Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

Making my way through Chapter 13, just killed the daemonized Emperor.

It's badly designed, but much more bearable when you know it's coming. I grinded my level sky-high so none of the enemies are more than a brief nuisance and I'd braced myself for the sudden tedious gameplay change so I could just preoccupy myself with finding goodies in the maze.

Also, did people really interpret the Emperor's dying words to imply he'd be resurrected somehow? It's obvious he was just muttering his ruined ambitions in his final delirious moments before death.

I think it's just people trying to wrap their heads around the fact that the emperor had far more scenes and characterization in the movie than in the game. Not to mention Ravus and (to some extent) Luna. Or king Regis. That one smarts the most since I actually liked Regis in the movie. Being voiced by Sean Bean didn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

man nurse posted:

Alright, that's all the hunts completed. Two more menace dungeons and I'll have basically done everything. Game has me logged at 150 hours so far.

I don't think I've ever played a Final Fantasy to excess like this before. If this game's story were better it'd easily be one of the best of the series. Still good as hell as it stands.

Story aside and and the disjointed last chapters, the only problem I have is that a game focusing on open world should have little stories written in the sidequests. (I heard Witcher 3 does this well, never played it. Might have to though?)

Far too often the NPCs just go "hey look I got job for you kthxbai". The sidequests Takka and Cindy give you are probably the closest to actual storytelling. I don't mind fetch quests if they serve as an excuse to learn about the world or its characters

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

WaltherFeng posted:

Story aside and and the disjointed last chapters, the only problem I have is that a game focusing on open world should have little stories written in the sidequests. (I heard Witcher 3 does this well, never played it. Might have to though?)

Far too often the NPCs just go "hey look I got job for you kthxbai". The sidequests Takka and Cindy give you are probably the closest to actual storytelling. I don't mind fetch quests if they serve as an excuse to learn about the world or its characters

Yeah Witcher 3 has phenomenal writing and every quest is varied. I can't recommend that game highly enough, especially if you're enjoying this.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's more like "I have a job that is actually my chosen profession, but I don't know how to do it please god do it for me"

A Farmer, Standing In A Stall In A Market: "Please someone! Help ! I found this stall and all I need is for someone to drive to a farm, harvest some vegetables, and bring them back to the stall, and I'll take it from there!"

Small Business Man Who Bought A Building And A Stove And Some Knives And poo poo: "I've got just about everything I need.. but how do I get food? Oh thank god, a customer! Please sir, do you have food? Can you get food, and bring it here? If you bring the food I will sell it to you!"

Here's some freelance quest design, free of charge for use in some future DLC maybe:

Fireman: "Hey, can you do me a favor? Can you get in the big loud red truck, and drive to this address, and spray the water at the building? I'll be right here just let me know when it's done. God bless!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't the thing with most NPCs that they can do their job normally but a giant fire-breathing ape or something happens to have wandered onto their land?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Maybe you're thinking of the quest where the hunter was sent to fight some monsters, and your job is to find the hunter who is standing around at a gas station and do the job for him

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Is it just me or is it stupidly easy to get lost in Altissia.

It's not even that I can't find the places I want to go, it's that I try to go there and it turns out I can't go that way, I have to take some arbitrarily long route around it involving multiple sets of stairs and bridges

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I finished the game today. I.... liked the story? I mean it was presented pretty badly, and there are a bunch of gaps in it. I guess what I mean is, I like the story but the way it is told can be poor at times. The characters were great, the ending sequence was really well done, and I honestly didn't really have that much of a problem with Chapter 13 except for bit being a bit too long.

So in order to do postgame stuff, I load up the save created after beating the game and call umbra?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't the thing with most NPCs that they can do their job normally but a giant fire-breathing ape or something happens to have wandered onto their land?

Not to say these quests are actually good, but yeah, most of the quests are "I wanted to do my job but hell wolves are camping in my farm/Wrecked my delivery truck and killed the driver/hanging around wild spices and veggies I use." It turns out that in an urban fantasy world it's hard to get things done when you can't pull night work in rural areas due to literal demons from hell crawling out of the ground.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The GIG posted:

Not to say these quests are actually good, but yeah, most of the quests are "I wanted to do my job but hell wolves are camping in my farm/Wrecked my delivery truck and killed the driver/hanging around wild spices and veggies I use." It turns out that in an urban fantasy world it's hard to get things done when you can't pull night work in rural areas due to literal demons from hell crawling out of the ground.

The only one that's kinda lazy is the hunter who has you disarm a bunch of bear traps on a delivery route that he was hired to handle.

I'd complain about the first Holly one (checking the steam vents), but that's more of you doing a solid for Holly after she fixed the boat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

The only one that's kinda lazy is the hunter who has you disarm a bunch of bear traps on a delivery route that he was hired to handle.

And then you get jumped by a Coeurl. Motherfucker knew what he was asking.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm not going to lie that NG+ is more tedious than fun the second time around because you have the royal arms but still have to go do the dungeons anyway to advance the main story.

It's at least hilariously short and I managed to get to chapter six in under four hours skipping cutscenes while probably stalling in a couple places.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Oxxidation posted:

The bear trap quest was bullshit more because the traps are really well hidden and well off the road. I don't get why the dude was wandering that far off the road. I saved upon seeing the coeurls and when I died they despawn on reload.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This crestholm channel dungeon is terrible and i hate this game now.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Oxxidation posted:

I managed to survive that encounter but Cuerls sure are dicks.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
It can't be a games thread until some game superman swings in now and announces he's amazing and has never had trouble with Coeurls and we just suck.

Granted I've only ever fought them in packs. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I managed to survive that encounter but Cuerls sure are dicks.

Their instant-death attack is either status-based or Lightning-based, I don't know which, but it does mean that you can eat some kind of food to nullify it. That's only really helpful for the Hunt, though.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Actually all I was going to say was that I fought massive centipedes for the side quest in question unless there's another bear trap quest. I still have yet to see a Couerl.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ugato posted:

Actually all I was going to say was that I fought massive centipedes for the side quest in question unless there's another bear trap quest. I still have yet to see a Couerl.

K. Someone just a page or two ago started in with the "heh coeurl are easy" crap.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Renoistic posted:

I think it's just people trying to wrap their heads around the fact that the emperor had far more scenes and characterization in the movie than in the game. Not to mention Ravus and (to some extent) Luna. Or king Regis. That one smarts the most since I actually liked Regis in the movie. Being voiced by Sean Bean didn't hurt either.
I will forever be bothered by this cutscene at the end of Chapter 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PMDFu9d83Y&feature=youtu.be&t=53m08s
Mainly because you never loving see half these people ever again after this point. I'm curious if Ravus's storyline modifications will include actual cutscenes or if it'll just be notes written down somewhere. If cutscenes, then I hope they include the folks in this video.

Hey this reminds me of something I should have asked by now.
The 6 gods are supposed to be the summons, right? Titan, Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, Bahamut, and Ifrit. So what are Carbuncle and Adamantoise, if not gods or summons?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 24, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Mainly because you never loving see half these people ever again after this point. I'm curious if Ravus's storyline modifications will include actual cutscenes or if it'll just be notes written down somewhere. If cutscenes, then I hope they include the folks in this video.

The 6 gods are supposed to be the summons, right? Titan, Ramuh, Leviathan, Shiva, Bahamut, and Ifrit. So what are Carbuncle and Adamantoise, if not gods or summons?

Carbuncle's a spirit guide, or something. Adamantoise is an ordinary monster, just a really, really big and sleepy one.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap posted:

That was my favorite scene when I first saw it because I saw four bad dudes and the emperor and immediately assumed each of them would be a boss fight, which is cool because I really like it when a game kind of introduces its bosses to you so you can anticipate facing them later, it's pretty basic in RPGs and I was glad to see that something that fundamental had returned to FFXV after how faceless and vague the antagonists in 13 were (and how you get cockblocked on boss fights with most of the ones you actually meet!).

Once I beat the game I was deeply confused, because I didn't remember having those boss fights I expected. I discovered later that apparently I killed most of those dudes in mecha battles, without ever realizing who I was fighting.

A swing and a miss.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That was my favorite scene when I first saw it because I saw four bad dudes and the emperor and immediately assumed each of them would be a boss fight, which is cool because I really like it when a game kind of introduces its bosses to you so you can anticipate facing them later, it's pretty basic in RPGs and I was glad to see that something that fundamental had returned to FFXV after how faceless and vague the antagonists in 13 were (and how you get cockblocked on boss fights with most of the ones you actually meet!).

So hey, XII Judges, remember those?

Except that the Judges were actually relevant to the story.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Once I beat the game I was deeply confused, because I didn't remember having those boss fights I expected. I discovered later that apparently I killed most of those dudes in mecha battles, without ever realizing who I was fighting.

A swing and a miss.
Same, except as far as I know, neither of the 2 mecha dudes are in that cutscene. One of them you kill at the end of Chapter 2 (Loqi) only to have him return in the double-mecha battle in the last mobile base for no good reason at all. The other is the general you capture, who escapes off screen, only to return in the double-mecha battle. Neither have much characterization at all despite acting like they should have had some. It's just MGS5 all over again with this fuckin' game. You want to care, but you can't because the actual gameplay is so good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if somethings wrong with me when I think World of Final Fantasy was a better game then 15 in reflection.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah that's pretty bad. I think the other parts of the story that really get to me are the emperor turning into a demon and the revelation that Prompto is an MT. Especially the latter one, that scene could have been removed and nothing would change because it never comes up again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah that's pretty bad. I think the other parts of the story that really get to me are the emperor turning into a demon and the revelation that Prompto is an MT. Especially the latter one, that scene could have been removed and nothing would change because it never comes up again.

The latter is definitely going to be DLC bait and I look forward to SE's struggle to have it make sense.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I did this + the mother & child food (increases drop rate). Then I went to that bounty and killed everything but 1 duplicorn, ran away, saved, then killed it and reloaded if it didn't drop. Took 20 minutes tops.

Also you could have just done wait mode + great sword and just warped to the horns on each duplicorn and break them off and if none dropped just reload the save.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It's strange because the latter really didn't bother me at all. It gave at least some context to why you never see his family in Brotherhood and confirms he's pretty much an orphan. The big DLC-hook question is how exactly did he even end up in Insomnia and how good must Insomnian social security be for him to have his own place at 10 yo

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Also thought that Legendary Crownsguard Cor "The Immortal" Leonis, Personal Guard of The Royal Lucian Family would play a bigger role than showing up, telling the 20 year old king "naw, you good" and loving off to hang out at the docks with Cid or something?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
The way everyone reacts to Prompto after they find out he's a MT is like finding out your friend is Mormon. "oh...well, we still like you, don't worry man." and that's it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grem posted:

The way everyone reacts to Prompto after they find out he's a MT is like finding out your friend is Mormon. "oh...well, we still like you, don't worry man." and that's it.

It definitely helped explain why he is so poo poo at combat :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the description for the Big Blaze Bahamut fishing lure says it "always comes back" or something, does that mean you don't lose it if the line breaks?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Cor is the Marshall of the Crownsguard, which is like the King's personal bodyguard unit

As opposed to the Kingsglaive which is uhh idk the King's personal special forces unit or some poo poo. idgi

(this isn't an answer to anybody's question, more just me being confused about who the gently caress all these people are exactly)

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Cor doesn't do anything in the game mostly because there's no room in the car for two Gladios

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Oxxidation posted:

Carbuncle's a spirit guide, or something. Adamantoise is an ordinary monster, just a really, really big and sleepy one.

To expand on the first point: "Carbuncle" doesn't really exist. When Noctis is injured and recovering in one of the Brotherhood episodes he has a aquamarine figure that looks like a Carbuncle on his pillow. In the Platinum demo(? The one with kid Noct) you see the aquamarine figure personified and get to name it. The default name is Carbuncle, but it's an imaginary friend and not something that exists in the world in any other way.

And Cor doesn't help you more because he knows how important the core friendship is for the traveling companions. When he's with you he's kind of a chaperone, and that's not what you need. No 'tis needs to do the right things for the right reasons, not because Uncle Cor is watching over his shoulder. Regis didn't bring his dad's bodyguard with him on his journey.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

LawfulWaffle posted:

To expand on the first point: "Carbuncle" doesn't really exist. When Noctis is injured and recovering in one of the Brotherhood episodes he has a aquamarine figure that looks like a Carbuncle on his pillow. In the Platinum demo(? The one with kid Noct) you see the aquamarine figure personified and get to name it. The default name is Carbuncle, but it's an imaginary friend and not something that exists in the world in any other way.

Carbuncle showed up in one of Prompto's photos, of I think Chapter 10 or possibly late in Chapter 9. I don't meant this to be a counterpoint or anything, just, like... more info.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Carbuncle also revives you whenever you're dying on easy mode (with some exceptions).

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This big dumb incomplete videogame is going to end up being my first platinum trophy, which is one thing that other noted best incomplete game ever, Metal Gear Solid V, will never get me to do. Just need to make the effort to Fish up to level 10.

I really appreciate that you don't HAVE to do everything in the game for trophies. After over 80 hours on my current save, I'm feeling rather burnt out on the grind to 99/hunts hunts hunts. Still a rad Final Fantasy if it got me putting in that much time at all. I'm actually pretty hopeful for a future game in the series now if they can make something like this still be as entertaining as it was from the start to the end.

Didn't really have much issue with Chapter 13, which I was kinda dreading after so many folks here hated on it. It's far from well designed, but I was so ridiculously powerful by the time I got there (level 64ish?) that fights didn't last very long once I got the sword, and before that I somehow lucked into going where I needed to go right away every time. I was really trying to push on to the end, and stopped caring if I missed an item or dozen, which I think helped keep a pretty brisk pace throughout the chapter.

It's been said before by many others, but the ending really elevated the whole experience for me. I won't mind coming back to the game for a full nu-game plus some months down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

Cor doesn't do anything in the game mostly because there's no room in the car for two Gladios

I would trade Gladio for Cor in a heartbeat.

• Locked thread