Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Brass Key posted:

I mean, I guess if you call "levering the shielding up with a flathead screwdriver whoops my hand slipped" and "dropping a loving brick on it" one small mistake.

Fun fact, the demon core was supposed to be the heart of the third nuclear weapon ever made. Only, the war ended, and then they were like, now what do we do with this thing?

It was eventually put back into a bomb and dropped on bikini atoll when they got tired of it loving people up.

"Safety culture" as it's called today did not exist back then. Los Alamos was run by civilian scientists with little supervision. Recording notes was not done reliably. Weapons parts were one-off with little-to-no paper trail. Production was lab-scale with a lab attitude. Everything was a prototype.
The first few years after 1945 were a rude awaking to the US Government when it realized that the Los Alamos operation absolutely could not be depended upon to churn out nuclear weapons at any predictable rate. It was a mad scientist lab run by the very same scientists.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If you read Feynman's book "Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman"
You will find out the military leadership at Los Alamos at the time was even worse. Actually everyone should read that book. It is an enjoyable read.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah moonsour, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a close friend visiting Nashville right now and it unnerves the hell out of me to hear anything like that going on in that area. Reading that news site with the article about the disappearance and seeing all the recent news about murders and gun crime ramped up my anxiety a whole lot.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For the Brazilian caesium incident we need to rehash the most important part of the story:

They were able to steal the stuff because the security guard took that day off to go see Herbie Goes Bananas.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
E;fb

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

TotalLossBrain posted:

"Safety culture" as it's called today did not exist back then. Los Alamos was run by civilian scientists with little supervision. Recording notes was not done reliably. Weapons parts were one-off with little-to-no paper trail. Production was lab-scale with a lab attitude. Everything was a prototype.
The first few years after 1945 were a rude awaking to the US Government when it realized that the Los Alamos operation absolutely could not be depended upon to churn out nuclear weapons at any predictable rate. It was a mad scientist lab run by the very same scientists.

Pretty good clip here from the movie Fat Man and Little Boy that is based off that incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ0P7R9CfCY

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

that headline alone is so loving metal holy poo poo :black101:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat.

http://www.wtvm.com/story/31258816/special-report-east-alabama-boys-gruesome-murder-remembered

quote:

"Throat cut from ear to ear and you're crawling, walking a quarter mile, bleeding the whole way,” Sheriff Taylor said about the father.

On that deadly night in February 2002, D.A. Davis knew Butch Bowyer had his throat slit, and had crawled to the road for help, while his 12-year-old son Brett was dead next to the makeshift grave dug for them by the killers, both arrested quickly.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Sponge Baathist posted:

For the Brazilian caesium incident we need to rehash the most important part of the story:

They were able to steal the stuff because the security guard took that day off to go see Herbie Goes Bananas.

Well, this is the unnerving stories thread.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

This one reminds me of Mary Vincent, who was picked up by Lawrence Singleton as a hitch hiker. Singleton then decided to rape her and cut her arms off with an axe, then threw her off a cliff. She was unconscious, but still alive after all that. She ended up waking up, and was found walking on the road, naked and holding what was left of her arms up above her head so she wouldn't bleed out.

Singleton only got fourteen years for this, by the way, and was out after eight years. Then he killed another woman and was given the death penalty.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Singleton only got fourteen years for this, by the way, and was out after eight years. Then he killed another woman and was given the death penalty.

:siren:ABORT! ABORT! :siren:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nah, he died in prison, still on death row.

Six miles away. :smith:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Just ran across this in my news feed:

After 20 years, Perth police have arrested and charged a man with the Claremont murders.

quote:

Police have charged a 48-year-old man with the murder of two women taken from the streets of Claremont in Perth, Western Australia, in the late 1990s, following a 20-year investigation into the alleged serial killings.

Bradley Robert Edwards, from Kewdale, appeared in Perth magistrates court on Friday charged with the murders of Jane Rimmer in June 1996 and Ciara Glennon in March 1997.

Edwards is also accused of abducting a 17-year-old girl in February 1995 as she walked through Rowe Park in Claremont, and indecently assaulting an 18-year-old woman during a break-in at a Huntingdale home in February 1988.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You wouldn't imagine that a story about a newborn baby left in a plastic bag in a graveyard would be a palate cleanser.

But it is :unsmith:.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah moonsour, I'm sorry for your loss. I have a close friend visiting Nashville right now and it unnerves the hell out of me to hear anything like that going on in that area. Reading that news site with the article about the disappearance and seeing all the recent news about murders and gun crime ramped up my anxiety a whole lot.

As always, don't read the comments anywhere. A surprising number of people saying she should have known better than to go outside alone in a city. How many times have we all run outside for a few minutes?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

moonsour posted:

As always, don't read the comments anywhere. A surprising number of people saying she should have known better than to go outside alone in a city. How many times have we all run outside for a few minutes?

gently caress, people suck. I'm so sorry :(

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bean_shadow posted:

Well, this is the unnerving stories thread.

I can't be assed to figure out the units but depending on who died there's an exact count on the number of bananas that Herbie went while the security was at the movies.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Oh poo poo, I was just listening to something about this but I didn't think it would ever be solved.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

anonymous web commenter posted:

I know a woman who worked at Los Alamos as a nuclear engineer. Our babies were born around the same time, and we became friends. She would tell me hair raising stories. Apparently, the original scientists and workers, well into the sixties were incredibly lax about dealing with waste. Stuff got stuck in boxes and barrels and dumped willy-nilly in the rough countryside surrounding the lab. She was tasked at one point with going about with a partner and mapping where this waste had been dumped so it could be dealt with in a safer manner...or to rope the area off. Since so much time had past there was much vegetation grown over the stuff. She said it was not hard to figure out where the stuff was...find an old cattle trail or logging road, follow down its branches and often there would be stuff that set off their clickers. One afternoon they had gone uphill into a wooded area. At the end of a very rough disused track was a horse trailer, rusted out, wheels rotted. The door had a bar across it. her co-worker made some comment about how unlikely it was that anything would be stashed there and opened the doors. She said she never saw anyone move as rapidly as he did, jumping back violently. The whole trailer was stacked with barrels, many with lids off, and the barrels were in various states of decay...like lacework. They tasted metal on the air. They ended up having a scrubbing like that Silkwood scene, but she said she did not cry, that she was too busy cussing out the assholes who would put such dangerous waste out with no thought.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You wouldn't imagine that a story about a newborn baby left in a plastic bag in a graveyard would be a palate cleanser.

This is wonderful :unsmith: Everything comes full circle at the end.

No, I'm not crying...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Holy poo poo just read up on the murders. I lived at Claremont Quarter for 2 years, above Claremont Hotel/Bayview, and never knew there were unsolved serial killings that took place just below..

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This seems fascinating, but it's in 9 parts and the writing style is annoying the heck out of me. Anyone mind sharing a brief summary under a spoiler? Is it worth it to read the whole thing?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Its not that well translated tbh. It all makes sense and is clear and intelligible, but it's very awkwardly phrased. That said, i am glad I read it. Its pretty cool and moving despite its flaws

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That was a fantastic (if awkwardly translated) read.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

This one reminds me of Mary Vincent, who was picked up by Lawrence Singleton as a hitch hiker. Singleton then decided to rape her and cut her arms off with an axe, then threw her off a cliff. She was unconscious, but still alive after all that. She ended up waking up, and was found walking on the road, naked and holding what was left of her arms up above her head so she wouldn't bleed out.

I remember when Singleton was released on parole and everywhere he tried to settle, they either protested to keep him out of the neighborhood, or straight up burned down his house. He ended up having to live out the rest of his parole in a trailer on the grounds of a state prison.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bean_shadow posted:

They found the blue glow interesting and took it home to their families. One of their daughters played with it.
The little girl who had ingested the powder had to be buried in a fiberglass coffin lined with lead. At her burial there was a riot of at least 2,000 citizens scared shitless that her body would poison the surrounding land.

This really gets to me. The fathers were idiots, the kid was just being a kid and it killed her. :smith:

moonsour posted:

Personally unnerving: Someone I've known online since I was 15 has gone missing after a party Friday night.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nashville/comments/5j8pfc/help_missing_person/

It seems like she went to her car to get cigarettes and disappeared.

Even the most tangential of connections can make you feel pretty messed up. This woman went missing earlier this month.
She and I have never met, but nonetheless her disappearance feels super unsettling if only because she lives in the same apartment complex that I did when I first graduated college.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

pookel posted:

For some reason I think it's extra hard when someone's death is in the news. You're suffering a personal loss, her their death is being scrutinized by the public, her photos passed around, stupid comments being made about what she did wrong and how she could have avoided being murdered.

Truth. An acquaintance was raped and murdered a few years ago; they eventually charged (and convicted) a man she was seen speaking to briefly on a club's surveillance. Cue comments section full of "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR TALKING TO NIGGERS" and "WHITE WOMEN, AROUND BLACKS NEVER RELAX" in her local paper. No, I'm not paraphrasing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It isn't relevant to the commentator's racism, but did the guy do it?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WickedHate posted:

It isn't relevant to the commentator's racism, but did the guy do it?

Yup. Snagged him via DNA, despite his weird conviction that cutting part of her mattress out would keep them from recovering any.

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
Forgive me if this got posted already, but I'm pretty sure it didn't. Apparently some burgeoning potential serial killer has been going around mutilating and posing animal corpses in London, ON , and they've been doing so for at least two years. It's extra unnerving to me, because I used to live a couple hours south of there until fairly recently, and have visited London a bunch of times.

quote:

At least 17 dead and mutilated animals have been found in public places around the city, including the latest incident of a skinned and beheaded dog that was missing several of its organs. Many of the animals are found in groups and placed in specific patterns.

quote:

Over the past year, Foster said, there have been at least eight incidents involving at least 17 dead animals, including a skinned and beheaded bunny found on the Western University campus; a mutilated cat found in a park; six dead coyotes — two of them headless and skinned — placed in poses in three different locations; and several dead snakes left in a strange pose.

quote:

Arntfield said there should have been an investigation when two mutilated coyotes were discovered in a sexual position along the Thames River bank on campus at Western University.

The incident was reported to campus police, who contacted the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Ministry officers removed the dead animals, Artnfield explained, but the police were not contacted.

quote:

"It would border on statistical impossibility that two or more people in the city the size of London would find each other with a shared paraphilic interest in this and would agree to carry these out," he said.

Foster said she is deeply disturbed by all of the acts of animal mutilation. She sees the move from wildlife to domestic animals as an example of escalation.

"They're arranged as if they're being set up for people to find," Foster said. "Without exception the animals are being left in places where they're going to be found and going to be found very easily."

Arntfield also says the killings are becoming more gruesome and elaborate.

"'But when [the animals] keep showing up — new species, increasingly elaborate designs, increasingly severe mutilations — there's no doubt this person is escalating."

I really hope they figure out who it is before that person decides to make the leap to murdering people :ohdear:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Speaking of horrible nuclear safety protocols, this article in today's New Yorker by the author of Command and Control. I knew about the nuclear codes being a string of zeroes for like twenty years but this was a new one on me.

quote:

The dangers of "launch-on-warning" have been recognized since the idea was first proposed, during the Eisenhower Administration. After the Cuban Missile Crisis, McNamara advised Kennedy that the United States should never use its nuclear weapons until a nuclear detonation had occurred on American soil, and could be attributed to an enemy attack.

The first Minuteman missiles had already become a great source of stress for McNamara. The control system of the original model had a design flaw: small fluctuations in the electricity entering the command center could mimic the series of pulses required by the launch switch. An entire squadron of fifty missiles might be launched accidentally without anyone turning a key. "I was scared shitless," an engineer who worked on the system later confessed. "The technology was not to be trusted."

McNamara insisted that the control system be redesigned, at great expense. The destruction of fifty Soviet cities because of a mechanical glitch, a classified history of the Minuteman program later noted, would be "an accident for which a later apology might be inadequate."

:magical:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Any story in which Robert McNamara is the voice of reason is a loving terrifying story.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's been said many times before in this thread, but I'll say it again: Command & Control is a fantastic book.
So is Atomic Accidents and The Atomic Bomb.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fanky Malloons posted:

Forgive me if this got posted already, but I'm pretty sure it didn't. Apparently some burgeoning potential serial killer has been going around mutilating and posing animal corpses in London, ON , and they've been doing so for at least two years. It's extra unnerving to me, because I used to live a couple hours south of there until fairly recently, and have visited London a bunch of times.

I really hope they figure out who it is before that person decides to make the leap to murdering people :ohdear:

I have some family in London ON and live southwards of it. Hope they catch the guy.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's been said many times before in this thread, but I'll say it again: Command & Control is a fantastic book.
So is Atomic Accidents and The Atomic Bomb.

The movie/documentary is coming out on PBS Jan 10.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Fanky Malloons posted:

This is doubly bizarre as we have one here in London UK too. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/M25_cat_killer

quote:

The M25 Cat Killer (also referred to by the media as the Croydon cat killer or the Cat Ripper of Croydon) is thought to have killed, dismembered and decapitated more than 100 cats beginning in 2014 in Croydon, but since spreading across and around London. Further killings were recorded in November 2016, with 10 feline victims being confirmed by police as linked.

He often leaves the cat outside the owners door for them to find :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gibfender posted:

This is doubly bizarre as we have one here in London UK too. https://www.wikiwand.com/en/M25_cat_killer

He often leaves the cat outside the owners door for them to find :(

This happened to my friend's sister. :(

Current theory is that he's watching their reaction as they open the door and find their dead cat, which is... unsettling.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Brass Key posted:

Speaking of horrible nuclear safety protocols, this article in today's New Yorker by the author of Command and Control. I knew about the nuclear codes being a string of zeroes for like twenty years but this was a new one on me.

:magical:

The amount of times the earth was nearly destroyed in a nuclear hellfire by accident during the cold war is horrifying and frankly baffling that we're all still alive :shepface: It's also fun to explain to people that the plot of Peace Walker nearly happened a bunch of times except instead of someone rigging an AI, it was just human negligence

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This happened to my friend's sister. :(

Current theory is that he's watching their reaction as they open the door and find their dead cat, which is... unsettling.

You'd think with all the surveillance they'd of gotten video of him by now. Just assuming it's a him here. It's always a him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Danaru posted:

The amount of times the earth was nearly destroyed in a nuclear hellfire by accident during the cold war is horrifying and frankly baffling that we're all still alive :shepface: It's also fun to explain to people that the plot of Peace Walker nearly happened a bunch of times except instead of someone rigging an AI, it was just human negligence

And now Trump will be in charge of that stuff! I think I will learn how to stop worrying and just love the bomb.

Here's a question: if a President wants to nuke other countries for no reason at all, can he be stopped? Or does he have complete control? Is there a chain of command or can he just, as it were, "press the button"?