Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I'm the dumbfuck who spent $80 on the deviations vinyl and picked WAV for digital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They really poo poo the bed with this release. My digital download link still only has the new EP on it despite ordering TDS, Broken and The Fragile.

Time to download it from illegal sites then I guess.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Here are the album credits

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

They really poo poo the bed with this release. My digital download link still only has the new EP on it despite ordering TDS, Broken and The Fragile.

Time to download it from illegal sites then I guess.

I e-mailed them and within a couple hours they sent me the links for the stuff that was missing.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I e-mailed them and within a couple hours they sent me the links for the stuff that was missing.

I did too, but got no response. It's been about 6 hours or so. Oh well, I'm at the hospital with a baby about to be born, but it'd have been nice to listen to while waiting around.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Gorgolflox posted:

I'm the dumbfuck who spent $80 on the deviations vinyl and picked WAV for digital

I don't know anything about the sound quality of the various formats, but if the information is there, does it matter what format it is?
I picked FLAC for the EP, and picked WAV for the Deviations, but one doesn't sound astoundingly better than another, at least on my speakers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
FLAC actually includes metadata and is slightly compressed (in terms of file structure, not audio). WAV is just totally raw, more or less.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There was an option to choose the format for Deviations? I saw that for the EP but never for Deviations, even if I go to the store now it simply indicates "Hi Res Digital" with no choices available.

mikul posted:

I've had that before and solved it by downloading Winrar and using that to open it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Winrar didn't work for me but thanks! My brother linked me to this Reddit thread (also included now in the nin.com order emails apparently) and it seems to be working for me! I was able to view the files and am currently extracting to a regular folder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comments/5jos4a/2017_definitive_editions_discussion/dbiv3ks/

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

AFewBricksShy posted:

I don't know anything about the sound quality of the various formats, but if the information is there, does it matter what format it is?
I picked FLAC for the EP, and picked WAV for the Deviations, but one doesn't sound astoundingly better than another, at least on my speakers.

I can't put WAV on my ipod so I had to convert it to MP3 with iTunes, it's not a big deal I guess I've just had a frustrating day

Minidust posted:

There was an option to choose the format for Deviations? I saw that for the EP but never for Deviations, even if I go to the store now it simply indicates "Hi Res Digital" with no choices available.

There wasn't an option, I just checked. I just thought there was and I picked the wrong thing because I am dumb. I guess I am double dumb.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

7zip will unzip Deviations despite some of the files still having errors... LAME errors out on most of the tracks 'cause it's not able to recognize them as wav files... Anyone have success in converting them yet?

e: Most of the Deviations wavs aren't listenable, either.

Double edit: Turns out either my zip file or 7zip wasn't working correctly. I managed to extract listenable versions of the Deviations tracks from WinRAR.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 23, 2016

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I see that Deviations contains +Appendage - has that ever been released on anything other than the original cassette?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

I see that Deviations contains +Appendage - has that ever been released on anything other than the original cassette?

I think it was in the instrumentals for the fragile that trent released last year on apple music.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Most of the high res files don't contain any information above 22 khz except for what looks like little blips here and there. This is true for Deviations 1, and all of the other "2017 Definitive Edition" releases so far.

I completely understand that you can't hear anything above 20 khz anyway (and most people even less). But it really shows just how pointless high res audio is. A complete waste of space.

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
"One Way To Get There" is "Burn" and it's great.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Still don't have a link to download Deviations, and no responses from customer support!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not The Actual Events is on Spotify now, along with every other streaming platform I'm sure, if you haven't given it a listen already!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Is it just me or does Dear World have a sound somewhere in the mix in the beginning that sounds a lot like a Windows error noise? It was super distracting to me.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just popping in to say that vinyl can suck my dick forever and he'll never drag me back from the awesome future of saying a song title and having it automatically play. Artwork and intentions be damned.

(all that said, the new ep is interesting so i'm excited for the new album)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Just popping in to say that vinyl can suck my dick forever and he'll never drag me back from the awesome future of saying a song title and having it automatically play. Artwork and intentions be damned.

we found the one guy who still uses siri lol

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's nothing being released that isn't also digital. I already have Deviations converted to MP3 and stored in THE CLOUD for iTunes streaming.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Pretty sure this was going to debut at #1 a week early but the digital distributor blew their load and released on Thursday. Would've been nice to knock loving Pentatonix off the top spot. Oh well

EDIT: Reworded

Caseman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 23, 2016

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup

sleepwalkers posted:

There's nothing being released that isn't also digital. I already have Deviations converted to MP3 and stored in THE CLOUD for iTunes streaming.

I just live off digital, but if I wanted the Deviations MP3's I would have to buy the vinyl but also pay for shipping of a product I don't need all the way to Australia. If he doesn't want to give me an ability to pay for just the digital version then I guess I won't pay.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope there's eventually a version of the Fragile that has vocal versions of the new tracks if any exist. The March in particular seems like it may have had vocals.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Caseman posted:

Pretty sure this was going to debut at #1 a week early but the digital distributor blew their load and released on Thursday. Would've been nice to knock loving Pentatonix off the top spot. Oh well

EDIT: Reworded

dont think so fam

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I'd be shocked if a digital-only, surprise release EP from Nine Inch Nails would've knocked a Pentatonix Christmas album from the #1 spot...

E: also, wasn't releasing on Thursday supposed to be a make-good for the Deviations files not being ready to go? And I know it's not strictly digital only, but vinyl and "physical component" aren't big enough in my mind to contribute in any meaningful way to charting.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

dont think so fam

Look don't destroy my dream of a NIN #1 debut. We havn't had once since W_T. Nothing else came out this week either, would've been a perfect spot for it except people can't stop buying making GBS threads Christmas albums.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

we found the one guy who still uses siri lol

Amazon Echo :)

And I wouldn't be against Rob putting together some wacky skill that flashes my lights as the music plays.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Caseman posted:

Look don't destroy my dream of a NIN #1 debut. We havn't had once since W_T. Nothing else came out this week either, would've been a perfect spot for it except people can't stop buying making GBS threads Christmas albums.

Who cares if people enjoy Christmas albums? I don't give a flying gently caress about Pentatonix or Christmas music, but no point in running down people who do.
Also, charting has been rendered increasingly irrelevant in the intervening years as its become easier to hide in a rabbit hole of personal taste and "top 40" has become such a weird thing.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Who cares if people enjoy Christmas albums? I don't give a flying gently caress about Pentatonix or Christmas music, but no point in running down people who do.
Also, charting has been rendered increasingly irrelevant in the intervening years as its become easier to hide in a rabbit hole of personal taste and "top 40" has become such a weird thing.

Yeah, you're right. Billboard is still big for the pop charts and charting is nice for little indie artists but the whole business isn't nearly what it was.

I also forgot Kid Cudi's gonna be on this week's releases.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I hope there's eventually a version of the Fragile that has vocal versions of the new tracks if any exist. The March in particular seems like it may have had vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAQZOvuAmz8

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I know but I want to hear Trent's version which presumably had different lyrics. Not that there's anything wrong with Saul's version, it's a great track.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I randomly came across the Tension 2013 tour video on YouTube and the description says there's a DVD/BluRay set to be released Spring 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBC3NXnN8y4

What the hell happened to that? I had completely forgotten about it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah I know but I want to hear Trent's version which presumably had different lyrics. Not that there's anything wrong with Saul's version, it's a great track.

If I remember the story right, Trent gave Saul a cd of unfinished instrumentals. There's probably no vocals recorded.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

I randomly came across the Tension 2013 tour video on YouTube and the description says there's a DVD/BluRay set to be released Spring 2014.

TR working on apple music probably stopped that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BANME.sh posted:

Trent said it was coming, then Trent said it was coming, then Trent said it was coming, then Trent said nothing.

It ain't happening.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Patriots day OST has popped up

2 discs
32 tracks

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What do you mean by popped up? Like info has been released or it has actually been leaked?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

What do you mean by popped up? Like info has been released or it has actually been leaked?

Apologies, it leaked

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You know, listening to it again I definitely hear plenty of the HM style (particularly in Dear World). Then there She's Gone Away which almost sounds like a cut Fragile piece. The Idea of You feels like an amalgamation of HM, WT, Fragile, and YZ in places. Burning Bright has a distinct guitar riff straight lifted from The Day The World Went Away at 3:37.

It actually makes me wonder (if any smarter NIN aficionado than I could check) if any or a lot of the instrumental of this EP is taken from samples of old NIN material. Making a song or an album of samples of your own work would be a pretty interesting experiment for a musician of Trent's longevity to undertake.

Anyway I still like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Ammat going off that I was wondering if there was any significance in the new ep having the same artwork as Still (roughly from fragile era) and Trent repackaging/releasing/reworking/working with Fragile tracks simultaneously.

Satellite from HM started as an idea of "what NIN would sound like in 2014ish" iirc.

What if Not The Actual Events is Trent exploring what a Fragile-era NIN would sound like in (basically) 2017?