Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

johnsonrod posted:

The workshop has quite a few different planets and moons that are really well done too if you're looking for more than the standard ones.

The only possible problem I can see with your idea is all the wrecks. I'm not sure how that would affect server sim speed. Most of the server clean up mods are just scripts that remove old grids that either don't have an active beacon or haven't been used in awhile since random grids really seem to impact server performance. When me and my brother ran a custom system we had to have the clean up mod run a few times a day to keep the sim speed up. Are you planning on hand placing the asteroids or just going with one of the settings? Any ideas who you're thinking of going with for a server provider? We used pingperfect and overall they were pretty good for the price. Once you get it up and running you might want to think about allowing donations for the server cost. I think most providers have a paypal link or whatever for donating though. I only say that because they can get kind of pricey depending on the player count and the package you pick.

Sounds like a really cool idea though and I'd play on it for sure. I'd even throw a few bucks towards the server if you ended up going that way.

The workshop does have all sorts of awesome pregenerated planet/moon types available, yes, but I'm kind of leery to use them just to avoid the usual modder drama. (I didn't give you permission to use that, you suck and I'm going to report you blablablabla..). The less īmod content this thing is reliant of in the first place, the better.

I was thinking of handplaced asteroids. It looks like Keen removed the old 'start with an otherwise empty map but a bunch of big regular asteroids' type of a map, otherwise I'd go for that and expand the debris field a little.

Honestly I don't feel most players are going to need the new infinite map - or in fact, it creates problems of its own, problems shared with the usual planet start. Specifically, people in multiplayer end up starting really drat far from one another - when I play SE with my friends and we decide to spawn in our own ships, there's usually at least one poor bastard who ends up starting on the opposite side of the planet from the rest of us. At that point you either crash and respawn in one of your buddy's ships, (losing your own ship), or you crash and respawn in a new ship and hope you spawn in closer (you won't), and lastly, you can fly to your buddies (which takes forfuckingever at 100 m/sec - literally from the other side of a 100km-diameter planet is 150+ km, or near half an hour of a flight). None of those options are really fun. Spawning in generic empty space has the same issue, players generally end up separated 50-150km or so - this smells suspiciously like it's been designed to be used on big servers where you play with random people and want everybody to have their own little kingdom but really sucks for people playing in groups. (This is why I figured I'd place a common starting position on each moon, a neutral station where players can spawn, collect some resources, and head off to do their own thing in groups or otherwise - they'll obviously build their own stations and ships wherever they feel like)

I haven't honestly thought about server hosts yet. Zennik, a goon, runs the APTAA Space Engineers server and he might be persuaded to run the map - other than that I've been toying around with the idea of renting a dedicated server slot somewhere (SE server slots are really cheap) for my friends and if enough people are interested I might as well make it a slightly bigger server (say, 20 or so people?) and run this there. Donations would be cool but not expected.

Honestly, if/when this map is finished I'm going to put it on the steam workshop and whoever wants it can just load up a copy and run it however they like. I don't currently care about server rules or whatever, I just want to make an interesting sandbox people can play in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Space Engineer modders are very drama-free, thank goodness. I think I've seen all of maybe two spit the dummy since mods were first added.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Really? Usually games like this draw idiots like flies. (Shoutout to the one guy who got super salty about Keen fixing a bug that let his shield mod work and pitched a fit..)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Really? Usually games like this draw idiots like flies. (Shoutout to the one guy who got super salty about Keen fixing a bug that let his shield mod work and pitched a fit..)

Oh I remember that guy too :allears:. Nah, Space Engineers has been remarkably drama-free.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I am strangely surprised but you definitely won't hear me complaining! There's just something about games like this that draws out the autism in people.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Drake_263 posted:

The workshop does have all sorts of awesome pregenerated planet/moon types available, yes, but I'm kind of leery to use them just to avoid the usual modder drama. (I didn't give you permission to use that, you suck and I'm going to report you blablablabla..). The less īmod content this thing is reliant of in the first place, the better.

??? Why would you think mods etc are on the workshop if they weren't intended to be used? Mods are awesome and the more, the better.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Ambaire posted:

??? Why would you think mods etc are on the workshop if they weren't intended to be used? Mods are awesome and the more, the better.

Mods are awesome and there's a bunch of mods I definitely won't be running a server without - some of the people who make mods on the other hand...

It's less of a question of me not wanting to use mods and me wanting to avoid having to bundle mods in with the map. If the map won't run with mod A, everybody who downloads the map must also be running mod A; also, the modder who made the modded planet in the first place might take exception and decide I'm stealing their intellectual property or something equally stupid. That's why I want the core map to be as unreliant on particular mods as possible - I much rather would give people the chance to add their own mods to their liking than go 'no, this is the one and only correct way to play my map'.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Drake_263 posted:

Mods are awesome and there's a bunch of mods I definitely won't be running a server without - some of the people who make mods on the other hand...

It's less of a question of me not wanting to use mods and me wanting to avoid having to bundle mods in with the map. If the map won't run with mod A, everybody who downloads the map must also be running mod A; also, the modder who made the modded planet in the first place might take exception and decide I'm stealing their intellectual property or something equally stupid. That's why I want the core map to be as unreliant on particular mods as possible - I much rather would give people the chance to add their own mods to their liking than go 'no, this is the one and only correct way to play my map'.

I say do it anyway, and if some modder starts flipping out, ignore them. If they didn't want people to use their work, then they shouldn't have posted it in what is clearly a hobby space imo. I mean, obviously credit the modders so people can find them independently, though.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Drake_263 posted:

Pretty sure Steam lets anyone bundle any mod they want into collections. So SteveBob can publish a collection of JimJoe and KevinMike's mods and there's no problem. Not sure about published maps but whenever you join a server running mods the game automatically downloads the required mods so it's not like Minecraft where you have to basically use an installer to download poo poo from dozens of servers and run a config script to get them all playing nicely.

Space Engineers has one of the best mod systems I've seen since the original Unreal Tournament Mutator system, probably better because of auto downloading and the ease of Steam Workshop.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
We'll see! Honestly I'm pretty fine with the choice of planets and moons already available in the game, but if anyone has any good suggestions I'd loive to hear them.

Also, I just realized something - the Titan-type moon has a thin atmosphere. Not enough to keep you alive without a suit.. but apparently enough to support alien life. Specifically, sabiroids AKA giant-loving-nope-spiders can spawn there if enabled in the server. This could be interesting as long as players got to start with enough resources to defend themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

We'll see! Honestly I'm pretty fine with the choice of planets and moons already available in the game, but if anyone has any good suggestions I'd loive to hear them.

Small Ship Mega Modpack, Azimuth Mega Modpack, Mexpex's battlecannon pack, Rider's cannon pack. All in the OP, and more.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I think he's just wanting to be sure that the SE modders are NOTHING like some of the Skyrim modders, for example. *cough* Arthmoor *cough*

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Small Ship Mega Modpack, Azimuth Mega Modpack, Mexpex's battlecannon pack, Rider's cannon pack. All in the OP, and more.

I meant for the planets and moons, but I'm definitely going to check these out (I think I had Azimuth at one point). I have like almost all Darth Biomech's mods but it looks like he's gotten burnt out on modding :<

McGiggins posted:

I think he's just wanting to be sure that the SE modders are NOTHING like some of the Skyrim modders, for example. *cough* Arthmoor *cough*

A thousand times this.

Like I said, the map itself is just going to be a blank canvas to play on. Individual servers and players will add whatever mods and rules they feel like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Get the small ship mega mod, it's a wonderful thing for making small inhabitable ships.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The real question is why you should give a flying gently caress about what some modder thinks? They put the mods out there, so use them however the gently caress you want. And if they complain, ignore them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also you seem to have gotten mods and creations mixed, because most of those ships are just made with vanilla blocks. Some creations may use mods (hell most of mine use about 7-8 at least), but they themselves are not so.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
There is a whole autism thing wherein some people think they own all or control all derivative works of their mods. Also, if you use a mod in creating something for your server, and that mod gets removed or hidden on the workshop: blammo, that poo poo is gone from your server, unless you have a local copy cached somewhere outside of the steam workshop folder.

I think we can safely use any ship blueprints we want, just not ones that rely on a giga-gently caress of mods. Also, some mods aren't fun. Also one more thing, stop having opinions that are different to mine on the internet on Christmas Eve, thank you very much :colbert:

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
I'd be all for playing with goons on that map. I totally understand keeping it vanilla as a base template that could be put on the workshop, but if you ran a server I would love to play with a fair number of mods that would make it a ton of fun to kill the hell out of each other with.

CMD Bob's weapon pack, the nanite factory and that one shipyard mod are all good mods that also help you build crazy blueprint ships in survival.

Sadly I can't drum up any interest in my friends to get into SE. One guy picked it up awhile back and we had some fun trying to survive on the moon but the bugs and multiplayer troubles finally pushed him away. :(

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Set up a goon server and I will play on it ok thanks.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
If I actually end up creating and running a goon server I will absolutely collect a nice set of fun and interesting mods to run it with.

The map itself simply won't need mods when I build it - a couple of stock planetary/lunar bodies, a whole bunch of stock asteroids, sprinkle the area with wrecks (I figured out how to convert the ingame template files for various NPC ships into blueprints so you can spawn them on demand in creative, I'm just going to spawn a Big Red 500m up and let physics do the rest), build a couple of custom starting shelters, done.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

If I actually end up creating and running a goon server I will absolutely collect a nice set of fun and interesting mods to run it with.

The map itself simply won't need mods when I build it - a couple of stock planetary/lunar bodies, a whole bunch of stock asteroids, sprinkle the area with wrecks (I figured out how to convert the ingame template files for various NPC ships into blueprints so you can spawn them on demand in creative, I'm just going to spawn a Big Red 500m up and let physics do the rest), build a couple of custom starting shelters, done.

Spawn the ship, lob a few warheads into it, paste it into the ground at an angle. Looks much nastier than a wreck sitting in a concave hole.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
But like most concave holes, it tells a story!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

McGiggins posted:

But like most concave holes, it tells a story!

There's a your mom joke in there somewhere, I can smell it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spawn the ship, lob a few warheads into it, paste it into the ground at an angle. Looks much nastier than a wreck sitting in a concave hole.

For the big wreck right next to the starting shelter maybe. Smells a little bit like too much work if you want to do this about thirty-plus times per moonlet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Had a look at some of my ships with the new blocks, and I can't help but think the whole airframe on my Hawk starfighter must whistle like mad in atmosphere with the new Blast Door block design :allears:.

The new Reinforced Armor slopes on Small Blocks also gives the Protective Shroud mount a decidedly exotic/alien look when painted black, I think.

Unlike most of the projector-mounted equipment for the Hawk, where it's just individual wing and dorsal-mounted pods/weapons, the Shroud consumes all the mounts for a total encasement. The idea being it's set up to go hunt bigass warships with its oversized Little David's and not die immediately. The wing mounts add an extra pair of Azimuth BIG Thrusters to offset the weight.

And, like the similar Shrouds on my other stuff, it ejects clean off once it's no longer needed. Or shot to hell to the point it's dead weight.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I was just tootling around creative (got the converted prefab bloops working, woo!) and thoroughly impressed by the new models. Old SE had a cleaner, more stylized look, these new blocks look less Minecraft and more oily and gritty. I quite like it.

And man, I love your modular fighters, Neddy. Awesome designs, big fat and stompy.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 24, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

I was just tootling around creative (got the converted prefab bloops working, woo!) and thoroughly impressed by the new models. Old SE had a cleaner, more stylized look, these new blocks look less Minecraft and more oily and gritty. I quite like it.

And man, I love your modular fighters, Neddy. Awesome designs, big fat and stompy.

While I remember; if you're gonna seed the world with some starter bases, try my prefab base-building pack. Some nice empty buildings, along with the basics like defensive walls and storage towers. The only real work you have to do with them is hooking up the conveyors.

(It's just a big block of all the parts connected by Supports, just break them apart in an empty world and ctrl-B'em all.)

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I remember; if you're gonna seed the world with some starter bases, try my prefab base-building pack. Some nice empty buildings, along with the basics like defensive walls and storage towers. The only real work you have to do with them is hooking up the conveyors.

(It's just a big block of all the parts connected by Supports, just break them apart in an empty world and ctrl-B'em all.)

Those are awesome! Maybe a little big for my purposes - though they'd make awesome 'random encounters' scattered across the world. The little startoing shelters as I planned them would basically just be what amounts to a starter spud but bolted into the lunar surface, plus a battery and some solar panels. A basic refinery-assembler-powerr source-medbay combo - enough that a player can spawn in there, collect/refine some starting resources, and head off to their preferred direction.

Speaking of the starter spuds, those things are due to a redesign. So little onboard resources, not even a battery - it's perfectly viable for the 'starting in an asteroid belt' start but if you even think about heading for a moon you're likely going to run out of uranium long before you find a deposit.

Edit: I extracted a bunch of stock pirate bases, ships, drones and cargo ships from the game files and uploaded them to my gdrive in case people need them. I might get around to making actual workshop releases of them later. There's a readme.txt that tells you where you want to extract and dump the files.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 24, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Already got you covered in the vanilla pirate bases:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=689311867

I also took the liberty of fixing a few crippling issues with them, such as the turrets attacking their own station when you hack a single block on it (causing lag hell). Also made it so the hanger doors are neutral so you don't have to hack each one individually to open the doors. Those are the only 2 changes I've made.

Super easy to set up too; just paste it and go to its control panel and select the ACTIVATE group and set to pirate faction and you're done.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 24, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Subscribed, thank you!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

Those are awesome! Maybe a little big for my purposes - though they'd make awesome 'random encounters' scattered across the world. The little startoing shelters as I planned them would basically just be what amounts to a starter spud but bolted into the lunar surface, plus a battery and some solar panels. A basic refinery-assembler-powerr source-medbay combo - enough that a player can spawn in there, collect/refine some starting resources, and head off to their preferred direction.

Speaking of the starter spuds, those things are due to a redesign. So little onboard resources, not even a battery - it's perfectly viable for the 'starting in an asteroid belt' start but if you even think about heading for a moon you're likely going to run out of uranium long before you find a deposit.

Edit: I extracted a bunch of stock pirate bases, ships, drones and cargo ships from the game files and uploaded them to my gdrive in case people need them. I might get around to making actual workshop releases of them later. There's a readme.txt that tells you where you want to extract and dump the files.

The basic prefab building has oxygen tanks and mounts for anything you need within. They should fill your potato requirements nicely and have the benefit of being scaleable. You don't have to use every toy in the box, you know :v:.

edit; As an example,

The basic prefab building. Empty, aside from a vent and some oxygen tanks in the floor, with hookups ready for important things like cargo and medical units.

The same prefab with solar panels, batteries and a reactor mounted to the conveyor grid. Also some external vents for replenishing O2 supplies.

Then we look inside and there's room for a refinery, some cargo containers and OHNONONNICE DOGGIES NICE DOGGIES! :gibs: Honestly impressed the AI pathed up the ramp and into the building.

The same prefab with solar panels, batteries and a reactor mounted to the conveyor grid. Also some external vents for replenishing O2 supplies... and a gatling turret for unwanted animal intrusions :toughguy:.

With ample room still inside for some initial expansions, as well as cryo for some players. And laid-on bullet-riddled wolf corpses.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 25, 2016

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Neddy's work never ceases to impress me. Gonna grab those.

There's a guy named Marcelo who seems like a nice dude and tries his hardest to make militarily accurate things. Maybe check out his stuff to add?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=709747655

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=685297868

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=289892936

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I take it back, that thing is perfect. And awesome.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Have they changed building so that the first block of a new ship (if it's a landing gear) doesn't auto-attach to an existing structure at all? How are you supposed to build your first ship in a survival scenario when as soon as you nudge it a little bit it flies straight off? Are you just meant to not start building until you find iron, nickel and whatever in order to make a cockpit, gyroscope, reactor, and thrusters?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A ship without those would probably not be very useful.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Yeah, but until those are built and stocked, it just floats off as soon as you nudge it a tiny bit and you have to keep flying around it trying to aim at the things you want. That's a bit poo poo, isn't it? The only alternative is spending an hour mining before-hand to make sure you've got everything you need to finish these components first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's easier if the foot sticks to something but I've built stuff in space before, it's not too tricky. Generally I start by sticking a reactor, gyro, and six thrusters to a cockpit anyway. Usually so I can park it in space somewhere or fly it over a static welder.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I like to use this when building in space. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=516770964

Start with a large grid that's powered, or at least anchored to an asteroid then build a small grid framework or blueprint projector when using a pair of attachment panels.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Landing legs should start locked to a surface if you press it into said surface while placing it, if not that's a bug.

As for building big ships, I've lately gone for the overengineered solution - I build by ship off a merge block mounted into the landing cradle I've built into my base. No way that goes floating off until you disengage the merge block, and as an added pro the umbilical will share power from your base to conveyors and battery charge before you've even finished building your ship.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you place your first blocks directly on a large ship landing gear foot and lock the landing gear, whatever you're building won't be able to move until you unlock the landing gear.

e. Also, there's a bug with small ship landing gear such that they won't lock to anything until a client/server restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

Landing legs should start locked to a surface if you press it into said surface while placing it, if not that's a bug.

This is basically what I was asking. Yeah, this is a bug then. I'm just on the normal Lone Survivor start, and trying to spawn a small landing leg onto the station either appears in space just above the station (and flies off if touched), or slightly inside the station and bounced off as soon as spawned.

• Locked thread