Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Willsun posted:

If a Pokemon is full on one EV and you check it by pressing Y in its summary, it should sparkle by the words of whatever stat is full.

Also if anyone remembers or can help, I'm still playing kinda slowly and I'm right before the Elite Four challenge, but there is absolutely nothing around for me to level up efficiently on. I spoiled myself on the Pokemon I'll be fighting and their levels, which is all around mid to high 50s, so I want my Pokemon to be around level 60, but all wild Pokemon everywhere is absolute garbage and only low level 40s at best to grind on. Did I miss a good area to grind? That snow cave sucks rear end and I can't access all the new areas until I'm a champion, and it seems like the best thing I can do is stay on Poni Island areas and fight level 43 Pelippers and Granbulls.

I mean if this is the design to force you to be underleveled while fighting the Elite Four, I just want to know.

Get into the mid to high 50s, and play it smart with each Pokemon you bring out to respond to what they bring out, and just be prepared to use those max revives, full restores, and max potions you've been hoarding all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

leftist heap posted:

So is the Castform bonanza over? Trying to get an extra Solgaleo for one now and no bites overnight. Are people having better luck with anything else?

Also sometime on the EV screen one is sparkling but the meter isn't actually full, what does that mean?

still works just fine for me

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I haven't had much luck with direct castform-for-legendary trades in the past, but I've had a lot of luck by simply chaining trades like castform -> version exclusive UB -> cosmog -> legendary.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
When a Pokémon can't gain any more EVs at all the background of the hexchart also changes color I forget if blue background or orange background is full.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Pokemon you find with Island Scan, can they call in SOS Pokemon? Basically asking can you get the HA of Island Scan Pokemon like Totodile?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Pokemon you find with Island Scan, can they call in SOS Pokemon? Basically asking can you get the HA of Island Scan Pokemon like Totodile?

You cannot.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Is EV training via PokePelago the best way to do it by far? It's literally impossible to gently caress up, you just enter the amount of EVs you want and let them go, it isn't like they will keep training if you forget to stop them or anything, and you don't have to keep track of anything yourself. Plus you can do batches of up to 18 at a time. As far as I can tell, literally the only downside is how long it takes, 64 hours without beans, 32 hours with beans, but unless you need a trained mon for a tournament that day or something is seems like theres no reason to use vitamins or SOS battle training at all. Am I missing something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

LanceKing2200 posted:

Is EV training via PokePelago the best way to do it by far? It's literally impossible to gently caress up, you just enter the amount of EVs you want and let them go, it isn't like they will keep training if you forget to stop them or anything, and you don't have to keep track of anything yourself. Plus you can do batches of up to 18 at a time. As far as I can tell, literally the only downside is how long it takes, 64 hours without beans, 32 hours with beans, but unless you need a trained mon for a tournament that day or something is seems like theres no reason to use vitamins or SOS battle training at all. Am I missing something?

With Pokerus and the respective Power item you get 36 EV's per SOS pokemon killed. It takes 7 SOS called pokemon to get to max EV's in one stat. It takes about 20 minutes to EV train a pokemon if you know where to find pokemon with the right yields and that's taking into account running around in the grass trying to find the right pokemon.

The only thing Pelego has going for it is that you don't have to actively do anything in it to train, but the time trade off is not worth it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

With Pokerus and the respective Power item you get 36 EV's per SOS pokemon killed. It takes 7 SOS called pokemon to get to max EV's in one stat. It takes about 20 minutes to EV train a pokemon if you know where to find pokemon with the right yields and that's taking into account running around in the grass trying to find the right pokemon.

The only thing Pelego has going for it is that you don't have to actively do anything in it to train, but the time trade off is not worth it.

It absolutely is. You set it up, you go the gently caress to sleep, or do literally anything you want.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

greatn posted:

It absolutely is. You set it up, you go the gently caress to sleep, or do literally anything you want.

Or I take 15 mins to EV train and already move on to the next project/actually using the pokemon to play the game. Like it's fine to do while asleep but unless I'm mistaken you can only set up a pokemon to do one type of training so after you wake up you still have to set up sessions for the other stats you want. It's just kind of inefficient except if you have no intention of using or leveling that pokemon for days from when you start.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It took me an insanely long time because I've been so busy but it's nice to be crowned Champion on Christmas Eve.

Rho Aias the Decidueye was my rock during Melemele and Akala. He took a step back for the others to get training the rest of the way but he got the killing blow.
Ape Escape the Oranguru enjoyed using the blow dryer. Or maybe I did.
Avalon the Comfey was the MVP. She had surprising Sp Atk, could tank hits, and heal herself. So underrated.
Finn Prawns the Golisopod replaced my Marachroid the Araquanid and he was a bruiser. Emergency Exit activation at the worst time was our inside joke.
Dragghér the Drampa joined late in the game but saved my rear end against Kahili.
Gaebolg the Dhelmise took forever to find and capture but was well worth it.

featuring: Narcoala the Komala / Pry the Crabominable / Argalia the Kommo-o.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I guess it depends on what you time investment is. If you can only play for like, an hour a day then Pelago is a god-send. That's the situation I'm in, especially since grinding BP for the power times takes a WHILE.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

It must be shiny day on wonder trade. I'm dumping the seven pages of non-6IV reject Riolu I've bred over the past week and I've gotten three shinies: a shiny honedge, a shiny torracat, and a 6 IV shiny alolan ninetails w/timid and snow warning. :confused:

I feel like the last one is probably not legit, but hey it saves me from breeding a ninetails at least.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It must be shiny day on wonder trade. I'm dumping the seven pages of non-6IV reject Riolu I've bred over the past week and I've gotten three shinies: a shiny honedge, a shiny torracat, and a 6 IV shiny alolan ninetails w/timid and snow warning. :confused:

I feel like the last one is probably not legit, but hey it saves me from breeding a ninetails at least.

time to wonder trade my many minior friends

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oh come on, nobody likes Jace. Not even as a joke.

I like three of Jace's cards if that counts

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

http://babylonian.tumblr.com/post/154906682049/my-five-most-prized-possessions

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Interesting, last generation someone told me the generational marks were also that, but i'm not entirely surpised to hear that was bogus, i knew this little fucker was a shifty shapeshifter.

still pretty happy to have it fall in my lap though you know?

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 24, 2016

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

brainSnakes posted:

I'm actually curious how cheat proof the whole authenticity mark on new pokemon are. That little plus sign or whatever.

My guess is not very cheat proof, based on the totally legit perfect ditto i got randomly wonder traded out of nowhere.

The plus sign isn't a mark of authenticity or whatever, it just means the pokemon was born in Alola.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

brainSnakes posted:

I'm actually curious how cheat proof the whole authenticity mark on new pokemon are. That little plus sign or whatever.

My guess is not very cheat proof, based on the totally legit perfect ditto i got randomly wonder traded out of nowhere.

They have ways to check legality for official tournaments but nothing outside of that afaik

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
YO SHINY COMFEY!!!

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
good to know! i forgot where i heard the authenticity thing last gen, but i knew this shifty shapeshifting shapeshifter was a sketchy dude.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Dienes posted:

Holy poo poo, I just naturally picked up Pokerus. Happy Christmas Eve to me.

Edit: Oh gently caress, I must've caught it last night. Its cured now, according to the icon, despite the pokemon center telling me it was infected this morning. gently caress Christmas.

hey i have been breeding a bunch of outstanding potential vulpixes with snow warning, and then gave them all pokerus. You want one?

Anyone want one, for that matter? 4871-8062-7071

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I like three of Jace's cards if that counts

Well yeah mechanically he's great and the did that because he's the Hero protagonist that is the solution to every problem in the multiverse and isn't he so cool and dreamy and not a boring at all design?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Where the hell do I get a destiny knot? I've gotten incredibly good IV pokemon from WT and i'd like to spread the love

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

Where the hell do I get a destiny knot? I've gotten incredibly good IV pokemon from WT and i'd like to spread the love

48 BP from the Battle Royal shop (you can grind at the Battle Tree since it's all the same BP) or a party of 5 Pick Up Pokemon and good RNG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

vOv posted:

48 BP from the Battle Royal shop (you can grind at the Battle Tree since it's all the same BP) or a party of 5 Pick Up Pokemon and good RNG.

I got two Destiny Knots in 15 minutes with a quartet of Meowth that weren't even level 10 yet. Something tells me I ain't gonna repeat that one.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

vOv posted:

oh god, the battle tree..well, gently caress it, i got nothing better to do!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

oh god, the battle tree..well, gently caress it, i got nothing better to do!

Trust me, a party of pickup pokemon will go much faster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Trust me, a party of pickup pokemon will go much faster.

If you're bad at the battle tree/super lucky. I had a party of 5 Pickup meowths and spent hours and got everything BUT a destiny knot. A SD Mimikyu, even off nature and not well EV trained can handle normal Battle Tree Singles by just setting up and sweeping.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

If you're bad at the battle tree/super lucky. I had a party of 5 Pickup meowths and spent hours and got everything BUT a destiny knot. A SD Mimikyu, even off nature and not well EV trained can handle normal Battle Tree Singles by just setting up and sweeping.

Z-splash and shadow claw/play rough :kheldragar:

My singles tree team is z-primarina/mimikyu/life orb kartana

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
If you can take it I suggest getting the BP, the Pickup method is soul destroyingly boring and generally takes a lot longer. At least you can spice up the BP by switching up your team.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How likely are you to find a shiny in the wild anyway? Fabion the shiny Dugtrio is really nice and all, but I wanna know how bad I should feel if I need to swap them out at some point.

I really liked generation VI for the most part, but man the badge designs sucked.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The trick is to combine your Pickup grind with items you can steal. Steal Leftovers from Munchlax (100%, so use SOS to get multiple in one encounter), Metal Coats from Magnemites (let a Scyther hold it and put it on the GTS for whatever you want) or maybe even one of those mythical Razor Claws on Jangmo-o (definitely SOS chain that one).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ariong posted:

How likely are you to find a shiny in the wild anyway? Fabion the shiny Dugtrio is really nice and all, but I wanna know how bad I should feel if I need to swap them out at some point.

I really liked generation VI for the most part, but man the badge designs sucked.

It's unlikely you'll find more than one during the normal course of play. I actually only found my first wild shiny in this generation, and I've been playing this series for way too long. Use whatever you want, but sun and moon are balanced in such a way that practically any Pokémon is viable for the endgame, and Dugtrio is pretty powerful.

Edit: you can raise the chances of a shiny in the wild with SOS battles, but that takes a lot of deliberate effort and is also kind of a pain in the rear end.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i fought a gengar in the battle tree with a focus sash and hypnosis/nightmare/dream eater/shadow ball

next trainer had the same exact gengar. im so mad.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

spit on my clit posted:

i fought a gengar in the battle tree with a focus sash and hypnosis/nightmare/dream eater/shadow ball

next trainer had the same exact gengar. im so mad.

Oh man, I've fought that Gengar. He wiped my team because his hypnosis never missed, he slapped a nightmare on me every time, and I got a 3+ turn sleep each time.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Theta Zero posted:

Oh man, I've fought that Gengar. He wiped my team because his hypnosis never missed, he slapped a nightmare on me every time, and I got a 3+ turn sleep each time.

hahaha yeah the hypnosis never loving misses!! primarina got lucky and woke up to deliver my last resort Z move and it was barely enough to win.

the second time was even more retarded!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gently caress that gengar

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mierenneuker posted:

The trick is to combine your Pickup grind with items you can steal. Steal Leftovers from Munchlax (100%, so use SOS to get multiple in one encounter), Metal Coats from Magnemites (let a Scyther hold it and put it on the GTS for whatever you want) or maybe even one of those mythical Razor Claws on Jangmo-o (definitely SOS chain that one).

I've been farming razor claws off jangmos to make Weaviles for the GTS since lotta people don't want to bother and it's pretty easy. Not related to the conversation, just something else to do if no one's biting your castforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I made a team of 6 Lurantis because Poke Pelago is free effortless EV training, but sadly I still can only use them all in Link Battles.

I can only imagine a feeling of fear and unease clouds my foes as the team preview flashes 6 perfectly pink killers.