Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

We like to joke around here at the School Of Visual Arts, but there's one thing that's not a joke: kerning.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

goddamnedtwisto posted:

seriously the funniest bit of any of the discworld books imo.

You can't give her that!' she screamed. 'It's not safe!'
IT'S A SWORD, said the Hogfather. THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.
'She's a child!' shouted Crumley.
IT'S EDUCATIONAL.
'What if she cuts herself?'
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Anaconda Rifle posted:

We like to joke around here at the School Of Visual Arts, but there's one thing that's not a joke: kerning.

kerning in the name of
and now you do what they told ya now you're under control

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* MERRY CHRISTMAS*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG*
*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* MERRY CHRISTMAS *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG*

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sophian posted:

This is just more of the same poo poo we are seeing out of Washington insiders: style over content, form over function, "optics" over information. The Vietnam war destroyed millions of lives and PRISM (or something like it) is likely complete and ready for use by Trump to oppress hundreds of millions. The only "proper" and "acceptable" action to take is to drag out those responsible and shoot them in the street. Go cry some more about it, Ellsburg.

Keep in mind that the capacity of the National Security Agency or other surveillance tools are specifically prohibited from being applied to U.S. citizens or U.S. persons without specific evidence of links to terrorist activity or other foreign-related activity.

In terms of domestic surveillance of any sort, it's probably harder to surveil or use these tools with a smartphone than it was getting a wiretap for a land phone. And both would be illegal without probable cause. So you know, I think this whole story line that somehow Big Brother has massively expanded and now that a new president is in place it's this loaded gun ready to be used on domestic dissent is just not accurate. It doesn't match up with how these things are organized.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://twitter.com/callawaythings/status/812716182159626240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

wtf is the cow forces?

friction

y'know, cause they're always going µ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
xpostin

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

rejected texan write-in votes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vOv posted:

friction

y'know, cause they're always going µ

yessssssss

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

spankmeister posted:

How is one gas more complex than another? It's just density

Figuring out friction or pressure or temperature or radiation or whatever at a given point on or near a body in a hypersonic flow requires getting into quantum physics and complex problems of probability. It's really amazing. You have to factor in things like electron spin and the likelihood that X number of Y ions will touch the body, free electrons recombining in the flow, all kinds of poo poo. It's fascinating. It takes immense computing power.

I'm not an expert, but I had the privilege of attending a lecture series on it.

E: today's models account for up to eleven "species" of gas in the flow. All the possible ions and combos of gasses that occur in significant amounts in the upper atmosphere. N, O, N2, O2, NO, N+, O+, N2+, etc

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2016

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

These are the weirdest condoms I've ever seen.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

These are the weirdest condoms I've ever seen.

STDs: don't wanna catch 'em all!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

if nothing else that editing :eyepop:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

enjoy a pleasant anniversary of the uterine expulsion of the christ lord, yospos.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

axolotl farmer posted:

*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* MERRY CHRISTMAS*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG*
*GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* MERRY CHRISTMAS *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG* *GLANG*

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:rip: Graph

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the long-necked, mottled mod

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nice!

Also: It's a weird and wonderful world that allowed two different types of floppies and CD's to coexist :unsmith: .

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Time to make Christmas dinner

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/Chelsea_Elle/status/443120166482612224

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Time to make Christmas dinner

just post #1 and then :bravo:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

this seems silly at first but i bet its for a real study about how cows hold up in storms or some poo poo isn't it?

e. paper doesn't really say anything interesting tbh it's p amateur. the pic is the best thing of it

ee: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/03k0g43p#page-6

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 25, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

Why limit ourselves to economics, though? In politics, for example, we say that candidates "race" to win votes for an election, the same way that runners race across physical distances during a competition. If we can find a runner's velocity during a race, then we could also model the rate at which candidates acquire votes.

We can use historical data to create a model of the "motion" of a campaign based on the rate at which money is spent and the quality of the people running it, like a NASCAR race that runs on lies instead of gasoline.
i just want to be clear for anyone reading the article that this is absurdly stupid

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

are physicists normally this arrogant about social sciences

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

i found a functional 486 system running a windows 95 installation with some custom software on it in the development lab at work a few months ago. absolutely no idea what it's used for, but it was powered on and running.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Golden-i posted:

i found a functional 486 system running a windows 95 installation with some custom software on it in the development lab at work a few months ago. absolutely no idea what it's used for, but it was powered on and running.

apparently one current use of 386/lower end 486 computers is to program motorola radios - like cop radios - the software that does it hasnt changed since like 1991 and it requires a clock speed like 25mhz or 33mhz or else it will brick the radios lol

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

Sniep posted:

apparently one current use of 386/lower end 486 computers is to program motorola radios - like cop radios - the software that does it hasnt changed since like 1991 and it requires a clock speed like 25mhz or 33mhz or else it will brick the radios lol

this rules, i never knew that

i think the system I found is for supporting some product we sold back in the early 90s and promised customers we'd support until 2019 or something like that, so they're contractually obligated to keep one running lol

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

wanna swap out their computers for pentium 2s then

gently caress the police

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

me rn

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ya it's weak. dude doesn't know his dick from his rear end

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

so there's this ongoing problem in academia with the terms "hard science" and "soft science"

on the one hand you have papers like this that sneer at social sciences and act like it's just a stupid easy math problem, but even more pernicious is that economists and psychologists all desperately want to be included in the "hard science" corner because harder is stronger is better, right? so they pretend all kinds of absurd magical powers of predictive analysis and come up with demonstrably absurd propositions about human choice and experience.

basically if we hadn't turned science into a debate about which sport is better we wouldnt be in such dire straits hth anbd have a yossy posmas

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
economists deserve every single instance of mockery imho

FacePalmExpert
Dec 10, 2014

[imagine a clever quip here]

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Sniep posted:

lol radios would be destroyed if someone hits the turbo button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophian
Jun 16, 2007
I'm nothing.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Keep in mind that the capacity of the National Security Agency or other surveillance tools are specifically prohibited from being applied to U.S. citizens or U.S. persons without specific evidence of links to terrorist activity or other foreign-related activity.

In terms of domestic surveillance of any sort, it's probably harder to surveil or use these tools with a smartphone than it was getting a wiretap for a land phone. And both would be illegal without probable cause.

Yeah this is how it's supposed to work but there's a little problem called the FISA courts. These are secret courts that can grant surveillance warrants with no oversight or any form of civilian accountability or input. They also have had a nasty habit of doing things like, say, lock up innocent people in Guantanomo for years. Also they've literally been caught spying on US citizens a few times now on flimsy pretexts so I wouldn't count on the NSA to even bother with a warrant every time either.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

So you know, I think this whole story line that somehow Big Brother has massively expanded and now that a new president is in place it's this loaded gun ready to be used on domestic dissent is just not accurate. It doesn't match up with how these things are organized.
My friend, you should take another look at the Snowden leaks as well as his interviews. Way back in 2013 he said that the NSA was essentially beta testing an upgraded version of PRISM that did a "full take" of telecommunications over in the UK. In other words, this system was designed to archive and tag both meta data as well as the actual content of the communications. Couple that with the knowledge that the NSA was also building massive new data storage facilities around the same time and you got an agency that has both the motive and the means for full passive surveilance that can be utilized on a whim.

Anyways, here's a pic of my new upgraded Clippy:

• Locked thread