Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Brake lights and drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Brake lights and drive?

And throttle cable

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

I'm so goddamn hard right now.

Lurking this thread since about half way through and cannot get over the sheer awesome of everyone involved. I am not fit to be in AI but I would proudly have your cig bounce off my sad pale goon body. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
:f5:

oh GOD

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well Merry Christmas indeed!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This is the best thread.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Please let this truck do hot laps of the property today!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

19 o'clock posted:

Please let this truck do hot laps of the property today!

I think that's a little much to do, go figure my test drive deadline was a bit optimistic but I'm planning on a few late nights to be ready to move by Monday for reals, barring catastrophe.

I got to sleep around 6:30am today lol. Kept drifting mentally to places I don't like going so I just kept awake until I was too tired to dream

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
god fuckin' drat!!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I think that's a little much to do, go figure my test drive deadline was a bit optimistic but I'm planning on a few late nights to be ready to move by Monday for reals, barring catastrophe.

I got to sleep around 6:30am today lol. Kept drifting mentally to places I don't like going so I just kept awake until I was too tired to dream

Roger that and thanks for the update. Glad to see that the work remaining is the easy stuff compared to everything so far.

Take care of yourself and I hope your respective holiday celebrations are exuberant!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

14 BAR RIFF posted:

You should know well by now that setting normal deadlines for a project vehicle is a stupid idea as they can only disappoint you.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah, Sim is gonna wake up sometime next week to a rusty dump truck with straight headers doing donuts on his front lawn :black101:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tomarse posted:

You should know well by now that setting normal deadlines for a project vehicle is a stupid idea as they can only disappoint you.

Hell even the diagrams I printed were getting smart with me

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I swear we gotta get a convoy going for the final leg into Orlando

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

gently caress yeah, Sim is gonna wake up sometime next week to a rusty dump truck with straight headers doing donuts on his front lawn :black101:

This is the only proper way that this thread can end.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enourmo posted:

I swear we gotta get a convoy going for the final leg into Orlando

We'll need to scare up eleven long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Fourteen rough faced friends of Satan in a flat black city bus

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm good with this

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, do the truck gauges work or are you going to have the vangauges ride shotgun?

E: Also, do I spy with my little eye a rockauto box?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Zip ties, at least?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fermented Tinal posted:

So, do the truck gauges work or are you going to have the vangauges ride shotgun?

E: Also, do I spy with my little eye a rockauto box?

I'd imagine that the answer to that is "yes." He's using the truck's original trans, so the speedo should work (if it worked in the first place). But it's using the van fuel tank, so (if it got hooked up) the fuel level will have to come from the van cluster. And if the van had a tach, it would be that one too.

So probably some of both! Unless the van had a cable-operated speedo, in which case I guess he could plug the truck's speedo cable into it and have everything on one cluster.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Van cluster is probably electronic. I know the trucks and vans play catch-up when it comes to new tech, but GM was using electronic speedometers in its cars by 1987, if not earlier.

Also, I don't recall if it got discussed earlier in the thread, but how well will the transmission hold up to the 350? I've heard the SM420 is plenty stout, but aren't we talking nearly double the stock output here?

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Left Ventricle posted:

Also, I don't recall if it got discussed earlier in the thread, but how well will the transmission hold up to the 350? I've heard the SM420 is plenty stout, but aren't we talking nearly double the stock output here?

I have a 64 GMC pickup with an SM 420 behind a 350. It held up just fine to cover a 2,000km roadtrip + driving around since. Plus however long the PO was running it swapped.

The gear ratios leave a lot to be desired though. I noticed if I ran it at high revs for highway speeds that oil consumption increased drastically...

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Was it ever determined that the transmission was functional to begin with?

Edit: Oh, hey, something kind of relevant to the discussion about gearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_beuCWI8U

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 24, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

19 o'clock posted:

Was it ever determined that the transmission was functional to begin with?

Well, we know that neutral works, and I'm assuming there was gear oil in it. Short of taking it apart or driving it, the best you can really do is fiddle with the stick/turn the input shaft by hand.

Basically, we'll find out if it's trashed when 14 attempts the first burnout.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
From what I read online, however, it bears a great reputation as being very heavy duty.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

heavy duty.
Aah. Heavy Duty batteries: the lightest of duty battery.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I don't really know about throttle cables so...how big of a problem is the throttle cable? I'm guessing a really small one since no one's really talking about it. Is it something that exists that just needs to be connected and hooked up?

Anuvin
Jan 10, 2008
Death to the False Emperor!
Throttle cable is easy if the system originally used a cable, and most stuff does. I have a mechanical system that I converted to cable, and that was a bitch because of throttle geometry. But If it already used a cable and you have all the parts, you can use any old hardware store steel cable/wire/chain/leather/still living flesh.

e - For more info on throttle cables, this dude with a bad haircut will tell you how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smI2ijg4KcM

Anuvin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 24, 2016

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't really know about throttle cables so...how big of a problem is the throttle cable? I'm guessing a really small one since no one's really talking about it. Is it something that exists that just needs to be connected and hooked up?

If Dave can get the truck to where it's at today he can figure out the throttle cable. My vote is hand-pull throttle cable though. Attach it to the ceiling of the cab like an air horn.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, the assembly for the cable is still on the engine, and we still have the cable from the van is well. The trick now is just attaching it to the gas pedal and getting that all worked out.
But it's pretty small potatoes compared to everything else Dave's done so far, so I'm sure something will be worked out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The transmission will be fine, that wheezer of a 350 isn't going to stress it much more than the 6 that was in there.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, the assembly for the cable is still on the engine, and we still have the cable from the van is well. The trick now is just attaching it to the gas pedal and getting that all worked out.
But it's pretty small potatoes compared to everything else Dave's done so far, so I'm sure something will be worked out.

Actually final completion up to then abandoning the project at that exact moment was sort of the idea I had kicking around

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Actually final completion up to then abandoning the project at that exact moment was sort of the idea I had kicking around

The ultimate edge job.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A kindly goon would likely pay danno to smother 14" in his sleep.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

sirr0bin posted:

If Dave can get the truck to where it's at today he can figure out the throttle cable. My vote is hand-pull throttle cable though. Attach it to the ceiling of the cab like an air horn.

My vote is for one of these next to the driver's seat:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Anuvin posted:

e - For more info on throttle cables, this dude with a bad haircut will tell you how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smI2ijg4KcM

I prefer my throttle cable videos to be a little more practical:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzARBO7Zcnc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

• Locked thread