Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Breetai posted:

Hi I.N.R.I., it is already Christmas Eve here in Australia, and I am over at my mum's place helping her make the pavlova for the family get together today.

As you can see, it's coming along quite nicely, and if you're careful you can just catch her reflection next to me. I hope that you take some time off from screaming at a thread on a comedy forum devoted to laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet, because they are laughing at stupid poo poo on the Internet in a manner that you do not approve of, and give your mum and dad a big hug for me.
nice job, everyone should doxx their parents on Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Kakarot posted:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Kakarot posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
i'm dying

the nectode of lumberyard was developed for beat-em-up killer instinct.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Amazon Lumberyard is available today in beta for developers building PC, console, and mobile games. VR platforms coming soon.

it is still in beta :negative:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

nice way to spend Christmas

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Was thinking of the poor sods still working at CIG while crobbler and Sandi are probably jetting off to a sunny retreat for a fortnight.

Here's a song to cheer up you poor sods that are still stuck trying to resolve all the delirium that the unexpected engine change has generated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8051Hipbmmw

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

You guys are all looking at this wrong. This means SC has now been in development for not even a year. The future is bright!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/812660012610973697
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/812727679552290817

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ55YIpSEig&t=68s

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Reading citizens complain about how bad the Net code is and hopefully the new net code will fix everything made me realise that "new net code" has probably been code for the lumberyard and AWS move all this time.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

peter gabriel posted:

beta cuck game engine. Star Citizen is alpha male.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Sooo what will we call CIG's hack job?

Lumberjank? Staryard?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sooo what will we call CIG's hack job?

Lumberjank? Staryard?

Junkyard

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The insight into the mind of a perfectly sane and healthy person

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Do you think this guy ever remembers he is talking about a computer game..?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Those WTFSaurus streams where he's reacting to the engine change are golden. I'm actually hoping that he gives up playing Star Citizen during one of his streams and starts playing another game.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
That is what the killer from Se7en was writing in all those notebooks

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

dude sounds like a goon

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Well I had a good sleep and Merry Christmas to everyone from Australia but holy poo poo, it's real and it's insane. Lumberyard.

Truly, this thread gave me the greatest present of all. Complete bewilderment.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Amazon Lumberyard is available today in beta for developers building PC, console, and mobile games. VR platforms coming soon.

But aside from the year they just spent on the changeover, the changeover took no time at all!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

peter gabriel posted:

This is good for Star Citizen because it means that not only does Lumberyard offer the flexibility to include custom SC required functions in the future, but it will remain permanently one step ahead of SC itself (alpha<beta)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Merry Tanemass and a Happy New Tane.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Junkyard

:laugh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

i'm dying

the nectode of lumberyard was developed for beat-em-up killer instinct.

KI had really bad netcode at launch where desyncs were quite common(and it may still be terrible).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

KI had really bad netcode at launch where desyncs were quite common(and it may still be terrible).

Sounds like an improvement for Star Citizen

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Star Citizen: Not eligible for Amazon Prime

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Daztek posted:

Sounds like an improvement for Star Citizen
Two* concurrent** players!

*sometimes one
**sometimes not concurrent

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

I think nothing works, SQ42 is hosed, everyone experienced at CIG either left or is just waiting the end out. I think Chris Roberts will expect Amazon to help them unfuck everything to try to get something out in 2018 (so given his time estimates it will really be more like 2020).

Take a look at the The Lumberyard FAQ

Check out https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/tutorials

:gary:

This is my assumption too. Chris managed himself into a predicament we called months ago where the engine was barely hanging on and nothing could be added any longer without dire consequences.

I'm pretty sure Chris probably has some level guys and scripting people, but all of his hardcore engine grade programmers dumped ship a long time ago. CIG is basically up a creek without a paddle.

I'm willing to bet Chris is going to try to get involved with the direction that this Lumberyard product goes, trying to usurp Amazon talent because he got none. I'm not sure how long that will last or how long it will go for, but it's better than having nothing.

Given this new turn of events, I'm willing to get the spotlight will move away from space ships and onto interpersonal mechanics and FPS gameplay. Also some ground vehicle stuff too. This will be because they're once more at ground zero of CryEngine, where the FPS game isn't destroyed by their crap coding, and basic vehicle interaction is still available.

So expect 2017 to feature a big push into the FPS and social arenas. Stock CryEngine is back, baby!

Also I hope everybody is having a good Christmas/Christmas Eve. :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Serak posted:

I'm sorry, but 'Actually, This is a good thing™' is already the trademarked slogan for Bitcoin.

However, as they both share a similar development history, community and level of success, I'm sure a licensing deal could be struck - I heard CIG is big on those these days

No need.
They can just archer it.

See, it's modified, so this is fair use, it's fine.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just copy/paste all your super deep modifications of CryEngine 3.7 over though, right? It probably only set them back a day or two and is in no way related to the immense lack of progress they've shown all year.

I bet one of their programmers did it over the weekend while also sipping tea and looking over an old garage door opener.

Engine switch is literally just take all the source code and paste them together and hit compile. Easiest thing in the world really. Same with layering the code behind the ideas.

Everybody knows the hard part is coming up with all these ideas. Good thing they have Chris Roberts for those! His latest great idea of "dump everything, revert to a free engine based on CryEngine!" was literally phenomenal. I hope he gives himself a huuuuge Christmas bonus for that one!!! :allears:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

You clearly don't understand the brilliance of Chris Roberts. This is only the first engine swap. Before Crobbers is done, he'll want to switch engines at least twice more before announcing CIG will develop their own proprietary engine. Most games you see only need one engine, some have used two--but Star Citizen is so revolutionary, it will need five.

The ultimate plan is to have 20 engines and have them switch at a rate of 20 Hz, so each frame of one second of gameplay is rendered by a different engine, therefore increasing the overall efficiency because there is no downtime.

The inspiration for this came from CIG's revolutionary use of multiple studios across multiple timezones to increase productivity.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Combat Pretzel posted:

So anyway, is Amazon going to continue proactive development on Lumberyard to stay on edge with any new stuff NVidia, AMD and whoever else researches rendering tech? Or is this going to wither in maintenance mode?

Not a chance, I'd guess. Lumberyard isn't going to take off any more than CryEngine did for the past few years. When stuff like Unreal Engine is out and Unity is making huge strides, building a half-assed engine based on a failed engine company isn't something they're going to throw huge resources at.

This is probably a pet project for Amazon to test the waters and see if it takes off or not. AWS integration is gonna be a big draw, but I can't see Amazon ever developing Lumberyard out to actually compete with the dedicated engine companies.

This may end up with Amazon building out a multiplayer AWS plugin that works with Unity or Unreal though. That would probably net them more money than trying to keep up with the Jones's.

But who knows! Now that Chris Roberts is involved, really the sky is the limit for how far the crazy train will go.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

orcinus posted:

LMFAO, i got accused of deleting my comments in /r/sc before posting in /r/cults.

Never mind the fact the only two times i ever posted in /r/sc was about 3 posts exchanged with Cymelion and 1 post when they announced they're ditching VR support like 2 years ago.
Never mind the fact i wouldn't post there if you'd pay me.

Sure, i posted there and then deleted all my comments to appear like i'm... what exactly...?

Lol

Ok sure

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Star Citizen: My Hairy Roberts Brings All The Shitizens To The Lumberyard

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Mirificus posted:

Before

After

thats loving gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Some poo poo from old thread that is still hilarious

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvule1cD_zk#t=1687s

"we are talking about some stuff we are doing with the network where we are going to have this sort of mesh of servers so we will be able to have hopefully you know a large amount of players all in same area so we dont have to instance it in the way we were originally going to we were thinking we were going to have to instance it. we have a kind of different server(or service) design now that could potentially have thousands of players all in same sort of area at the same time which would be really cool, because thats something again its not something you could get from year ago or 10 years ago but with you know sort of newer tech the power in the machines kind of sort of stuff you can do in the cloud possibility is sort of opened up and you want to utilize it"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=5016&perpage=40#post462976045

Something Jones posted:

"we are talking about some STUFF we are doing with the network, where we are going to have this SORT OF MESH OF SERVERS... so we will be able to have hopefully, you know, a large amount of players all in same area...

So we don't have to instance it in the way we were originally going to... we were thinking we were going to have to instance it.

We have a kind of different SERVER DESIGN now that could potentially have thousands of players all in same sort of area at the same time which would be really COOL, because that's something... again its not something you could get from a year ago or 10 years ago... but with, you know, sort of NEWER TECH the POWER IN THE MACHINES kind of sort of stuff you can do in the CLOUD POSSIBILITY is sort of opened up and you want to utilize it"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=5028&perpage=40#post463012985

Something Jones posted:

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:29
"we're doing things like we're... we're... you know, pushing more and more into MULTIPLE CORES, more... MULTI-THREADING to, you know, be able to do more... you know... PHYSICS PROCESSING at the same time as we're doing more sort of entity updating and simulation. So ehm you know, part of the benef... part of the result of that is moving to more players in, eh, CRUSADER, we'll continue and we're expecting to continue to sort of push that over time, eh, to get more and more and uh, you know we're actually working on... some ah, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH uhm, that will allow us to ah, sort of MESH A LOT MORE... players all in essentially what will be kind of sort of the same, ah, INSTANCE"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=217426&perpage=40&pagenumber=33#post463016103