Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not so much that the FeMC links are that great (Junpei is good though) but more that the male-exclusive links are that bad. Also don't forget that if you want to max everything you need to go the harem route.

P4 has the stronger NPCs at least. Nobody outside of the main party in P3 could really compare to the Dojimas or some of the school links.

The fem route at least lets you s. link with your whole party. Like when you're playing as the male, you want to bro it up with Junpei, but no, you have to hang out with this fucker who wants to bang his teacher instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is my first time hearing about that Kickstarter vaporware.

Sounds like a real... unsung story.

:downsrim:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ROFL Octopus posted:

The fem route at least lets you s. link with your whole party. Like when you're playing as the male, you want to bro it up with Junpei, but no, you have to hang out with this fucker who wants to bang his teacher instead.

And then you make the teacher want to bang you by playing an MMO with her. It's amazing and I love it so much. Especially with the added ending where you get to confront her.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

And then you make the teacher want to bang you by playing an MMO with her. It's amazing and I love it so much. Especially with the added ending where you get to confront her.

That's such a wonderful moment too, because it happens in the big hazy golden "go talk to all your friends" Earthbound-esque ending sequence and you can just casually drop a bomb on a teacher that she's been hitting on one of her students before you stroll out to go lay your head in your robot waifu's lap.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That's such a wonderful moment too, because it happens in the big hazy golden "go talk to all your friends" Earthbound-esque ending sequence and you can just casually drop a bomb on a teacher that she's been hitting on one of her students before you stroll out to go lay your head in your robot waifu's lap.

Not to mention during her S-Link she talked about having a crush on one of her students not realizing who it is she's talking to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really liked P3P and P4 and then tried Persona 1 and Nocturne and didn't like either of those. That's my terrible opinion.

Here's hoping P5 is good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I really liked P3P and P4 and then tried Persona 1 and Nocturne and didn't like either of those. That's my terrible opinion.

First person dungeon crawling and dungeon map design as handled in those games is an abomination unto god. Also the only good SMT games are the non-mainline ones where I dont need to collect or fuse demons and i will defend the shitheaps that are the Raidou Kuzunoha games.

FFX13-2 is my least favorite numbered FF game in large part due to even just having monster mechanics and I cant get into World of Final Fantasy for the same reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember the encounter rate in Persona 1 feeling really abundant too, like I was playing Tales of Destiny PSX again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

If you liked P3P and P4 I really have a hard time imagining you disliking P5.

I'm sure there will be people who dislike P5 but barring like a complete making GBS threads-the-bed on the translation or something I feel like anyone who likes the P3/P4 style will enjoy it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 25, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Nocturne is still damned great, though the encounter rate can be kind of...uh...infuriating.

Nocturne though has such slick art design, to the point that even as dated as its graphics are now, it still looks good. It has the best use of the SMT "morality" system, breaking away from the binary Law/Chaos dichotomy to great effect.

They've attempted to return to the classic style with more nuance but it still feels heavily weighted towards Neutral. Nocturne is the same in that regard, but at the same time, the three philosophies at conflict by its end feel a bit more nuanced and slightly more appealing than the "rule of the strong" versus "absolute tyranny" general conflict.

And the battle system is choice as well. It's all been done better in future titles, but Nocturne holds up if for nothing else but it's fantastic dungeon design. The Amala Labyrinth is some grueling, glorious maze action and to this day I'd still place any of its five levels up as great examples of dungeon design in gaming.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure there will be people who dislike P5 but barring like a complete making GBS threads-the-bed on the translation or something I feel like anyone who likes the P3/P4 style will enjoy it.

Most of the complaints seem to be the VA's being terrible from what I've seen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I would say that would be a more significant issue if they weren't offering Japanese DLC at launch and the Japanese voice cast is like 90% frigging great. (It'll probably hurt them somewhat in that I know not everyone wants to JP voice it up but at least there's an option.)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Tae posted:

isn't that what people who listen to the JA VA's literally always say?

Like I read someone say that Mitsuru had a bad voice actor at some point and then stopped listening to VA opinions.

I personally feel like people go with what they like, I like understanding the weird little vocal nuances :shrug: so english for me.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Persona 2 (both of them) will be easier for you to get into. The visuals don't hold up to 2 3 and 4. but it's pretty good from what I remember.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Barudak posted:

First person dungeon crawling and dungeon map design as handled in those games is an abomination unto god. Also the only good SMT games are the non-mainline ones where I dont need to collect or fuse demons and i will defend the shitheaps that are the Raidou Kuzunoha games.

FFX13-2 is my least favorite numbered FF game in large part due to even just having monster mechanics and I cant get into World of Final Fantasy for the same reason.

I thought the same going into 13-2 but it ended up being so loving cool having a rainbow of chocobos that could kick anythings rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

isn't that what people who listen to the JA VA's literally always say?

Like I read someone say that Mitsuru had a bad voice actor at some point and then stopped listening to VA opinions.

I personally feel like people go with what they like, I like understanding the weird little vocal nuances :shrug: so english for me.

It is said a lot but I do have to say that at very least Ryuji's english actor is way way weaker than his Japanese actor based off the preview footage, and that is pretty significant because Ryuji's Japanese actor completely sells the character. I'm hoping the preview footage is just misleading because Ryuji is one of the characters I feel like they really have to sell to make it work.

(Morgana is another but I think English Morgana sounds fine enough.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tae posted:

I'm one of the dudes who was complaining and they're not terrible by any means, it's just that they didn't get Ben Diskin for Ryuji and I'm still mad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SectumSempra posted:

Persona 2 (both of them) will be easier for you to get into. The visuals don't hold up to 2 3 and 4. but it's pretty good from what I remember.
I can't just jump into the P2 games without finishing Persona 1. It's against my nature.

ImpAtom posted:

If you liked P3P and P4 I really have a hard time imagining you disliking P5.

That's good to hear. I've tried to avoid reading too much about P5 because I don't want to have too many preconceptions going into it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I can't just jump into the P2 games without finishing Persona 1. It's against my nature.
That's good to hear. I've tried to avoid reading too much about P5 because I don't want to have too many preconceptions going into it.

persona 1 and 2 aren't linked.

It's like final fantasy lol.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SectumSempra posted:

persona 1 and 2 aren't linked.

It's like final fantasy lol.
Really? I thought I read they were.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A friendly reminder that Persona 2 is loving dope. Even with a PSX-era translation, it has some of the best NPC dialogue in any game ever. If you wanted to play a game where every time you visit the sushi shop everyone is passionately discussing the meaning of fatherhood in the modern world, this is the game for you.

I'd spend about an hour between each dungeon just revisiting every shop (and every shop is unique with its own shopkeeper) just to hear the NPC dialogue. Digital Devil Saga is also great about this, especially DDS2, where most everyone has an opinion on the human condition that changes over the course of the story.

NPC dialogue is really really important, and most RPGs forget this, but SMT games have always had extremely lively supporting and ancilliary casts, and indeed much of the story, atmosphere and emotional impact is found in seemingly incidental dialogue.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Raxivace posted:

It's loose and if you want to get on that level of the story, then persona's 1 2 3 and 4 along with arena are technically connected.

edit- ok yeah protagonists are the same.

I'll be honest I didn't finish p1 but it didn't change or effect my enjoyment of p2.

innocent sin and eternal punishment (persona 2 games) are kinda even more directly linked if that makes sense.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Persona 1 and Persona 2 are explicitly connected (Characters from 1 are in 2.) Persona 3 and onward are loosely connected to 1 and 2 but only loosely. (Small cameos and references.)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is said a lot but I do have to say that at very least Ryuji's english actor is way way weaker than his Japanese actor based off the preview footage, and that is pretty significant because Ryuji's Japanese actor completely sells the character. I'm hoping the preview footage is just misleading because Ryuji is one of the characters I feel like they really have to sell to make it work.

(Morgana is another but I think English Morgana sounds fine enough.)

Now I'm intrigued, is it a shift in personality entirely or something?

or is it more in delivery

and most importantly

is it KH2 aerith bad. Thats pretty much the only time and english VA has been so bad I laughed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

Now I'm intrigued, is it a shift in personality entirely or something?

or is it more in delivery

It's mostly in delivery. Ryuji is really passionate and angry and Mamoru Miyano owns the hell out of that element of him whereas Max Mittelman sounds a bit too subdued for my tastes. It might just be bad takes or cutting though, I'm more than willing to give it a shot in context.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do you know who's bad? Most of Edgy and Logy.

Logy is really loving awful, whoever directed Linca should be fired if he wasn't already. And the spelling errors, good god.I guess that's what happens when you have dynasty warrior people trying to localize an rpg.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Do you know who's bad? Most of Edgy and Logy.

Logy is really loving awful, whoever directed Linca should be fired if he wasn't already. And the spelling errors, good god.I guess that's what happens when you have dynasty warrior people trying to localize an rpg.

Yeah, K-T's localizations are extremely low quality. It's frustrating that nobody else can get their hands on Atelier because they'd benefit a ton from better translations.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Persona 5 is on FFXV treatment for me where I have no idea what the gently caress is going to happen right now, and I've avoided everything besides the trailer that showed off that loving gorgeous ui.

Unlike FFXV however I'm already confident that 5 will at the very least be as good as p4.

( I will note though, relating to last pages discussion, I didn't began to dislike p4's characters until the extra content {anime, persona 4 arena} made Yu and in part yosuke dis-likable for me)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Persona 2 is cool and good because one of the major antagonists is Hitler in shades.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, K-T's localizations are extremely low quality. It's frustrating that nobody else can get their hands on Atelier because they'd benefit a ton from better translations.

Just clone the xseed and 8-4 crews a bunch, english game loc fixed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ROFL Octopus posted:

Persona 2 is cool and good because one of the major antagonists is Hitler in shades.

I'm pretty sure he didn't even have shades in the original, he just has this great big poo poo eating grin.

Of course, the truth is that the REAL villain is Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos, who takes the form of Hitler who them transforms into a monster that is an amalgamation of the party members' various insecurities relating to their fathers. No, I'm not making this up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean they got Linca kinda right in Ayesha, but they completely poo poo the bed on her character in the direct sequel for whatever reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean they got Linca kinda right in Ayesha, but they completely poo poo the bed on her character in the direct sequel for whatever reason.

IIRC Ayesha was the last one that Nippon-Ichi had any translation assistance on. Since then Atelier games have been done entirely by K-T (and their translation quality has suffered comparatively! Atelier Shallie literally released with a game-breaking bug. Not that NISA is a stranger to that...)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nocturne is still damned great, though the encounter rate can be kind of...uh...infuriating.

Nocturne though has such slick art design, to the point that even as dated as its graphics are now, it still looks good. It has the best use of the SMT "morality" system, breaking away from the binary Law/Chaos dichotomy to great effect.

They've attempted to return to the classic style with more nuance but it still feels heavily weighted towards Neutral. Nocturne is the same in that regard, but at the same time, the three philosophies at conflict by its end feel a bit more nuanced and slightly more appealing than the "rule of the strong" versus "absolute tyranny" general conflict.

And the battle system is choice as well. It's all been done better in future titles, but Nocturne holds up if for nothing else but it's fantastic dungeon design. The Amala Labyrinth is some grueling, glorious maze action and to this day I'd still place any of its five levels up as great examples of dungeon design in gaming.

Nocturne is a game I really want to finish and love, because it really does check so many boxes for me both aesthetically and gameplay-wise, but it's in this awkward state where it's just barely too old-feeling for me to get into. The later PS2 Megatens, Persona 3 in particular, introduced just enough streamlining and efficiency that I just can't go back and play it. Honestly, just... give me the Compendium for the original playthrough or something andnI'm golden.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC Ayesha was the last one that Nippon-Ichi had any translation assistance on. Since then Atelier games have been done entirely by K-T (and their translation quality has suffered comparatively! Atelier Shallie literally released with a game-breaking bug. Not that NISA is a stranger to that...)

I'm still pissed about how they managed to launch Totori Plus on PSN with literally no announcement. The weird translation mistakes and inconsistencies and the bug in Shallie were just icing on the cake.

Sophie is on sale on PSN and I'm trying to decide whether to buy it. They're porting Sophie and Firis to steam too.

That said, K-T is bringing Opoona back for a Musou game though so I'm contractually obligated to love them. I miss Opoona.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

That there might be the dumbest thing I've read. The only mod you need to enjoy FF8...

...is Mods de Chocobo. :coal:

The mod you need to enjoy FF8 is the uninstall function.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Grozz Nuy posted:

The mod you need to enjoy FF8 is the uninstall function.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah, you save that for bad games.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF8 is really fun. I just don't understand why that weird JRPG minigame takes up so much time when I just want to get back to playing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Just finally made the time to read through this and a lot of the comments. That blows. Ascendency is a really solid LCG I've personally enjoyed and now I almost feel bad about it because Playdek has been working on it while Unsung Story sat in weird purgatory this whole time.

Raxivace posted:

FF8 is really fun. I just don't understand why that weird JRPG minigame takes up so much time when I just want to get back to playing cards.

You can play FF8 in FF14 now too!