Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I'm a page late on Super Game Boy chat but since it's just a Game Boy in an SNES shell, I'm surprised no one figured out a way to swap it with Game Boy Color hardware to get GBC-only games working on the SNES.

That's an easy thing to say, but it's a lot harder to actually build the Game Boy Color hardware to properly communicate with the SNES and all that. There's all that extra stuff in the Super Game Boy including handling sending data to to be executed by the SNES CPU/audio processor etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Seconding this button. The Sanwa probably feels like it has no feedback because they activate with like feather touches. I had to replace mine because I would accidentally push them just by touching the button slightly which I'm not cool with. Seimitsu PS-14 buttons have a longer throw distance so you actually have to be trying to hit the loving thing in order to activate the switch. The difference is probably like 2mm in reality but the difference it makes is very noticable without changing the look and feel of your stick other than just needing to hit the button to hit the button.

yeah, actually the guy said he wanted a cherry switch and it's pretty equivalent to what a cherry black is for keyboards, no "click" but a really positive and smooth press

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mace Bacon posted:

Yeah, NTSC and RGB work perfectly, it's just anything PAL doesn't bring up colour. It would have been used for PAL stuff, and maybe it's worn out over time.

So if I get an RGB cable for my Aus Mega Drive (and maybe even the SC-3000 if that does RGB out) will that work? Since it seems RGB is it's own thing.

I assume it would, since by going through RGB you shouldn't have any of the color formatting that would have to be unpacked from the rest of the signal like it would through RF, composite, and S-Video. RetroGamingCables, for what it's worth, doesn't seem to differentiate between PAL and NTSC for their SCART cables, so that makes me assume that it's kind of a moot point when using RGB (console timings aside, of course).

Not sure about the SC-3000, though odds are good that it doesn't readily do RGB output if it has, say, a 5-pin DIN port for AV stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ah ahaha gently caress Mario Party 4 is the bad one? Oh well at least I have 8 and the five minutes of 9 I played weren't so bad, despite what everyone says about it. Really I need to get someone to play Board Game: Top Shop or Fortune Street with me, those are better video board games. Or I just like Monopoly knockoffs better.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Ah ahaha gently caress Mario Party 4 is the bad one? Oh well at least I have 8 and the five minutes of 9 I played weren't so bad, despite what everyone says about it. Really I need to get someone to play Board Game: Top Shop or Fortune Street with me, those are better video board games. Or I just like Monopoly knockoffs better.

Someday I'll finish a game of Dokopon Kingdom. Usually people give up in anger long before it gets to that point.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Dokopon Kingdom.

gently caress that game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Gave Mario Party 5 a spin and it's like night and day compared to 4. The Capsule gimmick is amazing, and there's a lot of chaos to be had by just tossing the things onto every free space you can find :unsmigghh:. It's wonderful having a proper choice of routes around the drat board again, let alone just being able to get around it without hoping a gimmick isn't going to gently caress me into a tiny little loop until I clear some requirement or the RNG is kind.

Turbinosamente posted:

Get Mario Party 2 if you have a Wii or WiiU, it's one of the best. I'm quite fond of Mario Party 8 too, incidentally.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Holy poo poo Dynamite Headdy is real good. sad I missed it all those years ago. my grandma had every mascot platformer for Genesis under the sun except this one apparently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheHoosier posted:

Holy poo poo Dynamite Headdy is real good.

YES! :byodood:

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
So I just picked up a used Sega Master System today, and I've been having some issues with controller input. Specifically, the up button. I've tried several different controllers but the problem remains. Does anyone know what could be causing it?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Tahjir posted:

So I just picked up a used Sega Master System today, and I've been having some issues with controller input. Specifically, the up button. I've tried several different controllers but the problem remains. Does anyone know what could be causing it?

SMS controller signals aren't encoded, so problems with up could be caused by a problem with pin 1 on the connector: http://pinouts.ru/Game/sega_ms_joy_pinout.shtml

Take a look inside the plug and make sure it isn't broken off or bent over. There could be an issue inside the console too but I don't think that's as likely.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Look in the controller port. Are all 9 pins still there?

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
All 9 are there, and they seem fairly straight.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

Holy poo poo Dynamite Headdy is real good. sad I missed it all those years ago. my grandma had every mascot platformer for Genesis under the sun except this one apparently.

Check out the Japanese version. It's the same design but a lot of the art assets were changed when coming over because everything in the 90s had to ANGRY!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Seconding this button. The Sanwa probably feels like it has no feedback because they activate with like feather touches. I had to replace mine because I would accidentally push them just by touching the button slightly which I'm not cool with. Seimitsu PS-14 buttons have a longer throw distance so you actually have to be trying to hit the loving thing in order to activate the switch. The difference is probably like 2mm in reality but the difference it makes is very noticable without changing the look and feel of your stick other than just needing to hit the button to hit the button.

Yeah, this is what I'm looking for. I'll pick some of these up then. Cheers guys.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/helmets_info/status/812478695474507776

I want this so bad. Gotta find out if I can import directly from BEEP or what the hell I need to do to get it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Monopthalmus posted:

https://twitter.com/helmets_info/status/812478695474507776

I want this so bad. Gotta find out if I can import directly from BEEP or what the hell I need to do to get it.

What's so special about the lot? Looks like a stock x68k. You'll be hampered by the lower clock speed and the lack of expandability to add a cf drive

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I can't tell if that's a joke post or not.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

flyboi posted:

What's so special about the lot? Looks like a stock x68k. You'll be hampered by the lower clock speed and the lack of expandability to add a cf drive

It's a raspberry pi case?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

ラズパイケース

Raz Pie case.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

There are (western) people in the shmups IRC who have had those for a while so it's not a BEEP exclusive afaik

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheHoosier posted:

I had a lot of trouble getting into it at first, but once you understand the game and can beat the first boss, the game is just a treasure..

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Random Stranger posted:

I had a lot of trouble getting into it at first, but once you understand the game and can beat the first boss, the game is just a treasure..

It's really tough but it oozes charm and has a really awesome style. Treasure puts out some really good poo poo, except Light Crusader which even then is alright.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

Check out the Japanese version. It's the same design but a lot of the art assets were changed when coming over because everything in the 90s had to ANGRY!

The Japanese version is way easier, actually. Dynamite Headdy's one of those games that had the difficulty jacked way up for the international release - a lot of it was just number tweaking but they did change a lot of boss and enemy patterns as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

TheHoosier posted:

except Light Crusader which even then is alright.

Light Crusader is definitely too short, but I really enjoy it and don't think it deserves its bad reputation at all. I'll even go as far as to say I prefer it over Landstalker, if only because it's not horrendously, spirit-breakingly difficult.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 24, 2016

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Rollersnake posted:

Light Crusader is definitely too short, but I really enjoy it and don't think it deserves its bad reputation at all. I'll even go as far as to say I prefer it over Landstalker, if only because it's not horrendously, spirit-breakingly difficult.

I loved LC as a kid, and still get some decent nostalgia kicks out of it. It just feels kinda clunky and tedious compared to their other games.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

TheHoosier posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Japanese version is way easier, actually. Dynamite Headdy's one of those games that had the difficulty jacked way up for the international release - a lot of it was just number tweaking but they did change a lot of boss and enemy patterns as well.

One way to do this is to get the Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box for PS2. It only came out in Japan but it's also on the Japanese PSN for PS3. As a bonus, you also get the Game Gear version!

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I want the thread to know I'm putting my newly RGB SNES on my Trinitron to good use with only the best:

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Tahjir posted:

I had one with a similar problem I fixed by reflowing the controller port's solder points.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Not sure about the SC-3000, though odds are good that it doesn't readily do RGB output if it has, say, a 5-pin DIN port for AV stuff.

Yeah its the same port as the first Master System and Mega Drive 1. In fact I'm using the AV cable from my Mega Drive 1 for video. Ah well.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Quick mame question. What's the best software for organising and deleting stuff? I have way too much crap that I want to get rid of but can't seem to find a one thing does all programme.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Rollersnake posted:

Yeah, the game is super short and the perspective makes some puzzles a pain in the rear end but it's still a great game. I think it's still going for about $10 these days and is at least worth playing at that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Miles McCloud posted:

I had one with a similar problem I fixed by reflowing the controller port's solder points.

Same.

Although it was one of the first soldering jobs I ever did on a console and I screwed up bad enough that left and right no longer worked. :saddowns:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mace Bacon posted:

I want the thread to know I'm putting my newly RGB SNES on my Trinitron to good use with only the best:

Legendary America Kusoge!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so looks like the mega man nes games are coming to IOS, so if you wanted those gutsman platforms to be even harder...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Quick mame question. What's the best software for organising and deleting stuff? I have way too much crap that I want to get rid of but can't seem to find a one thing does all programme.

Do you mean you have a complete romset and want to delete stuff, maybe reduce to a filtered list?

I think clrmamepro will be your best bet but will likely need advanced usage. You can generate databases from mame exe's via commandline and can potentially isolate a filtered list from there.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

univbee posted:

Do you mean you have a complete romset and want to delete stuff, maybe reduce to a filtered list?

I think clrmamepro will be your best bet but will likely need advanced usage. You can generate databases from mame exe's via commandline and can potentially isolate a filtered list from there.

Pretty much. I used that to get rid of all the stupid sexy poo poo and the mahjong games. Now I just want to basically scroll through and get rid of the rubbish I will never play. I need one that will show me the game title not just the zip name.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Pretty much. I used that to get rid of all the stupid sexy poo poo and the mahjong games. Now I just want to basically scroll through and get rid of the rubbish I will never play. I need one that will show me the game title not just the zip name.

Maybe something like mame32ui will let you delete stuff, like in a right-click menu?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It occurred to me as I'm sitting here on a day where I have literally nothing to do but wait for people, that I haven't played a few of Treasure's games. So I'm going to fill in some gaps.

First up was McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, which I think was their first released game. And you can see all the signs of what Treasure would become in it. There's the visual style which is very similar to Dynamite Headdy, the bosses with completely confusing patterns, and the strange difficulty curve that goes from absurdly easy to completely insane on a moment's notice.

The worst part of Treasure Land Adventures is the autoscrollers where in some sections you have only one shot at getting through the area safely and you may not know when that is until it's too late. On the Treasure scale I'd rate it as "an empty box with a note saying the real treasure is your friends".

Next up for me is Bangai-O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've only really ever played Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers. Gunstar is super fun and I prefer it over Contra and Mischief Makers is one of my favorite games ever.

I heard Wario World is really good too.

• Locked thread