Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not really Steam Sale related, but opinions on Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Also are the incremental deluxe editions worth it?

I really really liked Inquisition. Like it's not perfect and not in my top ten or anything but it's like a summer blockbuster. It's fun to just play and gently caress around with all the abilities and characters and listen to the banter. It has some great banter. I've played through it twice and am playing through it a third time (very slowly) so I can play the DLC.

No actual opinions on the dlc but I've heard trespasser is really really good and like a necessity now for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I liked DA:I a lot. Shame you missed the really good deal Uplay had the other day when they goofed on their Origin/Steam discounts, as the GotY version was only 9 bucks then.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not really Steam Sale related, but opinions on Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Also are the incremental deluxe editions worth it?

Much to my amazement, yes. After watching the complete playthrough SubponticatePoster did of the game, it is safe to say that the story based DLC did add side elements that were interesting enough to warrant inclusion. Trespasser moreso than any of the rest.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

FadedReality posted:

Specifically Bioware with Mass Effect 2 & 3 and Dragon Age 2. It's really loving annoying for the ME games, yeah. At least they dropped it and you can get the middling Dragon Age Inquisition DLC for a discount!

Not at all steam related, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the ps+ version of Mass Effect 2 on PS3 includes the only DLC story packs worth buying (Overlord and Shadow Broker). Fuckin' lol at that bioware points poo poo for DLC nowadays

kater
Nov 16, 2010

DAI is, like all DA games, both good and bad. I don't hate the game, but maybe it wanted me to by the end. I was 100%ing the zones as I went along and quite enjoying the game then just about 60% the way through I did one zone where the game just turned and I couldn't stand the ridiculous map icon hunt 'sidequests' and pointless one button combat anymore and I ignored like 3 full zones and rushed through the remaining main story bits and didn't much enjoy any of it.

Also the deluxe edition is different from the goty edition. Do not pay extra for the stupid deluxe thing they are stupid crap. The goty edition is the best way to get the DLCs which apparently people like, but I couldn't finish what was on the plate to start with, ordering more seems unnecessary.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Clockwerk posted:

Agreed, and even worse, sometimes the price of these games on sale can go UP from what they started at. I was eyeballing Stellaris at $20 but they decided to up it to $27 and out of my price range, just because they can. Bah humbug to you, Gabe

Is this true? I'm expecting the usual Steam gift card from my brothers on Sunday, hopefully the prices on the games I'm looking to purchase will stay level :ohdear:

Is this a common practice? Never heard it mentioned before.

Also since some people are doing this, here's my interest so far:

Strong - Basically locked in on these ones.
Kopanito All Stars SoccerGifted! Sadly I can't play till Monday when I'm back at my apartment :( Thanks Kragger99
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Abzu

Medium Energy - I feel like I'll end up grabbing one of these three.
GTA V
Doom
Hitman

If I Get Drunk On Christmas - I'm liable to buy two of these. I only drink like 2-3 times a year, so this could happen
The Long Dark
Elite Dangerous (I can play with my joystick I drunk-purchased several years ago!)
Just Cause 3
Stellaris

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 24, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm trying to get a read on this Megadimension Neptunia VII game. It's got overwhelmingly positive reviews but the store page doesn't do a great job of actually describing the game. Is it just a really good jrpg? Is it one game or a compilation? Do the waifus have compelling storylines? I must know more!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I'm trying to get a read on this Megadimension Neptunia VII game. It's got overwhelmingly positive reviews but the store page doesn't do a great job of actually describing the game. Is it just a really good jrpg? Is it one game or a compilation? Do the waifus have compelling storylines? I must know more!

it's a kind of stand alone jrpg in the series that has the best mechanics of the series and stuff. I love jrpgs but couldn't take this game. it loving falls over itself trying to be meta and humorous and after several hours of the rather uninspiring gameplay I just shelved it. So not worth it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

why should we help you? you're just gonna buy Sanctum 2 instead anyway.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

kater posted:

DAI is, like all DA games, both good and bad. I don't hate the game, but maybe it wanted me to by the end. I was 100%ing the zones as I went along and quite enjoying the game then just about 60% the way through I did one zone where the game just turned and I couldn't stand the ridiculous map icon hunt 'sidequests' and pointless one button combat anymore and I ignored like 3 full zones and rushed through the remaining main story bits and didn't much enjoy any of it.

Also the deluxe edition is different from the goty edition. Do not pay extra for the stupid deluxe thing they are stupid crap. The goty edition is the best way to get the DLCs which apparently people like, but I couldn't finish what was on the plate to start with, ordering more seems unnecessary.

The biggest DAI tip i found out too late is follow the main thread through the first open world zone, maayyybe some side quests and get the gently caress out. There's like 15 hours of stuff to do there to 100% that zone and it will eat your soul way before you finish it and move on to much cooler looking zones.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 24, 2016

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

why should we help you? you're just gonna buy Sanctum 2 instead anyway.

"Hey guys help me choose a jrpg!"

"Hey guys I just bought Farcry 3 instead thanks though!"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

it's a kind of stand alone jrpg in the series that has the best mechanics of the series and stuff. I love jrpgs but couldn't take this game. it loving falls over itself trying to be meta and humorous and after several hours of the rather uninspiring gameplay I just shelved it. So not worth it.

Yeah I guess I'd say this is what I find confusing. The story (from the very base knowledge I have) seems real dumb, so I assume the glut of good reviews are from people loving the gameplay? I'm just curious because I'm of the opinion that most jrpgs play identically.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I guess I'd say this is what I find confusing. The story (from the very base knowledge I have) seems real dumb, so I assume the glut of good reviews are from people loving the gameplay? I'm just curious because I'm of the opinion that most jrpgs play identically.

i never finished it so maybe it adds some poo poo but yeah it was just a standard jrpg with super anime characters. maybe the characters get deep and turn shakespearean instead of memey who knows not me cause it wasn't interesting at all

I say this as someone who loves Persona 4, Trails in the Sky and has played all the final fantasies save for the xv.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

PantsBandit posted:

It's a game full of anime girls who make hilarious references to video games, of course nerds give it rave reviews.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Grim Dawn I'd really like to pick this game up. How is the match making to find a random person to play with? Or can you only join private games? Does it feel more like diablo 2 or diablo 3?

And can you hold the left click to attack or is this a mouse killer like d3 was?

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 24, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

do you want some kawaii anime waifus?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

do you want some kawaii anime waifus?

Sold.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

Grim Dawn I'd really like to pick this game up. How is the match making to find a random person to play with? Or can you only join private games? Does it feel more like diablo 2 or diablo 3?

Diablo 2, by far.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Owlboy--worth it for $20 or wait for a bigger price drop in the future?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I wanna tackle my backlog.

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

e: ignore speedrunners, it's MP, shouldn't be on the backlog list

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 24, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

grrarg posted:

I'm in the mood for a turn-based dungeon crawler. Can anyone recommend one that isn't one of the usual suspects like Darkest Dungeon, Legend of Grimrock, Might & Magic X, or the Wizardries? I've played all of those.

Dungeon of the Endless™ - $2.99 (-75%)
Paper Sorcerer - $2.49 (-50%) - old school western-style RPG

also (but I haven't played these, but they are on my wishlist)

7 Mages
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians - active-pause system
Stranger of Sword City
Mind Zero

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 24, 2016

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

hotline miami and marlow briggs but sleeping dogs is the game you should play first and instead of all the others.

speed runners really isn't worth it either. it's fun but you're playing against people who have been playing this game and just know the levels so much better than you ever will.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

I am glad I learned about the existence of this game. I am assuming it does not have a character as amazing as the Illuminati faction handler in the Secret World, though. (Anyone who plays the Secret World, they may say you can choose your faction but that is a lie, you have to play as the Illuminati)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://howlongtobeat.com/steam.php

Just insert your Steam community ID and sort from shortest to longest, it's no hassle really

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Go finish SpaceChem! :unsmigghh:

(for serious though go finish Shadowrun Returns. It's relatively short, has a snappy little campaign, and is fun. It's not the party-based Persona 4 knock-off that Dragonfall is, but it has its own charm and I enjoyed it!)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

TG-Chrono posted:

Is the DLC for Europa Universalis 4 any good? Which should I get if any?

Yeah they are. Get Art of War and Common Sense. Rights of Man is also great but probably not on much of a sale since it just came out recently.

It's all decent to greater or lesser degrees though, depending on how much you're willing to spend, the only "meh" ones (of the main DLCs, cosmetics are personal taste) are Mare Nostrum and Conquest of Paradise. A lot of them are more directed though, focusing on just one or two regions, whereas Rights of Man, Art of War and Common Sense have big features that are important as any nation.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

TSW sounds awesome with the investigations and all, but my experience was running around doing some pretty pointless MMO quests while shooting zombies with a lovely combat/crafting system and an overblown skill system. I probably played it wrong?! :shrug:

I will concede that the VA and dialogue I was exposed to were very good for a videogame, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm not kidding about how good Lara Croft GO is, guys. I made a YouTube account just to share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTKtl4vDbU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Think I'm going with this. I've wanted Wolfenstein for a long while, Hyper Light Drifter is in lieu of getting Furi because Zelda > DMC, Trillion seems good nonsense and big discount, and the other two are $2 and seem interesting.

I kind of feel like Steam sales for me have become an attempt to avoid what is in the upcoming Humble Monthly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mystic Stylez posted:

TSW sounds awesome with the investigations and all, but my experience was running around doing some pretty pointless MMO quests while shooting zombies with a lovely combat/crafting system and an overblown skill system. I probably played it wrong?! :shrug:

I gave TSW a lot of slack because I dug the themes, and yet I couldn't even stick with it past like the second main area because of the grindy combat encounters. I got a second copy of the game with one of the recent Humble Bundles so I think I might try it again.

I just really love any milieu that mixes modern-day cities with the supernatural (Vampire is one of my favorite games of all time) and so I would be willing to try any game that does something in that space

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am glad I learned about the existence of this game. I am assuming it does not have a character as amazing as the Illuminati faction handler in the Secret World, though. (Anyone who plays the Secret World, they may say you can choose your faction but that is a lie, you have to play as the Illuminati)

Sadly no, and voice acting quality varies a bit from handler to handler. But it's not really a character driven game. The idea is you're some farflung Illuminati deskjockey so the most human contact you have is hearing the voice of your commanding officer who assigns you tasks. I probably undersold the good parts of TSW because there IS more than the investigations. It's just, the investigations are so incredibly standout that it's something I'd gladly play a game of without the rest.

kater posted:

Think I'm going with this. I've wanted Wolfenstein for a long while, Hyper Light Drifter is in lieu of getting Furi because Zelda > DMC, Trillion seems good nonsense and big discount, and the other two are $2 and seem interesting.

I kind of feel like Steam sales for me have become an attempt to avoid what is in the upcoming Humble Monthly.

I'm sure others will tell you differently but Wolfenstein New Order was badly paced and loaded with filler and the combat didn't really do anything to make up for it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Zetsubou's games wot i quite like - pointless christmas awards edition

Part 1 Part 2
Part 3

UFO: Aftermath - $1.35 (-66%) - the early-2000's version of XCOM
UFO: Aftershock - $1.35 (-66%) - sequel to Aftermath, with enough differences in both the combat and global layers to not just be "more of the same", but still an XCOM style game
UFO: Afterlight - $1.39 (-80%) - the final game of the UFO:After* trilogy, set on mars
Super House of Dead Ninjas - $1.39 (-80%) - fast-paced action arcade homage to the 16-bit era
Bad Mojo Redux - $1.49 (-75%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka
Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube - $1.49 (-85%) - chill first-person puzzler
Smooth Operators - $1.49 (-50%) - sim game about running a call center presented in a Simtower style.
Quell Collection - $1.59 (-80%) - relaxing object sliding puzzles
Cross Set - $1.64 (-45%) - logic puzzle game
100% Orange Juice - $1.74 (-75%) - a fun multiplayer board game
Circuits - $1.74 (-65%) - try to construct a piece of music from samples
MOAI: Build Your Dream - $1.74 (-75%) - time-management game along the lines of the Labors of Hercules series
One Way Heroics - $1.74 (-50%) - rougelite about outrunning the creeping blackness - has an expansion DLC
Eador: Genesis - $1.79 (-70%) - strategy game along the line of the old HoMM games, with a looooong main campaign
The Bridge - $1.89 (-81%) - puzzle game inspired by M. C. Escher
Color Assembler - $1.99 (-75%) - abstract puzzle game about mixing colors in the right order
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut - $1.99 (-80%) - sci-fi first-person puzzler
Receiver - $1.99 (-60%) - minimalist fps. The minimalism doesn't apply to the controls, however
Retro/Grade - $1.99 (-80%) - rhythm-based shmup
Reus - $1.99 (-80%) - god-sim where you control elemental titans to guide civilizations

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kater posted:

I watched a review for Trillion, and it looks like boring nonsense - lots and lots of grinding, bland combat, and only two boss monsters in the game. Please don't spend 9$ on it without looking more into it!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

grinding to beat the two boss monsters is the point of trillion, though

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

As others have said, you need to play Sleeping Dogs regardless.

That said, Long Live the Queen is somewhat short depending on the actions you take. The problem is that you will die and then you will want to try playing via a different skillset again. And again. And again.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
So I've been looking at a bunch of games to pick up this year, but I'm trying to keep it under a certain budget ($50), so I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on a few games. I will probably go over the budget, if I choose to get one of the big ticket games.
As of right now I'm thinking of:

Carpe Fulgur Bundle I've played Recettear at a friends house, and know I'll just get hooked, plus Fortune Summoners looks fun, so this one is guaranteed.

Quadrilateral Cowboy Kept hearing about this, never looked into it until a week ago, and it looks right up my alley, but I'm not sure if it's worth $20.

Rise of the Tomb Raider I know I will get this at some point, but I'm really hoping to get it for cheaper than $35. I was hoping Square would put on a sale, but apparently the only one I've seen them do is in Europe.

Shadow Warrior 2 I've heard this is a bit like Borderlands, and from the little I've seen of it, it looks a lot better than the first, which was underwhelming for me.

Enter the Gungeon I loved BoI until the developer started messing with the game to make it more frustrating, and I hear this one is more of the same, but for about $9 I may not mind that much.

Dungeon Siege Collection I played the second one a bit when I was younger and quite liked it, seems like a steal for $6.

Audiosurf 2 Enjoyed the first one, but don't know if it's worth getting the second really, but it's pretty cheap.

I have a ton of stuff on my wishlist, but these games are the only ones that seem worth the price right now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If there is anything I missed on my Wishlist which would be worthwhile, I'd be glad to hear about that too. http://steamcommunity.com/id/zwethegreat/wishlist/?sort=price

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 24, 2016

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I bought Trillion this sale, but I'm considering refunding it, the controls are atrocious. Didn't realize it was a vita port at first but it's really obvious in the first gameplay segment. The keyboard defaults to something ridiculous like ijko for action keys or something. So I plugged in a controller and at first I thought it wasn't registering my inputs but actually it was just because it was a vita port so the weirdly restrictive camera controls that (I guess) made sense on a tiny handheld just look stupid on my PC. And the tutorial segements all reference the buttons on a vita I think. Or maybe an xbox controller not sure. At any rate it requires keybinding everything yourself or a great deal of trial and error. Would not recommend buying.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

So I've been looking at a bunch of games to pick up this year, but I'm trying to keep it under a certain budget ($50), so I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on a few games. I will probably go over the budget, if I choose to get one of the big ticket games.
As of right now I'm thinking of:

Carpe Fulgur Bundle I've played Recettear at a friends house, and know I'll just get hooked, plus Fortune Summoners looks fun, so this one is guaranteed.

Quadrilateral Cowboy Kept hearing about this, never looked into it until a week ago, and it looks right up my alley, but I'm not sure if it's worth $20.

Rise of the Tomb Raider I know I will get this at some point, but I'm really hoping to get it for cheaper than $35. I was hoping Square would put on a sale, but apparently the only one I've seen them do is in Europe.

Shadow Warrior 2 I've heard this is a bit like Borderlands, and from the little I've seen of it, it looks a lot better than the first, which was underwhelming for me.

Enter the Gungeon I loved BoI until the developer started messing with the game to make it more frustrating, and I hear this one is more of the same, but for about $9 I may not mind that much.

Dungeon Siege Collection I played the second one a bit when I was younger and quite liked it, seems like a steal for $6.

Audiosurf 2 Enjoyed the first one, but don't know if it's worth getting the second really, but it's pretty cheap.

I have a ton of stuff on my wishlist, but these games are the only ones that seem worth the price right now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If there is anything I missed on my Wishlist which would be worthwhile, I'd be glad to hear about that too. http://steamcommunity.com/id/zwethegreat/wishlist/?sort=price

the carpe fulgur is a good choice.

No opinion on quadrilateral cowboy.

Rise of the tomb raider. Have you played the first yet? If you haven't just get that, if you have and want more but not quite as good then go for it.

Shadow Warrior 2 is nothing like borderlands 2 at all. Like SW2 has some random enhancements you pick up for guns and some actual good jokes and is a good shooty game. Though some of the levels have some poo poo enemies and terrible design. Still way bunch of fun.

Enter the Gungeon wishes it was BoI but fails in a lot of ways. Bad levels, bad items, bad item progression.

Dungeon Siege collection - I just don't know how this got on your list. None of the games are anything special. they don't really hold up and just save your money.

edit: From the wishlist, ticket to rider, arcanum, owlboy, astroneer and factorio.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Avasculous posted:

I loved the idea of this one and found the execution disappointing, mostly because of the balance. It's a crafting/survival game where killing and thieving is a huge accelerator for you. The game counts on you not doing this early by making attacking/stealing from armed characters very dangerous, and doing it to unarmed characters makes your people (at least the moral ones) depressed, inefficient, and prone to suicide.

This sounds fine on paper. The problem is that the former is not hard to game, and as soon as you get your hands on a decent gun (by getting the drop on a soldier), nothing is any threat any more and you can murder your way into a flood of resources. By like 60% of the way through the game, I had built everything possible and had piles of assault rifles, flak jackets, distilled water, medicine, etc., leaving me to just run out the clock with nothing to do.

This was with the moral starting characters too- it's probably even faster if you play with the amoral ones that can prey on civilians without consequence.

This was a year and a half ago, so it might have gotten better with patches and it might be better if you set an arbitrary no murder rule for yourself.

Dunno, that sounds pretty realistic; you became a goddamn warlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

H13 posted:

There's no overall story mode, and each character story is anywhere between 2-4 fights long (usually only 1 round) depending on the character. They were also shamefully easy. I was able to score perfect KOs in a fair few of them.

That's the slapdash single player stuff the game launched with. This is the proper story mode. Not that I'd recommend anyone buy SFV specifically for it.

• Locked thread