Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

I think I'm going to vomit. It was bad at my old house in Maryland but godDAMN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

A tenant complained about their door not opening today. It was extremely cold over the weekend, and to weather seal their exterior door, they used Great Stuff gaps and cracks. Sounds good, right? Wrong, they used it between the door and the door jamb and wedged the door shut.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pivotal Lever posted:

A tenant complained about their door not opening today. It was extremely cold over the weekend, and to weather seal their exterior door, they used Great Stuff gaps and cracks. Sounds good, right? Wrong, they used it between the door and the door jamb and wedged the door shut.

It takes a special kind of stupid to not only do that, but then complain to the landlord. :psyduck:

“I just can’t imagine why this won’t open.”

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There goes that deposit.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I can't imagine any situation in which you would want to apply sealant to a door unless it was to permanently prevent that door from being used.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wasn't there a guy in this thread that was filling the inside of his door with super flammable filler?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't think he did it, but yea, there was a guy that wanted to try and cut down noise by filing his door with foam. I think he was talked out of it by explaining that not only would be a terrible idea for code reasons, but if you spray a bunch of those foam products into a hollow door there is a good chance it will simply explode the door while expanding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

moist turtleneck posted:

Wasn't there a guy in this thread that was filling the inside of his door with super flammable filler?

Yes. Starts here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It was me, it was a hollow metal door but not a fire door, I asked if it was a dumb idea and it was so I didn't do it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Somehow it's our successes that are the most disappointing.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ashcans posted:

Should have filled the door with 400lbs of concrete instead.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ashcans posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a self defeating thread when we talk people out of stuff. Default answer should be 'Sounds like a great idea, make sure to take photos'

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Seen by a buddy somewhere in VA:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I don't think that's actually terribly ugly or crappy, aside from the unfinished edges, as long as it's properly sealed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D34THROW posted:

I don't think that's actually terribly ugly or crappy, aside from the unfinished edges, as long as it's properly sealed.

It's not ugly per se but nothing really fits together. The floor, the cabinetry, and the top are fine in themselves. The wall is ugly though.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Way too much live edge, but I kinda really dislike live edge in general unless it just a very small or on an organically shaped piece.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also the edge of a counter sees a lot of wear and tear, seems like a horrible place for a "live edge". As a coffee table or something, sure. But in a high-use work surface? Maybe not.

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
I've read all 307 pages and what strikes me is that every time thermal pumps are mentioned they're waved off as "hackish".

Geothermal heating is bona fide magic, put in 1 kw of energy get 5 out. The installation cost is steep but it pays of in 5-7 years. Is this uncommon in the US? Here in Sweden almost every house uses either geothermal or water/air heat pumps.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's common enough in the US, after a certain price point, on newer houses. For instance, in Iowa, you're not super likely to see it on a $200k house, but it's practically guaranteed on a $500k house, provided they were both built within the last 15 years.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Do you generally have natural gas as an option in Sweden?

Looked into ground source geothermal myself for a future build and found a local university study on the subject whose basic conclusion was that yes it can save money over electric only heat, especially in areas with expensive power, but that it wasn't competitive with utility natural gas and modern high efficiency gas furnaces when looking at TCoO.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

double ohm seven posted:

I've read all 307 pages and what strikes me is that every time thermal pumps are mentioned they're waved off as "hackish".

Geothermal heating is bona fide magic, put in 1 kw of energy get 5 out. The installation cost is steep but it pays of in 5-7 years. Is this uncommon in the US? Here in Sweden almost every house uses either geothermal or water/air heat pumps.

The US has a lot more climates than Sweden. Heat pumps aren't cost effective in all of ours.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Heat pump in az during summer: awesome.
During winter: lolwut

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

kid sinister posted:

The US has a lot more climates than Sweden. Heat pumps aren't cost effective in all of ours.

Heat pumps are very popular in the south because there are higher cooling efficiency standards in the southern US, and larger water heaters also require them everywhere. For heating, natural gas is substantially cheaper.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Heat pump in az during summer: awesome.
During winter: lolwut
It doesn't seem like it would be an issue, heat pumps work fine below freezing even without supplemental heat. If you live somewhere it dips below 0F then yeah heat pumps stop making much sense.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It takes our 2 stage heat pump maybe 2 hours to cool from 85 to 70, but like five hours to heat from 55 to 70.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Presented without comment.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Edit: lol I suck at reading

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

Presented without comment.

What the poo poo? Did they strip it so they could connect the ground wire on the outside?

(not that that's the worst thing going on here, but it jumped out at me)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
He's talking about geothermal heat pumps, with coils set into the ground. They're more expensive to install but they definitely work when it gets cold out because they're deep enough.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Phanatic posted:

He's talking about geothermal heat pumps, with coils set into the ground. They're more expensive to install but they definitely work when it gets cold out because they're deep enough.

Pretty much, you have an infinite source of water at whatever the average yearly air temperature of the area is. That's generally a huge fuckton of BTU capacity at 50 degrees or so. Even a halfassed heat pump can extract a ton of thermal energy from 45 degree water to keep you warm in the winter, and in the summer, it's pretty easy to cool your house when the condenser heat exchanger has 55 degree water to dump all that hot into.

The downside is you need to either drill a bunch of bore holes in the ground to sink the coils into, or you cut and cover an Olympic sized swimming pool down 30 ft. Pricey.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Pretty much, you have an infinite source of water at whatever the average yearly air temperature of the area is. That's generally a huge fuckton of BTU capacity at 50 degrees or so. Even a halfassed heat pump can extract a ton of thermal energy from 45 degree water to keep you warm in the winter, and in the summer, it's pretty easy to cool your house when the condenser heat exchanger has 55 degree water to dump all that hot into.

The downside is you need to either drill a bunch of bore holes in the ground to sink the coils into, or you cut and cover an Olympic sized swimming pool down 30 ft. Pricey.

Depending on the system, it's not quite so bad as this. When my parents put in a closed-loop geothermal system in their vacation home, the company needed to run 300' of hose for the loop. The soil was too friable for trenching, so they drilled a pair of 80' deep wells, which they stuffed 300' of hose into. The system still works great, though it is a little harder to change large amounts of heating or cooling; usually, I change in increments of 4 degrees or so at a time, much more than that and the emergency electric backup comes on, and that sucks down a huge amount of electricity.
See here for soil temperature article: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Cooling/EarthTemperatures.htm

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016
Here we just drill 4-600 feet into the bedrock, always +4C down there so free heat in the winter, free cooling in the winter.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

double ohm seven posted:

Here we just drill 4-600 feet into the bedrock, always +4C down there so free heat in the winter, free cooling in the winter.

Y'all need more seasons up there.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Elem7 posted:

Do you generally have natural gas as an option in Sweden?

Looked into ground source geothermal myself for a future build and found a local university study on the subject whose basic conclusion was that yes it can save money over electric only heat, especially in areas with expensive power, but that it wasn't competitive with utility natural gas and modern high efficiency gas furnaces when looking at TCoO.
Nope, pretty much nobody heats using gas in Sweden.

If you live in a city or larger town you typically have district heating (usually sourced from industrial waste heat, burning household garbage or burning forestry waste, with oil as back up). It's by far the most common heating method nationwide.

For houses not connected to district heating the most common is electric (direct heating and heat pumps) followed by biofuels (wood, wood waste pellets, vegetable oil, etc), followed distantly by fossil oil. Solar and geothermal is up and coming but pretty rare still. Oil is getting more and more uncommon as it gets taxed more and more, and we've had a couple of tax initiatives to get people to switch to heat pumps/biofuels/geothermal.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 24, 2016

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I had a geothermal system installed a few years back to replace a dilapidated oil furnace/air heat pump combo.

Where I live, it's impractical to run a natural gas line, and the underground oil tank absolutely had to go.

System was jaw-droppingly expensive (taxpayers picked up 30% though so that's nice, and so is not buying a fossil fuel plus electricity). I pay about the same, but boosted from a 1-zone 5-ton system to 2-zone 7-ton, so capacity went up 40 percent and the house gets comfortable everywhere, even the room above the garage. I keep this thing on 70 degrees year round and rarely think about it.

The drilling rig destroyed the yard but the wells/piping underground will last my lifetime. I don't see why anyone building new wouldn't do this. It's amazing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

High Lord Elbow posted:

I don't see why anyone building new wouldn't do this. It's amazing.

quote:

System was jaw-droppingly expensive

Builders are so very rarely the long term owners.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

High Lord Elbow posted:

I don't see why anyone building new wouldn't do this. It's amazing.

Pretty sure you answered your own question here.

High Lord Elbow posted:

System was jaw-droppingly expensive

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.
We do lots of residential HVAC where I work, and we refer to the cheapest, shittiest units you can buy as the "Builder's Model".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DoktorVerderben posted:

We do lots of residential HVAC where I work, and we refer to the cheapest, shittiest units you can buy as the "Builder's Model".

It isn't just you. Builder grade is a real thing. It's why I can get a seemingly identical kitchen sink setup for $450 from Moen or $150 from it doesn't matter at home depot. One of those two will work in 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
One of the two will be a puzzle box you cannot take apart...