Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In Rogue One the elite "can actually shoot people" stormtroopers wear black armor, might be a good exercise for experimenting with shades of black and matte/gloss separation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

In Star Wars, the emperor's royal (I.e. praetorian) guard all wore red and had red tie fighters and pilot suits to go with the red robed characters from the movies. Of course, that's all from the now-deleted expanded universe and was one of the prime examples of missing-the-point the EU was famous for. But, having red elite troopers in the game is a primary indicator to all the Star Wars nerds that they're supposed to be elite, so I understand where the poster's coming from.

I don't think the biker scouts ever had a superiority designation and it still weirds me out years later they're the ones manning the heavy weapons platform instead of sandtroopers who all wear pauldrons that you could paint instead. Greenstuffing pauldrons onto the biker scouts is another possibility.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My wife painted some mouselings as holiday gifts to her co-workers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

My wife painted some mouselings as holiday gifts to her co-workers.

Those are adorable! I hope her coworkers love them :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those mice are super cute. Love the one with the little bumblebee.

Man, I missed painting Ultramarines.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Jeez I was pretty happy with this ork until I saw those wicked rear end new/retro Ultras bro.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Naw, you should be happy with that cool Ork. The checkers on the red, stripes on the power cables, and cool tattoo make him look pretty awesome. Nice gritty paintjob too, just touch up the base rim and job's a good 'un.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Hey thanks! I'm trying to get back into using the washes I made a couple years ago to make painting a horde of irks a little less painful.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm having a problem with my badger patriot 105. It will absolutely not spray with the spray regulator attached, it seems like nothing gets through, not even air. The instant I remove it air goes through perfectly, but not paint (or water).

What the hell?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I'm having a problem with my badger patriot 105. It will absolutely not spray with the spray regulator attached, it seems like nothing gets through, not even air. The instant I remove it air goes through perfectly, but not paint (or water).

What the hell?

Ok I think I found the issue, there was a ring of dried paint inside the spray regulator that I didn't realize was paint until I poked it with a needle.

Speaking of needles, the needle tip has a fair chunk of dried paint inside it, but I have no idea how to clean it. The narrow end is way to narrow for any cleaning tool I have so I can't just put one through. I have a second needle tip, which I'll be using instead, but I'd like to get this one back into operation. Soak it in something?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

wdarkk posted:

Ok I think I found the issue, there was a ring of dried paint inside the spray regulator that I didn't realize was paint until I poked it with a needle.

Speaking of needles, the needle tip has a fair chunk of dried paint inside it, but I have no idea how to clean it. The narrow end is way to narrow for any cleaning tool I have so I can't just put one through. I have a second needle tip, which I'll be using instead, but I'd like to get this one back into operation. Soak it in something?

soak it in airbrush cleaner, use cotton tips and the literal needle and slowly work it in and out.

Then, buy an airbrush cleaning kit with brushes that are small enough to go through.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...sh+cleaning+kit

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

soak it in airbrush cleaner, use cotton tips and the literal needle and slowly work it in and out.

Then, buy an airbrush cleaning kit with brushes that are small enough to go through.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...sh+cleaning+kit

The video from the guy who runs badger in the OP says if you scrape it with metal bristles (which those look like they are?) you very likely will ruin your airbrush and also warranty.

I just got my airbrush a week ago so I'm not an expert but I made sure I researched everything and you will want to be careful with that I guess.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

General Olloth posted:

The video from the guy who runs badger in the OP says if you scrape it with metal bristles (which those look like they are?) you very likely will ruin your airbrush and also warranty.

I just got my airbrush a week ago so I'm not an expert but I made sure I researched everything and you will want to be careful with that I guess.

All good, it's black nylon.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I have that kit, I didn't think any of those brushes can get through the narrow end of the fine needle-tip. I'll check tomorrow I guess.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yeast posted:

All good, it's black nylon.

Oh okay cool. I see it now on the mountain of text on the product page.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Painting some more orks and trying to strike a balance between grime and bright colors.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Time to bring the quality of this page down!

I'm actually quite happy how he's turned out so far.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
quit humble bragging your cool painting

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
that's all photoshop magic baby

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
15mm skeleton from Khurasan Miniatures

28mm Stonehaven Miniatures Tengu (dude is the right size for all my other 15mm stuff)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Those are really good tiny minis.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've been thinking about getting into mini painting, mostly for D&D stuff. Someone got me a Reaper Bones Learn to Paint kit for Christmas, and I just "finished" my first ever paint job.

There's a few places I failed to stay in the lines that I might touch up later. I feel like I had some issues with too much/too thick wash and drawing a blank on where to do highlights when it came to that. Overall, while no masterpiece, it certainly came out better than I expected and I had some fun doing it. I can't imagine doing entire armies, though. I think something like an 8 man guild ball squad would be my limit.

Also, I thought my head was going to explode from concentrating when doing those tiny details like the leather chest-strap and banding on the quiver.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For basic highlights just go with the highest surfaces; using the method in that learn to paint set, you would use the first drybrushing to return the base surface to its original color while leaving recessed areas dark, and then the second brighter set would be topmost surfaces; where the rib bones bend, the top of the skull, the point bit of the metal bow cap, etc.

If you're really bad at figuring out where light would collect on a figure, you could do the most straightforward way and shine a bright desk lamp at the figure after you prime it/base coat, take a picture, and refer to that.

By the way, rhe picture on the set shows a sauron looking dude, but in his place I got a pretty cool dude in layered plates and a horned helmet marching forward. Was that the same case for yours, or did I 'luck' out?

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

A friend started 1K Sons and he, another friend, and myself painted up a box of sorcerers for him. He painted the left, I painted the middle, and another friend painted the right. I think they all turned out great.

Sorry for huge pics, hope timg is okay.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Alokgen posted:

A friend started 1K Sons and he, another friend, and myself painted up a box of sorcerers for him. He painted the left, I painted the middle, and another friend painted the right. I think they all turned out great.

This poo poo right here is the truth.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Alokgen posted:

These are fucken dope

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

siggy2021 posted:

I've been thinking about getting into mini painting, mostly for D&D stuff. Someone got me a Reaper Bones Learn to Paint kit for Christmas, and I just "finished" my first ever paint job.

There's a few places I failed to stay in the lines that I might touch up later. I feel like I had some issues with too much/too thick wash and drawing a blank on where to do highlights when it came to that. Overall, while no masterpiece, it certainly came out better than I expected and I had some fun doing it. I can't imagine doing entire armies, though. I think something like an 8 man guild ball squad would be my limit.

Also, I thought my head was going to explode from concentrating when doing those tiny details like the leather chest-strap and banding on the quiver.

Those little details feel difficult now, but once you've done more minis, you'll find they become a lot easier, which will be the point where you start to move on even finer details. You'll also get better at gauging the consistency of your paint and washes, adjusting it for different purposes.

Skelly there's a great start. Make sure you keep these first few minis so you can compare them to what you're able to do in a year from now. A lot of time, you just don't notice the progress you make because it's gradual, but I promise you'll see a huge difference when you actually do comparisons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

15mm skeleton from Khurasan Miniatures

28mm Stonehaven Miniatures Tengu (dude is the right size for all my other 15mm stuff)

cute AF

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

WIP of one of my Seattle-Class Carriers for Dropfleet;

Enjoying painting these and trying to figure out the sweet spot of how much highlighting I want to add whilst keeping things subtle. I think I need to push myself further on stuff.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Flipswitch posted:

WIP of one of my Seattle-Class Carriers for Dropfleet;

Enjoying painting these and trying to figure out the sweet spot of how much highlighting I want to add whilst keeping things subtle. I think I need to push myself further on stuff.

Subtlety is overrated at scale. Go buck-wild.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I made some robits

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice! The Deathmarks were some of my favorite sculpts of the new Necrons. I did mine in brass and red:

It's too bad the rules for them were fairly lackluster. :(

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I bought some GW Agrellan Badlands to get a cracked desert texture on my army's bases. My first two test bases it's dried just kind of grainy, like sandy paint. I've tried a third and put it on waaaay thicker, and will check on it in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for this stuff? Currently it doesn't look at all how I expected. There appears only to be YouTube vids available for the finer textures (and older) Agrellan Earth, which is much more of a liquid, I'm just struggling to see how this texture of stuff is ever going to dry right.

I bought like five pots so I guess I'm still gonna use it even if I can't get it to work right.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

ineptmule posted:

I bought some GW Agrellan Badlands to get a cracked desert texture on my army's bases. My first two test bases it's dried just kind of grainy, like sandy paint. I've tried a third and put it on waaaay thicker, and will check on it in the morning, but does anyone have any tips for this stuff? Currently it doesn't look at all how I expected. There appears only to be YouTube vids available for the finer textures (and older) Agrellan Earth, which is much more of a liquid, I'm just struggling to see how this texture of stuff is ever going to dry right.

I bought like five pots so I guess I'm still gonna use it even if I can't get it to work right.

Yeah I had the exact same experience with it, I tried several test bases with various thicknesses and such and none of them came out all nice and cracked like the GW ones :( I got some slight cracking with the thicker ones but yeah, still not amazing.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Ilor posted:

Nice! The Deathmarks were some of my favorite sculpts of the new Necrons. I did mine in brass and red:

It's too bad the rules for them were fairly lackluster. :(

This stuff looks amazing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Yeah I had the exact same experience with it, I tried several test bases with various thicknesses and such and none of them came out all nice and cracked like the GW ones :( I got some slight cracking with the thicker ones but yeah, still not amazing.

I haven't used Agrellan Badlands, but I have used the thinner Martian Ironearth (the equivalent of Agrellan Earth, I think). For that, you lay it on three times as thick as you think is appropriate. Like, you're not painting it on. You're globbing it on like you're smearing boogers on a third-grade bully's desk. It really shrinks down as it dries. If you can texture the piles of it on the base, you're getting close. Then let it dry for a long long while.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
It's just colored crackle paint and yeah you have to glob it on like peanut butter. If you want a mix of large and small cracks you just vary the thickness.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

General Olloth posted:

I made some robits

I think the photos from the real camera came out worse than my phone.

Here is my phone photos:

EDIT:

Here's my spyder from a couple weeks back while I'm remembering to dump photos.

I'm not very creative so I'm just following the box but whatever. I like the color scheme.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 26, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Arcturas posted:

I haven't used Agrellan Badlands, but I have used the thinner Martian Ironearth (the equivalent of Agrellan Earth, I think). For that, you lay it on three times as thick as you think is appropriate. Like, you're not painting it on. You're globbing it on like you're smearing boogers on a third-grade bully's desk. It really shrinks down as it dries. If you can texture the piles of it on the base, you're getting close. Then let it dry for a long long while.

Chance II posted:

It's just colored crackle paint and yeah you have to glob it on like peanut butter. If you want a mix of large and small cracks you just vary the thickness.

Yeah I know the old agrellan earth and martian ironearth crackly ones work great, but the new thicker variants just don't seem to crack much no matter how thick, and believe me I really globbed it on. Shame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

This stuff looks amazing.
Thanks! Here's what the actual troops looked like:

And the Annihilation Barge:

Like pretty much all of my vehicles, I magnetized the gently caress out of this one such that I could field it as either an Annihilation Barge or a Catacomb Command Barge, the ride for this guy:

I've got a Triarch Stalker that's like 75% done, also magnetized to gently caress so I can switch weapon loadouts:

But then I started playing Infinity and lost pretty much all interest in 40K. :(