Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grabbed Soulreaver. It was one of the reasons I begged my folks to buy me a Dreamcast but they never did. Thank you kind Goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Objective Action posted:

Startopia
ZD%R%-2(J7L-6H%(N

Thanks dude.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Objective Action posted:

Hatoful Boyfriend
7VAB4-GD3&4-00%96

Thanks!

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011

Objective Action posted:

Abyss Odyssey (x2)

BMZHZ-J%L7N-I96*0

Thanks!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Takes No Damage posted:

HAHA, no, these holiday cards COST 10bux (or more accurately, you get a free one for every 10bux spent), they do not sell for 10bux. Cards are in your Inventory, you can go there and put them on the market but you'll be lucky to get .25 for 5 holiday cards. Also I hope you've set up 2fa on the Steam Mobile App otherwise there's like a 2 week wait before your cards will actually show up in the market, by which time these holiday cards will have blinked out of existence.

So what are they for? Why would anyone buy them?

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Objective Action posted:

I had some spare keys going to waste and this seems like the place to put them this time of year.

Consider me standing on the tracks throwing rocks at the windows as the gift train goes past...my metaphor kind of fell apart there but you get the idea!

Euro Truck Simulator 2
9E788-43LH3-&D9J&

Thank you very much!

Grabbed this, I keep seeing people rave about it but I could never fit it in my holiday gaming budget.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I'm trying to decide which one of these games I should buy: Witcher 3, Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dragon's Dogma

How scalable are they in terms of graphics and performance? My system is starting to age a bit, I got an i5 and a gtx960 but I'm not really keen on upgrading.

Also, I know Witcher 3 is the obvious pro-pick here, but I'm not sure I have the spare time to devote to it any time soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dooooooom.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Don't play Doom if you can't squeeze out a constant 60FPS. Try the demo first.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Witcher games are actually bad.

*ducks while correct*

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Krowley posted:

I'm trying to decide which one of these games I should buy: Witcher 3, Doom, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dragon's Dogma

How scalable are they in terms of graphics and performance? My system is starting to age a bit, I got an i5 and a gtx960 but I'm not really keen on upgrading.

Also, I know Witcher 3 is the obvious pro-pick here, but I'm not sure I have the spare time to devote to it any time soon.

You'll be fine with that rig, except for Doom.

Witcher 3 & Dragon's Dogma ran fine on my ancient Phenom II/HD7770. RoTT was actually quite playable up until the final few missions.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'd actually argue DOOM will run better than TW3 or RotTR. It's a real well built game.

Out of those I'd place Witcher 3 at the top, but as you said your time may be limited.

In that case, get DOOM. It's a contender for GotY.

Haven't played the other two but everything I've seen makes them look like they're not even in the same league of fun.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Addamere posted:

So what are they for? Why would anyone buy them?
If you collect 10 of them you can craft a badge in your profile to show off to your steam friends and increase your steam level.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

I'd go with Witcher 3, it will entertain you for 200h if you like RPGs, has great characters and cutscenes, story is interesting, loads of quests and interesting sceneries.

Compared ot Witcher 3, Dragon's Dogma is...weird... it just did not feel right. I never played more than 10h. It's just a mediocre game imho.

Doom is great, but short and all DLC is multiplayer. So YMMV depending on whether you like MP. Never tried it.

I can't say anything about RotTR no idea haven't played it, but heard friends say it is not as good as the first one.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Minecraft: Story Mode
Terraria
Stardew Valley

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Xander77 sent me Broken Age, and I promised to do a write-up on it so here we go. I've had less than an hour on it, but to be fair it IS Christmas Day and my time really should be spent on other stuff. I threatened dick jokes, but it just feels wrong to try and shoe-horn them in. You know, like I had to do with your mum.

For starters, it's a family-friendly point-n-click adventure game with full controller support. I've not read up on it before playing, but it seems you can switch at any time to play either the girl or the boy. Steam gives it a "Very Positive" rating with over 5,000 reviews. Currently you can pick it up for $4.99

The girl lives in a pre-industrial farming world and is celebrating some sinister coming-of-age or Hunger Games sort of thing in her village. Everyone is happy about it all except her GrandDad who wishes for a return to his youth where presumably rape and pillage was the order of the day. I mean, there's no way the game will go there but I get the feeling this old boy was like Kronar from Oglaf. I also get the feeling that the heroine wouldn't mind quaffing a few wines out of the skulls of her enemies either. And with the size of their heads you'd get absolutely hammered pretty quick. I've not left the first room yet but have a feeling I need to load the old duffer up with sugary treats until he goes into some sort of insulin rage and tears the place apart.

The lad lives on a spaceship that is run by a computer that wants to keep him from anything dangerous at all. As you can imagine, he's pretty bored of this and wants to break out of this routine. It has this vibe of a friendlier version of AM, the artificial intelligence from "I have No Mouth and I Must Scream" (which was a short story, but coincidentally also a game you can buy on Steam), but with less gruesome body-modification and more cutesy bullshit. The first part of this has you trying your hand at various "missions" that were made for 3-year-olds until you work out how to break out of the programming. I managed to get somewhere in this section and it has also taken a bit of a sinister turn as I seem to be going about some Captain Blood style shenanigans. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up disintegrating aliens in order to absorb their life essence.

No doubt things will become clearer as the game progresses. I've no idea if the 2 characters you play will meet, but it seems pretty likely that the end will feature something like that. Then again maybe the dude will get confused using his UPCOM and vaporise her planet.

Seems fun so far!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i really enjoyed the first half of broken age. i quit very quickly after starting the 2nd half. the puzzles just got annoying.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ZIGfried posted:

Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Terraria
Stardew Valley

The Lego games?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Lego games can get a bit tricky especially Lego Batman 1, platforming parts are difficult due to the stupid camera, and the flying controls in Marvel heroes are poo poo.

The Lego Harry Potter games are pretty easy, not much platforming iirc. But she should now the story. I watched all films when I started playing HP with the GF cause I had no clue what was going on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Bog thanks to Blattdorf for Evil Within!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Happy Steam Sale! Is there a general rule of thumb that helps people decide if Arkham Knight will run for them? Steam forums appear mixed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ZIGfried posted:

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Terraria
Stardew Valley

Pixeljunk Monsters or Eden.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just noticed that the Shadowrun Returns bundle is on sale for a ridiculously low price, so as a huge fan of those games, I have to plug it. The first Returns game is a bit clunky and short, but Dragonfall and Hong Kong are pretty much masterpieces. If you like the cyberpunk aesthetic at all, or if you just enjoy a good old fashioned tactical RPG with a strong story, this series is for you. And it has a great soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbKHT1ZD3ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqrll8Z9XwI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt44yteqhhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27EHTwiY9EA

Buy it! Buy this bundle noooow!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fifteen of Many posted:

Happy Steam Sale! Is there a general rule of thumb that helps people decide if Arkham Knight will run for them? Steam forums appear mixed.

Yes, it is called the 2hr return policy.... no it really seems to be a gamble. I bought it for 11 € back when it was pulled from sale on Steam and it ran fine for me even then on my I5 with a 7870 and 8gig Ram PC with win7.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

question for Rise of Tomb Raider. The Syria level is clearly just a prequel mission. Am I able to go back to it later in the game for collectables?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I'm at $100 now. Hoping for some steam gift cards tomorrow. I wanna make it to 420 games and stop there for a while.

Biggest surprise so far is Borderlands The Pre Sequel being quite possibly the best running game on Linux. I dunno wtf but I've got the cheapest Alienware Steam machine that runs most big games at minimal settings but this is just amazing - my toaster cranks this thing on ultra settings. I like Borderlands because running around mindlessly shooting everything without really thinking about strategy is very meditative for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BigRed0427 posted:

question for Rise of Tomb Raider. The Syria level is clearly just a prequel mission. Am I able to go back to it later in the game for collectables?

Once you beat the story you can fast travel back there

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Running With Rifles is insane

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Witcher games are actually bad.

*ducks while correct*

I'm with you in not really liking them, for reasons I can't even figure out myself, but I wouldn't say they're "bad" games. I think mainly it's the combat, the combat is the gameplay (if you don't count riding a horse around and picking flowers) and it doesn't feel satisfying even in the newest one. The older ones are even worse, combat-wise. Yeah yeah, blah blah open world and the writing and "atmosphere" but I'm not putting 100+ hours into a game when I don't enjoy the one thing I'll be doing the most of.

Skyrim is bland but at least the combat is stupid easy so I can ignore it and just enjoy dicking around in Medieval Times.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Krowley posted:

Doom and Witcher 3 are both fantastic. Your system will handle either just fine. I have an amd 7860 and both still look and perform great.

If you're trying to get the most mileage out of your purchase, that's a harder call. Witcher 3 can easily give you 100+ single player hours if you don't get bored before then. Doom is going to be an amazing 10-15 hours ride, but you probably won't get much more out of it unless you like arena type shooters (but the mplayer seems pretty fun too).

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

The only other game I'm remotely interested in playing is Renowned Explorers. Can anyone comment if RE + II would be too much roguelike + xcomlike + rpglike? Also if I get RE should I pick up the expansion content too, if it's solid and adds features throughout the base game I'm more willing to get it than if it just tacks on a bunch of end game content.

It looks like nobody else has replied to this, so I'll chime in with my 2cents. I highly recommend RE, although I wasn't aware of the expansion. I can say that the base game alone is well worth more than the bundle's sale price.
The game is really light on the rpg elements, has a lot in common with ftl, especially the movement around the map, but the real meat and potatoes of the game is in the combat. It's turn based tactics fighting, with a rock paper scissors mechanic that includes the option to be snarky, nice, or hit them physically. Every playable character has a yuuugely different rule change for when they're the leader of your party, and the different combinations of team members have a profound effect on your strategy. So it has a pile of replayability. There's all kinds of options for adjusting the difficulty, if the rng screwing you over gets to be a bit muich, or if you're like me and really bad at roguelike/lite games, but enjoy them, and want to advance regardless of ineptitude.
It's kind of funny at times too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

James Woods Fan posted:

Running With Rifles is insane

RWR is a good game.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

ZIGfried posted:

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Terraria
Stardew Valley

Heavily recommend the last two games. And get her the real Minecraft, if she doesn't already have it.

I'd also recommend Ori and the Blind Forest. Very nice game, with really beautiful graphics.

Indolent Bastard posted:

100% tried, but can't unless I have a US credit card and billing address. So annoying. Any American feeling generous? :ohdearsass:

E: I can paypal you back

I bought Alpha Protocol on Gamestop using my Paypal account.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I'm with you in not really liking them, for reasons I can't even figure out myself, but I wouldn't say they're "bad" games. I think mainly it's the combat, the combat is the gameplay (if you don't count riding a horse around and picking flowers) and it doesn't feel satisfying even in the newest one. The older ones are even worse, combat-wise. Yeah yeah, blah blah open world and the writing and "atmosphere" but I'm not putting 100+ hours into a game when I don't enjoy the one thing I'll be doing the most of.

Skyrim is bland but at least the combat is stupid easy so I can ignore it and just enjoy dicking around in Medieval Times.

What a sensible and less inflammatory way to say how I feel

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I saw gauntlet was on sale and picked up a 4 pack to play with buddies. Having seen no mention of it, did I screw up? I remember blowing quite a few quarters playing some arcade gauntlet, and have thousands of hrs into diablo

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Enter the Gungeon for $7.49 is a steal, a really amazing game, is about to get a big content patch in January. It is quite hard though, there aren't many ways to manipulate RNG for consistent streaks, you need to get better at not getting shot. Even when I'm not trying for any sort of progression I have a blast running the game. It's like if BInding of Isaac controlled well and was actually fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

Yes. As mentioned above, you need to beat the game first. Be advised, when looking at the map, you will have to scroll down a bit to see the area. It's not in the same neighborhood as the rest of the quick travel spots.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Anyone here have feelings on Stronghold Crusader 2? I have fond memories of playing the demo of Stronghold a million times over when I was a kid and the 90% off is really tempting me but I don't know... is it at least a passable RTS? My rose colored glasses are so thick here I feel a bit blinded.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ZIGfried posted:

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Maybe Disney Infinity would be good for her? The Steam version just has everything unlocked no toys required

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Pigeotic posted:

Anyone here have feelings on Stronghold Crusader 2? I have fond memories of playing the demo of Stronghold a million times over when I was a kid and the 90% off is really tempting me but I don't know... is it at least a passable RTS? My rose colored glasses are so thick here I feel a bit blinded.

Didn't care for it and hit refund months back.

• Locked thread