Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone have some advice on how to either speed up fishing or get better odds of catching quest fisj? I'm trying to make the cell phone before I hit hardmode, and I have everything but the three fishing quest items, but I've been hitting a string of bad luck when it comes to catching quest fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Tshock will let you fast forward time after each fishing quest is complete. But it's still not updated because they decided this was the best time to switch how the software works.

Honestly you're better off using the method I used for the LP

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

Just make a backup of your character file before using it in case you accidentally corrupt it.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Does anyone have some advice on how to either speed up fishing or get better odds of catching quest fisj? I'm trying to make the cell phone before I hit hardmode, and I have everything but the three fishing quest items, but I've been hitting a string of bad luck when it comes to catching quest fish.

Bottled Water + Waterleaf + Coral = Sonar Potion, which will reveal what's biting when you get a bite. You don't have to reel your line in if what's biting isn't the quest fish.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Use the sitting duck fishing pole that is buyable from the traveling merchant, enchanted nightcrawlers made from worms and stars, also make sure to make fishing and sonar potions.

If you have access to pumps and timers, you can use those to make or expand lakes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Make sure you have locations to fish for the various places quest fish can require, that are large enough, and you know how to get to quickly.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

RealFoxy posted:

Stuck on Duke Fishron/Lunatic Cultist and the Frost Moon waves, can't beat any of the three with current setup. Have Beatle armor, Terrarian Sword, Chainsaw, and currently using a Minishark with the bullets you can make from Nanites.

First I'd get either shroomite armour if you want guns or spectre if you don't. Next farm at least a galactic key from a martian invasion. Get that, kill fishron for razorblade typhoon if you went magic or go investigate better ammo if you didn't. Preeeeetty sure the bosses are immune to confusion from nano bullets. A tactical shotgun and chlorophyll ammo are monstrous, especially since you are at the point where you need to be moving around a lot.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Thank god this cantankerous old bastard finally gave up a Sextant, this thing is such a chore just because of him.

Started playing this again because my old comp died and it took my old worlds with it to the grave, but it is pretty fun starting all over from scratch minus all the grindy bits.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got some stupid herb/mushroom farm questions. I'm getting some basic farms set up before I hit hardmode:

1) Is there a way to protect my farms from the spread of Hallow? Like, can I surround them with a few layers of stone or whatever?
2) If I plant crimson seeds, do they need to be in a separate farm so they don't override the other stuff I've already put down?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wouldn't worry too much about spread unless your base gets hit with the initial swath of crimson/corruption, honestly. Crimson seeds don't need or cause biome changes, either.

You may want to invest in either crafting pots from clay or buying planters from the dryad. It's much easier to farm herbs in them than on plain dirt/grass, because they won't get destroyed by a swung weapon and they don't need special terrain to grow.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Someone pointed at the Thorium mod. It's big. Is it good?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It has some decent bosses and cool item additions that are pretty well balanced and helps smooth out progression.
The wiki is very well kept http://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Thorium_Mod_Wiki

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

1) Is there a way to protect my farms from the spread of Hallow? Like, can I surround them with a few layers of stone or whatever?
2) If I plant crimson seeds, do they need to be in a separate farm so they don't override the other stuff I've already put down?

Stone can be turned into ebon/crim/pearlstone. If you want an insulating material, use a three-tile-thick layer of brick, marble, or granite. Mushroom grass is also conversion-resistant, so a layer of mud with mushroom seeds on it would work. Jungle grass can resist conversion by the hallow, but not by corruption or crimson.

You need a certain quantity to tiles to change the biome, so a small patch of crimson grass is safe.

Note that for plants, you can use planters bought from the dryad. Having special grass is only useful if you want to farm mushrooms.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got some stupid herb/mushroom farm questions. I'm getting some basic farms set up before I hit hardmode:

If your world is large enough, build them in the air. You can place blocks under free-floating minecart tracks, and half a screen of empty air is the world's best insulator for or from crimson and corruption. Plus you're also going to want that glowing mushroom farm on or near the surface in Hard Mode for Truffle.

And like Vib Rib said, buy a bunch of planters from the Dryad for your herb farm. You can be like me here and buy a different planter for each type of seed, or just use the same one for each. But they are much better for letting plants grow.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

If your world is large enough, build them in the air. You can place blocks under free-floating minecart tracks, and half a screen of empty air is the world's best insulator for or from crimson and corruption. Plus you're also going to want that glowing mushroom farm on or near the surface in Hard Mode for Truffle.

And like Vib Rib said, buy a bunch of planters from the Dryad for your herb farm. You can be like me here and buy a different planter for each type of seed, or just use the same one for each. But they are much better for letting plants grow.

Will planters satisfy special blooming conditions for the plants, or do I need to do it anyway if I want the seeds?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pierzak posted:

Will planters satisfy special blooming conditions for the plants, or do I need to do it anyway if I want the seeds?

None of the blooming conditions require a specific soil type. It's always stuff like "during day", "during night", "when it rains", "on a full moon", etc. See wiki: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Plants#Herbs

Here's my planter area:

As you can see, several flowers are in bloom.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 24, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

None of the blooming conditions require a specific soil type. It's always stuff like "during day", "during night", "when it rains", "on a full moon", etc. See wiki: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Plants#Herbs

Here's my planter area:

As you can see, several flowers are in bloom.

Huh, I didn't know that fireblossom/waterleaf had alternate conditions.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Huh, I didn't know that fireblossom/waterleaf had alternate conditions.

They changed it in one of the major updates to go from "when submerged in water/lava" to "when it rains" and "in the afternoon." And thank god, because it was more than a little annoying getting the liquids just right otherwise.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Evil Mastermind posted:

Stick a chest at each of the fishing holes you use for quest fish. Pop a fishing power potion and fish for its duration. Each time you get a quest fish, put it in the box. If you don't have one in your inventory, the game will let you catch another one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Note that it only looks for it in your carried inventory. You can put the fish in your extended inventory (piggy bank, safe, defender forge) and it'll let you catch another.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Oh, that whole setup is close to the surface; I made sure of that so I don't have to go running all over the place for stuff. I'm not really up for making a HUGE farm since I don't use potions that often, but I want to make sure I have a steady source if I change my mind.

I also learned the hard way that you need to put something under your row of dirt/grass/snow/whatever or you get vines and poo poo getting in the way. :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, that whole setup is close to the surface; I made sure of that so I don't have to go running all over the place for stuff. I'm not really up for making a HUGE farm since I don't use potions that often, but I want to make sure I have a steady source if I change my mind.

I also learned the hard way that you need to put something under your row of dirt/grass/snow/whatever or you get vines and poo poo getting in the way. :(
Once you're getting into hard mode you'll want to use every relevant potion to your playstyle when fighting bosses. You don't need a huge farm though, just harvest regularly. Especially if you have a Rod of Regrowth, use that to harvest and you get more herbs.

And make sure you head back to hit your deathweed whenever a blood or full moon happens, they don't bloom otherwise. I think you can force wild ones to drop seeds anyway with that Rod of Regrowth, though.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Stick a chest at each of the fishing holes you use for quest fish. Pop a fishing power potion and fish for its duration. Each time you get a quest fish, put it in the box. If you don't have one in your inventory, the game will let you catch another one.

There's like six potential quest fish for each biome at minimum, and it still doesn't change the fact that you can only turn in one fish per day.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

Planters, man. Planters. They're platforms that you can make plants grow up on. Use them for all your plant farming needs.

(Except mushrooms but, you know, fungi aren't plants anyway.)

kvx687 posted:

There's like six potential quest fish for each biome at minimum, and it still doesn't change the fact that you can only turn in one fish per day.

More precisely, there's a total of 39 quest fishes. They're spread between height and biomes, and some are only in hardmode.
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Angler/Quests

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 25, 2016

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

kvx687 posted:

Catch as many quest fish as you can, take them all home, put them in a box next to the angler, log in on a new character, grab one give it to him, dump the reward in the chest, log out, repeat.

It's how I got the 200 quests cheevo. Five characters makes it go by hella faster.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

King Doom posted:

Catch as many quest fish as you can, take them all home, put them in a box next to the angler, log in on a new character, grab one give it to him, dump the reward in the chest, log out, repeat.

It's how I got the 200 quests cheevo. Five characters makes it go by hella faster.
I'd have to make a new map for it too.

Turns out that having wings doesn't help a base's accessibility to groundwalkers.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I decided to stop screwing around and just take out the Wall of Flesh and hit hardmode. I mean, I prepped a ton, and I doubt I'm going to have to worry about the corruption effect hitting my base, right?

Time to start moving EVERYTHING to the left! :argh:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think it'll grow through the tree. if you're really worried, just plant some Hallow.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The tree is a pretty good insulator but yeah, it'll eventually creep up from below.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Evil Mastermind posted:

So I decided to stop screwing around and just take out the Wall of Flesh and hit hardmode. I mean, I prepped a ton, and I doubt I'm going to have to worry about the corruption effect hitting my base, right?

Just start digging. Three wide, line with stone stone slabs in the dirt layer. You can cut it off.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

King Doom posted:

However, this doesn't count towards your individual quest counter for getting the Golden Fishing Rod/Bucket/Sponge, or for increasing the chance of getting the useful rewards, so you might want to do some quests on your actual character first.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Are there any goods that work well with thorium mod?

Seems decent so far.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is why I always build my base in the middle of the world.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

This is why I always build my base in the middle of the world.
Here's the funny thing: my base is in the middle of the world. I just didn't build the WoF-fighting platform all the way to the edge of the map so I started the fight about 1/4 of the way in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Here's the funny thing: my base is in the middle of the world. I just didn't build the WoF-fighting platform all the way to the edge of the map so I started the fight about 1/4 of the way in.
I'm like 99% sure that doesn't actually affect where the stripes come in.

EDIT: And by middle of the world, I mean, like, right where I spawn.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Thorium's great, and I can pretty much describe it as Terraria with a whole bunch of stuff added. My boyfriend and I have been going through an Expert large Thorium world, and it's been a completely new experience so far.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Colgate posted:

Thorium's great, and I can pretty much describe it as Terraria with a whole bunch of stuff added. My boyfriend and I have been going through an Expert large Thorium world, and it's been a completely new experience so far.

Any mods you would recommend to run with thorium?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

I'm like 99% sure that doesn't actually affect where the stripes come in.

EDIT: And by middle of the world, I mean, like, right where I spawn.

That's what I always do, too. I play solo so I always do small worlds.

New question, though: why isn't this valid housing? I'm just trying to get it set up for Truffle.

e: I tried making mushroom walls, but the game won't let me place them for some reason.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The background can't be natural. Also, you can't place walls over natural backgrounds. You need to break them first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what I always do, too. I play solo so I always do small worlds.

New question, though: why isn't this valid housing? I'm just trying to get it set up for Truffle.

e: I tried making mushroom walls, but the game won't let me place them for some reason.

That doesn't look like placed dirt walls. Natural dirt walls can't be used as a background (since those kinds determine enemy spawns.) You need to break them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You're gonna have to remove the dirt backwall all the way over from the closest point where it stops.