Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've said it before, but it's almost criminal how there's no official way of having Iris, Aranea, or Cor join your team in the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want the DLC that is just a flashback, half as long as the present story mode, of Regis, Cid, Gladio's dad, and Cor going on THEIR roadtrip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And there, it's done. Strong ending, which can excuse a lot.

This is one title where I'm glad I spoiled myself stupid. I would have started getting really annoyed at the cut content and plot twists without knowing any of the context in advance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I've said it before, but it's almost criminal how there's no official way of having Iris, Aranea, or Cor join your team in the post game.

They've hinted they may be adding that in a future patch

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol'ing really hard at all the people complaining about chapter 13 but not Crestholm Channels

gently caress everything and everyone to do with that shitfuck area

90 minutes in: "Oh these computer things pop up an interact prompt when you get within 2 inches of them"

90 more minutes in: "Oh I have to figure out that I need to jump over this railing"

The headlights are behind one of the three tunnels that leads from the trench behind that waist high railing. You have to jump over it. I want 3-4 hrs of my life back. That is the most video game level-y area I have ever seen in a video game, it's supposed to be a sewer I guess but the three-dimensional design of this place is downright malevolent.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 25, 2016

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

lol'ing really hard at all the people complaining about chapter 13 but not Crestholm Channels

90 minutes in: "Oh these computer things pop up an interact prompt when you get within 2 inches of them"

90 more minutes in: "Oh I have to figure out that I need to jump over this railing"

The headlights are behind one of the three tunnels that leads from the trench behind that waist high railing. You have to jump over it. I want 3-4 hrs of my life back. That is the most video game level-y area I have ever seen in a video game, it's supposed to be a sewer I guess but the three-dimensional design of this place is downright malevolent.
Yeah the miniboss was also huge bullshit. I didn't even know there was a main boss until I looked it up and noticed that I missed a ladder leading to it.

How does the castle dungeon compare to Crestholm? I'm really dreading it. It's one of my last quests but it sounds like people hate it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's one part of Costlemark that's pretty annoying but I thought Crestholm was worse.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm still slowly working my way through the first area getting to grips with the game. Is there a certain point where the plot/stakes pick up or is it this laid back all the way through?

Mind you I've been doing hunts and stuff, so I'm probably only on the second main mission or so (just got to a dock without any available boats), even though I've clocked up almost 3 hours already!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I'm still slowly working my way through the first area getting to grips with the game. Is there a certain point where the plot/stakes pick up or is it this laid back all the way through?

Mind you I've been doing hunts and stuff, so I'm probably only on the second main mission or so (just got to a dock without any available boats), even though I've clocked up almost 3 hours already!

It gets less laid back shortly but it's mostly chilling until it becomes linear.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Here is a complete and exhaustive list of all videogame sewer levels that aren't utterly terrible:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Here is a complete and exhaustive list of all videogame sewer levels that aren't utterly terrible:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So in the postgame there's no way to unlock the guys' "future" looks to run around the open world in? I liked ignis' sunglasses and the anime john wick look Noctis had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So in the postgame there's no way to unlock the guys' "future" looks to run around the open world in? I liked ignis' sunglasses and the anime john wick look Noctis had.

Sadly no. Just their costumes which look a bit silly on the young version.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So I just started Lvl 1 Run and I'm already noticing things I missed on my first playthrough (camp convos, recipes)

Enemies are currently over 10 levels higher but nothing I can't handle with food buffs.

I might be kicking myself in later chapters, but I really want NG+ Save with lvl 1 characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

So I just started Lvl 1 Run and I'm already noticing things I missed on my first playthrough (camp convos, recipes)

Enemies are currently over 10 levels higher but nothing I can't handle with food buffs.

I might be kicking myself in later chapters, but I really want NG+ Save with lvl 1 characters.

It probably won't be THAT bad. You'll probably just need to get used to fighting as solo Noctis which basically ain't much different from the endgame normally.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know what you mean mate VTM:Bloodlines sewer level was lit!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ApplesandOranges posted:

So hey, XII Judges, remember those?

Except that the Judges were actually relevant to the story.

To be fair, you see four or five Judges in the game and you fight three of them, which is kind of alright with me, especially since you also get a boss fight against that game's Cid and the villain you meet at the start of the game is the villain you defeat at the end. People frown on 12's story but I think, for clearly suffering maybe as many cuts as XV's did, it's pretty cohesive and clear from start to finish and by the end of it you really care about Balthier and Fran.

and Ashe! Forgot about her for a second, but her too, sure.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

I had to look up the location of the headlights and the final terminal too. The lovely part was that I'd jumped down there before and for whatever reason thought I'd explored all the tunnels, so I felt safe to ignore it while I ran laps around an empty dungeon for an hour looking for something I'd missed.

Also bullshit: the Vault location in Daurell Caverns you have to warp to in the Iron Giant fight but can't once the fight is over. There's a mechanic that really needs to be telegraphed.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Yeah the miniboss was also huge bullshit. I didn't even know there was a main boss until I looked it up and noticed that I missed a ladder leading to it.

How does the castle dungeon compare to Crestholm? I'm really dreading it. It's one of my last quests but it sounds like people hate it.

Costlemark just has one section that's a horrible slog but the rest of it wasn't too bad.

I didn't have too much trouble with Crestholm, I saw the door on the minimap on the way and kinda pieced together what the buttons were doing. I had an issue finding one button but I didn't have any issue with the headlights.

That miniboss was something else though

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Checks out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

To be fair, you see four or five Judges in the game and you fight three of them, which is kind of alright with me, especially since you also get a boss fight against that game's Cid and the villain you meet at the start of the game is the villain you defeat at the end. People frown on 12's story but I think, for clearly suffering maybe as many cuts as XV's did, it's pretty cohesive and clear from start to finish and by the end of it you really care about Balthier and Fran.

and Ashe! Forgot about her for a second, but her too, sure.

Fran was even less of a character than Vaan and Penelo. She had her 5 minutes in the woods and that's it. I can't remember what Balthier did besides no gently caress you dad.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Fran was even less of a character than Vaan and Penelo. She had her 5 minutes in the woods and that's it. I can't remember what Balthier did besides no gently caress you dad.

* claimed to be the leading man
* had a British accent
* was the default gun user despite his little animations making him the worst loving gunner.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So for the final engine blade upgrade you need Sturdy Helixhorns. And they are only available from Duplicorns and Leukorns? And Leukorns only appear in one hunter level 7 hunt, so to get it earlier than that is the 10% chance from breaking duplicorns?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So for the final engine blade upgrade you need Sturdy Helixhorns. And they are only available from Duplicorns and Leukorns? And Leukorns only appear in one hunter level 7 hunt, so to get it earlier than that is the 10% chance from breaking duplicorns?

Do it with Duplicorn hunt. Eat the food that boosts drop rate (wear the gear if you have it as well) then target their horn and repeatedly warp strike it until it breaks. If that isnt enough to kill it, kill it however you please.

To further reduce time save before the hunt then reload if you dont get it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

JetsGuy posted:

It can't be a games thread until some game superman swings in now and announces he's amazing and has never had trouble with Coeurls and we just suck.

Granted I've only ever fought them in packs. :v:

I suck at games generally I just didn't find the coeurls particularly hard :shrug:

Avoiding hitting them when they've run off by themselves removes their most dangerous / annoying attack.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ImpAtom posted:

I would trade Gladio for Cor in a heartbeat.

Make a dlc episode starring Aranea, Cor, Iris and uh, I don't know, Jared.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've made a huge loving mistake entering Castlemark.

What the gently caress is this and these replicating lighting exploding rear end in a top hat bombs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Aranea, if you bring her into the postgame dungeons does she make them significantly easier?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I've made a huge loving mistake entering Castlemark.

What the gently caress is this and these replicating lighting exploding rear end in a top hat bombs

Yeah, they're a problem. Only way to reliably get past them is either Armiger or using Overwhelm just before they're about to detonate.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Aranea, if you bring her into the postgame dungeons does she make them significantly easier?

Maybe? I'm sure her dps contribution is poo poo, but she can't die so that's a distraction for enemies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe? I'm sure her dps contribution is poo poo, but she can't die so that's a distraction for enemies.

Is her technique as good/stronger than Gladio's Impulse?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Is her technique as good/stronger than Gladio's Impulse?

Doubt it. It's only single target too. Impulse just wrecks everything.

or you could use Sagefire on Ignis for the best single target dps :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Baron Corbyn posted:

* claimed to be the leading man
* had a British accent
* was the default gun user despite his little animations making him the worst loving gunner.

The fun thing about FF12 was almost none of the characters defaulted to their best weapon type. IIRC baltheirs WORST weapon was guns and I think bombs was his best.

Also Baltheir was the best FF12 character you ninnies. :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Doubt it. It's only single target too. Impulse just wrecks everything.

or you could use Sagefire on Ignis for the best single target dps :v:

How's Prompto's 3 bar skill?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

How's Prompto's 3 bar skill?

Fun to use, but pretty poor. Only his last shot does decent damage and you can just use his bar 1 skill for that.

Overwhelm + Bow of the Clever really is your only solid option for reliable damage in the endgame and beyond.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

JetsGuy posted:

Balthier is the only character with a personality, so yeah he wins by default.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

JetsGuy posted:

The fun thing about FF12 was almost none of the characters defaulted to their best weapon type. IIRC baltheirs WORST weapon was guns and I think bombs was his best.

Most of the time it doesn't matter because the difference in animation is like fractions of a second. At best it will save you a whopping few minutes on one of the superbosses.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah but she's like Chewie, she's the right-hand of the leading man, so she gets credit.

Plus she's smoking hot and she has a sexy Icelandic accent

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got to some puzzle room that i think is going to make me clear a ton of dumb poo poo and i didn't bring enough potions for this. I also accidentally stepped on some red orb and now I'm back on top so you know what gently caress you dungeon I'm going to grind and level up elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got to some puzzle room that i think is going to make me clear a ton of dumb poo poo and i didn't bring enough potions for this. I also accidentally stepped on some red orb and now I'm back on top so you know what gently caress you dungeon I'm going to grind and level up elsewhere.

If it helps, it's pretty easy to get back through since the enemies don't respawn

• Locked thread