Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So who got what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Merry Christmas NZpol thread. May your fridge be full of kai and your government free of Key. Or something like that.

/\/\/\/\/\ Socks, underwear, and books. A good Christmas :)

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I got a book about grilling Argentinian style written by a man who has more than one gf and also lives on an island on a lake in remote Patagonian and he burns everything.

I also the The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse And it's loving hilarious.

I got socks as well, which is great. And I made a trifle with sherry and jelly, and I am roasting a chicken, and the missus glazed a ham, and I got some jersey bennes Oamaru potatoes, and some green beans.

It's just me, my new boy, and my gf this Xmas - he is only 3 months old and my family are all down south and all I want to do is have relative quiet and sleep and eat and listen to my son giggle.

We could hear the neighbors kids screeeretching in delight at about 6:30 which was cool. gently caress I am old.

Edit: I forgot, I have some Manuka leaf beer in the fridge which I made myself, and is loving delicious, and I am very proud of it, especially since the recipe was a guess haha

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A copy of the re-issue of Frenching the Bully by The Gits

The BFI's 2K restoration of Abel Gance's 1927 silent epic Napoleon 4-disc blu-ray set

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I got a Wallace and Gromit dvd so now I'm wondering if i need to put my mother in a home.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wallace and Grommet are awesome so you don't need to. Unless you already had it or that was a statement about purchasing physical media in 2016.
My wife thought it was a good idea to give our four year old a water pistol.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Merry Christmas and party like you just don't care!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I got what is effectively an entirely new wardrobe worth of shirts, a videogame and a really good bottle of Whiskey

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I got nothing. Because I specifically asked for nothing. Bernstein Christmas is a crock of poo poo. Merry nothing to you all, gently caress off kindly.

e: phone does some funny poo poo sometimes

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 25, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got a solar charger for my phone, a water bottle and purifier, and beer. Pretty good haul but needs more socks

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I got a picnic backpack, a mug with Shakespeare insults on it, some socks and a new shaving kit. Pretty pleased with it.

I also made a shitload of Tiramisu, Trifle and Duck L'range. Nice to roll up my sleeves again.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I got a frying pan. A set of knives and the new Lee Child. It was a good year. Merry Christmas you grumpy goons

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I got the pleasure of cooking a massive lunch for about 20 people

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I love cooking for people

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I got the pleasure of cooking a massive lunch for about 20 people

We do the breakfast for the extended family. It ducked last year because we did poached eggs for everyone. Much better this year because we just did a pan of two dozen eggs scrambled. Took us 5 years to figure this out.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Spiteski posted:

We do the breakfast for the extended family. It ducked last year because we did poached eggs for everyone. Much better this year because we just did a pan of two dozen eggs scrambled. Took us 5 years to figure this out.

Just cook them the day before and take them out a touch early put in a ice bath. And then reheat on the day in a pot of hot water. Far less stressful.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Guinness book of world records.

Again. Every loving year since I was 17,

I've never liked them, I like trivia not pointless boring facts the majority of which never change. Also the internet killed the need for this at all.

My mother buys them because I like them, because I have a bunch. This year when she comes over I'm going to tell her this.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just woke up from my annual post Christmas lunch food coma.
A good time of the year.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Christmas is a worthless day where people pretend they like their extended family and all sit around in excruciating awkwardness wishing they were dead.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No one told me but now that I have a kid I no longer get presents for myself, so I just enjoy the food and booze now. Though not too much booze because I have to look after a kid. So mostly just food.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah but now you have an excuse to buy all of the cool toys you want but are too old to buy for yourself. For example this year my son got a radio controlled monster truck.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wibbleman posted:

Just cook them the day before and take them out a touch early put in a ice bath. And then reheat on the day in a pot of hot water. Far less stressful.

I also cooked them all breakfast. And now I am cleaning the breakfast dishes because everyone is too loving tired to clean up from nearly 12 hours ago. Fuckers. They'll be sorry once the wrath of Bill English/Paula Bennett is unleashed on their dole-bludging asses.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I won an auction for 10kg of wagyu prime rib.
And I got new socks.
Christmas rules.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My sister got me a huge poster of Lenin standing triumphantly while many, many blimps with PRAVDA written on them fly overhead.

She knows me so well.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Wibbleman posted:

That's something I'll try next time. Poached is still the yummiest. Day before we're already making potato salad and kebabs so easy to add something then. Cheers for the tip.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Midget Fist posted:

Christmas is a worthless day where people pretend they like their extended family and all sit around in excruciating awkwardness wishing they were dead.

:yikes:

It's my second Christmas away from family so I'm just hanging out solo today. I bought a bunch of good beer and food though :unsmith:

merry Christmas goons

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It's not all terrible, I like the people I spent most of the day with, but the christmassy stuff still feels very forced. Also my mum died just over a year ago so this is my second christmas without the one parent who raised me from birth, so yeah I'm a bit salty:( Our second living child was born on the first of the month and while that's a very happy thing, today I'm sad that my mum isn't around to spoil him.

On the plus side I did get some sweet beer which I am now drinking so I feel a bit better.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I won an auction for 10kg of wagyu prime rib.

I am more interested in this than anything else that has happened today, how do I get in on meat auctions?

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Midget Fist posted:

It's not all terrible, I like the people I spent most of the day with, but the christmassy stuff still feels very forced. Also my mum died just over a year ago so this is my second christmas without the one parent who raised me from birth, so yeah I'm a bit salty:( Our second living child was born on the first of the month and while that's a very happy thing, today I'm sad that my mum isn't around to spoil him.

On the plus side I did get some sweet beer which I am now drinking so I feel a bit better.

Sorry to hear it man, that's hard :sympathy: congrats on your wee boy.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

gently caress all of you have kids and stuff, I must be getting old. Summer Christmas is the best but nobody here believes me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

Wallace and Grommet are awesome so you don't need to. Unless you already had it or that was a statement about purchasing physical media in 2016.
My wife thought it was a good idea to give our four year old a water pistol.

My niece who turns 3 in about a week got a fairly fancy water pistol as well. I was having a look at it, and she told me off and took it off of me because "it's for outside."

I would also like to have it put on record that I specifically asked for physical media in 2016, and the 4-disc blu-ray set in particular because I haven't found it available in any other format.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

The Schwa posted:

Sorry to hear it man, that's hard :sympathy: congrats on your wee boy.

Thanks, feeling much better today. Anyone hitting the beaches today? Nice weather for it.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smithersnz posted:

I am more interested in this than anything else that has happened today, how do I get in on meat auctions?

It was at Farro. They were auctioning it off for charity. Meat was supplied by First Light, and from talking to a couple of people, they do this occasionally. http://www.farrofresh.co.nz/bid-for-the-ultimate-piece-of-firstlight-wagyu-beef-support-families-in-need/
I paid $400 for that. Which is well under half price.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Hey goons,

Might be a bit late to get into the investing game, but I was thinking about putting about $5,000-7,500 into an ETF (I wanted to do a diversified index fund but that's a little trickier here) via Smartshares as part of my New Years resolution. All passively managed.

Thoughts?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Midget Fist posted:

Thanks, feeling much better today. Anyone hitting the beaches today? Nice weather for it.

Way too hungover for any of that stuff which sucks cause today is so nice. House sitting the parents place which is great cause they hosted yesterday so me and my girlfriend get to just eat all the awesome leftovers for the next few days

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Midget Fist posted:

We did early morning boxing day sales, and then hit Kariotahi beach. Was real nice. Windy though.

Goons close enough to Kariotahi should go there for a swim these holidays

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

WarpedNaba posted:

Hey goons,

Might be a bit late to get into the investing game, but I was thinking about putting about $5,000-7,500 into an ETF (I wanted to do a diversified index fund but that's a little trickier here) via Smartshares as part of my New Years resolution. All passively managed.

Thoughts?

Private prisons.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

... I can invest in those?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

... I can invest in those?

It's where he financial class belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Under king trump the question shouldn't be "can I?", it should be "why haven't I?"

• Locked thread