of the scope and epic-ness and the analysis/deconstruction of social systems of Banks, but completely lacks the playfulness that Banks has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A human heart posted:

Gibson is an awful writer my man

Gibson's prose can be amazing. His characters are always the weakest link, but he's not awful. Pattern Recognition is a great book.

• Locked thread