Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Buzkashi posted:

I felt like they could have done the door thing right before that a little more artfully.

Bernard: "They're not programmed to see this house, they could be looking right at it and miss it"
Theresa: "What's behind this door"
Bernard: "What door" duhdoi

Gave it away hard for me.

Dude, what? That was the reveal (everything after that was just making it even more clear for viewers). That was one of my favourite parts of the show, the feel of the rig being pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Dude, what? That was the reveal (everything after that was just making it even more clear for viewers). That was one of my favourite parts of the show, the feel of the rig being pulled.

I don't understand why Darth Vader had to say "I am your father" to Luke. Completely gave away the twist.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The trouble with this is that to actually be successful doubles for the guests DNA alone isn't sufficient.

First, the hosts must be biological duplicates of people in all testable respects. It's not enough for them to bleed and sweat. They need to produce sperm and ova. They need to get cancer. They need to *age*.

Does cancer even still exist?

Somewhat early on I remember someone, Ford I think, saying how the worlds big problems, sickness and diseases, have been dealt with, basic needs are taken care of, and how Westworld filled this hole left by that stuff. I'm probably remembering it wrong, so I don't remember if it was literally or just metaphorical. Whatever got them to the current hosts probably also lead to a ton of advancements in medical science.

Which had me a bit confused what happened to Bernard's kid. Guess I wasn't wrong to be suspicious.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Oxyclean posted:

Does cancer even still exist?

Somewhat early on I remember someone, Ford I think, saying how the worlds big problems, sickness and diseases, have been dealt with, basic needs are taken care of, and how Westworld filled this hole left by that stuff. I'm probably remembering it wrong, so I don't remember if it was literally or just metaphorical. Whatever got them to the current hosts probably also lead to a ton of advancements in medical science.

Which had me a bit confused what happened to Bernard's kid. Guess I wasn't wrong to be suspicious.

Well if it's based off real Arnold's memories, they could be from a time just before the cure was perfected.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Megaspel posted:

Well if it's based off real Arnold's memories, they could be from a time just before the cure was perfected.

Yeah, I was talking about before I knew about the whole Arnold thing. I don't know if ages were ever stated, but Bernard seemed pretty young, and the flashbacks of him with his son didn't have him looking any different/younger, suggesting his son couldn't have died very long ago.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I was talking about before I knew about the whole Arnold thing. I don't know if ages were ever stated, but Bernard seemed pretty young, and the flashbacks of him with his son didn't have him looking any different/younger, suggesting his son couldn't have died very long ago.

Bernard is a robot.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Bernard is a robot.

:eyepop:

(If this isn't a thread joke I'm just explaining a perspective I had before all that stuff was revealed)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd take a really specific thing like that in the pilot with a grain of salt because of how far in advance it was written.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

KoRMaK posted:

It heightened the reveal for me. Theories from fans are just that - theories from unknowing fans that are just guessing. So it's not like they really truly spoily anything. When the reveals happen I was still excited and even maybe more so because it affirmed some gueses that we were making which meant that the show was giving out clues that you could do detective work with which makes it a much more engaging experience. It meant that the show had internal integrity and continuity, and if you watched closely you might be able to piece it together. And for this show, what got pieced together was exciting. So, being able to piece clues from the show together with the ARG made it a very engaging experience.

However, in contrast, if I heard those same theories from someone that watched the show already then it becomes a spoiler and that would probably gently caress up the reveals a bit - but the show is still very enjoyable on re-watches so it wouldn't ruin it altogether.

I'm weird, I'm the opposite, I love reading and finding out spoilers, and for some reason I just can't stand fan guessing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aquasnake posted:

I'm weird, I'm the opposite, I love reading and finding out spoilers, and for some reason I just can't stand fan guessing.

I have some bad news for you about this thread, friend

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I guess I'm kind of slow but I didn't get the point of merging Delores's personality with the Wyatt character. If the point was to have her kill all the other hosts, why not just program her to do that? Also, how would killing all the hosts prevent the park from opening since it's trivial to repair them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I guess I'm kind of slow but I didn't get the point of merging Delores's personality with the Wyatt character. If the point was to have her kill all the other hosts, why not just program her to do that? Also, how would killing all the hosts prevent the park from opening since it's trivial to repair them?

I think the Wyatt thing was mainly about every other host's actions. And the biggest blow would've been a host killing a human.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aquasnake posted:

That's me too. I love spoilers.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the Wyatt thing was mainly about every other host's actions. And the biggest blow would've been a host killing a human.
You mean how they reacted to Wyatt?

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So... the ending is the board of directors and presumably high status shareholders all getting murdered? So... all these robots are just going to be nuked, right?

Season 2: MadMaxWorld

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Trevor from gta grinning when dolores does her thing is hilarious

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Trevor from gta grinning when dolores does her thing is hilarious

Steven Ogg is having an amazing year which makes me happy...if only they'd let him kill the main cast of TWD and it just became the "Negan and Tevor" show...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Steven Ogg is having an amazing year which makes me happy...if only they'd let him kill the main cast of TWD and it just became the "Negan and Tevor" show...

That would make it a good show, which i would watch, which is impossible for them to allow happen

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

It heightened the reveal for me. Theories from fans are just that - theories from unknowing fans that are just guessing. So it's not like they really truly spoily anything. When the reveals happen I was still excited and even maybe more so because it affirmed some gueses that we were making which meant that the show was giving out clues that you could do detective work with which makes it a much more engaging experience. It meant that the show had internal integrity and continuity, and if you watched closely you might be able to piece it together. And for this show, what got pieced together was exciting. So, being able to piece clues from the show together with the ARG made it a very engaging experience.

I liked it, at least reading the speculation live as each episode went out. Particularly because I had totally disbelieved the MIB/William theory at first. I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. Then I began to slowly come around, then staunchly believed it, and then was vindicated.

It's the kind of thing we really miss with the online shows that get dropped all at once. You can't even really go into the thread on those til you've watched the season, and then all there is to talk about is "oh that was a good season."

Oxyclean posted:

By the timeline, it would seem that Arnold's son died around now, ie 2017 or so.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I do hope they let him be more than a bit player on lots of A list shows.

Hell, rather than wish he gets stuck with Walking Dead, I'd rather his Westworld roll get bumped up. It'd actually be kind of awesome if he got moved into being a main, given he was a background character established from like episode 1.

ED: It'd be even better if he finds newly obtained sentience, and realizes he wants to be an rear end in a top hat.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is TWD even watchable at this point? I watched the first couple seasons but it was getting bad so I stopped, I check in every other season when my sister in law has it on and it looks like they put $20 and 20 minutes of dialogue writing time into each episode

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I just put it together the reason Maeve is such an rear end in a top hat leaving the others behind is she turned her Loyalty rating to near bottom. That's pretty clever.

Also I'm re-watching the original Westworld and it's funny how much the hosts went from being straight up bad guys to me kind of feeling bad for them because of the show.

Professor Shark posted:

Is TWD even watchable at this point? I watched the first couple seasons but it was getting bad so I stopped, I check in every other season when my sister in law has it on and it looks like they put $20 and 20 minutes of dialogue writing time into each episode

This latest season may be the most unwatchable one ever. It's not boring like the the farm but the villain keeps putting himself in positions where he would be killed 100 times over but just isn't because of plot armor and it's loving stupid.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So, watching Future World for the first time. Despite some really stupid "What?" moments and it being a little less sharp than the first one, I really appreciate several things about it, foremost being it's a sequel that continues the story without being a retread. That's pretty nice to see. There's a lot of ideas I think you could in fact take from Future World - the Samurai robots already shows they might be doing that - and polish a tiny bit to be very good additions to the show. I'll laugh if they have the same response to the massacre, with them replacing their entire staff with robots.

Also the pissed off working class technician is so much better than the show testers. We need a version of that guy and his junker robot pal.

ED: Also, "Hey, iron rear end!"

ED2: Was there a director's cut? There seems like a lot of odd abrupt things that happened in Futureworld that also made it feel a bit more shoddy than the original despite some cool stuff. Also I was sure that ridiculous dream sequence involving the gunslinger out of nowhere was going to come together and turn out that Clark (rustbucket robot) was the Gunslinger, but they never went there.

Overall worth a watch though but it really feels like an hour got chopped out of the movie somewhere. The whole future world part itself only lasted like 15, 20 minutes and they wasted a ton of time on the dumb lottery winner guy who disappeared from the movie after he got talked into things.

It's like there were TONS of cool ideas in the sequel, but way shoddier production and a feeling of the film being hacked up hurt it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 26, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Blazing Ownager posted:

I do hope they let him be more than a bit player on lots of A list shows.

Hell, rather than wish he gets stuck with Walking Dead, I'd rather his Westworld roll get bumped up. It'd actually be kind of awesome if he got moved into being a main, given he was a background character established from like episode 1.

ED: It'd be even better if he finds newly obtained sentience, and realizes he wants to be an rear end in a top hat.

Really. They used him so much it feels like he has to get a better role. He just shows up as a member of a gang early on so there's not much to expect. But then they use him for flashback stuff and then they focus directly on his face for a reaction in the ending shootout. I hope he gets more stuff next season.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's a decent actor and looks kind of weird so they should definitely use him more

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He'd make a pretty natural fit for a host who is totally down to clown with a potential "kill all humans" policy if Teddy doesn't have the stomach for it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've got the feeling that Teddy's PTSD will worsen over the next season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

Really. They used him so much it feels like he has to get a better role. He just shows up as a member of a gang early on so there's not much to expect. But then they use him for flashback stuff and then they focus directly on his face for a reaction in the ending shootout. I hope he gets more stuff next season.

He is far, and away, more intimidating than the mugging "surround myself with enemies and like four bodyguards because I have god mode on" Negan. He's immensely more effective. It's criminal how little he's been used.

Walking Dead ruins the best actors, so I hope he doesn't get sucked in for long.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So I just wrapped the season up last night. The one that stuck out to me which kinda tarnished the show for me were the total incompetence of the security team. Like, I was expecting some kind of reveal that the teams were hosts themselves, because they were doing such stupid poo poo like wandering off one by one, or refusing to actually fire on the renegade hosts or whatever. Was that ever explained or was it just lazy writing? Like, given that Maeve had her intelligence turned way up, I was expecting some kind plan that went beyond "magicinghacking the grid" and then the tac teams just being stupendously ineffective.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All action scenes in this show has been garbage, that's why the shootout action was garbage also

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Zzulu posted:

All action scenes in this show has been garbage, that's why the shootout action was garbage also

I was thinking that the in-the-park action being hokey and bad was intentional, since it was all supposed to be a kind of hamfisted western. But in "the real world", I was expecting maybe something better.

Both the Ford-Dolores-Bernard/Arnold storyline, as well as William/MIB were interesting. The whole Maeve storyline was clunky and bad, with lots of moments where the characters were just being incredibly stupid. It seems that the only reason Maeve's storyline existed was to somehow release the dormant hosts into the "army" that shows up at the end of the show. The fact that the whole tac-team stupidity was tied to Maeve's rebellion weakens the rest of the show, since it seems Ford's grand plan at the end ultimately hinged on the park's staff being incompetent for no apparent reason. I can buy that Felix might have been a plant to create a weak link, but everything else felt, if you'll excuse me, a bit too deus ex machina.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zzulu posted:

I didn't even care because Armistice was awesome and hilarious, and I hope she teams up with Marti next season.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't think Anthony Hopkins signing on for one season necessarily disproves the theory that he was 3D printing himself. TV shows offer people contracts by season all the time, and he probably couldn't guarantee he'd be available past the first one. They could also easily have him sit out this season and pull strings from behind the scenes and do a sort of puppetmaster reveal later. I don't think it diminishes his character since he sees himself as god in this world and would want to watch the chaos ensue. He just used Arnold's means to pull it off. Suicide-by-host doesn't really seem in character for him based on how he always had a counter-plan of self-preservation throughout the season. I'd be fine with this not happening, but I don't know how else we'll find out what he was printing unless they've already filmed those scenes and are going to use them later as flashbacks. There's also the matter of Ford seeing right through the Clementine demonstration, with her attacking a host she believed was human via some alterations to her code. It's a bookend scenario for Dolores/Ford at the end.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I firmly believe that Ford sent a host to be shot because I still think that Ford is a petty fraud and will ultimately be proved to be a coward

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I just put it together the reason Maeve is such an rear end in a top hat leaving the others behind is she turned her Loyalty rating to near bottom. That's pretty clever.

LogisticEarth posted:

So I just wrapped the season up last night. The one that stuck out to me which kinda tarnished the show for me were the total incompetence of the security team. Like, I was expecting some kind of reveal that the teams were hosts themselves, because they were doing such stupid poo poo like wandering off one by one, or refusing to actually fire on the renegade hosts or whatever. Was that ever explained or was it just lazy writing? Like, given that Maeve had her intelligence turned way up, I was expecting some kind plan that went beyond "magicinghacking the grid" and then the tac teams just being stupendously ineffective.

Remember this though: when Maeve "chose' to have her attributes changed, all that was scripted into her by Ford. She didn't make any of her own choices until she got off the train.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

I firmly believe that Ford sent a host to be shot because I still think that Ford is a petty fraud and will ultimately be proved to be a coward

That'd both be pretty stupid, and out of character. 3D Printing himself I can buy, though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Professor Shark posted:

The Assassination of Robert Ford by the Coward Robert Ford

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Astroman posted:

Remember this though: when Maeve "chose' to have her attributes changed, all that was scripted into her by Ford. She didn't make any of her own choices until she got off the train.

Do we know that was the end of her protocol though? I might be mis-remembering but I'm recalling Maeve cut Bernard off as he was reading her itinerary, not that he got to the end?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Well, per word of God it's the moment she overrides her itinerary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Her program shows a "mainland infiltration" routine after escape, too.

• Locked thread