Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

buttcrackmenace posted:

watched Demon last night

"in exchange for fuel lets clone and abandon a large percentage of the crew on this barren, desolate planet"

also : they literally refuel the ship with the blood of a (now) sentient being :stare:

The most Janeway of solutions.

The sequel was nice and dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm sure in a few years Data's petabytes of memory will seem quaint too.

Ehhh, those petabytes are still all crammed into his head, along with all the computational power and personality hardware too, and he's not emitting like a kilowatt of thermal energy when he's thinking hard. That's going to be impressive for a good long while still.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
My new SOONIAN XB4 rig has a kickass liquid cooling system plus I put acrylic panels on his scalp so you can see all the sweet lights and poo poo

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

VectorSigma posted:

"billions of calculations per second"

a thing i have for video games can do that. trillions, actually.

It's pretty complicated calculations, though. It's sort of like how someone speculated the Michael Bay Transformers might have incredibly powerful brains, but it's rendered useless because most of their resources is spent controlling every last transforming and spinning cog on their body from going haywire.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Scientific Method;

Out-of-phase aliens experiment on the crew in what has some genuinely creepy moments from Seven's perspective seeing the poo poo they're doing to the crew. Their big mistake was their experiment on Janeway; They tried to make her even more psychotic.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 24, 2016

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scientific Method;

Out-of-phase aliens experiment on the crew in what has some genuinely creepy moments from Seven's perspective seeing the poo poo they're doing to the crew. They're big mistake was their experiment on Janeway; They tried to make her even more psychotic.

Apparently they never learned the phrase, "never poo poo a shitter."

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ehhh, those petabytes are still all crammed into his head, along with all the computational power and personality hardware too, and he's not emitting like a kilowatt of thermal energy when he's thinking hard. That's going to be impressive for a good long while still.

Whys everything gotta be in the head? Stick that poo poo in the chest cavity.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whys everything gotta be in the head? Stick that poo poo in the chest cavity.

*shrug* Riker carted Data's head down to Engineering in Disaster so we know he doesn't need the rest of the body to be Data

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
Riker also discovered that he is not lacking in ports when he's a head

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

Riker also discovered that he is not lacking in ports when he's a head

that's not a way to get a head in life

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Man I know it's because they were written in the late 80's to the mid 90's but where are all the gay people in the Federation? Is Discovery going to be super gay or are they gonna just roll with "Everyone is Star Trek is straight as gently caress, even that blob of snot that spends half his time as a bird is looking for some poon."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 24, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The answer is what you said. Theres s ds9 ep with a lesbian kiss though and it caused a massive meltdown in real life.

Also though. How often did sexuality come up in star trek really? Not much. Im gayer than straight and ive never given a poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek is asexual as hell, that's why it sticks out when the characters act like normal human beings and plow. Thread memes aside, Riker is no more sexually active than the average 20-something millennial, but every TNG character treats him like a horny sex-god. He's even the go-to advice guy for idiots like Data, Wesley, and Geordi just because he fucks every now and then.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

basic hitler posted:

The answer is what you said. Theres s ds9 ep with a lesbian kiss though and it caused a massive meltdown in real life.

Also though. How often did sexuality come up in star trek really? Not much. Im gayer than straight and ive never given a poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek is asexual as hell, that's why it sticks out when the characters act like normal human beings and plow. Thread memes aside, Riker is no more sexually active than the average 20-something millennial, but every TNG character treats him like a horny sex-god. He's even the go-to advice guy for idiots like Data, Wesley, and Geordi just because he fucks every now and then.

Not in TNG but people were fuckin or talkin about fuckin on DS9 all the time. One episode ends with Bashir embarrassed as he patches some Lady klingon, Quark, Dax and worf up from a night of super rough Klingon sex.

Another opens with Sisko talking to a slightly injured Dax about how maybe she should try to go easier on Worf.

Not to mention all the weird Ferengi ear masturbation jokes, Jadzia talking to the major about all the weird aliens she's been with (Captain Boday and his transparent skull comes up in multiple episodes), the vacations on Risa or half of Odo's plotlines being about him kind of wanting to gently caress a lady and maybe this time it'll be Major Kira. Quark specializes in making and selling sexy hologram programs and that's so well known an episodes B plot was an alien creeper trying to pay him to make a sexy Major Kira hologram. Also there's everything about Mirror Universe Kira and Ezri Dax.

So I guess I mean they got more liberal with it as time went on, so I wonder if Destiny is gonna continue the trend or try and roll it back to TNG levels of 'Politeness'

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 24, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
For anyone that really enjoys the creepy Geordie episodes: go and watch Passengers.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I saw passengers on a whim because hey, why not.

You're a monster, Chris Pratt.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

After watching the Bajoran Coup in which the Cardassians supplied the Weapons and Vedek Wynn is the most disgusting shitbag this side of the Delta Quadrant. I suspect even the Borg Queen is a nicer person than Wynn.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

For me the worst part of that episode was that somehow four starved Bajoran prisoners with just one phaser between them held off a dozen armed, fed, Cardassian prison guards, for hours, after O'Brien and Kira rescued Li Nalas and flew him back to DS9. That little throwaway line Sisko gives about the prisoners left behind currently being on their way home breaks my Bajoran-hating heart.

I really wanted them to have been shot to bits and returned in coffins the size of a yamok sauce packet. Imagine how restrained those graceful Cardassian guards had to have been to keep them alive for an entire extra year given all the problems with Bajoran prisoners killing each other over petty squabbles like those oft observed at the Gallitep College Institute for Mining Research and Day Care.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

You'd think the existence of things like anesthezine gas and phasers with wide-beam stun settings would just make hostage situations and police standoffs impossible

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

...and the pitch! posted:

Persis Khambatta is a hell of a name.

Megaforce is the superior Persis Khambatta movie.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sunswipe posted:

Megaforce is the superior Persis Khambatta movie.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

I really wanted them to have been shot to bits and returned in coffins the size of a yamok sauce packet. Imagine how restrained those graceful Cardassian guards had to have been to keep them alive for an entire extra year given all the problems with Bajoran prisoners killing each other over petty squabbles like those oft observed at the Gallitep College Institute for Mining Research and Day Care.

You know, the Series wants you to think that the Gallitep Thing is Cardassian Propaganda. but seeing as those people elect a thirteen year old girl as their village leader and it almost erupts in Civil War, get spooked by a mystical Energy Ghost that can be banished by Unity, and then fall for the most transparent Coup by the most evil people on the Planet, one of whom is so evil that she is linked to everything bad that happens to the Planet and gets posessed by the DEVIL....

I'm pretty sure the Bajorans ate each other and sold each other out for the tiniest favors during the occupation. I bet they just rationalized it as the Prophets Plan(tm) for their Survival.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
btw I banged your mom okay byee

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i banged a friend's mom once and then sent her a message at 3am telling her i banged her mom

felt good

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

VectorSigma posted:

i banged a friend's mom once and then sent her a message at 3am telling her i banged her mom

felt good

I'm only telling you this because you seem like a cool guy, but don't go into any haunted caves.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Volcott posted:

I'm only telling you this because you seem like a cool guy, but don't go into any haunted caves.

You mean the fire caves? Cause the only fire caves I know of don't have any fire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

holy poo poo I need to see this

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

drat right you do.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

there's a rifftrax if you can't take it straight

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

FuturePastNow posted:

You'd think the existence of things like anesthezine gas and phasers with wide-beam stun settings would just make hostage situations and police standoffs impossible

Not to mention, you know, transporters.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Not to mention, you know, transporters.

And the TRANSPORTER GAT.

(Warning: the transporter gat is terrible. It really doesn't have any use at all. Please stop replicating it. - Starfleet)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish in situations like those they'd toss a quick line about "they've set up a transporter dampener" or "they've obviously taken [space drug name] to be immune to most common knock out gases" or what ever. Just the odd throw away line about personal jammers or fields or what ever would excuse a lot.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

there's a rifftrax if you can't take it straight

Why would you need that?

pomery
Oct 19, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I wish in situations like those they'd toss a quick line about "they've set up a transporter dampener" or "they've obviously taken [space drug name] to be immune to most common knock out gases" or what ever. Just the odd throw away line about personal jammers or fields or what ever would excuse a lot.

Aren't gas attacks against federation regulations? And I can't imagine klingons gassing their enemies, no honor in it and such

Besides more lines means they might have to pay a random extra to speak instead of stand around.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A Klingon would say that hostages have a duty to attack their hostage-taker and either free themselves or earn an honorable death.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

FuturePastNow posted:

A Klingon would say that hostages have a duty to attack their hostage-taker and either free themselves or earn an honorable death.

Yeah exactly. When taken prisoner, Klingons must kill themselves--but only after having exhausted all opportunities to fight, as Martok and Worf showed us.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Holy poo poo, I forgot this scene, and it is a magical one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMPL3D5wKU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So in Canada, Space is running a boxing week star trek marathon with every show and film. Except DS9 is only being played early in the morning so they can cram more voyager episodes into their time slots. It's like they don't want anyone else to watch the show. Well, I suppose Enterprise has an even worse time slot. I'm totally waking up at 6:00am to watch the stupid carpenter street episode.