Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

Actually, it was the final launch stage in the first shot, and the landing stage in the second. Apollo changed configuration in the later stages of the journey. The landing module was well inside, protected, for the launch.
That's not the Apollo third stage in the first shot. It goes past quick, but it's much too short to be the top of the Saturn (which was also white, not bare metal). It's the CM/SM.

And don't get me started on the VLA.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
As if the tagline for the new movie is "Rethink Your Heroes".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lord Krangdar posted:

As if the tagline for the new movie is "Rethink Your Heroes".

Yes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
letitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrue...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Snowman_McK posted:

letitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrueletitbetrue...

It is!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Michael Bay since you're reading this thread I just want to say thanks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:yeah:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I want to tell him that he's very tall.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I'm really wondering if Cybertron and Unicron are one and the same in this movie. Because that's kind of interesting if true.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Michael, also, check out the other thread, we think you should call Will Smith because he keeps making poo poo movies. If you could get the ball rolling on Bad Boys 3 that'd be awesome, we love you.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Perhaps I imagined it but BB3 is next year, isn't it? But Bay's only producing this time...

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Sentinel Red posted:

Perhaps I imagined it but BB3 is next year, isn't it? But Bay's only producing this time...

There's a BB3 and a BB4 in the works for 2018 and 2019 respectively.

I don't know how reliable IMDB is, but they have Bay as producer on 4. He isn't mentioned on 3.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

mbisonyes.gif

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I am excited. I wonder then if they will make Megatron the 'reformed' hero after the infection from the Fallen has been purged.

Curious too if they are just going to murder Hot Rod.

Edit:

I will laugh so hard if Hot Rod is built up only for Prime to eviscerate him one blow and the final show down is Megatron and Prime, but Megatron wants to defend Earth for some reason.

Bay making us root for the vagina faced villain while the hero with the giant magical penis is the true enemy.

Please let this happen.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 14, 2016

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Big fan of the burnt out bumblebee arm on the RHS

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I guess 'DON'T YOU FUCKS GET IT? PLEASE GET IT. PLEASE' was a bit too long for a tagline.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm glad they remembered (maybe?) that they blew up/wrecked the Transformers home planet, I've always felt bad for Cybertron :shobon:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't believe this may well be 'yes, hey, your hero was a monster' pretty much spelled out.

Thank you Michael Bay.

Snowman_McK posted:

I guess 'DON'T YOU FUCKS GET IT? PLEASE GET IT. PLEASE' was a bit too long for a tagline.

:agreed:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Can I get a summary on the Optimus as monster thing? I've read the 100 page pdf but it's been a while. I also haven't seen the movies in a long time.

Like, I know he rips faces and executes people but I'm pretty sure it's deeper than that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Optimus is repeatedly revealed to be lying to the humans about why the Autobots are on earth, and it's eventually revealed that the Autobots were allied with tyrannical Prime leaders whom the Decepticons were rebelling against.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Optimus is repeatedly revealed to be lying to the humans about why the Autobots are on earth, and it's eventually revealed that the Autobots were allied with tyrannical Prime leaders whom the Decepticons were rebelling against.

So The Last Knight is really Megatron? :smug:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Two more questions. Why were the Autobots on earth? And who are the prime leaders?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UmOk posted:

Two more questions. Why were the Autobots on earth? And who are the prime leaders?

T1: The cube landed on Earth by chance
T2: The Primes built a star eater on Egypt by chance
T3: Sentinel crashed on the moon by chance
T4: Remnants of the previous 3 movies are still on Earth + Lockdown's ship.

T5: Will try to explain how all of that was NOT chance :lol:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

UmOk posted:

In TF1, the Autobots were there to stop Megatron from getting the Allspark because Optimus claims that Megatron would use it to kill everyone on Earth. It is important to note that Prime also lies about the capabilities of the Allspark and his gambit to shoot it into his chest. Anyway, TF2 indicates that Megatron wanted it to restore power to Cybertron and to save the lives of the robot babies. However, almost every film gives a different reason for the Autobots being on Earth and Optimus often changes the story for what had happened on Cybertron.

The Primes were incredibly powerful robots who were the leaders and deities of the Transformer race. They killed themselves trying to stop The Fallen (basically Robo-Satan). How this meshes with the Transformers being explicitly built by another species in TF4 is unclear at this point. Optimus Prime both is and isn't one of those 'Primes'.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
How is he not a Prime?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

In TF1, the Autobots were there to stop Megatron from getting the Allspark because Optimus claims that Megatron would use it to kill everyone on Earth. It is important to note that Prime also lies about the capabilities of the Allspark and his gambit to shoot it into his chest. Anyway, TF2 indicates that Megatron wanted it to restore power to Cybertron and to save the lives of the robot babies. However, almost every film gives a different reason for the Autobots being on Earth and Optimus often changes the story for what had happened on Cybertron.

The Primes were incredibly powerful robots who were the leaders and deities of the Transformer race. They killed themselves trying to stop The Fallen (basically Robo-Satan). How this meshes with the Transformers being explicitly built by another species in TF4 is unclear at this point. Optimus Prime both is and isn't one of those 'Primes'.

So do we not know the actual reason for the Autobots being on Earth? Or is it just assumed they want to fight stuff?

Also how were the primes tyrannical? Are they the guys that Shia met in Transformers Heaven?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Maarak posted:

How is he not a Prime?

He looks nothing like them, for starters.

Like, there's the Primes who are Sentinel and Optimus - where it's seemingly a rank. But the Primes ala The Fallen are like a separate breed with unique powers and abilities. Optimus is not one of them, because they all died to try and stop the Fallen... except the Fallen claims he is.

The big problem with ROTF is that it is a shockingly bad script, like first draft level material. It's confusing with the exact relationship between Optimus Prime and the Prime-species being very unclear. Then you have Sentinel Prime. Apparently, only a Prime can kill a Prime (ROTF) but crippled, addled Megatron basically does in Sentinel.

It's also confusing because Optimus Prime is referred to as a 'Knight' of the Creator species where he was supposed to be an explorer for them.

Who knows, but TF5 seems to be intent on explaining all this, so...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

UmOk posted:

So do we not know the actual reason for the Autobots being on Earth? Or is it just assumed they want to fight stuff?

The principle Autobots arrived on Earth to chase down the Allspark and "keep it from Megatron". Optimus also tried to get Sam to plug it into his chest, claiming that would be enough, and didn't seem to like how it was shoved into Megatron's chest. With that done, they remained to 'safeguard' Earth from the Decepticons and they refuse to leave when asked, despite claiming that humanity has a right to self-determinate. Multiple human characters point out that the Decepticons are only remaining on Earth because the Autobots are there. Optimus is also big on manipulating humanity like a domestic abuser, such as his ploy with the rocket in TF3, in order to remain relevant and important.

However, prior to TF1, there were Cybertronians on Earth such as Jetfire and, of course, Megatron.

quote:

Also how were the primes tyrannical? Are they the guys that Shia met in Transformers Heaven?

Yes, but we don't really know much about them. The Fallen was seemingly basically Lucifer. It was assumed (or maybe directly stated?) that they were the progenitors of the Transformers species, but TF4 seems to indicate that it is a lie.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I'd also like to point out that all jokes aside, the reason Optimus rips off the Fallen's face is because his face was used to create the Decepticon icon according to some supplementary material. Optimus is basically going to the logical end point of pulling down statues of dictators.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No, in the movies he's just obsessed with destroying faces. It's not something he targets on the Fallen in particular. Dude is a face wrecker, he's got skulls to peel, now give me your FACE

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Milky Moor posted:

The big problem with ROTF is that it is a shockingly bad script, like first draft level material.

From what I recall it's because it basically was. Unless I heard wrong it got made during the writers strike and really was an unrefined, draft level script that they said gently caress it and worked with anyways because they had no one around to really clean it up.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, the first bot to take an impromptu facial reconstruction from Optimus is Bonecrusher in TF1. And both Demolishor and Grindor in TF2.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zebulon posted:

From what I recall it's because it basically was. Unless I heard wrong it got made during the writers strike and really was an unrefined, draft level script that they said gently caress it and worked with anyways because they had no one around to really clean it up.

From what I know, the script was written around a list of locations they had permission to shoot at/in during the strike, yeah.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

From what I know, the script was written around a list of locations they had permission to shoot at/in during the strike, yeah.

They hastily wrote the script then Bay took over and did whatever the gently caress he wanted. Once the writer's strike ended the writers came back to try to salvage things. By then Bay and hasbro had added new transformers and poo poo based on where they could shoot and what cards they had available.

ROTF is the hell final level for Hollywood Writer: The Game.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They hastily wrote the script then Bay took over and did whatever the gently caress he wanted. Once the writer's strike ended the writers came back to try to salvage things. By then Bay and hasbro had added new transformers and poo poo based on where they could shoot and what cards they had available.

ROTF is the hell final level for Hollywood Writer: The Game.

Megan Fox showing off her rear end on that motorcycle saved the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We are getting a Superbowl trailer.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/transformers-the-last-knight-ghost-in-the-shell-super-bowl-tv-spots-1201898501/

Meanwhile, take a moment to vote for Cybertron's next Prime. This has nothing to do with the movies (as far as we know), I just love these Hasbro fan votes.

(Unknown Evil is this guy: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Deathsaurus)

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can't say I'm surprised that it's a boring line-up of contenders. It would have been interesting to see a Shockwave Prime or Arcee Prime.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

like hell am i not voting for someone named deathsaurus

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

like hell am i not voting for someone named deathsaurus

He and Star Saber is from one of the more Japanese parts of G1, with Star Saber transforming from a space jet into a Gundam and Deathsaurus transforming into a kaiju.

In the recent IDW comics, Star Saber is a genocidal religious zealot while Deathsaurus cares about the welfare of his army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The MSJ posted:

He and Star Saber is from one of the more Japanese parts of G1, with Star Saber transforming from a space jet into a Gundam and Deathsaurus transforming into a kaiju.

In the recent IDW comics, Star Saber is a genocidal religious zealot while Deathsaurus cares about the welfare of his army.

okay you're selling me on star saber pretty hard here