Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

How dare you say this.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It was never actually good.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That Walliams and Friend thing last night was absolutely shite. It's like every sketch of his career they filmed and left on the cutting room floor because it just didn't work.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The Big Taff Man posted:

Looks like you're a lucky fella as you get the chance to be in the same room as the big taff man two nights running
Are you a Blackpool local or anywhere near it? I've got that whole weekend booked off so I'd quite like some ideas on what to do there aside from "drink and watch wrestling".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerv posted:

The last few have been embarrassing exercises in flogging a dead horse. Should've been left in the 90s

I'll take 'Leaders of the Labour Party' for £200 please Bob.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goatface posted:

It was never actually good.

I agree. The boring adventures of a bad actor.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Some of the mysteries were OK, but David Renwick's attempts at comedy were all absolutely terrible. Remember the episode with the guy who was pretending to be blind so he could feel up women? Oh, how we laughed.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Julio Cruz posted:

Some of the mysteries were OK, but David Renwick's attempts at comedy were all absolutely terrible. Remember the episode with the guy who was pretending to be blind so he could feel up women? Oh, how we laughed.

That was lester freamon from the wire iirc!

Jonathan creek was great. the ones with caroline quentin are still fantastic. It got a bit poo poo when he got a proper job and left the windmill.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

That Walliams and Friend thing last night was absolutely shite.

Much like the rest of his career then.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

atomic gog posted:

It got a bit poo poo when he got a proper job and left the windmill.

poo poo I forgot about that bit.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Gorn Myson posted:

Are you a Blackpool local or anywhere near it? I've got that whole weekend booked off so I'd quite like some ideas on what to do there aside from "drink and watch wrestling".

Get back on the M55 and keep going.

Serious answer: if the weather is nice (lol) the seafront is really good now, and The Blue Room is a very good pub. Don't go to any bars full of cunts on the prom.

I miss our goonmeets there but I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Pissflaps posted:

poo poo I forgot about that bit.

There werent even any murders in the last series!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thehustler posted:

Serious answer: if the weather is nice (lol) the seafront is really good now, and The Blue Room is a very good pub. Don't go to any bars full of cunts on the prom.

Blackpool waterfront in mid-January sounds like a recipe for freezing your bollocks off.

atomic gog posted:

This was the biggest issue I had. If you want to do the Godfather 'they keep pulling me back in' shtick, fine. Hell, it could even work with his wife wanting him to stay away but then she can't help getting drawn in. But all the mysteries were such low-stakes poo poo like "I lost a family picture" that made it impossible to care. Half the appeal was locked-room murders.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 25, 2016

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

thehustler posted:

I grew up in South Bucks and I'm only in Blackpool for a weekend. If "get pissed in one pub and then go watch wrestling" is the one and only option, thats a massive step up from the options I had in my early adulthood. So ta muchly, I'll take that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also go eat at the West Coast Rock Cafe

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has there been any halfway-watchable talking heads moaning, or reminiscing about the past shows they usually put on at this time of year? Like lists of toys we all grew up with or tv that's now embarrassing to watch? They're ok background fodder to remind me of home. I watched the 2 episodes of 'it was alright in the 70s' and I know Big Fat Quiz is on Monday but that's all I've spotted.

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
There was a toys from the past type show on last week or so on the BBC I think, standard talking heads stuff.
I remember it because they got the children of the people who invented stuff like subbuteo, spirograph and meccano on it which was intresting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds perfect. My wife is sleeping/working most of tomorrow and doesn't care for that kind of thing so I'll flick through iPlayer and give it a shot. Cheers!

Afterdark
Sep 27, 2006
Ah found it, it's called "Toys that made Christmas".

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I absolutely love Jonathan Creek and even enjoyed the last crappy series. I had no idea it was coming back. When and on what channel?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Jonathan Creek and the Radio Times

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Jonathan Creek is on BBC1 at 9pm on Wednesday 28th December

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Gorn Myson posted:

I grew up in South Bucks and I'm only in Blackpool for a weekend. If "get pissed in one pub and then go watch wrestling" is the one and only option, thats a massive step up from the options I had in my early adulthood. So ta muchly, I'll take that.

high wycombe is the most exciting place on the planet

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Michelle bladdy Fowler

Poor Wendy Richard would be turning in her grave. She'd never have supported this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Afterdark posted:

Ah found it, it's called "Toys that made Christmas".

Ah thanks! From 2011 so I've probably seen it but I have a bad enough memory that it'll still feel new I'm sure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

atomic gog posted:

I got fed up with the episode where 3 different members of the same family were all murderers in 3 completely distinct circumstances.

And the solution to the mystery was a)bullshit and b)relied on information that was never actually given.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Yesterday's Who was watchable without ever threatening to be outstanding. The rest of the schedule was entirely forgettable.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yesterday's Who was watchable without ever threatening to be outstanding. The rest of the schedule was entirely forgettable.

We had a great night's viewing! Mostly introducing my parents to Taskmaster of on demand.

QI was good too, couldn't be happier for Matt and Susan.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
We went gently caress it to regular TV and just queued up a whole day of ace entertainment:

We had the back to back christmas episodes of:

The Simpsons
Futurama
Bojack Horseman
Black Adder's Christmas Carol
Bottom
Frasier
Friends
Community
Arrested Development
Ren & Stimpy
and more.

Basically, i'd advise everyone do that next year because there's no excuse for how poo poo TV is what with the glut of deent content that's aired over the years.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh sweet jesus how have they butchered Revolting Rhymes this badly.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Euhm,
Does the Jonathan creek-kid from outnumbered look like a bouncer now?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh sweet jesus how have they butchered Revolting Rhymes this badly.

It was awesome, I loved it. They did a good job referencing Quentin Blake's style without awkwardly cloning it.

And the romance angle was cute.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Telly has basically been constantly poo poo ever since the BBC had most of their funding slashed. That's my tv opinions for the year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kin posted:

Bottom

I remember watching the DVD cut of Holy for the first time and finding out it was 5 minutes longer than the aired one. Such a great episode.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, I slapped together a whole bunch of stuff in a day, but next year we could put our heads together and come up with a UK focused Christmas TV lineup.

I was running low on stuff to watch last night and ended up pulling out The league of Gentlemen Christmas special, followed by a Christmas themed episode of Taxi.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My friend who I keep vaguely referencing who worked on People Just Do Nothing told me something that blew my tiny mind the other day.

We were discussing how PJDN Season 1 is now on Netflix, and he said, "well yes; it's there. But they've changed a lot of the music to library tracks due to licensing issues."

Apparently it's very common indeed for this to happen. So it's highly likely that I've seen many films or shows on Netflix that don't have the full original soundtrack.

:aaa:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I suspect that'll be mainly BBC shows - they have some special exemption which allows them to use any music they like in tv shows that won't transfer to Netflix.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, PJDN has had to be changed a lot on Netflix because of all the licensed music used.

Still a great show though. S1 is on Netflix and S3 is on iPlayer right now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I suspect that'll be mainly BBC shows - they have some special exemption which allows them to use any music they like in tv shows that won't transfer to Netflix.

Not so much an exemption as an explicit list of outlets that they ARE allowed to put music on under the terms they have with the... I forget. I wanna say BPI?

But if it's not in there it's not allowed without further clearance work.

Edit: PRS. Anything they manage is counted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Welp. Tonight might be the last ever episode of Time Commanders.

I guess I'll buy the DVD of all of them then when they drop the boxset in a few months from now.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 27, 2016