Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The TV movie was made in America you fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sylvester McCoy seems alright so far through one story. The production values and overall feel of the show feel as if they reverted to the late Baker / early Davison eras.

But I unironcially wish that McCoy's Doctor had stuck with the Napoleon getup.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MrL_JaKiri posted:

what

e. I googled it out and I could get behind Kyle MacLachlan.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Sylvester McCoy seems alright so far through one story.

The only way is up from Time and the Rani

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only way is up from Time and the Rani

And yet somehow it's still better than the previous Doctor's first story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CommonShore posted:

what

e. I googled it out and I could get behind Kyle MacLachlan.

If it's aiming for moderate plausibility, I don't think Nicolas Cage as the Ninth Doctor is necessarily realistic. Michael Chiklis would be a more likely choice.

Maybe somebody like Simon Baker as the Tenth Doctor, I don't know. Trying to think of guys who do TV more than movies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Action Jacktion posted:

And yet somehow it's still better than the previous Doctor's first story.

That's unfair because Twin Dilemma is probably the worst story Who has ever aired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fil5000 posted:

That's unfair because Twin Dilemma is probably the worst story Who has ever aired.

I WARNED YOU

I WARNED ALL OF YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Merry Christmas, everyone!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The correct way to post that is "Happy christmas to all of you at home"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Is that Mrs Baddeley's Christmas pudding? It wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Fil5000 posted:

Worse than Timelash?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New Who tomorrow! :neckbeard:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shiftypenguin posted:

Worse than Timelash?

Timelash is fun camp at least

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched both of them recently, and I barely could pay attention to The Twin Dilemma. Timelash was at least a bit engaging and had a few moments. It may be not so good, but it wasn't tedious.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I really like The Natural History of Fear too (and Scherzo, of course). Kromon is definitely one of the top 10 worst Big Finish stories, though, and it's good some stiff competition.

As far as the Divergent Universe goes, I thought The Twilight Kingdom was worse than Creed of the Kromon, to be honest.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shiftypenguin posted:

Worse than Timelash?

Timelash feels like it's over quicker, has better special effects and doesn't feature the Doctor first assaulting his companion and then deciding to doom her to perpetual isolation on a lovely asteroid BECAUSE he assaulted her.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See I think the attempted arc of the Doctor's instability is the one interesting thing in the story- the rest is just so generic.

That said I think The Dominators is worse. They cut an entire episode from that one and it's still too long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shiftypenguin posted:

Worse than Timelash?

CONSEQUENCES!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

That said I think The Dominators is worse. They cut an entire episode from that one and it's still too long.

You know what the Doctor can't stand? Pacifism

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh, that's timely. For a while now I've made Christmas Eve into Bad Doctor Who Night. 2014 was when I watched the copy of Warriors Of The Deep I got, and 2015 was when someone hurled The Twin Dilemma at me so I watched that on Christmas Eve as well.

I've planned The Dominators for tonight because it's the one universally bad episode I've yet to witness. Will I need the Christmas liquor?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Timelash is fun camp at least

And it has Paul Darrow in it :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

And it has Paul Darrow in it :colbert:

The two are related

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

FreezingInferno posted:

Oh, that's timely. For a while now I've made Christmas Eve into Bad Doctor Who Night. 2014 was when I watched the copy of Warriors Of The Deep I got, and 2015 was when someone hurled The Twin Dilemma at me so I watched that on Christmas Eve as well.

I've planned The Dominators for tonight because it's the one universally bad episode I've yet to witness. Will I need the Christmas liquor?

Fortunately when it comes to Doctor Who dvds, the worse the story is the better the audio commentary tends to be

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gordon Shumway posted:

As far as the Divergent Universe goes, I thought The Twilight Kingdom was worse than Creed of the Kromon, to be honest.

At least Twilight Kingdom I can understand the intended purpose, which is Lovecraftian horror. Kromon, on the other hand IS a Lovecraftian Horror, in that, should you think too much about its intended purpose, it will destroy your mind.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

After The War posted:

At least Twilight Kingdom I can understand the intended purpose, which is Lovecraftian horror. Kromon, on the other hand IS a Lovecraftian Horror, in that, should you think too much about its intended purpose, it will destroy your mind.

Is Twilight Kingdom the one with the weird cave thing?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreezingInferno posted:

Is Twilight Kingdom the one with the weird cave thing?

Yes.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I almost corrected you to Lurkers at Sunlights Edge, but they both fit those two criteria.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fxBbt-gCNs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Every one of these starts with "Gene Wilder would have been interesting playing the Doctor, but is American???" and then takes off from there, with varying degrees of success.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop: xmas special!!!

Anyone have a list of broadcast platforms? Will it have immediate online availability (in Canada)?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gordon Shumway posted:

Twilight Kingdom doesn't have the villains try to turn Charley into their brood queen, so I feel like it's better than 99.99% of Doctor Who just on principle.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hot take; all the revival Christmas specials have been terrible and this one will be no different. A Christmas Carol is the most watchable, but it's still pretty bad and the flying sharks make me want to roll my eyes clear through the back of my head.

I find it sort of amazing that Doctor Who hasn't really done superheroes before. Between the show, the books, the audios, the comics, the little cartoons on the back of candy wrappers, and the mysterious runes tattooed on Ian Levine's chest, they've done pretty much every other genre known to man. And it's not like human beings with special powers and silly clothes are foreign to Doctor Who.

Mind Loving Owl fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 25, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I find it sort of amazing that Doctor Who hasn't really done superheroes before. Between the show, the books, the audios, the comics, the little cartoons on the back of candy wrappers, and the mysterious runes tattooed on Ian Levine's chest, they've done pretty much every other genre known to man. And it's not like human beings with special powers and silly clothes are foreign to Doctor Who.

The Karkus looks down on this post

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also the Doctor is a superhero, every episode is a superhero story

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh sure, forget the obvious.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Get rekt son

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Karkus looks down on this post

I still hope Gotham ends with Alfred watching Batman handle the controls of a space rocket.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also the Doctor is a superhero, every episode is a superhero story

Oddly enough, half an hour ago I just listened to someone's thoughts on NuWho presenting the Doctor more as a superhero than a adventurer scientist or whatever you want to call that archetype.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There are very few stories in the original run that you couldn't replace the Doctor with some degree of a Sherlock Holmes/Alan Quartermain mashup and still have it function perfectly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There are very few stories in the original run that you couldn't replace the Doctor with some degree of a Sherlock Holmes/Alan Quartermain mashup and still have it function perfectly well

I think the shift started with McCoy myself. Possibly with Colin, but McCoy was when they started doing the Doctor-as-Super-Batman thing well.

• Locked thread