Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Young Freud posted:

Noriyoshi Ohrai's cheating and the actual movie does not live up to these posters, but gently caress are they just awesome on their own.

No movie could live up to those posters.

According to google, he did the Char's Counterattack poster I posted too

which is somewhat underwhelming compared to those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I apologize for the poo poo I seem to have unleashed on this thread.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

flosofl posted:

It's also remarkably hard to find good anime posters. I've yet to see any.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

The Cameo posted:

The Totoro poster also actually acts as a sister piece to Ghibli's other early masterpiece, released in the same year:

(so Garden of Words had great posters. Shoot me.)

hell yeah

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

They seem pretty serene about being engulfed in flame. Either that or Shrek's unleashing a whopper right into the dragon's mouth and he's gonna get strep throat.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

That one is in my office. Stolen from the Rotunda Theaters in Baltimore when I was a kid.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That one is in my office. Stolen from the Rotunda Theaters in Baltimore when I was a kid.

Owns. I got a massive vintage poster from Australia. It's beautiful. And rotting away in storage somewhere.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
That poster is great. Is that adaptation of the story worth watching? I've seen the 1953 adaptation and it's great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sorcerer is an amazing film.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Detective Thompson posted:

That poster is great. Is that adaptation of the story worth watching? I've seen the 1953 adaptation and it's great.

Roy Scheider's best performance bar none. That movie is so loving good I stole the poster. Great direction and an amazing loving score.

edit: Goddamn I've had this poster for almost 40 years!!!???

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 23, 2016

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I prefer Sorcerer to Wages of Fear, but that's not a slight against WoF. Sorcerer is a tremendous film and absolutely worth seeking out. It got a great bluray release a couple of years ago.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sorcerer is even better, believe it or not.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

Noriyoshi Ohrai's cheating and the actual movie does not live up to these posters, but gently caress are they just awesome on their own.

Ohrai was a fantastic artist. His Heisei Godzilla posters Are some of my favorites: https://www.rowsdowr.com/2013/03/10/face-meltingly-awesome-godzilla-paintings-by-noriyoshi-ohrai/

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

I wonder if there was a story written by some Greek poet about sentient hieroglyphs.

These are perfect and it's cool Rosario is a vigilante after her role on Daredevil, but is Hamill really done with Joker work like he said? :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not, but he doesn't do Joker in everything. About a half dozen different people have done the Joker's voice for projects.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also a much better Harley design than Suicide Squad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

These are perfect and it's cool Rosario is a vigilante after her role on Daredevil, but is Hamill really done with Joker work like he said? :(

He mostly only does the voice in stuff Kevin Conroy plays Batman.

Though I think he did The Joker for an older Lego Batman DTV thing that had Adam West as Batman

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Also a much better Harley design than Suicide Squad.

It's the same design, just with roller skates.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's got a stronger color scheme, though. Feels more like the traditional design while still having the punk aspects of more modern designs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I think Hamill and Conroy are doing the new Cartoon Network Justice League show now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rosario Dawson's got a great voice

Has she done VO for animation before?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

Rosario Dawson's got a great voice

Has she done VO for animation before?

She's voiced Wonder Woman in the past, and does video game work every now and then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vagabundo posted:

She's voiced Wonder Woman in the past, and does video game work every now and then.

And in the present, sadly it's the terrible new DC DTV BS, not the fun old DC DTV.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sorcerer is an amazing film.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Roy Scheider's best performance bar none. That movie is so loving good I stole the poster. Great direction and an amazing loving score.

edit: Goddamn I've had this poster for almost 40 years!!!???

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I prefer Sorcerer to Wages of Fear, but that's not a slight against WoF. Sorcerer is a tremendous film and absolutely worth seeking out. It got a great bluray release a couple of years ago.

DeimosRising posted:

Sorcerer is even better, believe it or not.

drat, I'm going to have to see Sorcerer then. Thanks.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

drat, I'm going to have to see Sorcerer then. Thanks.
You like doom, right? if so, you'll probably want to pick up the score, too.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I am more intrigued than ever.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Friedkin loves that score https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/william-friedkin-edgar-froese-interview

Wish I'd been at that concert.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
At the time the movie got a lot of bad reviews because it was a remake of a classic, but there were some advocates. I first heard about it because Harlan Ellison praises it to heaven in Harlan Ellison's Watching.

The score apparently was well received enough that it helped Tangerine Dream get other movie gigs, as well as set a precedent for scores by musical groups (Friedkin would go on to have Wang Chung do the soundtrack for To Live and Die in L.A.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Never seen sorcerer but that poster makes me assume it's about a demonic truck that pursues a guy through the jungle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oldpainless posted:

Never seen sorcerer but that poster makes me assume it's about a demonic truck that pursues a guy through the jungle.

Not quite. If I told you the truck was loaded with nitroglycerin it might make you think about it, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Wages of Fear is amazing, but Sorcerer is a better movie by far.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sorcerer's great. All the cutthroats on the convoy crew in that movie are loving great, and I love the movie opens with just a snippet of each of their lives before they end up in the jungle.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The town in Wages of Fear looks like the quaintest place.

The town in Sorcerer looks like purgatory.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The town in Wages of Fear looks like the quaintest place.

The town in Sorcerer looks like purgatory.

:agreed:

There's flirty naked women in Wages Of Fear's Las Piedras. The only woman in Sorcerer's Porvenir is an elderly cleaning lady.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Wages of Fear is this really cynical post-noir thriller with a bleached, bone-dry aesthetic, while Sorcerer is a dark psuedo-mystical journey through Hell. The former is more faithful to the novel (which is worth reading if you know French or if you can find a copy in English.)

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tom Hardy and his dad make a BBC miniseries with the help of Ridley Scott.

And I just can't stop myself from thinking that it's Tonto in a top hat.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

And More posted:

Tom Hardy and his dad make a BBC miniseries with the help of Ridley Scott.

And I just can't stop myself from thinking that it's Tonto in a top hat.

And Steven Knight who directed Hardy in both Locke and Peaky Blinders.

Taboo looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1fiijqrKuc

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Hardy is in Peaky Blinders? That might be the thing that finally pushes me to watch that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The plot somewhat reminds me of Jumanji, and I can kind of see it in the box. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a music box?