Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Isnt it Christmas in Australia already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Furnaceface posted:

It's probably like new year already over there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

My friend gave me permission to open her package of Christmas gifts to me early, as it contains perishables - and she sent homemade Barmbrack, which is deliiiiicious.

I love Christmas, if only for the abundance of food. :3:

Game-wise I'm settling in to enjoy my haul from the xmas gift train and more - which means more Copy Kitty, and staring real hard at Patterna.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Furnaceface posted:

It's already July over there!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Subnautica is the most effective horror game I have at the moment: I just got skittish and twitchy and actually a bit afraid while I was down in these leafy columns poking around and a thing with teeth came at me. :eek:

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
My Dad's from the Czech Republic so we open presents on Christmas Eve and I got Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS!

Whoo-hoo! Something to play after I finish the final Picross 3D puzzle!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphiel posted:

My Dad's from the Czech Republic so we open presents on Christmas Eve and I got Luigi's Mansion for the 3DS!

Whoo-hoo! Something to play after I finish the final Picross 3D puzzle!

It's a shame the online is dead at this point because the 3DS online play was really fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh hey it's after midnight - Merry Christmas, games! :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The division is on sale for a relatively good price, should I buy it? Is The Division fun now? I heard it's fun now??

edit: For the record, I like games in its general genre, I just don't know if it's a good one or not.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you have people to play it with or can find randoms, then the campaign is pretty fun. Otherwise don't bother, it's a pretty typical military cover shooter with some all right linear missions and a dull open world.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

The division is on sale for a relatively good price, should I buy it? Is The Division fun now? I heard it's fun now??

It's fun if you like shooting dudes in the face while gaining better gear to shoot tougher dudes in the face. There's a semblance of a story but that's not the main push. Someone described it as an action RPG wrapped in a third person shooter. Completely soloable but you can group up with goons or random's. Also you don't have to worry about min-maxing unless you want to. Come by the thread for better info. I'd link but phone posting right now.

Edit: turns out I CAN link while phone posting.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795907&pagenumber=76&perpage=40

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 25, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Merry Christmas, you chucklefucks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Merry Christmas, you chucklefucks.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Merry Christmas, ya goofballs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

If you have people to play it with or can find randoms, then the campaign is pretty fun. Otherwise don't bother, it's a pretty typical military cover shooter with some all right linear missions and a dull open world.

Hmmm, okay. The only thing I really know about the game is that you can get guns that are the same gun you already own except it does more damage for some reason, and I've tolerated that in videogames for decades now so I may as well continue to do so.

Wamdoodle posted:

It's fun if you like shooting dudes in the face while gaining better gear to shoot tougher dudes in the face. There's a semblance of a story but that's not the main push. Someone described it as an action RPG wrapped in a third person shooter. Completely soloable but you can group up with goons or random's. Also you don't have to worry about min-maxing unless you want to. Come by the thread for better info. I'd link but phone posting right now.

Edit: turns out I CAN link while phone posting.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795907&pagenumber=76&perpage=40

Thanks, I'll check it out. The only reason I ask is because I heard there's a survival mode now and it's good, and I have virtually no games I want to buy on this sale so hey I might as well look into stuff I don't know much about.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Happy Hanukkah, delicious friends

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my wife knows about my amazon wishlist and got me
ffxv
TLG
River city tokyo rumble
and lol a new and shrink wrapped copy of enslaved journey to the west that i was gonna buy used for 2 dollars one day if bored enough. bless her heart

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

cool wife

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah cool enough to give her the new shantae, a n3ds, and kirby robobot

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what xmas movies is everybody planning on watching? i'm a scrooged guy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Real hurthling! posted:

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah cool enough to give her the new shantae, a n3ds, and kirby robobot

You have chosen wisely.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I used to like Scrooged as a kid but I find it hard to watch anymore. The fairy and Bobcat are kind of funny, I guess.

I should probably play more main quest in Witcher 3 because I haven't even asked the soldiers about Yennifer yet, but I'm having too much fun investigating arson for dwarves and looking for pans for old ladies. Plus I keep finding boxes and flowers in lakes and houses. It's really addicting.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Hmmm, okay. The only thing I really know about the game is that you can get guns that are the same gun you already own except it does more damage for some reason, and I've tolerated that in videogames for decades now so I may as well continue to do so.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The only reason I ask is because I heard there's a survival mode now and it's good, and I have virtually no games I want to buy on this sale so hey I might as well look into stuff I don't know much about.

Oh, Survival is super tense. I'll quote Harkane from the thread after a successful extraction:

Hakarne posted:

Oh my god I just finished the most intense game of survival. I was roaming around the DZ killing named enemies so I could get the Master ranking achievement. On my way out I decide to hit one last LMB boss. I just took out a building with like 4 elites and a named and this one only had 2 elites with a named so I didn't worry much. Big mistake since it was one of those loving spec ops dudes. I kill one of the elites while the fucker starts pushing me back with seeker/turret spam and his buddy starts flanking me. As I'm backing up a patrol of 4 veteran cleaners pops up behind me and starts taking shots. I start running the gently caress out of dodge and get downed after popping a medkit. I hold F and pray while I *barely* rez myself. I start rolling away and am almost immediately downed again. I once again manage to rez myself, and as soon as I get up I pop my shield which saves my loving bacon. I'm on my last sliver of health with my shield up and no medkits with 4 veterans, an elite, and a named firing at me... when 2 red LMB decide they want in as well! Thank loving christ the mask I crafted had the constant regen in last health bar mod or I would've been hosed. I kill one of the red LMBs who was trying to flank me with my pistol and back away from the group that's trying to turbofuck me. Fortunately the named got distracted taking out the veteran cleaners, so I backed away slowly with my shield up then sprinted for a safehouse when I got out of weapon range.

I realized I was probably poo poo out of luck for the master achievement since I was downed, but I decided to push until the last minute to run up my score. I crafted 3 more medkits and went back to finish the named. Fortunately he killed the veterans so it was just him and his elite friend. I pop the elite with my custom m44 and get a few good shots on the named, but he pushes me back into the street again with his turret/seeker spam. I have a really epic running shootout and take the fucker down... then realize I have 6 minutes on the disease timer, 1 medicine left, and I'm at the opposite end of the DZ from where my choice extraction is. I go as far south as I can and realize I either extract in Bryant park or not at all. I say gently caress it, pop my flare and run for elevation. The hunter pops and starts taking potshots at me. I manage to nearly get him down twice but he heals and pushes my poo poo in when I pop up to take a shot. I pop a medkit on my last sliver of health, take a deep breath, and tell myself there's no loving way I'm going to die here after going through all this bullshit. I'm suddenly laser focused - I pop up and nail the son of a bitch right in the head. He drops down and tries to heal in cover, but there's a sliver of his shoulder peeking out from the cover... and I nail it. He's dead.

Problem is, I almost am too. My meds wore off, I have ~1:35 seconds left until I die from infection, and the chopper lands in about 55 seconds. I get flashbacks to a few days ago where I dropped dead in front of the chopper and start panicking. This is going to be drat close. The chopper swoops in and starts setting down. The doors open and I get in with 13 motherfucking seconds left to spare before I drop dead from disease.

...And as soon as I get in, I get the notification for the Master achievement. I squeaked by with a score of 10310 in PVE mode even after getting downed. While that named LMB fucker nearly ruined my run, it's a drat good thing I went back to kill him and his buddy or I wouldn't have made it. Holy gently caress that was amazing, and the most intense moments I think I've ever had in a video game. I almost forgot to take a screenshot before the score screen closed!

Edit: Tips that saved my solo rear end in this run and others.

1) Always have the shield. Always. It is so loving good for retreating or finishing 1-2 problem baddies if poo poo starts going south.
2) Pulse is also drat near a necessity. Some may argue for a heal, but imo it's piddly since you shouldn't be stacking skillpower. Also, if you use pulse you can avoid getting into positions where you need to heal because you know what you're dealing with, which lets you set up your attack properly to avoid getting surprised/flanked.
2) Always craft the extra medkit asap.
3) The custom M44 is your friend. Get good at headshots.
5) The advanced virus filter is your friend. There's a lot of free loot in both the LZ and DZ that people almost never claim because they don't craft the advanced filter. That also lets you go in the subway in the DZ, which also has great loot and easy mobs to kill since they can't flank you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I've been in the mood for MAD MAX: FURY ROAD lately, probably that or Frozen

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
This Christmas I've been mostly in bed with the flu. Ugh. At least I got a 20 euro Steam gift card. (Yay.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

Scrooged is great but I think I'm gonna watch Gremlins because I haven't seen it properly since I was a kid.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well technically Die Hard is a Christmas movie, I'm going to watch that :smuggo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh, Survival is super tense. I'll quote Harkane from the thread after a successful extraction:

My god. Well that basically sold me on the game so thanks!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My brother-in-law gifted me Axiom Verge on Steam and while I was playing it my friend gave me FFIX. Christmas is good :unsmith:

Also goddamn Axiom Verge tries really hard to be NES Metroid but it's pretty good at it. However it's very bad at simulating NES sprite flicker. Like I'm not even sure they knew what sprites are or even why the flicker happens?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

edit: For the record, I like games in its general genre, I just don't know if it's a good one or not.

Timely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfbLGKNfrrU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

However it's very bad at simulating NES sprite flicker. Like I'm not even sure they knew what sprites are or even why the flicker happens?

Keep playing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Elf, Scrooged, and Christmas Vacation. Maybe some Home Alone. Christmas Story used to be my favorite but I've seen it too many times since TNT did the 24 hours of Christmas Story thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Elf, Scrooged, and Christmas Vacation. Maybe some Home Alone. Christmas Story used to be my favorite but I've seen it too many times since TNT did the 24 hours of Christmas Story thing.

yeah i agree. i usually just grab the last 30 mins of it past couple years and skip the rest now.

i was super into it as a kid and read the books its based on but now i'm overloaded

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I was going through some of my old PSX titles a bit ago and found this masterpiece of a cover. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mak0rz posted:

Also goddamn Axiom Verge tries really hard to be NES Metroid but it's pretty good at it. However it's very bad at simulating NES sprite flicker. Like I'm not even sure they knew what sprites are or even why the flicker happens?
Haha, you don't even know. Axiom verge has some very creative weapons.

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
There are so many good games these days they can really just stop making games for the next 10 years and we'll still have backlogs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zaggitz posted:

Oceanhorn is cool but it's pretty simplistic by virtue of being a phone game. What's there is solid all the way through though.

sure, it feels like a handheld zelda in scale but it's still fun and has some good dungeons and stuff. oceanhorn 2 gonna be great

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I played the Gravity Rush 2 demo and made a child fall into the void. 10/10 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Aging Millenial posted:

There are so many good games these days they can really just stop making games for the next 10 years and we'll still have backlogs

Considering that we're at the point where there are almost as many re-releases as there are now actual new games coming out you may get your wish soon enough.

• Locked thread