Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lancemantis posted:

plz post them

- who do you work with on a daily basis / describe the day to day role
- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions
- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?
- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?
- what sort of training/mentoring/career dev things are here
- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently
- What do you see as the most challenging aspect of this job?
- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met
- when was the last time you took pto / how much did you take / what did you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

translation : are you working with a well-defined team that puts out consistent work or is this place a clusterfuck with people coming and going on a weekly basis because management is incompetent

- how are decisions made / how will [team] be asked to accomplish things / who makes those decisions

translation: are the people making decisions that impact your work accountable to you / your team and do you have the ability to influence them or are they dictated from on high or even worse forced upon you by a hostile entity

- what are the company's primary values? what characteristics are you looking for in a candidate in relation to those primary values?

translation: if they say 'uhhhhhhhhhh' here it's a red flag. if they throw gibberish at you it's not a red flag but it's not a good look either. this should get a human bean answer

- what would be expected of me for the first / three / six months? What will success look like in this position, how will it be measured?

translation: same as the last one.

translation: they should also be able to answer this without thinking. if they hesitate or bullshit you it's a red flag

- what's the most impressive thing you've seen out of someone else you've interviewed recently

translation: what qualities are people here impressed with. what caliber of candidates are you also considering.

translation: every job has some bullshit aspect to it. this is their chance to lay it on softly and your chance to decide if it's a particular brand of bullshit you can put up with

- how do you set milestones/deliverables for projects and how does your team react when it's clear they won't be met

translation: are you going to work me like a slave when we don't hit the deadline we never agreed to

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

god drat that is a good post

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
We got a new "engineering" manager and this has been changed in a horrifying way.

quote:

After 6 months, this manager still does not know what language we use for the backend.
Makes amazing claims like "it's all the same langauge right? just copy paste".
Makes everyone set up "P1 pagerduty calls" but never assigns himself any of the shifts.
Also is amazingly smug when dropping "knowledge bombs" like "did you know hdfs was used by google for log analysis?"

The only thing keeping my sane is the coworker slack group used to laugh at him during our mandatory FORTY FIVE MINUTE daily standup.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I don't understand how people like that ever get a job, let alone stay hired

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

i used some of these at my last interview, and i look forward to using more next time. thanks for the repost!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i may have modified / added / tossed a bunch of them idk

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lol I would not be able to adequately answer a lot of those. tho maybe that's ok because I'm just some chump who got conned into doing an interview and not the hiring manager. idk.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

what are the values of this company.

idk they give me money for touching a computer. is that a value.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

lol if you as a hired employee give a poo poo about your company's "mission" or "values"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
even if an interviewer had the answer ready, it would likely be the work of some PR committee tasked with putting a good face on "make money, dammit"

e.g. Amazon's "work hard, have fun, make history" which probably sounds better in the original German. or their "customer-centered company" which in practice means that management won't shield you from crazy customer demands

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

even as a bottom-tier computer toucher "ship software that's good enough to make customer ops teams not hate us and really like how smart our support teams are" is a much better mission than "get customer money to make their websites and banner ads so the CEO can do coke in their Range Rover during a two hour lunch," hth

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the first is not a company mission though because it doesn't state the company's reason for existing in the first place

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 24, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
company's mission: make money
company's value: the amount of money they have made

some of those questions I would probably have decent answers for, but some of them I'd probably blank as I tried to think of an answer that sounded positive

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Elysiume posted:

company's mission: make money
company's value: the amount of money they have made

some of those questions I would probably have decent answers for, but some of them I'd probably blank as I tried to think of an answer that sounded positive

ya that's the point. it's not the answer itself because everyone can spew out bullshit. it's how hard they have to think about answering and whether you feel like they're coming about them naturally or not.

if you're lucky the guy interviewing you will be totally honest and say something like 'ha yeah get ready to burn the midnight oil if it looks like a deadline is gonna slip' but don't count on it

job i'm at now i talked to 5-6 people and asked a handful of these to every one of them and they all had responses quickly and it didn't look like they had to think of a correct answer before giving it to me. now i've been here a few months and surprise: they weren't bullshitting me. it's actually a good place to work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

you idiots are insanely off topic

wtf???

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ok i'll admit i do filter companies based on "mission," specifically whether their tech solves something that i can recognize as a problem. but i would have done that long before i showed up for an interview and "values" is just propaganda

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you don't have to say those questions verbatim. just be all 'so what things are most important to you guys in day to day work'

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

These have worked well for showing off to HR,

i) What efforts do you extend in educational, humanitarian and general charitable aid? For example as a technology organisation do you promote the mission of Code.org?

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MrMoo posted:

i) What efforts do you extend in educational, humanitarian and general charitable aid? For example as a technology organisation do you promote the mission of Code.org?

ii) How do you promote health and fitness in the workplace? Do employees partake in the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge or similar?
you are chasing after corporate fads my dude, i mean if you're just cynically tyring to impress HR maybe that will do it but i hope you don't believe in this stuff

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MrMoo posted:

code.org is dumb bullshit for driving down wages and making the quality of an average programmer even worse than it already is and if you think it's some noble thing then lmao

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

programming as an industry is lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I felt like I got good mileage out of asking interviewers what time they arrived that morning and what time they planned to leave

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

triple sulk posted:

code.org is dumb bullshit for driving down wages and making the quality of an average programmer even worse than it already is and if you think it's some noble thing then lmao

lmao that sulk is complaining about this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raminasi posted:

I felt like I got good mileage out of asking interviewers what time they arrived that morning and what time they planned to leave

This is good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think my work has a good mission :shobon:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

MrMoo posted:

if some at my office ever again asks me to sign up for this I'm gonna cut someone

gently caress running forever, running sucks. why isn't there a J.P. Morgan bike a century fatass challenge

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
my old city used to have running and cycling events so yeah you could just participate in whatever corporate wankery suited your fancy/bourgeois habits

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

if some at my office ever again asks me to sign up for this I'm gonna cut someone

gently caress running forever, running sucks. why isn't there a J.P. Morgan bike a century fatass challenge

running is good

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Smythe posted:

running is good

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

you are chasing after corporate fads my dude, i mean if you're just cynically tyring to impress HR maybe that will do it but i hope you don't believe in this stuff

The HR lady was pestering me for questions and this was after 5 rounds of interviews already so I copy & pasted from a BBC article I think. She was actually quite happy to answer, but I'll never ask them again. I do ask about gym membership, especially Equinox as that place is pretty nice in NYC, and this was just before I ran the LasVegas marathon so I needed to continue my schedule.

An Uber interviewer mentioned they had a 150mile cycle in Houston or somewhere, sounded pretty amazing for a corporate event.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao if you don't have exercise for lunch and tell everyone this fact at every opportunity

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

carry on then posted:

lmao if you don't have exercise for lunch and tell everyone this fact at every opportunity

Better hearing it rather than smelling it. Too many people exercise in their work attire.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Rex-Goliath posted:

translation: without fail lovely interviewers for lovely companies will try to deflect this one. if they try to say 'oh no don't worry about that' or respond with their actual pto policy just reiterate that they didn't answer your question. when was the last time YOU took pto

also be on the lookout for "they made me take some"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MrMoo posted:

An Uber interviewer...Houston...sounded pretty amazing

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Better hearing it rather than smelling it. Too many people exercise in their work attire.

What?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

With a gym in the building I've seen this in CA a lot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

gross

• Locked thread