Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Duhh duhhh duhhh I'm tae I can't use context clues to understand anecdotes intended to build context for the alarmingly bad shooting of Marcus Smart

This is rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hahah this is cute, I like Lebron James

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOX3-1YBvRQ/?hl=en

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sixers just need to upgrade their bench vets from the Bayless's of the world to the Dudleys. Either way most likely getting two top 10 picks in a guard heavy draft is great news for them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Sixers will be fine. I doubt they seriously targeted vets right now because why would you spend your cap to be a 35 win team? They still are probably a couple years away because it takes time to put your team together and I still think there are questions about Embiid that can only be answered after several months of ~30 mpg play.

Players don't pay for expensive buyouts and pay for playing in the NBA, I don't know why people insist on using the fact that a player has to wait out their buyout as some proof that they don't want to play for team X.

xbilkis posted:

It's almost 2017 and the NBA still hasn't accepted that every offensive big man who is a defensive liability has to be a sixth man now...sad stuff

Two years of exposure to late career Pau Gasol made me extremely woke regarding this essential truth, which means I'm smarter at basketball than Gregg Popovich now

Kevin Love was considered a defensive liability and now he has a ring. Bosh was considered one in Toronto and now he has 2 (though he wasn't considered one when he won them). Dirk is probably the biggest defensive liability at the 4 in NBA Finals history and he has a ring (and probably should have another one).

You can build a team many different ways.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No one mentioned buyouts.

E: I also agree that the Sixers are going to be ultimately fine. They have a foundation that should be hard to screw up. But they're so far away.

Rick fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 24, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevin love proved us all wrong when he murdered the unanimous charlatan MVP in cold blood before our very eyes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

LAL Def Rtg: 112.3 (29th of 30)
minne Def Rtg: 111.1 (27th of 30)
Phila Def Rtg: 108.3 (20th of 30)

And Phila's best defensive have barely played.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Stats and how not to use them.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Lockback posted:

Sixers will be fine. I doubt they seriously targeted vets right now because why would you spend your cap to be a 35 win team? They still are probably a couple years away because it takes time to put your team together and I still think there are questions about Embiid that can only be answered after several months of ~30 mpg play.

I'd like a couple of vets that can play at NBA starter level, even if it does something meaningless like turn a 20 win team into a 30 win team. I don't want the younger guys to develop bad habits because they're playing with guards who shouldn't be getting 25+ mpg in the NBA. Embiid should be able to kick it out to someone who can shoot. Simmons (eventually) should be able to dish to someone who can get open. I don't know if it's just their guards not seeing it, or no one making the runs, but they never find anyone streaking to the basket. Their offensive fast break is non-existent, and they get killed on the fast break defensively. I don't know how some of that stuff will ever develop without players who can execute along with the young talent.

I don't want them to get used to making GBS threads away 10 point leads on the regular because they lack the NBA talent to hang with anyone for 48 minutes either.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Stats and how not to use them.

Lol I just copy pasted numbers.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arguing about what really bad team might possibly be kind of ok first is really, really stupid

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Wolves are undefeated against the Sixers and Lakers this year ergo they are the better team case closed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

The Wolves are undefeated against the Sixers and Lakers this year ergo they are the better team case closed.

Imagine the Wolves but with competent defense and less turnovers. I don't even think they should ship any of their pieces either, that Wiggins/KAT/Lavine lineup looks beyond potent on offense, especially now that Lavine doesn't gently caress up easy 3's.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

He hasn't really hosed up easy threes since his rookie year, to be fair (and even then he was shooting 34% from deep as a 19 year old).

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Sabonis really excites me for what he could become

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cravius posted:

Sabonis really excites me for what he could become

That's another thing I noticed in the pels/thunder game. He moves really well for a guy his size and looks like he understands the game really well

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Imagine the Wolves but with competent defense and less turnovers. I don't even think they should ship any of their pieces either, that Wiggins/KAT/Lavine lineup looks beyond potent on offense, especially now that Lavine doesn't gently caress up easy 3's.

The defense will go as KAT goes, and Wiggins has all the tools to be a reasonably decent defensive wing. LaVine will probably never be a benefit but whether the future PG is Rubio or Dunn will mean the backcourt D will be fine.

I want a good 3&D SF that can come off the bench early and let either LaVine or Wiggins play the 2 with the bench more. Keep tanking your market value, Tony Snell.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Paul Zuvella posted:

That's another thing I noticed in the pels/thunder game. He moves really well for a guy his size and looks like he understands the game really well

He's gonna be a solid player I think. And he avoided his father's mistake of not going to the NBA as soon as possible, so that's more experience against top flight competition. As iron sharpens iron, so one baller sharpens another.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kevin love proved us all wrong when he murdered the unanimous charlatan MVP in cold blood before our very eyes.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Utah Jazz are a bunch of thugs (especially their whites) and will be real good once Hill gets back and gets the offense going.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I like how they even spelled his name wrong

That was me

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009
I know most everybody realizes that Houston is taking a ton of three's, but looking it up on basketball reference is pretty funny:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Literally 3 european players chose the sixers over Europe this year. Please update your memes.

The age of refusal, or of stashing decent prospects, is over. Guys are never going to choose europe over the NBA, unless their contract is structured in a way that makes it impossible financially.

Aside from Mega Leks, which is an Adriatic league team owned by an agent specifically built to exhibit toolsy draftable young euros to NBA scouts, young guys don't get minutes (except in the case of extremely good players like Porzingis), coaches don't play young players. They're not really getting extra development if they stay in europe. If they do get minutes, it's on the junior team, a terrible level of competition. Everybody who can come over will come over. And tons of young european players are choosing to play college basketball here, becasue they actually get to play minutes and games against real competition. Only the guys who aren't good enough to get developmental minutes here, boys who need to grow into men, players who need to drastically improve skills, will remain stashed.

BWV posted:

The Utah Jazz are a bunch of thugs (especially their whites) and will be real good once Hill gets back and gets the offense going.
Hahaha you should write an 19th century style newspaper editorial calling for the banning of the heretical and paganistic state of Utah from holding professional sporting franchises, explaining that the indecent character of the state transfers to players who are ungentlemanly and pervert the nature of the game

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 24, 2016

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

We should buy a Euro basketball team and only play hot prospects and call it Boyz2Men

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm shocked a shoe company hasn't made their own version of Mega Leks yet.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Not only is Portland bad right now, they are awful to watch and depressing to think about. It's like watching someone die a slow death of an incurable disease. Terminal Evan Turner-itis.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

They do sponsor roughly 100 billion AAU teams here and all the big tournaments, ie Nike Mcdonalds All American game, and Adidas has europe with the Adidas Nations camp. They might see directly owning a pro team as a conflict since they want to be on the feet of all the pros

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I mean, the AAU has that pretty cornered right now so

edit: beat

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

crazycello posted:

I know most everybody realizes that Houston is taking a ton of three's, but looking it up on basketball reference is pretty funny:

The problem with that Memphis game was that they didn't take enough threes.

e: The '06 SSOL Suns would be #17 this season in threes attempted, and #19 in pace.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The age of refusal, or of stashing decent prospects, is over. Guys are never going to choose europe over the NBA, unless their contract is structured in a way that makes it impossible financially.

There's still a few holdouts. Llull (who, if these Clutchfans posts are correct, is a coward of the ages), Teodesic.

I wonder if the new CBA has any sort of provision for foreign players to compensate for the rise in crazy high buyouts. (i.e. a higher amount of money for buyouts that doesn't count towards the cap). Haven't heard anything.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 24, 2016

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

crazycello posted:

Setting and breaking a record four times in the past month, cool.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

The problem with that Memphis game was that they didn't take enough threes.

e: The '06 SSOL Suns would be #17 this season in threes attempted, and #19 in pace.

There's still a few holdouts. Llull (who, if these Clutchfans posts are correct, is a coward of the ages), Teodesic.

I wonder if the new CBA has any sort of provision for foreign players to compensate for the rise in crazy high buyouts. (i.e. a higher amount of money for buyouts that doesn't count towards the cap). Haven't heard anything.

You're right, those are good exceptions. Guys who are at the top in Europe who are making decent money and won't make more in the US, having to wait for a rookie contract to expire, and who would be backups rather than stars.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The exploding cap changed that equation a bit and you saw a few more euros come over.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

Not only is Portland bad right now, they are awful to watch and depressing to think about. It's like watching someone die a slow death of an incurable disease. Terminal Evan Turner-itis.

what could they realistically do to make themselves better?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

what could they realistically do to make themselves better?

Trade CJ McCollum or something, you can get by with a bad PG defender if everyone else steps it up but dear god McCollum and Lillard are just ghastly together on the defensive end

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Trade CJ McCollum or something, you can get by with a bad PG defender if everyone else steps it up but dear god McCollum and Lillard are just ghastly together on the defensive end

Well they also have no interior defenders so it's hard to evaluate just how unfeasible it is. Trading McCollum is the easiest way to solve both problems at once, but who do they actually trade him for?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Papercut posted:

Well they also have no interior defenders so it's hard to evaluate just how unfeasible it is. Trading McCollum is the easiest way to solve both problems at once, but who do they actually trade him for?

noel

edit: I mean to be serious, no one on that blazers roster is a good defender aside from Aminu. And literally no defense will be good when 99% of the roster is bad and the one good one is a SF playing PF.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tae posted:

noel

edit: I mean to be serious, no one on that blazers roster is a good defender aside from Aminu. And literally no defense will be good when 99% of the roster is bad and the one good one is a SF playing PF.

There's no way you trade a player proven to be as good as McCollum for Noel. That's the difficulty. McCollum is way too good to trade for just some guy but he's also not good enough to get Cousins.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Even if Portland manages a decent trade for McCollum they are still paying almost $40 million a year for Turner and Crabbe.

Nerlens for CJ seems to make a ton of sense for both teams but Noel is a huge question mark.

Bogut might make sense (even though he won't stay healthy) if you can dump Turner or Crabbe. Turner is a great stealth tank guy IMO.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

crazycello posted:

I find it kind of crazy how Houston and Cleveland looked at how ridiculous Golden State shot threes last season and said "we can totally do that too" and it turns out yeah, they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
We've joked for years about Moreyball being only layups and threes and absolutely nothing else and he's finally found a coach in D'Antoni who's like 'Yeah man, I totally agree!'.

• Locked thread