Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Halloween Jack posted:

What wrestler most perfectly fits the "look" that Vince supposedly wants? The natural answer would be Warrior (or Gary Strydom) but I think McMahon would prefer a Jim Hellwig that he could bill at 6'6" give or take a couple inches. Lex Luger, I guess?

Ted Dibiase Jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

What wrestler most perfectly fits the "look" that Vince supposedly wants? The natural answer would be Warrior (or Gary Strydom) but I think McMahon would prefer a Jim Hellwig that he could bill at 6'6" give or take a couple inches. Lex Luger, I guess?

Tom Magee

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mason Ryan

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

hates him so much he hired him for lots of money and made him the star of The Good Show

tbf if it weren't for Jericho he probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to become that star, seeing as Ryback was originally going to squash him at Wrestlemania

...that and the fact he had two incredibly good matches with Roman Reigns, especially at Extreme Rules, and Vince was VERY impressed with AJ.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Pre-Wellness era Batista, more or less. 2000 Triple H (Triple H still looks amazing, probably because he is not subject to wellness).

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The Face Of The WWE Randal K. Orton circa 2002-2014

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Halloween Jack posted:

Bobby Lashley was the most stereotypical Vince McMahon-approved body type that we've ever seen.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

vince calls apollo crews every day and screams at him for not being taller and white

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Bobby Lashley was the most stereotypical Vince McMahon-approved body type that we've ever seen.

He looked a bit too "Athletic" for Vince's taste.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there really evidence that Vince won't push people for being black, he was going to give Big E the Roman Push before HHH intervened

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So is there a parallel universe where Big E is awful and Roman Reigns is the leader of New Day? And instead of unicorns they talk about magic beans?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance Industries posted:

So is there a parallel universe where Big E is awful and Roman Reigns is the leader of New Day? And instead of unicorns they talk about magic beans?

No. This is the only existence you will get.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alain Post posted:

is there really evidence that Vince won't push people for being black, he was going to give Big E the Roman Push before HHH intervened

He was trying like hell to make Lashley the next Cena.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Venomous posted:

tbf if it weren't for Jericho he probably wouldn't have had the opportunity to become that star, seeing as Ryback was originally going to squash him at Wrestlemania

...that and the fact he had two incredibly good matches with Roman Reigns, especially at Extreme Rules, and Vince was VERY impressed with AJ.

You shouldn't trust Ryback wrt saying that he would've had a squash with AJ at Mania, since I'm pretty sure that Vince would promise some poo poo that will never happen to everybody who would complain about stuff he proposed to them.

AJ most likely worked with Jericho for his first program because Jericho is an excellent worker who's been with the WWE for over 15 years so he's like the only guy with worldwide experience who can guide AJ on how the WWE style works.

iirc there was some AJ interview somewhere where he said that the Royal Rumble appearance didn't convince Vince that he was over (since the Rumble was in Orlando where a lot of the crowd would have recognized him from TNA (Impact Zone and all) but subsequent house shows where he got the same reaction night in, night out led Vince to consider him one of the top guys in the company.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MassRafTer posted:

He was trying like hell to make Lashley the next Cena.

Ahmed Johnson got a monster push too. honestly the narrative seemed more like "Vince desperately wants a black top babyface" for a long time

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alain Post posted:

Ahmed Johnson got a monster push too. honestly the narrative seemed more like "Vince desperately wants a black top babyface" for a long time

Vince likely wants a black top babyface, a Mexican top babyface, and a Chinese top babyface. But I highly doubt any of them would have been given the role of being the Sammartino, the Cena, or the Hogan. They would have been the Savage, the Orton, the secondary top guy who isn't quite as big as the white top guy. Vince IS a 70 year old man, after all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rotinaj posted:

Vince likely wants a black top babyface, a Mexican top babyface, and a Chinese top babyface. But I highly doubt any of them would have been given the role of being the Sammartino, the Cena, or the Hogan. They would have been the Savage, the Orton, the secondary top guy who isn't quite as big as the white top guy. Vince IS a 70 year old man, after all.

Lashley was being pushed to be 1 or 1a. There's a reason he was chosen for the Battle of the Billionaires, it was to set him up as the next big main event babyface. Cena wasn't even going to get the Cena role at first, it was originally going to be Batista. That they were giving Lashley that kind of push is extremely telling.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Do you think Lashley would have continued to be pushed had he not called people bath-turds?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jason Sextro posted:

Do you think Lashley would have continued to be pushed had he not called people bath-turds?

Had more to do with him being a charisma vaccum who couldn't stay off the juice. Pretty sure he got wellnessed at least once for elevated liver enzymes, which is code for "Taking too many steroids even for WWE". Plus, there was a thing about his wife being treated in a way he didn't like? I don't remember what that was.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 23, 2016

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

This was Bobby Lashley's greatest moment btw

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Not really. As mentioned, he loved Ahmed Johnson and Bobby Lashley.

There's the whole "black people can win every title/award in sports and entertainment except the WWE Championship unless they're the Rock" but that's debatably not all on Vince I guess.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Had more to do with him being a charisma vaccum who couldn't stay off the juice. Pretty sure he got wellnessed at least once for elevated liver enzymes, which is code for "Taking too many steroids even for WWE". Plus, there was a thing about his wife being treated in a way he didn't like? I don't remember what that was.

There isn't a steroid threshold for the WWE. Tests are done independently. Steroid testing was a concession WWE made for tax purposes, to maintain their equilibrium, optimizing their tax benefits between sports and television while not allowing their talent health insurance or SAG cards or unions of any kind.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Yeah, why did Lashley's push stop anyways?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So what's the story with the Hulk Hogan raft that people mention every now and then?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TTBF posted:

So what's the story with the Hulk Hogan raft that people mention every now and then?

WCW was at one point doing such low buyrates that they offered people a free raft for buying a PPV.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Yeah, why did Lashley's push stop anyways?

He had the audacity to take time off for an injury while he was being pushed/got demotivated due to the racism of people like Michael Hayes.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
I know this sounds like a snarky question, but I've been wondering genuinely. Why did WWE rehire Jinder Mahal? Is it a diversity thing? He's loving awful and they do nothing with him.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They approached a bunch of guys who used to wrestle for them when they needed depth after the brand split. Most of the higher profile people (Tommy Dreamer was one iirc) declined due to the poor pay/pushes they were offering.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

They approached a bunch of guys who used to wrestle for them when they needed depth after the brand split. Most of the higher profile people (Tommy Dreamer was one iirc) declined due to the poor pay/pushes they were offering.

And not being able to pass the medical or having a link to domestic violence.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

And not being able to pass the medical or having a link to domestic violence.

Without giving the reasons they didn't sign, who got offers altogether?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
People keep pushing the whole "Vince McMahon hates black people" but ignore the fact that The Rock is half-black (though Vince probably never clued into that plus Rocky identifies more with his Samoan half).

Bobby Lashley was, indeed, pushed over big and everyone at the time figured he was the next Brock Lesnar. The problem was Lashley couldn't talk and had little physical charisma to make up for it like Brock had. As for why he fizzled out and went away it was mostly due to injuries in addition to Vince losing interest for Vince Reasons.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vince may actually hate black people but the idea that he'd never push one is crap

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Baron Corbyn posted:

Without giving the reasons they didn't sign, who got offers altogether?
MVP apparently got one, I think Stevie Richards was in the mix at some point as well.

You have to remember what we did get - Rhyno (who admittedly had been at NXT for awhile), The Spirit Squad, the fuckin Headbangers - and think of all the talent they probably would have preferred over them. Those are the people who passed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Shelton Benjamin was coming back but his shoulder is all hosed up IIRC

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Alain Post posted:

Vince may actually hate black people but the idea that he'd never push one is crap

someone post the Sin Cara Negro quote

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

MVP apparently got one, I think Stevie Richards was in the mix at some point as well.

You have to remember what we did get - Rhyno (who admittedly had been at NXT for awhile), The Spirit Squad, the fuckin Headbangers - and think of all the talent they probably would have preferred over them. Those are the people who passed.

Rhyno has been awesome in recent months, he is nowhere near the waste of roster space as the Headbangers are.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Shelton was literally about to debut, then went to the doctor and was told "Oh hey you are held together with bubble gum and forgotten prayers, lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I can't decide between Jinder Mahal or Curt Hawkins for most pointless re-hiring of the "new era"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Once Benjamin's shoulder heals up, he's still coming to SDL, right? What's his timetable for recovery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

I can't decide between Jinder Mahal or Curt Hawkins for most pointless re-hiring of the "new era"

The Headbangers