Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inverse square posted:

Is there any accepted wisdom here about whether Aorus laptops are more reliable than Asus? :o Leaning towards Aorus as it has a better CPU.

Context: I am picking between an Aorus x5 v6 and an Asus ROG Strix GL502VS. The reason for this is because I want a light, 15 inch laptop that is VR compatible and it is paid for out of expenses.

So speaking of the warranty - they just offered to send me a new charger free, uh, charge. I stupidly chipped the plastic but at the end of mine, or it got damaged in shipping. Sent them an email just in case, mostly just seeing if I could buy a new one. And instead they just flat out say that they'll send me a new charger, no need to send the old one in. Pretty fantastic support honestly. Way better than Lenovo.

Also the aesthetics are great. It's not too leet gamer-ish, you can disable the RGB back light, or enable it when you want to have some fun, and if you're at all patriotic the otherwise vaguely ignorable eagle on the track pad is pretty bitchin.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
How are thermals (internal), noise, and keyboard flex?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

How are thermals (internal), noise, and keyboard flex?

Hot, moderate to loud, and (completely!) nonexistent respectively. Like straight up, literally no keyboard flex whatsoever, no matter where I press. I can't even perceive any movement in keys other than what I pressed.

I wouldn't recommend gaming with this on bare legs and headphones are probably nice? But on jeans or sweatpants it's fine and it doesn't throttle anyways, and I find that the fan noise, while not insignificant, is pretty easily ignored once you get in game.

As far as flaws go, they're pretty minor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Reason I thought might be 1050 ti is because they cite 4gb when, IIRC, only 2gb 1050's exist, and the 4GB ones are all the ti's.

Agreed, TI would have been nice.

Or someone doing the copy for the laptop typoed. If they're mating that laptop to a 2K screen, it'll probably have a 1050Ti linked to it, but on the other hand, Dell's a big enough vendor to have the sway to make a 4GB 1050 happen.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 21, 2016

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Returned the spectre, jesus what a horrible touchpad. The 360 feature worked surprisingly well and apart from the touchpad being poo poo and the screen being a solid "meh", it's not a bad laptop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

If there is a 1050 ti in the XPS 15 then it instantly becomes a much better value proposition. The 1050 is pretty anemic, but the 1050ti is basically a straight up sidegrade from the GTX 960, whereas the 1050 is definitely a bit of a downgrade.

I can't quite recall the performance delta between the 1050ti and the 1050, but it was like 15% or so IIRC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Actually, the 1050Ti has been rated as being 10-15% better than the 970M, so it's markedly better than the 960M, which is effectively a 750Ti. The other ~great white hope~ is that the 1050Ti laptops force the Skylake-using laptops with 1060s down into Black Friday pricing to make way for the 7300s and 7700s. It's not like there won't be Kaby quads using the 1060s and higher, too.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
So I ended up purchasing a refurbished t440s from newegg

The laptop came in fast, but while I was setting it up I noticed an issue with the front left corner of the bottom section.

The box came with a paper saying to email or call a different company than newegg, so I sent them an email with the picture and telling them it was working fine, but the case is damaged. They immediately offered a refund, or an exchange for the same computer. I took them up on the exchange, they sent me a postage thing to put on my box and the exchange went easy. The new laptop came in yesterday, but there is more issues.

The "V" key is glued to the little pad, and the back clips on the key are broken, so the key only ever works when I press it in a certain spot, and not to hard. The actual hinges in the keyboard appear to be fine, its just the key itself.

and the ground on the plug is all messed up.

Anyone else ever have these kind of issues with a refurbish? Is this something I should of expected?

I'm going to send them an email this morning and see whats up. I'd prefer if they just sent a new key, and a new charger so I can be done with this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The refurbisher is to blame here, and it's good that they sent you a new one, but they should have hand-picked it.

I never buy refurbished from NewEgg in general

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Newegg refurbished is "cleaned up by some random used-parts shop", not actual manufacturer refurbs in most cases. I got an Ivy Bridge Latitude there about a year back and it was mostly just fine in a functional sense, but it was definitely scuffed and scratched enough to be B-grade with a battery that barely held a charge for three months before keeling over. In comparison, the from-Dell refurb I got to replace it looked and worked like new except for the sticker calling it out as a refurb and somewhat Spartan packaging.

It looks like you got a reseller who is willing to extend the definition of "functional" relatively far and is perhaps hoping people put up with it instead of asking for replacements. The pricing can be really appealing, but I guess this is the flip side of that.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Good news is they are sending me a new keyboard and charger. At least the customer service is fast and friendly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Crell posted:

So I ended up purchasing a refurbished t440s from newegg

The laptop came in fast, but while I was setting it up I noticed an issue with the front left corner of the bottom section.

The box came with a paper saying to email or call a different company than newegg, so I sent them an email with the picture and telling them it was working fine, but the case is damaged. They immediately offered a refund, or an exchange for the same computer. I took them up on the exchange, they sent me a postage thing to put on my box and the exchange went easy. The new laptop came in yesterday, but there is more issues.

The "V" key is glued to the little pad, and the back clips on the key are broken, so the key only ever works when I press it in a certain spot, and not to hard. The actual hinges in the keyboard appear to be fine, its just the key itself.

and the ground on the plug is all messed up.

Anyone else ever have these kind of issues with a refurbish? Is this something I should of expected?

I'm going to send them an email this morning and see whats up. I'd prefer if they just sent a new key, and a new charger so I can be done with this.

I've never had an issue like that with any actual refurb. Those laptops are straight-up "used" not actually refurbished. The best thing to do here is return it and not buy from that reseller again. Don't let this turn you off from refurbs in general though, you just ran into a bad operation unfortunately.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why are they using the term 'refurbished' when they should be 'off-lease' or something like that?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This deal on the Canadian Microsoft store is loving insane. Buddy of mine was looking for laptops for his kids for Christmas and I found this deal for him on Black Friday, he stayed up to order them before they went out of stock...and they are still in stock somehow. i5/8gb/1080p touch screen! If its $499 here its probably only 5 cents on the US store. I really want to get it even though my laptop hardly needs replacement especially once I install the SSD I have on the way.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

anyone know of any cheap laptops with integrated hard shell cases? i do a lot of simple networking stuff outdoors for work and just want something that won't shatter when i drop it, like with my current laptop, just now. i know i could just buy one as an accessory but idk it would be easier if it came with one.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

anyone know of any cheap laptops with integrated hard shell cases? i do a lot of simple networking stuff outdoors for work and just want something that won't shatter when i drop it, like with my current laptop, just now. i know i could just buy one as an accessory but idk it would be easier if it came with one.

I guess you want a Panasonic Toughbook then. They're not cheap new, but you can find older ones inexpensively: https://www.bobjohnson.com/toughbook-cf-c1-mk2/

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is the new Dell XPS 13 FHD's battery life really that good (11-12 hours)? I'm on a 2013 rMBP 13 and I'm rarely getting more than 6 hours just browsing/using Google Docs.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I can't seem to find the 16gb RAM/512 SSD non-touch XPS 13 anywhere online (UK). Could swear I saw it on Dell's UK site a month ago but they only have the touchscreen version now.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

space marine todd posted:

Is the new Dell XPS 13 FHD's battery life really that good (11-12 hours)? I'm on a 2013 rMBP 13 and I'm rarely getting more than 6 hours just browsing/using Google Docs.

Nope. I only was getting ~4 hours with mine browsing the internet. Streaming lasted longer b/c of hw decoders, and that was closer to 8. Mostly a great laptop, but the battery doesn't last as often as most mac stuff and the trackpad and wireless went on the fritz a couple times in the 3 days I tried one out.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Went and played with the XPSes at a MS store yesterday, the edge to edge screens are really great. The 13 is a tiny tiny baby of a laptop cause of it, and the 15 is pretty svelte as well. Very likely grabbing a 15 in April when I'm shopping for a laptop.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think I'm general people have had very good experiences with eBay refurbishers

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
And the Dell Outlet is a great source as well

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
My mother's desktop has finally died - she's looking to replace it for up to £400 (but preferably under £300). She doesn't really care if it's a desktop or a laptop, just that it runs Windows 10, isn't slow as poo poo. She mostly uses it for web browsing and photo viewing and playing games like mahjong. I'm not ruling out also recommending she just gets a new desktop (full size or small form factor), but it's pretty hard to find decent reviews and as far as I can tell laptops seem to be the default option these days unless you're a hardcore gamer.

Things that do matter
250gb+ storage. Won't care if HDD or SSD.
Ethernet port
VGA/DVI out OR a decent, bright, clear ~15inch display.
Durability/reliability (might get poked a bit by careless grandkids)
Speaker port (for PC speakers) (is this just the same as a headphone port now?)
4+ USB ports
Windows 10 OS
Decent amount of RAM (she loves opening like 50 tabs)

Things that don't matter:
Weight/portability
Battery life
In-built speaker quality
Screen quality/size matters less IF it has VGA/DVI out
Optical drive

(I've separately told her to research Chromebooks to see if that would meet her needs (she's initially turned off by the idea but hadn't heard of them), but for the purposes of this post, assume it won't be a Chromebook)

Ewan fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 23, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Refurb T540 might work. Buying a computer with an SSD will ensure that the mechanics of the hard drive won't fail with age and won't slow down over time so you can go longer between buying computers in the future. Pretty much any i5 should last you indefinitely.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

540 will have the stupid trackpad won't it?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

:( yeah and while you can swap in the T460 trackpad it's an otherwise great laptop

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Help me pick a new laptop, laptop thread.

I have been running Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro from early spring 2011 kitted out with a 15" screen, i7 CPU, 8GB RAM and a 500gb SSD. It's been a rock solid performer for my mobile music production needs and the occasional game. My only frustrations with it are the stupid clacky touch pad that doesn't have a right-click and its boot time, since apparently it looks for an OSX partition first then times out then boots from the first primary partition.

So for various reasons I'm ready to buy a new laptop, and I'm looking for a similarly-spec'd laptop with a similar size/weight/keyboard/performance for Windows 10.

I'm partial to Dell laptops if only because I've been using them for years, but absolutely open to other brands. I've seen ASUS and HP laptops that are similar in size but have never used them. Are they any good? I also remember Lenovo laptops being solid performers for business use so I'm wondering how they'd do as a media machine.

Any other recommendations?

Here's what I'm looking for:
15" screen @ 1920 x 1080 (minimum)
8gb RAM
i5 CPU (4 cores)
500gb SSD (would be willing to put in an aftermarket SSD if the process isn't ridiculously complex)
Windows 10

I'm not interested in paying extra for a touch screen or a 2-in-1 thing but if that's how they all come nowadays, then so be it.

My budget is $1000, more or less. I could probably swing a little bit either way.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 24, 2016

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
At which model T or X series did Lenovo begin to ship them with decent screens by default? My refurb T430 has been great but the screen has been murder on my eyes. Thankfully it's not my main machine but I use it enough that it becomes a problem after a while.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Help me pick a new laptop, laptop thread.

I have been running Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro from early spring 2011 kitted out with a 15" screen, i7 CPU, 8GB RAM and a 500gb SSD. It's been a rock solid performer for my mobile music production needs and the occasional game. My only frustrations with it are the stupid clacky touch pad that doesn't have a right-click and its boot time, since apparently it looks for an OSX partition first then times out then boots from the first primary partition.

So for various reasons I'm ready to buy a new laptop, and I'm looking for a similarly-spec'd laptop with a similar size/weight/keyboard/performance for Windows 10.

I'm partial to Dell laptops if only because I've been using them for years, but absolutely open to other brands. I've seen ASUS and HP laptops that are similar in size but have never used them. Are they any good? I also remember Lenovo laptops being solid performers for business use so I'm wondering how they'd do as a media machine.

Any other recommendations?

Here's what I'm looking for:
15" screen @ 1920 x 1080 (minimum)
8gb RAM
i5 CPU (4 cores)
500gb SSD (would be willing to put in an aftermarket SSD if the process isn't ridiculously complex)
Windows 10

I'm not interested in paying extra for a touch screen or a 2-in-1 thing but if that's how they all come nowadays, then so be it.

My budget is $1000, more or less. I could probably swing a little bit either way.

The del xps would be good, though youve probably missed the xmas sales. i'm pretty sure the skylake up ones use nvme ssds, so i really don't know if you could bring in your old ssd, but it should be fairly painless to add in a new one, from what I've seen. The touchpad on it is moderately close to the apple ones, though i've had a few hiccups with the one I tried where it would spaz out and select everything or change zoom level or something like that. The battery life would be comparable to yours I'm sure, on the 13 I tried out I was getting like 8-9 purely streaming, and 4-5 or 6 browsing the internet or doing office-y things. The nice thing about the dells is that the min resolution is 1080p, with an option for uhd though its detrimental for battery life. The dell outlet has them from around $800 for 128gb ssd to over $1k for things like UHD, 960m, 256+GB SSD, i7, 16GB ram etc.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Nope. I only was getting ~4 hours with mine browsing the internet. Streaming lasted longer b/c of hw decoders, and that was closer to 8. Mostly a great laptop, but the battery doesn't last as often as most mac stuff and the trackpad and wireless went on the fritz a couple times in the 3 days I tried one out.

drat, that sucks. It looks perfect for just about everything else.

Another thing: My wife and I both have 13" MBPr's, but we don't want to bring both of them on our trip to Thailand.

Any suggestions for a cheap netbook with an HDMI port?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Butt Savage posted:

At which model T or X series did Lenovo begin to ship them with decent screens by default? My refurb T430 has been great but the screen has been murder on my eyes. Thankfully it's not my main machine but I use it enough that it becomes a problem after a while.

I want to say the Tx40 generation was when decent screens came back, at least for the T4xx series.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
By default they're still shipping with 1366x768 screens. I think. Maybe the t460s and x1 carbon come with 1920x1080 screens as the low end.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

space marine todd posted:

Another thing: My wife and I both have 13" MBPr's, but we don't want to bring both of them on our trip to Thailand.

Any suggestions for a cheap netbook with an HDMI port?

Asus has a 11.6" Chromebook that's quite adequate for $180. It has solid build quality with a very decent keyboard and screen. Should do the job for a basic email/Facebook/etc laptop. Every Chromebook in existence has HDMI too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBGVB7K

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I'm thinking about getting a refurbished Dell Latitude E7270, i7, 13", 16GB RAM, with 512GB SSD for £650.

It seems like a good deal - given that the other choice I was considering is XPS15 at £1188, which is not a price I'd like to shell out for a laptop.
On the other hand I don't know what Scratch & Dent means in Dell world, nor what is goon opinion of Latitudes.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 25, 2016

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

canis minor posted:

I'm thinking about getting a refurbished Dell Latitude E7270, i7, 13", 16GB RAM, with 512GB SSD for £650.

It seems like a good deal - given that the other choice I was considering is XPS15 at £1188, which is not a price I'd like to shell out for a laptop.
On the other hand I don't know what Scratch & Dent means in Dell world, nor what is goon opinion of Latitudes.

I bought a 7270 refurbished and it was 100% like new except the headphone jack didn't work. If not for that I would have loved it. Super easy return with no restocking fee as well.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I bought a 7270 refurbished and it was 100% like new except the headphone jack didn't work. If not for that I would have loved it. Super easy return with no restocking fee as well.
My experience of Dell is that this is 100% like new. :D

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there any ideas when the XPS with 1050 is gonna go on sale?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

There was a leak for ASUS' Kaby Lake laptops that said 1/31, but somehow I think it'll be sooner, especially with regards to Dell. The official launch date for Kaby Lake is on January 5th.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

movax posted:

I want to say the Tx40 generation was when decent screens came back, at least for the T4xx series.

havenwaters posted:

By default they're still shipping with 1366x768 screens. I think. Maybe the t460s and x1 carbon come with 1920x1080 screens as the low end.

I got really lucky with my T430: high-res screen and 12 GB of RAM for $300. Gonna try and see if I have similar luck in about a year with newer models. I'm alright with getting less ram, but the high res screen has spoiled me and it'd be nice to get an IPS one next time around. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the above models. From my experience, though, carbons run a bit too much for my refurb pricepoint so that's probably out of the picture.

Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

Middle of January to third week of February, but that's a wild rear end guess. Depends on the yields of Kaby lake processors any exclusivity agreements etc etc. Ivy Bridge was almost four months late (announced for mid March, shipped mid June), haswell shipped the following year but only a handful of models released that fall, the following year there was a trickle of models until March. Intel had a really tough time getting yields up which impacted things. Sounds like Kaby Lake is going to be mostly on time which is why people are guessing for very soon. Nothing will ship until the end of CES in January for maximum marketing effect. The XPS 15 "leak" a week and a half before CES and after the "must buy by this date to arrive by Christmas" date had passed was probably not an accident.