Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't think Godzilla ever really did anything I would call a raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe the hit-and-run on the power plant in Return of Godzilla.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Just because he didn't bitch out his fellow monsters on teamspeak after the Tokyo military kicked their asses doesn't make it a raid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Great now I want a remake of The Raid but with Kaiju.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no CGI I want dudes trying to silat fight in big awkward monster costumes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

so a modern bambi meets godzilla

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here are some Godzilla 2-pack UV codes for whoever wants them.

Godzilla vs Destroyah/Godzilla vs Megaguius: m3gw5m7srn2j4xu2

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah/Godzilla and Mothra Battle for Earth: gamtp04z0h99aq53

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla: mchqdr2mmn3abbz5

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You people grabbed those quick

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guess I'm doing a Godzilla marathon tonight, thanks!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

When Godzilla first flopped onto land in Shin I was definitely laughing (quietly!) in the movie theater.

And I think it was legit laughter at a funny thing. But slowly it changed from 100% comedy laughter to 50% nervous laughter to 100% nervous laughter.

They do a good job of focusing on Godzilla long enough to force you to get over the initial hilarity and just stare at it, which upon closer inspection is unnerving as gently caress.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Any news about more showings, or a Blu-ray release or something? I missed the short time it was running and had to work on the extra days they added.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Any news about more showings, or a Blu-ray release or something? I missed the short time it was running and had to work on the extra days they added.

Japan's Blu-ray release is March 22nd, but that's all we've heard so far. Seems like it won't have english subs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Japanese steel book Shin Godzilla Blu-ray. I may buy this even sans English subs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Hopefully this means the english release isn't far off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maaaaaan, Funi's release ain't gonna be in nearly as good a package. They'll probably just slap the poster on the front of the case.

Also, Funi will probably record a dub for the movie, which'll hold things up.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 24, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

sean schmmel and chris sabat as the two b-2 pilots

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Goddamn, that nuclear fire breath scene is easily my favorite nuclear fire breath scene in any Godzilla movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aaaaaaaaaaaa I wanna watch it agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

disjoe posted:

When Godzilla first flopped onto land in Shin I was definitely laughing (quietly!) in the movie theater.

And I think it was legit laughter at a funny thing. But slowly it changed from 100% comedy laughter to 50% nervous laughter to 100% nervous laughter.

They do a good job of focusing on Godzilla long enough to force you to get over the initial hilarity and just stare at it, which upon closer inspection is unnerving as gently caress.

This was a brilliant and quite clever subversion of the notion that kaiju flicks are silly and juvenile by nature -- the slow buildup to horrific, intimate tragedy completely twists expectations and cements the "poo poo got real" tone of the rest of the film. Man, I just love Shin so loving hard.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

scuba school sucks posted:

Goddamn, that nuclear fire breath scene is easily my favorite nuclear fire breath scene in any Godzilla movie.

It's certainly the best use of the premise since the original film.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Saaaame

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I may not have watched a whole lot in theaters in 2016, but I'm still confident saying ShinGoji is my Film of the Year. I love it so.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Same here. The last time I enjoyed a movie that much was Gojira in 2004.

What can I say, I love the guy.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

If anyone here's in Austin, Alamo Drafthouse Ritz is doing more screenings over the next few days.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Maaaaaan, Funi's release ain't gonna be in nearly as good a package. They'll probably just slap the poster on the front of the case.

See I'd be much better with that package. The poster is great.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Waffleman_ posted:

And,in the grand Godzilla tradition,will be Godawful as gently caress. Name one good Godzilla dub. That's the thing-one doesn't exist.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VolticSurge posted:

And,in the grand Godzilla tradition,will be Godawful as gently caress. Name one good Godzilla dub. That's the thing-one doesn't exist.

Godzilla VS MechaGodzilla 1974 has a beautiful dub and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Russian Monkey Alien Men gently caress yeah

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

The 60s AIP dubs are generally okay. The voices and accents are broad but superior to the outright poor acting and mixing of the international dubs.

The main reason live action dubbing sucks for us Americans is, we're not used to it. In places like Italy and Germany all the big Hollywood movies are dubbed.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The way I have heard it, back in the 60s and 70s Japanese operations for English Dubbing would often extremely literally just pull white dudes in off the street because they knew they spoke English. That's why there's such a wide distinction in talent quality in them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Choco1980 posted:

The way I have heard it, back in the 60s and 70s Japanese operations for English Dubbing would often extremely literally just pull white dudes in off the street because they knew they spoke English. That's why there's such a wide distinction in talent quality in them.

that's amazing, and having seen a few godzilla dubs in my life i believe it

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Godzilla dubs own just because they provided the essential tracks necessary for not only King Geedorah, but also the rest of the Monster Island Czars.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/816789992592654336

quote:

Last retweet is in Japanese, but super fascinating; The Art of Shin Gojira apparently has some unusually honest interviews with irate staff. There's a fair amount of interpretation by the article author in there, too, but the main thrust is that Anno stole the movie from Higuchi.

Anno was originally not supposed to be on set at all, but showed up anyway, and frequently overruled Higuchi, who wound up keeping peace. Anno himself claims he felt the staff were doing 'routine work' and deliberately introduced tension to the set to force better work. He did poo poo like insist they have six cameras rolling all the time and do pick up shots himself on his iPhone.

Then in editing he ran ripshod over everything as well, driving the CG department nuts by making them roll back shots to a less polished cut and completely jettisoning romance and family drama subplots written by another screenwriter.

Anno is my hero.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because of course they'd have Yaguchi and Kayoco hook up. Good for Anno for shoving that crap aside.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just came to post that exact thing, :argh:

Though I like the wrap-up comment:

https://twitter.com/BuddyWaters/status/816802114219319296

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At least Anno isn't becoming more conservative with age and the changing political climate in Japan. He's always been an outspoken critic of that stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like to the crew, Anno's biggest sin was actually being a director and not just a name for marketing to slap on the poster to get people to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

It turns out that Gamera is not the only friend to all children in the world.