Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
If you actually care about the hardware specs of nintendo consoles as they compare to microsoft and sony, you haven't been paying attention for the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Moreover, who buys a Nintendo console and cares about ports? Even further, almost everyone in this GPU thread has a gaming PC to embarrass the other 2 consoles. Play your ports on that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fauxtool posted:

yeah totally and 144hz is pointless because you cant even see over 24fps.

You almost got me.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Fauxtool posted:

yeah totally and 144hz is pointless because you cant even see over 24fps.

REEEEe

I've got my 1080p samsung 27" overclocked to 76hz and even that makes a huge difference

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlayVus posted:

Also dont understand the point of going past 1080p for a phone screen. More resolution equals less battery life.

The human eye can only see in 720p anyway

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Also dont understand the point of going past 1080p for a phone screen. More resolution equals less battery life.

It does look better on OLED phones where they use that weird PenTile subpixel arrangement. >1080p on LCDs is dumb though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

cat doter posted:

If you actually care about the hardware specs of nintendo consoles as they compare to microsoft and sony, you haven't been paying attention for the last decade.

I'm saying that the technology now exists for Nintendo to have a truly innovative product, one that makes sense even for them. Change *nothing else* about the product overall except to put in a Tegra X2 instead of an X1, and at least 6 GB of shared RAM, and Nintendo has a product that sells like the original Wii, even if it can't quite live up to the promises that it's making.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 24, 2016

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone run into an issue where g-sync will stop activating until you go into the nvidia control panel and disable it then enable it again? This crops back up just about every day for me.

Edit: Grammar is hard

buffbus fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 24, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm saying that the technology now exists for Nintendo to have a truly innovative product, one that makes sense even for them. Change *nothing else* about the product overall except to put in a Tegra X2 instead of an X1, and at least 6 GB of shared RAM, and Nintendo has a product that sells like the original Wii, even if it can't quite live up to the promises that it's making.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Price it at $199 and you have a product that sells like the Wii. It's pretty apparent Nindendo is designing for price, and they need to be very competitive since PS4/XBONE are $250.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

While I was googling around some error code for a recent blue screen I'd had, I stumbled across some microsoft pages talking about some driver verifier thing you can load up from the command prompt. I decided to load the GPU drivers into it to test if that was causing the blue screens.

Don't do that if you actually want to play games though because it turns out it makes them run like poo poo.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I would love to see a goon-developed nintendo console. It would end up as a 10lbs crate w/ a watercooled gtx-1080, cost $2k, be released in 2019 and no one would buy it, but man those hardware specs

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tegra X2 is hardly a 1080...

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Infinotize posted:

I would love to see a goon-developed nintendo console. It would end up as a 10lbs crate w/ a watercooled gtx-1080, cost $2k, be released in 2019 and no one would buy it, but man those hardware specs

Lmfao so true

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Infinotize posted:

There's nothing unreasonable about suggesting that they should use current-gen hardware or at least last-gen hardware that's not clocked at 30% of the clock speed it's capable of running at. I'm pretty sure they could use an X2 and not have an unreasonably priced console, they're just Nintendo and they always choose to use slower hardware.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, 28nm is a heck of alot cheaper than 14nm to manufacture, and I bet if they could they'd go for 45 or 65 or something like that lol. At least technically they could change the speed at which it runs in the future unless they are exclusively using tegra X1s that were parametrically limited lol or they got nvidia to tweak it down, but I doubt it unless the power savings over just downclocking were substantial enough

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fatal posted:

Price it at $199 and you have a product that sells like the Wii. It's pretty apparent Nindendo is designing for price, and they need to be very competitive since PS4/XBONE are $250.

They won't have another product that sells like the Wii just like they will never have another portable that sells like the original DS. Grandparents were buying Wiis for their grandkids and then going back and buying one for themselves. These people didn't care about games beyond Wii Sports, they didn't care about the WiiU and they won't care about the Switch.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The gimmick doesn't resonate with the whole family but it draws their substantial handheld userbase into at least taking a look at the traditional console market and is pretty clearly going to destroy all but their greatest successes in sales. The price is the only thing standing in the way and if they sell a version for $199 or $249 then it will work. honk honk

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
it's a hardware upgrade to the 3ds and that's all that matters to me. i would imagine it will have a similar library

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Peltier/TEMs have gone the way of the Dodo as well, it seems. My guess is that Vapochills got too expensive to recharge, or violated some regulations.
Edit: late post but still cool topic to me

Problem was warranty issues (lots of failures cuz' they cheaped out on build quality or got damaged in shipping), cost of the unit + running it 24/7, and 24/7 phase change is tricky to maintain.

Condensation is a hard problem to stop in a lot of climates and killed lots of CPU's and mobo's. I found lots of dielectric grease in and around the socket + paranoid levels of insulation was workable but tear down and set up was arduous and messy.

Anyone else here use a Chilly1 semi-custom unit? Mine was only single stage but still was badass then and even more badass now. If only it still worked. :/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 24, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I'm sure the idea of current gen hardware has literally never been raised by any employee at Nintendo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Infinotize posted:

I'm sure the idea of current gen hardware has literally never been raised by any employee at Nintendo

i wouldn't be surprised if they don't know what current gen hardware looks like

quote:

At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in [Nintendo's] development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the Switch was priced like the Wii, it would just be a less costly failure.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but do NVidia support async compute for Vulkan/DX12 yet? Is there any indication that they ever will?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They do in software, but from what I understand, all they've done in Pascal is make the context switching fast. They don't "really" support it on a hardware level, not like AMD.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Brownie posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but do NVidia support async compute for Vulkan/DX12 yet? Is there any indication that they ever will?

From the earliest benchmarks pascal appears to gain about 50% of what AMD gains in DX12 over DX11 in apples to apples examples. At first... back then... in totally unreliable DX12 benchmarks.

Claimed support for async compute in early marketing slides and frankly not much else has come from it since. Tbh I'm kind of glad I dont hear "ASHES OF THE SINGULARITY THOUGH???" every drat day but I am looking forward to real DX12 progress.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Alright thanks for confirming. The implementation in Doom is pretty amazing (gave me like an extra 20 fps on my AMD 280X) but I am also skeptical that it'll see widespread adoption for a couple years. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend $500 CAD on a 1070 and then see it in every game :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brownie posted:

Alright thanks for confirming. The implementation in Doom is pretty amazing (gave me like an extra 20 fps on my AMD 280X) but I am also skeptical that it'll see widespread adoption for a couple years. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend $500 CAD on a 1070 and then see it in every game :(

For good or for ill, next-generation APIs will be certain to be used because the Xbox is and continues to be a thing. For DX12, at least.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm really hoping DX12 does not go anywhere and instead Vulkan becomes the defacto API, mostly because I want that power out of Microsoft's hands so they stop doing dumb poo poo like Win10.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm really hoping DX12 does not go anywhere and instead Vulkan becomes the defacto API, mostly because I want that power out of Microsoft's hands so they stop doing dumb poo poo like Win10.

Plus Vulkan is relatively device agnostic

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Plus Vulkan is relatively device agnostic

That would be a much stronger selling point if Apple supported it :argh:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
But no, Apple's gotta do their own thing. Remind me, when was the last time they updated Metal?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's a vulkan wrapper for metal. I'm sure there's some performance penalty, but when was the last time an apple customer cared about gaming performance lol, if they did they wouldn't be buying apple

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
What games have or are patching in Vulkan?

DOOM is the only game I know that runs on it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Dota 2 and The Talos Principle have both supported it for a while, but neither implementation beats their respective DX9/DX11 renderers on any GPU AFAIK. Maybe it helps on potato CPUs but there's no magical DOOM-like speedup.

Unity and UE4 have both shipped preview Vulkan renderers but they're both focusing on Android for now, they don't yet have the full feature set required to run their high-quality desktop/console render paths.

Most devs are focusing on DX12, presumably because they can share a lot of code between Windows and the Xbox One v:shobon:v

Truga posted:

There's a vulkan wrapper for metal. I'm sure there's some performance penalty, but when was the last time an apple customer cared about gaming performance lol, if they did they wouldn't be buying apple

Even ignoring performance, MoltenVK is far from production-ready. Compute, tessellation and geometry shaders aren't supported at all, there's no way to run the standard validation layers for debugging, and there's been zero activity since its initial public release in July.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 25, 2016

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

OhFunny posted:

Talso Principle patched it in back in February. Dota2 has it in the beta. That's really it for major games on PC. I mean Ashes of the Singularity supports Vulkan but does that even count?

edit: beaten

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

whats wrong with win10? is it bad for gaming or something?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Agrajag posted:

Nothing at all, it's great.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Agrajag posted:

Microsoft is spying on you when you use it!

!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Agrajag posted:

It's not Linux. With a vulkan game , running it on Linux without any fuss is much more likely to happen.