Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My church is weird-lookin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pellisworth posted:

Merry Christmas friends! Wishing you all a happy and healthy celebration.

When do the folks on the Eastern calendar have Christmas?

On the 7th of January, mostly. For Armenians, it's the 6th.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

what the gently caress
they also hold to a niche type of epistemology where you are literally incapable of making true statements unless you already agree with them doctrinally

so before they even read Plato, Homer, etc., they've already closed themselves off to potentially being radically changed by these works, which is the reason you go to a loving great books college in the first place,

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Tias posted:

What are the threads feelings on the works of HP Lovecraft?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVFIWD1VmB0

I'm not a Christian but I do find a lot of spiritual inspiration in writings by horror authors like Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti, and William Hope Hodgson. With Lovecraft it's especially stories like "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" where the story examines the possibility of other worlds being folded up right alongside the one we live in that I find especially intriguing. But people like Ligotti and Hodgson provide more direct material for meditation and visualisation; Ligotti has a couple stories like "The Red Tower" and "The Clown Puppet" that I dwell on and try to bring into focus as clearly as possible in my mind. I realize this won't be popular here but they provide a kind of inverted religious experience where through sustained soulful effort it becomes possible to realize that the world means less--rather than more--than it seems on its surface. Hodgson in The House on the Borderlands describes experiences of seemingly infinite abysal travel that correspond almost exactly to the experience of smoking salvia divinorum. Ultimately instead of my soul rising I realize I can forget the soul and simply recognize an affinity between myself and a hole, a rock, a sump pump, or a melting trickle in the snow.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HopperUK posted:

My church is weird-lookin.

Your church is rad. But something about that architecture makes me think of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i look at it and i think "fish market." maybe a cannery

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAL posted:

they also hold to a niche type of epistemology where you are literally incapable of making true statements unless you already agree with them doctrinally

so before they even read Plato, Homer, etc., they've already closed themselves off to potentially being radically changed by these works, which is the reason you go to a loving great books college in the first place,

this is what really gets me, in part because the great books curriculum at my undergrad profoundly altered my view of the world. that was where i first read plato's Symposium and aeschylus and st. augustine and bocaccio and averroes and al-ghazali and a bunch of other authors whom i've grown to love. the notion of closing yourself off from those works and just...assimilating them as some kind of varnish of culture over the same worldview you entered with is profoundly disturbing to me.

on a happier note, merry Christmas everyone. may the unfathomable miracle of the Incarnation bring all of us the redemption that we need

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
midnight Mass trip report: thought I would be underdressed since I didn't want to bother with wearing a suit, two guys in the pew in front of me were wearing Hawaiian shirts. So, uh, okay. I probably would have been mistaken for an usher.

It was pretty awesome though; bishop got a standing ovation at the end since this is the last Mass he'll be celebrating. He proceeded in with the mitre and the crozier while incense was burning and I nearly transformed into the Pope right then and there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I went to mass with my cousin

I saw someone take the host and dip it into the blood

Never thought I'd see a heresy on Christmas

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Smoking Crow posted:

That happens on occasion here in Denmark. People are largely cultural users of the church and don't care much for the theological implications of their actions - also, our state church is lutheran and doesn't get so worked up about that sort of thing.

Merry christmas! I ate pork and rice pudding till I nearly passed out, 10/10 would celebrate again.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, that's not allowed?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

pidan posted:

It's against the rubrics, yes. Priests are allowed to do it if they are ill or some other grave reasons.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

pidan posted:

After mass I walked up to my cousin and went did you see that and he goes "you mean the heresy"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel_Canto posted:

this is what really gets me, in part because the great books curriculum at my undergrad profoundly altered my view of the world. that was where i first read plato's Symposium and aeschylus and st. augustine and bocaccio and averroes and al-ghazali and a bunch of other authors whom i've grown to love. the notion of closing yourself off from those works and just...assimilating them as some kind of varnish of culture over the same worldview you entered with is profoundly disturbing to me.

on a happier note, merry Christmas everyone. may the unfathomable miracle of the Incarnation bring all of us the redemption that we need

my favorite thing about the symposium is it was so gay people would refuse to teach it for its corrupting influence

i don't really care much for great books schools in general, what with the euro and androcentrism as well as its over reliance on modern and premodern thought but at least St. John's taught the symposium. course the lack of instruction made some people think greece was more progressive than it was

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

That's where my mass was this year.
They had some great music, some in Englishh, even!

Other than that, it wasn't special since the priest read a letter by the bishops or something.

Didn't see any church cats, either.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

my favorite thing about the symposium is it was so gay people would refuse to teach it for its corrupting influence

i don't really care much for great books schools in general, what with the euro and androcentrism as well as its over reliance on modern and premodern thought but at least St. John's taught the symposium. course the lack of instruction made some people think greece was more progressive than it was

Someone should open a Confucian school in the US

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Nice church!

My lapsed Catholic bf just texted me a picture of him at midnight mass in his ski resort. It's a Christmas miracle :v:

Meanwhile I have never gone to midnight Christmas mass in my life because we have mass with choir singing in the morning and my mum digs that.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

A guy from church sent me this picture of a damaged church in Syria, where they built their nativity scene in the rubble:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

Someone should open a Confucian school in the US

I don't know if you're joking or not but I want this

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pidan posted:

A guy from church sent me this picture of a damaged church in Syria, where they built their nativity scene in the rubble:

Incredible.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Midnight mass way lit af, goons. 'Cept the acolytes (read: me) were rooking it hard. Few people noticed though so I probably won't catch poo poo for it next week.

Blessings to you all! For the second time, the Tree of Life has been firmly planted on Earth!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Merry Christmas thread goons.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

pidan posted:

Your church is rad. But something about that architecture makes me think of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I should actually try to find out why it looks that way. It's lovely on the inside!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/24/pope-francis-christmas-eve-vatican

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I didn't go to a Christmas Eve service because I've been fighting a really bad cold that's been going around at work. :( Merry Christmas, all.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Merry Christmas everyone, whenever and however you celebrate it :).

Get well soon, Cythereal.

Normally when someone talks about how Christmas has been taken over by materialism I roll my eyes. But the point about the poor children is pretty good. I admire how consistent Pope Francis is about caring for the downtrodden and the needy. It's very life-affirming :).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Singing for the evacuated handicapped today was a wonderful Christmas experience, they were so happy! :3:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

JcDent posted:

That's where my mass was this year.
They had some great music, some in Englishh, even!

Other than that, it wasn't special since the priest read a letter by the bishops or something.

Didn't see any church cats, either.

Needs a giant gorilla climbing up the side of it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The whole homily is worth watching. The english translation kicks in a few seconds after Pope Francis begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9CA6JDwJ4&t=2572s

The story of Jesus is inalienable from a preferential option for the marginalized. Many people have tried to claim divinity. But God the Son wasn't born in a palace. His parents weren't rich or powerful or even protected. He did not have paintings made of himself.

For most people, Christmas Day is not a special day. It may be a normal day, or it might be a bad day. The birth of Jesus is not actually just for the people who will already have a merry Christmas. It is even more significantly for the people who are in any way challenged by or not at peace with how things are.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Merry Christmas goons!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

my copy of the symposium had greek on one side, english on the other, and illustrations

quote:

i don't really care much for great books schools in general, what with the euro and androcentrism
the cure for that is to teach a wider variety of great books in the programs, not ditch the schools

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

We still posting churches? Our Facebook-addicted chaplain snapped this awesome photo during the entrance into the church at Midnight Mass

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Five year old cousin this morning: "Jesus is the best gift of all! When do we get the other ones?"

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

HEY GAL posted:

the cure for that is to teach a wider variety of great books in the programs, not ditch the schools

agreed. when columbia had complaints in the early 90s about the eurocentrism of the core curriculum, their response was to keep everything the same but to add a mandatory year of non-western stuff to the list. i basically got to do another great books seminar with the east asian studies faculty and then got to dive into indian and tibetan buddhist texts with the first westerner to ever become a tibetan monk. the man was crazy but the class was phenomenal. but reading locke in the politics seminar with an insufferable libertarian sitting next to me definitely drove me to drink

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

agreed. when columbia had complaints in the early 90s about the eurocentrism of the core curriculum, their response was to keep everything the same but to add a mandatory year of non-western stuff to the list. i basically got to do another great books seminar with the east asian studies faculty and then got to dive into indian and tibetan buddhist texts with the first westerner to ever become a tibetan monk. the man was crazy but the class was phenomenal. but reading locke in the politics seminar with an insufferable libertarian sitting next to me definitely drove me to drink

when i finished st. johns i got an MA in eastern texts from the same college, so i feel you

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Oh yeah, I did have a question. All of our parish priests and the bishop were celebrants for the Midnight Mass, except the young priest wasn't wearing a chasuble. He was the only one without one. Liturgical reason for this or did they just not have enough of them?

At least the bishop was kind enough to warn us filthy heathens about genuflecting during the Nicene Creed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

System Metternich posted:

Singing for the evacuated handicapped today was a wonderful Christmas experience, they were so happy! :3:

Evacuation? What happened?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Evacuation? What happened?
someone found an old english/american bomb and an entire city had to loving leave while they defused it
which is different from france or england, where they keep finding german ones

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

someone found an old english/american bomb and an entire city had to loving leave while they defused it
which is different from france or england, where they keep finding german ones

drat.

Beats other kinds of disaster, though. At least people still have their city intact to return to after the bomb is defused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, it's a really weird mental image: there's an area that's about 3km wide full of houses and streets and stores and whatnot that has a current population of 2 (the EOD experts who are still working on defusing the bomb). They started working on it almost four hours ago, hopefully the 54,000 people who had to be evacuated can go back to their houses before tomorrow.

e: and just as I write this I get the news that they successfully defused it, thank God

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 25, 2016

• Locked thread