Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Truant posted:

First time I nearly rage quit AFfO because of the dice, Jesus gently caress. About to do the second playtest with a slight modification, but I'm in a conundrum.

The cat who started the original weekly solo challenges over at BGG said they'd prefer if everybody here just went to BGG and did the challenges that way, instead of me having a separate one over here. They said we could do it but it'd "make them sad." I'm conflicted as to what to do, thread.

I mean it's not a unique idea, the challenges; the adding a bit of a story kind of is I guess? What do you think, thread? I'm not tryna front on anybody but I also want to create my own challenges(also have anybody else create them, and I was thinking of just a leaderboard-Google Docs perhaps?) and not have a waiting period for them... :( I'm conflicted.

I said I'd buy the cat an SA account as thanks for starting the one over at BGG, and give them credit for the format and all..

gently caress that guy, we are the SA forums and we do what we want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My local FLGS isn't run competently. They didn't have: Catan, regular Ticket To Ride, regular Carcassonne, Codenames, or anything else. I got Sushi Go Party and NSFW Exploding Kittens because my gf wanted it.

Next time I'll just use the internet.

I saw literally all those games at Target yesterday.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Exploding Kittens: now with exploding boobs

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Whoa, Aeons end may not be a great game but it's not that bad, and there is a lot of false info being posted.

For one, it is nothing like thunderstone - it's not market row, and there is only one currency. There is no built in trashing mechanic either - some cards allow you to, just like dominion.

The never shuffle mechanic is not bad - it's just fine. It's not about knowing what cards you need when, it's about knowing what cards you want together, which you certainly can know - you might want all your money in a row for example. Honestly, it's not that big a deal. It doesn't change the game that much, and it makes the game feel less like it relies on you getting good draws - a good thing in a difficult, co-operative game.

I think the comparisons to sentinels are apt, as theres a lot of small damaging effects that don't really pop or feel satisfying when you play them. but the deckbuilding element means that the enemy attacks are a lot more interesting than those in sentinels, as are your own spells. There are many more interesting decisions than sentinels. It kinda has the dominion thing where you need to know when to stop working on your deck and start gunning to end the game.

If the game was not co-op, I think it would be quite bad. But as is, it's pretty difficult, has some good dominion style market setup solving (further complicated by the ability to plan different decks for different players).... It's a good game.

And, while IBC is a terrible publisher, I think they are just a distributor or something, as the game is also published by action phase games.

burger time fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 25, 2016

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also got Sushi Go! Party to the table. It's more Sushi Go!, which is great. I think I like the no reshuffling of the original game better than reshuffling after each round, though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

I also got Sushi Go! Party to the table. It's more Sushi Go!, which is great. I think I like the no reshuffling of the original game better than reshuffling after each round, though.

I like the shuffling better. I prefer the uncertainty of what's coming in Party over the original game. You could count cards and get a big advantage on the original game, which is kinda unfitting for what's generally a very light and breezy game.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got the new version of Doom, am stoked.

Already liking their implementation of cover more than descent's version.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

deadwing posted:

I like the shuffling better. I prefer the uncertainty of what's coming in Party over the original game. You could count cards and get a big advantage on the original game, which is kinda unfitting for what's generally a very light and breezy game.

Yeah, last time I taught the game, one of the guys kept asking about how many of a certain card there was.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I saw literally all those games at Target yesterday.

I wanted to give money to the FLGS :mad:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Lord Hydronium posted:

How is Baseball Highlights 2045? The theme looks fun, but I have no idea how the actual gameplay is.

Exceptionally good. Fast, tense, and feels sufficiently baseball-ey to scratch that itch. The android port is good to try it out with if you're unsure about it.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Got my holiday score early and ended up with Scythe + expansion, bigger board, and coins and Food Chain Magnate. Looking forward to a lot of passive aggressiveness in the coming weeks.

Hoping to pick up AFfO for myself if I can find it anywhere in the coming weeks.

EBag
May 18, 2006

burger time posted:

Aeon''s end stuff

I was gonna say, I haven't played it but whatever game the other posters were describing it certainly wasn't AE.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I gave Pax Renaissance a chance recently, and I highly recommend it. Many tense, viable paths to victory without "Oh. I won." moments, and it doesn't have the brain-imploding learning curve of Pax Pamir!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Has anyone tried Adrenaline yet? It looks rad.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

burger time posted:

Whoa, Aeons end may not be a great game but it's not that bad, and there is a lot of false info being posted.

For one, it is nothing like thunderstone - it's not market row, and there is only one currency. There is no built in trashing mechanic either - some cards allow you to, just like dominion.

I thought the bad guy deck always has some cards with a trash effect. At least that's how the guy who gave me the demo explained it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

S.J. posted:

Has anyone tried Adrenaline yet? It looks rad.

Great theme. Nice bits. Kinda dull and long. Always seem to end up in 5 player games though, so maybe better with 3 or 4. It might be too streamlined for its own good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know opinions were mixed-to-negative on SeaFall when it was in the very early release stages, but I'm wondering if enough people have played and time has passed for there to be a real consensus on it now?

I really want it to be good, and will probably end up buying it eventually regardless. I'm just worried about lumping my group with a boring rear end £60 game that they'll give up on after a few rounds.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Talk to me about competitive 2-player dungeon crawlers, thread. Preferably with miniatures. I have an eye on Dungeon Command and/or Dungeon Twister, but any good alternatives are welcome.

(I don't mind randomness unless it's "roll to move, roll to roll, roll to wipe rear end" excessive. And yeah I know about Descent and the like, but the "one vs many"-type design is not what I'm looking at the moment.)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sushi go and mysterium were what I managed to get played today by the family

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Pierzak posted:

Talk to me about competitive 2-player dungeon crawlers, thread. Preferably with miniatures. I have an eye on Dungeon Command and/or Dungeon Twister, but any good alternatives are welcome.

(I don't mind randomness unless it's "roll to move, roll to roll, roll to wipe rear end" excessive. And yeah I know about Descent and the like, but the "one vs many"-type design is not what I'm looking at the moment.)

Claustrophobia is real good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bowmore posted:

sushi go and mysterium were what I managed to get played today by the family

Dixit and Joking Hazard for me to far. The latter went down far better. :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pierzak posted:

(And yeah I know about Descent and the like, but the "one vs many"-type design is not what I'm looking at the moment.)

Descent has an app now that automates the overlord aspect, making it pure co-op.

e: \/\/ Durp, didn't read the "competitive" part. My bad.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 25, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Descent has an app now that automates the overlord aspect, making it pure co-op.
"pure co-op" and "competitive" is very different. In case it's not, I meant direct conflict between players, not just treasure hunting for points etc.

Also, forgot to mention, no apps. Let's keep it purely physical.

Azran posted:

Claustrophobia is real good.
Yeah, I forgot to mention I know it already.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

I know opinions were mixed-to-negative on SeaFall when it was in the very early release stages, but I'm wondering if enough people have played and time has passed for there to be a real consensus on it now?

I really want it to be good, and will probably end up buying it eventually regardless. I'm just worried about lumping my group with a boring rear end £60 game that they'll give up on after a few rounds.

I think that's still the consensus. Lots of neat ideas, poor execution and an experience that swings too quickly as new boxes are opened and milestones come up.

Currently I'm playing it and enjoying it a lot. But I get all the critiques given and agree with them... Just liking it in spite of them.

Phone posting and can go into more detail on not Christmas morning if you want, but the one key thing I'll say is do not play this with 5 players. 3-4 should be your max.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Re: 2p competitive dungeon crawl

Mage Knight? Though admittedly it's at its worst when played in competitive mode. And it's not really a dungeon crawl in the strict sense because the dungeons are just single tiles in a world map. On the other hand it is though. You level up, you gear up, you can hire other party members, you slay a bunch of monsters...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Pretend everything is inside a giant dungeon where there's diverse types of terrain and large cities for *magic* reasons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pierzak posted:

"pure co-op" and "competitive" is very different. In case it's not, I meant direct conflict between players, not just treasure hunting for points etc.

Also, forgot to mention, no apps. Let's keep it purely physical.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I know it already.

You want Arcadia Quest. You're competing with the other players for pvp/pve objectives to win each scenario.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

im really hoping Roborally is a success with my gaming friends, I never want to play Munchkin Quest again in my life

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pierzak posted:

I see a million copies of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and on one hand it's GW, but on the other hand it looks pretty because it's GW.

Anyway the big talk I hear is Descent with the new app is great. Imperial Assault is also good even as a 2 player rebel-vs-empire setup.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZeroCount posted:

im really hoping Roborally is a success with my gaming friends, I never want to play Munchkin Quest again in my life

Is Munchkin Quest worse than normal Munchkin?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Is Munchkin Quest worse than normal Munchkin?

its Munchkin but converted into a 'proper' boardgame that takes like 3-4 hours because everyone is encouraged to backstab everyone else and nobody ever actually wins.

edit: it's also a giant board composed of dozens of interconnected random tiles you have to click together with a bunch of random doorway-connection tiles with a bunch of player tokens and whenever you don't kill a monster it also sticks around on the board and crowds things up and also if people buff the monsters to screw you over (they will) the now uber-monster remains around forever loving everything up and also you have to move the monsters every turn based on a colour system and

it's fiddly as poo poo basically and its one saving grace, that only a certain amount of monsters of each colour can be on the board at any given time, is impossible to utilise or plan around because it is entirely randomly determined

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 25, 2016

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ZeroCount posted:

its Munchkin but converted into a 'proper' boardgame that takes like 3-4 hours because everyone is encouraged to backstab everyone else and nobody ever actually wins.

So it's Munchkin, then.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I realize that the terms I might be using to describe it might be indistinguishable from the terms you use to describe regular Munchkin but it at least doubles the play-time, multiples the level of in-game fiddly poo poo by 10, increases the amount of knowledge needed by however many players you have because they all have cards out you need to be checking constantly while roaming around the ever-growing increasingly complex board while keeping the level of total entertainment the same.

My group mostly just plays board games as side things to our main RPG's or card-game nights and I've been trying to push them away from Munchkin first through the introduction of a few old risk variants I had lying around and then Forbidden Desert, both of which have gone over well. I'm hoping that Roborally and future additions means I never have to look at the loving munchkin quest box again.

edit: i dont care how long you think Munchkin is, Munchkin Quest is longer. I saw a turn take an hour once. Every night I crave death.

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 25, 2016

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

theroachman posted:

I thought the bad guy deck always has some cards with a trash effect. At least that's how the guy who gave me the demo explained it.

Hmmm, there are shared cards between the bad guys, and I've seen one or two bad guy cards that trash but I don't know if they're shared or not. Also, you don't use all the shared cards each game, you randomly pick some. With the bad guy trash cards I've seen, the trashing is random, and the cards come out later in the game (bad guy cards have stages) when your deck has better cards that you usually don't want to trash, so I wouldn't call it a built in mechanic.

Also, I think the card I saw allowed you to take damage rather than trash cards - a lot of the penalties work like this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a garbage game but I have a soft spot for Order of the Stick which sounds like it has all the same problems as Munchkin Quest but monsters are random encounters so once you get your butt kicked the monster goes away.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Earth Reborn is right up your alley. Awesome tactical miniature 2p game designed by Christophe Boelinger, the same guy that designed Dungeon Twister. You can somewhat feel its DNA in there, but it's very much its own beast.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got my brother Dominion: Prosperity for Christmas. I know the official rule is Colony/Platinum if 50% Prosperity, are there any other houserules for when to use them?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So me and my wife just did stockings for Christmas this year because we have a one year old but she did her research and got me tiny epic galaxies. Also she got me some silicone baking cups to put tokens in.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I got my parents to play Splendor, was a good time by all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Got my brother Dominion: Prosperity for Christmas. I know the official rule is Colony/Platinum if 50% Prosperity, are there any other houserules for when to use them?

The official suggestion is technically to determine randomly based on the proportion of kingdom cards that are from Prosperity, but some people like to just decide to put it in voluntarily if it looks interesting to do so, especially since if you're playing with a lot of expansions Prosperity gets diluted.