Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Snorting through the blow
His hair is a toupee
Concept art we show,
Laughing all the way
Folds on Ben's arms swing,
Such a ghastly sight
What fun it is the truth to hide
Development starts tonight

Oh, jingle bells, Ben's folds smell
Ortwin ran away
The backers are blind never mind
They're still gonna pay

*begins intense festive break dance routine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam

What the gently caress. Lol im glad im out :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Salt n Reba McEntire posted:

T'was the day before Christmas, when all through the 'verse,
Not a paid shill was typing; not even to curse.
The fluff posts were ready to publish and share,
In hopes that St Chris would release something rare!

The poo poo'zens were nestled safe in their subreds,
While visions of Idrises danced in their heads,
And Derek in Twitter and I in Discord,
Had finished recapping another years' fraud.

When out from the thread there arose such a chatter;
Tabbed over from Redtube to ask what's the matter.
Away to the Reddit I flew like a flash,
To find all the suckers there pledging more cash!

Illusions of progress had started to slow,
And it looked like next year they had nowhere to go...
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But the engine replaced, pushing dev time back years!

:hfive:

This was good and funny! Merry Christmas, friend!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

MedicineHut posted:

Egg threads, very popular in both Spain/Portugal: https://easyportugueserecipes.com/fios-de-ovos/

You can use it standalone or mix it up with other foods, including savory such as ham.

quote:

Ingredients:
12 egg yolks
1 lbs. sugar
1 cup water

Directions
1) Add the sugar and water to a large saucepan. Put in on medium heat and let it cook until it reaches a syrup consistency. Stir it occasionally.
2) Place the egg yolks into a strainer with a long tip at the end.
3) Slowly drizzle the yolks into the sugar syrup. They will cook as you pour them in.
4) When they become cooked remove them from the sugar syrup onto a strainer.
5) Repeat the process until you run out of yolks. Add extra water to the syrup if it gets too thick.
6) Separate the strands with a fork and drizzle with remaining syrup to keep the threads from getting dry.
7) Once you are done, they are ready to serve.

Woooo

Sounds indulgent. I'll never make it myself, but I hope I have the opportunity to try them sometime.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Propagandist posted:

'Twas the night before Paarpmas, and all through the 'Verse,
Not a backer was pledging, for it just got worse

Delusions were posted on Reddit with care,
In hopes that St. Christopher soon would be there;

Citizens were nestled all snug in their beds,
While autism chariots danced in their heads

Titanic with her iceberg, and I with by bunnes,
Had just finished a season of Friends reruns

When out of the blue there came a new Tweet,
I sprang from the chair to the Warlord's drumbeat

Away to the forums I flew like a flash,
I refreshed the thread and stroked my moustache

The goons were elated, while MoMA was stunned,
Chris Roberts had finally run out of funds

When, what to my wondering eyes do I see,
The Warlord himself is now claiming a V

A "washed-up developer", so salty and tart,
I knew in a moment it must be D_Smart.

More wordy than EULAs his topics they came
He tweeted, and posted, and blogged them by name:

"Now! Archer, now! Legal, now! Lesnick and Lando,
"On! Sandi, on! Zendesk, you're snowflakes, commandos!

"To the federal building! To the town city hall!
"Now litigate! Litigate! Litigate all!"

As interns that 'fore the bankruptcy will flee,
When parted with paycheck, sans college degree;

So up to the jailhouse the p'licemen they flew,
With the car full of staff - and St. Christopher too:

And then in a minute, I heard in the thread
The anger of backers was fin'lly widespread

As I refreshed the thread, and was getting right sauced
A new blog from D_Smart, so smug and aroused

He typed in all caps, was having a cow
His sources were leaking: "Apocolypse, Now!"

A bundle of links were slapp'd right at the end,
His first July blog post, "Read it!" he contends

His eyes - how they twinkled! His hairline, how thinning,
Old Greybeard had won; on his chair he sat spinning

His poo poo-eating grin displayed a bright glow,
And his message was thus: "loving told you so!"

"They switched the game's engine", he wrote with a curse.
"There is always more, and it is always worse!"

The crossed arms of colbert he showed with an air
He cackled with glee, and leaned back in his chair

His post had that rhythm, that rhyme, and that station
"Forty-two is eighty-sixed, sweet vindication!"

But I saw him exclaim, when this fire he set alight
"Happy Paarpmas to all, and to all a good night!"

Holy cow this made me :lol:! You're good with these!!! :3:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Propagandist posted:

'Twas the night before Paarpmas, and all through the 'Verse,
Not a backer was pledging, for it just got worse

Delusions were posted on Reddit with care,
In hopes that St. Christopher soon would be there;

Citizens were nestled all snug in their beds,
While autism chariots danced in their heads

Titanic with her iceberg, and I with by bunnes,
Had just finished a season of Friends reruns

When out of the blue there came a new Tweet,
I sprang from the chair to the Warlord's drumbeat

Away to the forums I flew like a flash,
I refreshed the thread and stroked my moustache

The goons were elated, while MoMA was stunned,
Chris Roberts had finally run out of funds

When, what to my wondering eyes do I see,
The Warlord himself is now claiming a V

A "washed-up developer", so salty and tart,
I knew in a moment it must be D_Smart.

More wordy than EULAs his topics they came
He tweeted, and posted, and blogged them by name:

"Now! Archer, now! Legal, now! Lesnick and Lando,
"On! Sandi, on! Zendesk, you're snowflakes, commandos!

"To the federal building! To the town city hall!
"Now litigate! Litigate! Litigate all!"

As interns that 'fore the bankruptcy will flee,
When parted with paycheck, sans college degree;

So up to the jailhouse the p'licemen they flew,
With the car full of staff - and St. Christopher too:

And then in a minute, I heard in the thread
The anger of backers was fin'lly widespread

As I refreshed the thread, and was getting right sauced
A new blog from D_Smart, so smug and aroused

He typed in all caps, was having a cow
His sources were leaking: "Apocolypse, Now!"

A bundle of links were slapp'd right at the end,
His first July blog post, "Read it!" he contends

His eyes - how they twinkled! His hairline, how thinning,
Old Greybeard had won; on his chair he sat spinning

His poo poo-eating grin displayed a bright glow,
And his message was thus: "loving told you so!"

"They switched the game's engine", he wrote with a curse.
"There is always more, and it is always worse!"

The crossed arms of colbert he showed with an air
He cackled with glee, and leaned back in his chair

His post had that rhythm, that rhyme, and that station
"Forty-two is eighty-sixed, sweet vindication!"

But I saw him exclaim, when this fire he set alight
"Happy Paarpmas to all, and to all a good night!"

Beautiful

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

This explains why SM is semi functional

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

XK posted:

They've taken inspiration from CIG's version numbering? It seems 4 was almost completely skipped, like with MS and Windows 8 -> 10. Did they have a 4 release?

So, is CryEngine 5 the same as 3.8.1? I'm just looking for a solid answer, because the version numbering claims I'm seeing seem a little shady, but I keep seeing 3.8x as being where Lumberyard branched.

Not quiiite, I was even wrong about that bit. 3.8 is like in limbo. "Cryengine 4" is the 3.6.x line (Crytek did decide to change their branding back in 2013, decoupling the internal version numbers from what they called the engine- 3.6.x is called "Cryengine 4", for example), and then 3.8 was released as a major update at the same time as the 5.0 line, but never given it's own public name. But both of them have many overlapping features (OpenGL support, VR support), and there were 3.8.x updates released after the first 5.0/"Cryengine 5" release.

I guess the most important feature to be in 5.0 that is not in earlier lines is Direct X 12 support.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hanales posted:

I'll be making these today as per Christmas tradition.

Good god, how many cookies does that make, like a hundred and fifty?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Gwaihir posted:

Not quiiite, I was even wrong about that bit. 3.8 is like in limbo. "Cryengine 4" is the 3.6.x line (Crytek did decide to change their branding back in 2013, decoupling the internal version numbers from what they called the engine- 3.6.x is called "Cryengine 4", for example), and then 3.8 was released as a major update at the same time as the 5.0 line, but never given it's own public name. But both of them have many overlapping features (OpenGL support, VR support), and there were 3.8.x updates released after the first 5.0/"Cryengine 5" release.

I guess the most important feature to be in 5.0 that is not in earlier lines is Direct X 12 support.

3.8.1 is 5.0 then? Or, 5.0 has DirectX 12, but the others don't?

So confusing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Did they seriously push out a big new patch on Christmas Eve

Sure is a nice working environment at CIG

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
:iiam:

5.0 is definitely the line where DX12 went in, but 3.8.1-3.8.6 were developed and released at the same time/after 5.0 as part of Crytek's ongoing "Engine as a service" releases on Steam.

So I guess I'd say they're (3.8.x) definitely not part of what crytek formally advertises as "Cryengine 5" but they're also the release immediately after "Cryengine 4." So They are actually the 5th iteration of cryengine. Just not what is advertised as "Cryengine 5."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Also I'm pretty sure I'm now dumber and need to drink more eggnog.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

:iiam:

5.0 is definitely the line where DX12 went in, but 3.8.1-3.8.6 were developed and released at the same time/after 5.0 as part of Crytek's ongoing "Engine as a service" releases on Steam.

So I guess I'd say they're (3.8.x) definitely not part of what crytek formally advertises as "Cryengine 5" but they're also the release immediately after "Cryengine 4." So They are actually the 5th iteration of cryengine. Just not what is advertised as "Cryengine 5."

This kind of confusion sounds like it's right up crobblers alley. Perfect for SC.

Pureauthor posted:

Did they seriously push out a big new patch on Christmas Eve

Sure is a nice working environment at CIG

New engine.

lol

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

ripptide posted:

Well, y'know that real history has never been the most favoured subject of Shitizens. If they can re-write it, they'll try.

Star Citizen: No matter if history or engines or TOS or release dates, everything can be rewritten+refactored

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's like they were made for each other, really.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I'm now even more confused about CryEngine versions than I was before.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

XK posted:

I'm now even more confused about CryEngine versions than I was before.

All you need to know is that it's good for Star Citizen

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Apparently Lumberyard also derives from Cryengine 3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryEngine

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
this is where backers should be unable to reconcile the cognitive dissonance

"CryEngine wasn't a bad choice because they hired a bunch of Crytek developers and have spent four years developing their own engine which is no longer as obviously bad as CryEngine was so they are switching to a different version of CryEngine at year 5 of development"

"Star Citizen has the most open development of any game ever. Period. No game has ever been more open. You should be thanking god that CIG chooses to be the worlds most open game development studio with you. Which is why we still haven't seen Squadron 42, have no idea why we haven't seen it and found out 11 months after a decision to switch engines and now don't even know the full implications of that."

Apparently they are using Schrodinger's Engine that both is and is not CryEngine depending on if the person talking about it needs it to be to support their faith based reasoning. This is pretty hilarious since I expected them to have to switch to an actual engine that might actually deliver on some of their promises, instead of choosing a different form of the worst possible engine.

"Lumberyard is CryEngine!!!! just copy and paste!!!! You don't understand Game Development!" is a pretty neat new talking point for the pamphlet though. We should make a collage of all of the uses of it so far.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beexoffel posted:

This only made it worse. What the gently caress CryTech?

The chart is baffling enough, but reading the wiki page is just nonsense with version numbers.

quote:

and announced that their next CryEngine would not be advertised with a version number.

It seems they were also confused.

XK fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 24, 2016

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
CryEngine, where the version numbers are made up and the games using it don't matter.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Wasn't there a Sean Tracy interview earlier in the year where he said Star Engine is like 50% new code or something to that effect?

Granted he's 100% full of poo poo and the cultists have repeatedly established that they're too dim to be bothered by blatant contradictions coming from the mouths of their prophets.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
This project is way beyond hosed.
Lol at a engine switch which is applauded as something well thought after 4 years of development

It just keeps delivering, doesn't it?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chin posted:

Wasn't there a Sean Tracy interview earlier in the year where he said Star Engine is like 50% new code or something to that effect?

Granted he's 100% full of poo poo and the cultists have repeatedly established that they're too dim to be bothered by blatant contradictions coming from the mouths of their prophets.

i think the path of least resistance for the delusion in this case is to just ignore that it has a different name and pretend all of the work / code changes aren't affected by the move at all, since they are both based on CryEngine.

You just open up Lumberyard.dat and copy in your StarEngine.dat and bam, instant changeover. Do you not understand game development?

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Holy poo poo that moderation, incredible

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Persistence is in!

Grenade carries over from pre-match, causing a suicide once the match starts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k3o7r/grenade_carries_over_from_prematch_causing_a/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone else said it but it actually is making sense now , all those things we laughed at

Working on 2.6 and 3.0 at the same time ? Sure they were simply on two different engines

The pipelines will save us!
Yep now they can import 100s of artist creations not lumber yard and look like heroes, the 'pipeline' was using a new engine

Sandi's big plans to 'go wider' in 2017 ? With Amazon you sure will

If anything I think this will sink cig faster than they could have done on their own , they have actual oversight now

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lime Tonics posted:

Persistence is in!

Grenade carries over from pre-match, causing a suicide once the match starts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5k3o7r/grenade_carries_over_from_prematch_causing_a/

I read a post on another forum where they said the grenades were "physicalized" so you can shoot them to move them around.

And whoever brought up Factorio, thanks. Enjoying the game.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This was just the perfect present. There really is a Santa Crobbler and he read my letter.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

RattiRatto posted:

This project is way beyond hosed.
Lol at a engine switch which is applauded as something well thought after 4 years of development

It just keeps delivering, doesn't it?

not just an engine switch, a switch from basically a custom engine conversion that they've been working on for four years, to SOMEONE ELSE'S CONVERSION OF THE SAME ENGINE that has not been custom designed for what CIG needs it to do but is still apparently still better at it than their four year multi million dollar project to create something perfect for their unique needs

Jesus wept

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Beexoffel posted:

That chart's lumping the "Cryengine 4" (3.6) and "Well this is a major post cryengine 4 update but we're a company in chaos and don't know what to call it" (3.8) in to the "Cryengine 3" category, which isn't really true if you go by feature level or by branding choice, but is true if you go only by the internal version numbers.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"CryEngine wasn't a bad choice because they hired a bunch of Crytek developers and have spent four years developing their own engine which is no longer as obviously bad as CryEngine was so they are switching to a different version of CryEngine at year 5 of development"

CryEngine was the best choice they had at the time. There were lots of problems with it, but they've extensively modified everything.

Ohhhh. Lumberyard, yeah, there we go. Perfectly reasonable. This is a win for CIG.

quote:

"Star Citizen has the most open development of any game ever. Period. No game has ever been more open. You should be thanking god that CIG chooses to be the worlds most open game development studio with you. Which is why we still haven't seen Squadron 42, have no idea why we haven't seen it and found out 11 months after a decision to switch engines and now don't even know the full implications of that."

Evening of Friday December 23, lol. Such openess, great development.

quote:

"Lumberyard is CryEngine!!!! just copy and paste!!!! You don't understand Game Development!" is a pretty neat new talking point for the pamphlet though. We should make a collage of all of the uses of it so far.

Uhh, CryEngine 5.0/3.8.1 whatever is almost the same as their heavily modified custom engine. Stop spreading FUD.

Prove that they can't just copy their extensive modifications over. Prove it, Goonie!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

moveable shape posted:

Holy poo poo that moderation, incredible

They obviously couldn't be hosed dealing with that bullshit right at Xmas time. First they merged all the 'Lumberyard' threads into that one making it virtually impossible to read, then they close the thread because 'already happened'.

Yeah, god-forbid anyone talk about things that have already happened, the RSI forums are a place for ~~DREAMS~~.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 24, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

They want $70 for a pair of missiles.

lol

Check out that animation of a bunch of missiles being loaded.

[Someone will have to post that image of the missile loading bay for me]

How much does that cost? Who cares? What are you, poor?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Gwaihir posted:

Also I'm pretty sure I'm now dumber and need to drink more eggnog.

Did anyone say Dumberyard yet?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: True Death Throws

PS: Star Citizen hit HackerNews and is trending:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So how long until they announce the console versions?

And that press release is marketing 101. Talking about the switch, but in broad strokes and vaguely enough so that either their whales will fill in the blanks with a narrative of their own (which currently is "look we have two forks of the same engine, forks work like this: they took their custom stuff and pasted in the other fork and all worked fine") or there will be a major negative backlash during the holidays and they will deal with it when they get back (with more, but still measured, information).

But bottom line seems to be, their previous custom engine was a loving mess and they couldn't go on seriously considering integration and viable product with that. So they switched to a less hosed fork with Amazon actively supporting it hoping for better results (which they will get, but definitely not the "dream"-level features)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just remember, the HELP/SERVICE desk sandi has been running since she has been the best little girl ever, is CLOSED until the 3rd of January.

Maybe they went on another trip to ITALY after amazon paid um for all those whales details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I really want someone to repost that animation of their dumb rear end missile loading thing, because it's now relevant. Each of those things cost $35.