Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Also, untold millions of "rare" pokemon are released into the wild every day because of breeding and at this point the rarest pokemon of all other than legendaries are probably the ones that nobody bothers to breed like ratatta and sentret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Rare Pokemon like starters that are released are used to populate other player's Pokemon games.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Honestly if I was Pokemon dictator and wanted to make the game closer to the 'message' I'd get rid of breeding, cut the bottlecap level requirement down to 60 or 70, and add in some way to change natures and balls. You'd be able to take any Pokemon and turn it into whatever you wanted just by training hard enough with it.

But instead I'm grinding out BP so I can buy a destiny knot and engage in Ditto fuckfests.

vOv fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 24, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

vOv posted:

Honestly if I was Pokemon dictator and wanted to make the game closer to the 'message' I'd get rid of breeding, cut the bottlecap level requirement down to 60 or 70, and add in some way to change natures and balls.

I guess forcibly changing your friends personality is better than incestuous eugenics programs...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You'd just teach them to act more modest rather than lazy or whatever.

Still no release date for pokebank other than "January"? I think I'll do a playthrough of the other version once it drops with some dudes I like but didn't get around to using.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 24, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

vOv posted:

Honestly if I was Pokemon dictator and wanted to make the game closer to the 'message' I'd get rid of breeding, cut the bottlecap level requirement down to 60 or 70, and add in some way to change natures and balls. You'd be able to take any Pokemon and turn it into whatever you wanted

I too would like to play on Pokemon Showdown.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
For Nature they should take a page from Hyper Training and make a feature that changes the stat modifier part without changing the actual Nature, e.g., a Bashful Pokemon with the nature acting like it's Jolly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wish there was a way of pointing you in the direction of which which zygarde cells you were missing. I'm at 99/100 and I have no idea where the last one is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wish there was a way of pointing you in the direction of which which zygarde cells you were missing. I'm at 99/100 and I have no idea where the last one is.

That would be nice, but since there's not you just gotta check every spot: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/zygarde.shtml

Or cannibalize another Zygrade you get off of the GTS.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That would be nice, but since there's not you just gotta check every spot: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/zygarde.shtml

How exactly does Zygarde and trading work, anyway?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You can simply turn zygarde's you get from trade into cells, game doesn't seem to care where you get them from.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I can do that with the one from my copy of Sun. It's even less complete but who cares.

Thanks guys.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 24, 2016

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Avalerion posted:

You'd just teach them to act more modest rather than lazy or whatever.

Still no release date for pokebank other than "January"? I think I'll do a playthrough of the other version once it drops with some dudes I like but didn't get around to using.

Well on the 12th there's that Switch Nintendo Direct, I thought they would drop the Pokebank then, for added effect with the Stars announcement.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Going to breed a bunch of Crabminables called Krampus for tomorrow, what's a good item to give them? Was thinking just giving them each an Ultra Ball.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 24, 2016

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I hope you can mix in the zygarde from x/y when pokebank updates, cuz thats what I've been planning on doing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

bunch of dog-mulching frauds. I hope you're happy with your mongrel Frankenzygardes. You monsters.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TheKingofSprings posted:

IVs were a mistake

Competitive Pokemon was a mistake.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I think this really illustrates the craziness in breeding. Getting 6 IVs starting from a non-perfect parent with no destiny knot would be (1/31)^6 or 1/887,503,681. If one IV is perfect already and you use a destiny knot it's (1/31)^5 or 1/28,629,151. For sake of completeness here's the rest of the table:

2 Perfect IVs: (1/31)^4 or 1/923,521
3 Perfect IVs: (1/31)^3 or 1/29,791
4 Perfect IVs: (1/31)^2 or 1/961
5 Perfect IVs: 1/31
6 Perfect IVs: what are you doing you're done already

A shiny is 1/4,096. Using the Masuda Method and Shiny Charm it reduces down to 1/512.

Hopefully this illustrates how crazy IV breeding can get since the odds of genning a shiny are actually higher than getting a 6 IV pokemon off anything less than a Pokemon that already has 4 perfect IVs.

Oh and hatching an egg takes a few minutes, while most of the activities in this table take only a few seconds. If you want to legitimately get a shiny pokemon it's going to take days.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 24, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

I love this

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I just naturally picked up Pokerus. Happy Christmas Eve to me.

Edit: Oh gently caress, I must've caught it last night. Its cured now, according to the icon, despite the pokemon center telling me it was infected this morning. gently caress Christmas.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 24, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

vOv posted:

Honestly if I was Pokemon dictator and wanted to make the game closer to the 'message' I'd get rid of breeding, cut the bottlecap level requirement down to 60 or 70, and add in some way to change natures and balls. You'd be able to take any Pokemon and turn it into whatever you wanted just by training hard enough with it.

I agree with the gist of this. Make the bottlecap and nature things linked to game completion, like an NPC who shows up after you beat the E4 or who appears only in a postgame area, explained as "you can help your best friends who made you the champ reach their full potential!"

A way to change balls is cool but I'd be fine leaving that and shinies as they are for people who want to spend 1,000 hours to get the perfect cosmetics, since they don't actually affect gameplay.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Luxury Balls do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I too would like to play on Pokemon Showdown.

Showdown is for cowards

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

vOv posted:

The Pokemon series is all about developing good friendships and being close with the Pokemon you battle with, which is why you'll have to basically throw away all the ones you start out with after the postgame because they probably have mediocre IVs/natures at best.

This is my #1 problem with Pokémon.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I feel extreme guilt every time I release a poke for a better one

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Going to breed a bunch of Crabminables called Krampus for tomorrow, what's a good item to give them? Was thinking just giving them each an Ultra Ball.

If you have tools to dupe stuff you could give them Farfetch'd Sticks, Soothe Bells and Charcoals. Otherwise I'd go with vending machine drinks as a replacement for schnapps or hard stones instead to serve as coal lumps.

Myself, I was inspired by a wonder traded Phantump (which turned into a spooky christmas tree) and I'm currently preparing a box of HA Phantumps. Time to give the world some Festivenants (it doubles as a belated Halloween gift!)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 24, 2016

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

So, the stats just get better with each generation? They never go down?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Ariong posted:

If you're taking about early gen pokemon getting stat boosts, have you looked at their old stats? Unnecessarily lovely.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ariong posted:

No, they can go down. The way it works is, by default, a pokemon will inherit 3 IVs from its parents and the remaining 3 IVs are random. Of the IVs inherited from its parents, it takes them from a random parent. You can make it so a child inherits 5 IVs from its parents by making either parent hold a Destiny Knot when they breed.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Your Computer posted:

This is my #1 problem with Pokémon.

It's barely unique to pokemon. That's just how the competitive element to anything with changeable parts works.
You could say that you don't form the same bond with say, magic cards. I would disagree.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pakled posted:

No, they can go down. The way it works is, by default, a pokemon will inherit 3 IVs from its parents and the remaining 3 IVs are random. Of the IVs inherited from its parents, it takes them from a random parent. You can make it so a child inherits 5 IVs from its parents by making either parent hold a Destiny Knot when they breed.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll think about getting into that once I finish the story campaign.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

It's barely unique to pokemon. That's just how the competitive element to anything with changeable parts works.
You could say that you don't form the same bond with say, magic cards. I would disagree.

There's no single-player Magic campaign that's all about how you can do anything if you're close enough with your Runeclaw Bear or whatever. I guess maybe Digimon would have a similar problem but I know literally nothing about the games.

vOv fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 24, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ChrisBTY posted:

my bond with jace is unbreakable

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kurtofan posted:

my bond with jace is unbreakable

Oh come on, nobody likes Jace. Not even as a joke.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

vOv posted:

There's no single-player Magic campaign that's all about how you can do anything if you're close enough with your Runeclaw Bear or whatever. I guess maybe Digimon would have a similar problem but I know literally nothing about the games.

look I can beat the biggest boss in Microprose's Magic with the power of love and 99 Runeclaw Bears

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ariong posted:

Okay, that makes sense. I'll think about getting into that once I finish the story campaign.

The ability to check your IVs is something you can only unlock after doing some postgame content, so that's probably a good idea. :v:

Is there an easy way to see whether a Pokemon's full up on EVs?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
If a Pokemon is full on one EV and you check it by pressing Y in its summary, it should sparkle by the words of whatever stat is full.

Also if anyone remembers or can help, I'm still playing kinda slowly and I'm right before the Elite Four challenge, but there is absolutely nothing around for me to level up efficiently on. I spoiled myself on the Pokemon I'll be fighting and their levels, which is all around mid to high 50s, so I want my Pokemon to be around level 60, but all wild Pokemon everywhere is absolute garbage and only low level 40s at best to grind on. Did I miss a good area to grind? That snow cave sucks rear end and I can't access all the new areas until I'm a champion, and it seems like the best thing I can do is stay on Poni Island areas and fight level 43 Pelippers and Granbulls.

I mean if this is the design to force you to be underleveled while fighting the Elite Four, I just want to know.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 24, 2016

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
So is the Castform bonanza over? Trying to get an extra Solgaleo for one now and no bites overnight. Are people having better luck with anything else?

Also sometime on the EV screen one is sparkling but the meter isn't actually full, what does that mean?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

vOv posted:

I guess maybe Digimon would have a similar problem but I know literally nothing about the games.

Nope, it's just all about efficiency in bonus point distribution or time spent. Plus Digimon actually die in some of them :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Willsun posted:

If a Pokemon is full on one EV and you check it by pressing Y in its summary, it should sparkle by the words of whatever stat is full.

Also if anyone remembers or can help, I'm still playing kinda slowly and I'm right before the Elite Four challenge, but there is absolutely nothing around for me to level up efficiently on. I spoiled myself on the Pokemon I'll be fighting and their levels, which is all around mid to high 50s, so I want my Pokemon to be around level 60, but all wild Pokemon everywhere is absolute garbage and only low level 40s at best to grind on. Did I miss a good area to grind? That snow cave sucks rear end and I can't access all the new areas until I'm a champion, and it seems like the best thing I can do is stay on Poni Island areas and fight level 43 Pelippers and Granbulls.

I mean if this is the design to force you to be underleveled while fighting the Elite Four, I just want to know.

As far as I can tell there's no place else to grind. I took them on with a slightly underleveled team, I just brought a shitload of revives/potions to heal up in between rounds.