Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

see the problem i have with this is "do X first, and then do X+Y later", which IME always becomes "do X first and then forget to do Y later" if my track record with chores and life choices mean anything

you could probably do them simultaneously as long as you actually did follow through with the economic policy, my phrasing wasn't meant to be so absolute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

by the time the dems have finally agreed that although a strong economic message is important it is also important to build and retain the enthusiasm of racial minorities President Barron Trump II will be in a very vulnerable political position given strong bipartisan dissatisfaction with his moon-man policy.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

by the time the dems have finally agreed that although a strong economic message is important it is also important to build and retain the enthusiasm of racial minorities President Barron Trump II will be in a very vulnerable political position given strong bipartisan dissatisfaction with his moon-man policy.

Sorry but I can't bring myself to vote against FULL COMMUNISM, why doesn't the DNC try to meet me halfway?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zegermans posted:

Sorry but I can't bring myself to vote against FULL COMMUNISM, why doesn't the DNC try to meet me halfway?

Worked for the Republicans.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

all i want for christmas is full communism now

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I posted in some "Reform the Democratic Party" group about how the Dems could use their giant GOTV/messaging apparatus to pledge support of every striking or fired-for-striking worker. We could unionize every business in the state. But the first reply was how we can't accomplish anything until more Dems are elected.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Theyd rather do this kind of poo poo

god it's loving gross

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

platzapS posted:

god it's loving gross

because it's easy yet meaningless platitudes that make themselves look good to absolutely nobody but themselves

and it lets them avoid doing anything about the hard stuff

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Race Realists posted:

this type of head-in-the-sand bullshit is why the negrotown thread exists

No, it's divide & conquer. ID Pol and EC Pol are the same poo poo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

platzapS posted:

I posted in some "Reform the Democratic Party" group about how the Dems could use their giant GOTV/messaging apparatus to pledge support of every striking or fired-for-striking worker. We could unionize every business in the state. But the first reply was how we can't accomplish anything until more Dems are elected.

the democrats don't have a giant gotv apparatus. it's rebuilt every election year.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pollyanna posted:

because it's easy yet meaningless platitudes that make themselves look good to absolutely nobody but themselves

they do that because it's how you build email lists.

just like this:

https://go.berniesanders.com/page/s/happy_birthday_bernie

the point is to get your email so they can ask you for stuff, or to do stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

platzapS posted:

god it's loving gross

Pollyanna posted:

it's email lists dudes, literally every single politician since the days when this was phone lists has done stuff like this.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's email lists dudes, literally every single politician since the days when this was phone lists has done stuff like this.

each email account on the list will be cyber-guillotined when the revolution happens

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

and people loving fall for it

how do i get over my disdain for all the people who need to WAKE UP

it's tearing me apart and it isn't attractive

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
yet another cyber-fraud perpetuated on the american people by cyber-clinton

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

platzapS posted:

and people loving fall for it

how do i get over my disdain for all the people who need to WAKE UP

it's tearing me apart and it isn't attractive

settle down alex jones

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Why cant every person be exactly at my level of political knowledge

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
knowledge is worthless and you should strive to have less not worry about other ppl havin more~

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

There's a tendency for people to mean a whole bunch of different things by identity politics. Some people say idpol and mean pushing minority issues in general whereas to other people idpol means specifically stuff like Lena Dunham tweeting about the extinction of white men. Therefore some people hear 'drop identity politics' and assume that must be terrible but to other people it means you still keep pushing minority issues but you drop that kind of dumb and counterproductive poo poo.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

lazorexplosion posted:

There's a tendency for people to mean a whole bunch of different things by identity politics. Some people say idpol and mean pushing minority issues in general whereas to other people idpol means specifically stuff like Lena Dunham tweeting about the extinction of white men. Therefore some people hear 'drop identity politics' and assume that must be terrible but to other people it means you still keep pushing minority issues but you drop that kind of dumb and counterproductive poo poo.

We dont need to drop idpol, we need to drop class-exclusionary idpol, and pick up class-inclusionary idpol that focuses on the class war being waged on the poor and working class, including the disproportionately disenfranchised african american and hispanic population, who are taken advantage of by slum lords, who are forced to work 40 hours a week at a non-living minimum wage, who's infrastructure is falling a part as they watch the social safety net get torn to shreds in favor of "market based solutions", who can't afford the prescriptions their doctors write them.

I feel like the only way you can hold the view that economic mobility and class-struggle arent directly related to the ways minorities are kept disenfranchised is if you've never lived in poor majority-minority neighborhoods.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ace of Baes posted:

We dont need to drop idpol, we need to drop class-exclusionary idpol, and pick up class-inclusionary idpol that focuses on the class war being waged on the poor and working class, including the disproportionately disenfranchised african american and hispanic population, who are taken advantage of by slum lords, who are forced to work 40 hours a week at a non-living minimum wage, who's infrastructure is falling a part as they watch the social safety net get torn to shreds in favor of "market based solutions", who can't afford the prescriptions their doctors write them.

I feel like the only way you can hold the view that economic mobility and class-struggle arent directly related to the ways minorities are kept disenfranchised is if you've never lived in poor majority-minority neighborhoods.

or are completely delusional

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
social justice people really just need to stop looking at homeless disabled veterans and going "oh look, another white man having a sad"

really social justice in general is just incredibly flawed now, we need to move away from it and toward a more inclusive mindset and the wind is already blowing in that direction

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Pollyanna posted:

people who rant about idpol taking up too much time remind me of people complaining about PC culture which is really the crux of it for me

Wow, how are we so :agreed: on this?

I don't always agree with you, but when I do,

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

my problem with idpol as practiced by the dems currently is that it's completely shallow. how can you honestly claim to support racial justice when a prominent dem mayor sits on a video of a police shooting so he has an easier time of getting reelected? ditto for allowing the army corps of engineers to gently caress over native americans yet again by building pipelines close to them. ditto for not supporting gay marriage until it finally became politically expedient to do so.

the democrats devotion to idpol is rarely more than lip service

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Segmentation Fault posted:

social justice people really just need to stop looking at homeless disabled veterans and going "oh look, another white man having a sad"

really social justice in general is just incredibly flawed now, we need to move away from it and toward a more inclusive mindset and the wind is already blowing in that direction

Thanks reddit

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

zen death robot posted:

What the gently caress is going on

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

threddit

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The type of people who would look at homeless disabled veterans and go "oh look, another white man having a sad" make up a tiny extreme minority of the the alt-center and getting upset about them is just giving them the attention theyre seeking, people engaging in this kind of behavior should be condemned and then immediately ignored, framing them as a larger part of the left or center left isn't accurate or constructive, if anything it's destructive to the progress of the party.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm part of the incredibly totalitarian alt-f4 movement

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
totalitarianism is a fake idea manufactured to paint all revolting poors as indistinguishable from nazis

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Ace of Baes posted:

The type of people who would look at homeless disabled veterans and go "oh look, another white man having a sad" make up a tiny extreme minority of the the alt-center and getting upset about them is just giving them the attention theyre seeking, people engaging in this kind of behavior should be condemned and then immediately ignored, framing them as a larger part of the left or center left isn't accurate or constructive, if anything it's destructive to the progress of the party.

they might not be doing that exactly but disregarding class as well as certain other identity spectrums (e.g. physical ability) in order to focus on the race/sex/lgbt triumvirate is a documented thing that many of these people do

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
what the hell is the alt-center

alt-right=neo-Nazi who knows memes!!!!

alt-center=????

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
#woke neoliberals who know memes?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Big Fat Iguana posted:

what the hell is the alt-center

alt-right=neo-Nazi who knows memes!!!!

alt-center=????

the alt- suffix basically now just means "how internet you are"

like you know those two-dimensional political graphs with economic policy on one axis and social policy on the other? Well now imagine a third axis that's "internet savvy." That's the alt- poo poo.

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

deadgoon posted:

#woke neoliberals who know memes?

Someone probate me before I have a meltdown over the misuse of the word neoliberal

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.

the alt- suffix basically now just means "how internet you are"

like you know those two-dimensional political graphs with economic policy on one axis and social policy on the other? Well now imagine a third axis that's "internet savvy." That's the alt- poo poo.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard today

Everyone is internet savvy these days even grannies!!

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the idea that you're gonna solve social justice issues by allying with the smart ethical corporations against the dumb evil ones is neoliberal as gently caress

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

deadgoon posted:

the idea that you're gonna solve social justice issues by allying with the smart ethical corporations against the dumb evil ones is neoliberal as gently caress

no see Tracer being gay is so important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes posted:

this word salad precipitates exactly why we need to drop idpol~

if you have to explain it so much to justify it, it isn't worth the hassle in a post truth world

• Locked thread