Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/19/daniel-ellsberg-edward-snowden-and-the-modern-whistle-blower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

goddamnedtwisto posted:

seriously the funniest bit of any of the discworld books imo.

that whole sequence is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYToKNkXh0A&t=153s

best loving christmas movie ever.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

this is a good read

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:same:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well amsterdam is as good a place as any

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Lmao @ this writer.

So the NSA starts creating a digital Panopticon that, in the wrong hands, could effectively end civil liberties and any sort of constructive dissent toward the government. But because Snowden decided to entrust the curation of the data to the media instead of himself, and because he did so in a manner that failed to respect the politics and twelfth-dimentional chess of insiders, I'm supposed to feel bad about his leak? Am I supposed to sympathize with Ellsburg who, as a grown-rear end man, sobbed uncontrollably in his hotel room because Snowden said he never saw the movie "Dr. Strangelove"?

This is just more of the same poo poo we are seeing out of Washington insiders: style over content, form over function, "optics" over information. The Vietnam war destroyed millions of lives and PRISM (or something like it) is likely complete and ready for use by Trump to oppress hundreds of millions. The only "proper" and "acceptable" action to take is to drag out those responsible and shoot them in the street. Go cry some more about it, Ellsburg.

Sophian fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 24, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sophian posted:

Lmao @ this writer.

So the NSA starts creating a digital Panopticon that, in the wrong hands, could effectively end civil liberties and any sort of constructive dissent toward the government. But because Snowden decided to entrust the curation of the data to the media instead of himself, and because he did so in a manner that failed to respect the politics and twelfth-dimentional chess of insiders, I'm supposed to feel bad about his leak? Am I supposed to sympathize with Ellsburg who, as a grown-rear end man, sobbed uncontrollably in his hotel room because Snowden said he never saw the movie "Dr. Strangelove"?

This is just more of the same poo poo we are seeing out of Washington insiders: style over content, form over function, "optics" over information. The Vietnam war destroyed millions of lives and PRISM (or something like it) is likely complete and ready for use by Trump to oppress hundreds of millions. The only "proper" and "acceptable" action to take is to drag out those responsible and shoot them in the street. Go cry some more about it, Ellsburg.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

merry yosmas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bill NYSE posted:

merry yosmas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Bill NYSE posted:

merry yosmas.

That's not what satan looks like

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

it's this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Beelzebub gets flame powers because a dyslexic thought it was 'lord of the fires'

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
would love to hear an explanation of the difference between "evil courage" and "courage"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

FMguru posted:

would love to hear an explanation of the difference between "evil courage" and "courage"

well, you can be courageous, but then you can also be courageous and... evil!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

FMguru posted:

it takes a lot of evil courage to beat up a child

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Beelzebub gets flame powers because a dyslexic thought it was 'lord of the fires'

Fun fact Beelzebub (lit. Lord of the Flies) was probably a derogatory term used by the ancient Hebrews to mock the Philistine god Beelzebul (lit. Lord of the Manor/Estate)

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Everyone has seen this

but some more

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bill NYSE posted:

merry yosmas.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sophian posted:

Lmao @ this writer.

i see you are as unthinking and lazy as snowden

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
We don't deserve Edward Snowden.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

ArmZ posted:

i see you are as unthinking and lazy as snowden

you have to decode the acrostic

cant just post that poo poo here, these forums have been compromised

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

wargames posted:

Everyone has seen this

but some more

this seems silly at first but i bet its for a real study about how cows hold up in storms or some poo poo isn't it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

wargames posted:

Everyone has seen this

but some more

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

SEGATA! SANSHIRO!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

KoRMaK posted:

this seems silly at first but i bet its for a real study about how cows hold up in storms or some poo poo isn't it?

It's a cow in a hypersonic flow. I think the main joke is that it takes days for an i7 to render a split-second hypersoni flow on a simple shape like a cone, depending on the complexity of the gasses modeled and stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How is one gas more complex than another? It's just density

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Sophian posted:

Fun fact Beelzebub (lit. Lord of the Flies) was probably a derogatory term used by the ancient Hebrews to mock the Philistine god Beelzebul (lit. Lord of the Manor/Estate)

more specifically, they called him lord of the flies because flies gather on poop

they were saying he's poo poo, mlmp

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

you use different animals for different forces, it's sheep for shearing forces iirc

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

theflyingexecutive posted:

you use different animals for different forces, it's sheep for shearing forces iirc

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

so mad at this

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Sophian posted:

Lmao @ this writer.

I liked it because it was a more nuanced breakdown of why Snowden's leak was 'bad', even though what he leaked was good.

It's still flawed for sure. I agree that they included too much unfounded opinion piece material (b-b-but he didn't play by our rules :cry:, as a hacker he can't understand how things work, maybe a foreign state is controlling him, etc.). But to me, the biggest oversight was that they tried to insist that his leak wasn't effective because he didn't understand how to use a piece of information to send a message, but reality is that he succeeded in sending an extremely loud message, much bigger than just the one leak. Not sure if they missed by willful ignorance or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

wtf is the cow forces?

• Locked thread