Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
People with the t16000m hotas: how do I set the throttle up so that coming to a dead stop isn't super fiddly? I set a centre deadzone in the target software but when I run the profile, elite stops receiving any input from the stick or throttle until I stop the profile again - what am I doing wrong there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The theme park game is really good at least.

I had some fun with the SNES-version once. I think after Tales of Berseria for my PS4 I'll buy the Theme Park game in February or something.

Oh wait, I need to save money for another PS4-game I want, which comes out in March, never mind.

But if it shows up on a steam sale for a heavy discount (or in April/May), I'll work it into my entertainment budget just for nostalgia's sake.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Pilchenstein posted:

People with the t16000m hotas: how do I set the throttle up so that coming to a dead stop isn't super fiddly? I set a centre deadzone in the target software but when I run the profile, elite stops receiving any input from the stick or throttle until I stop the profile again - what am I doing wrong there?

If you figure it out, let me know. I tried it with the TARGET software, but somehow that nuked all my keybinds.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

Don't use target. You're not doing anything wrong, it's just bad software for now.

I followed this DIY solution to approximate a center detent. Used 3/4 inch Velcro tape and set the throttle dead zone in Elite settings.

edit: also been using this keybind and it's been great. Slightly modified the throttle hats by shifting all the directional inputs anticlockwise one tick. i.e. I prefer "left" for the contacts panel to be left relative to my hand, so up in the real world.

NULL_SIGNAL fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 25, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Why not just set the deadzone directly in Elite?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Why do I get such schadenfreude from watching SC flail and fail?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Gromit posted:

This isn't about Elite, but you might be amused by it. A few years ago a friend in my group bought us all ships in Star Citizen. A few of us bought more, but I was dubious and just forgot all about it. Recently one of the guys said we should play it and me and another suggested this was unlikely because there was no game to play. He was a touch indignant and asked if we'd actually bothered to look for any game. Maybe he was a bit salty about my referring to it as a scam all the time.

So 5 of us patched it and loaded it up. We wandered around a shopping plaza but were not able to get all of us in the one instance. I managed to push an NPC shop keeper out into the street, but those characters were client-side so it wasn't that interesting to anyone else. The gun-shop claimed to have a firing range but it didn't, so I couldn't even try out some guns.

After that we decided to try the ship-flying part, and once again failed to get more than 3 of us in the same instance. After interminably-long load times two of us clipped through the floor, one dropping into space. If the 24-player-max instance filled up before you loaded you were stuck in the loading screen forever. I finally got outside and jet-packed around, while another guy called up one of his ships. By the time he got to it a griefer had rammed it until it turned into loose parts. We spent 2 or 3 hours all up accomplishing nothing and I asked if we had spent enough time "looking for the game" yet.

I'm not suggesting Frontier are amazing, but holy hell you can do a lot worse.

What was his response?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Because no matter how bad the fire gets it always manages to burn brighter

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I got a little rep for the Empire but not enough. I prefer fast and nimble so is the Fer-de-Lance a terrible option compared to the Clipper?

Chrysophylax posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, get on Discord if you want to hang out with us

I signed up for all the things last night. Just waiting to get approved or if I did I don't know how to tell if I did.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

timn posted:

Why not just set the deadzone directly in Elite?
I forgot you could do that. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pilchenstein posted:

Chances are that you're binding the wrong device in-game.

Unless you do some very superficial things, what SATAN TARGET does is that it creates a virtual device that contains all your programmed key presses and axes and whathaveyou. Meanwhile, in-game, you have probably bound all your control buttons and axes to the actual T16000M, which is not the same as the virtual device that TARGET creates for you.

So first question is, when you run the profile, does the game simply not react to your input, or is it completely unaware that the device even exists — i.e. if you go into the settings and try to re-bind anything, does it recognise those button presses or does it not even react when you try to assign them?

The second thing is what order you do everything — E:D is usually pretty lenient about you plugging in new devices while it's running, but I have come across instances where custom keybinds are silently reset if the device they're using isn't attached (although I think this is more of a bug than anything). So make sure you run the profile before you start the game, and for added safety, turn the custom keybind into a fixed profile that you can just (re)select from the control set-up drop-down menu.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Ah right, I'd bound all the controls then run target to set the deadzone rather than the other way around. I'll just set a dz in game and not use this apparently super popular software tbh.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
New 17 Draconis Alliance is in civil war with The Order, again. Come get your space-bucks. Merry Christmas!

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I just got done trying TARGET again. This time it would only read the throttle OR the joystick, but not both. Like, moving them around produced no output.

Had to reboot to use both at once again. Gave up, set deadzone in ED. Works great now!

Shining Wit
Nov 27, 2000

Apple Craft posted:

New 17 Draconis Alliance is in civil war with The Order, again. Come get your space-bucks. Merry Christmas!

Awesome, thanks! I've just got back from a face smashingly boring 24k LY long range explorer mission so missed the last one.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
So I uninstalled target and set a deadzone in game and it's being loving weird? When the throttle is in the deadzone the ship moves forward at 11m/s. When I alt-tab, the ship comes to a stop. :confused:

Edit: I was drifting sideways at 11m/s because I'd not deadzoned the little analogue stick. :ms:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 25, 2016

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, I got a little rep for the Empire but not enough. I prefer fast and nimble so is the Fer-de-Lance a terrible option compared to the Clipper?

I signed up for all the things last night. Just waiting to get approved or if I did I don't know how to tell if I did.

I've alerted the authorities, they'll get you sorted.

Both those ships are fast, but the FDL is nimbler as it doesn't tend to drift all over the place. The FDL is, however, a combat ship only and is completely hopeless at anything else, but in return it gets way better shields and more combat outfitting options.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 25, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
A great thing about the FdL that's easy to overlook is the 6 utility slots. It's much easier to squeeze in enough of everything you want between shield boosters, chaff, point defense, heat sinks if you run an SCB, etc.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think there is also I think a strong element of "oh thank god, the two years I spent painstakingly grinding in ED wasn't a waste of time".

You sink that much time and effort into a thing then you really don't want another shinier thing to come along.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Apple Craft posted:

Is this still a thing? I'm docked at Paradiso Outpost in 17 Draconis and all I'm getting are donation missions. Literally for every faction, nothing but donation missions.

Even when going between solo and open play, the mission types don't change. They're always donation missions. :(

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

4 years into development they just announced an engine change on the Friday evening before Christmas.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to know how many dedicated devs are still working on ED instead of PC because it seems like the current beta is taking ages to reach live.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I thought they stated upfront that the timeline to go live was after the holidays. They're also going to be working on 2.3 behind the scenes at the same time. I don't really see a reason to speculate much there.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
As far as I'm aware, they still have the entire team working on elite and they formed a seperate team for the coaster thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

timn posted:

I thought they stated upfront that the timeline to go live was after the holidays. They're also going to be working on 2.3 behind the scenes at the same time. I don't really see a reason to speculate much there.

I couldn't find any published dates, only a fan chatting on the official forums saying "sometime January" for 2.2.03.

2.0 launched August 2015 and 2016 is almost over, hence my interest in how many people are still working on finishing the current 'season' which is stretching over annums.

Pilchenstein posted:

As far as I'm aware, they still have the entire team working on elite and they formed a seperate team for the coaster thing.

It might be the 'whole ED team' working on it but how many actually is that if people were redeployed to make roller coasters?

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

DancingShade posted:

It might be the 'whole ED team' working on it but how many actually is that if people were redeployed to make roller coasters?

Didn't they hire more people to work on Planet Coaster?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

Didn't they hire more people to work on Planet Coaster?

That's a very good question. Did they?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DancingShade posted:

I would love to know how many dedicated devs are still working on ED instead of PC because it seems like the current beta is taking ages to reach live.

I'm sure several holidays has something to do with it.

Unless we're going to rehash the "why don't they work on holidays" meme argument. :yum:

timn
Mar 16, 2010

DancingShade posted:

2.0 launched August 2015 and 2016 is almost over, hence my interest in how many people are still working on finishing the current 'season' which is stretching over annums.

Just FYI that 2.0 was announced in August 2015, but not actually released until mid-December. We're still way past the original plan for annual seasons, but that could also be attributed to other things such as the amount of extra stuff besides the originally planned headline features which they've included. Per Frontier's own words, 2.1 saw a lot of scope increase but they delivered on all of it in the end.

So yeah, I don't think there's much ground to speculate one way or another. Though I will admit that in my own anecdotal opinion that 2.2 seems a bit rough in QA terms compared to past updates. I feel like I've personally dealt with more annoying little bugs and hangups with the initial 2.2 release.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

DancingShade posted:

That's a very good question. Did they?

Probably.

But it's pretty much 100% speculation to say anything about team sizes/sources and where the money goes. Frontier isn't obliged to put all of E:D's profits back into E:D (in fact, it would be kind of odd unless you want to become a one-product company).

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dirty posted:

Probably.

But it's pretty much 100% speculation to say anything about team sizes/sources and where the money goes. Frontier isn't obliged to put all of E:D's profits back into E:D (in fact, it would be kind of odd unless you want to become a one-product company).

Well yeah, of course it's speculation. That's why I raised the question of resource allocation - because of the apparent glacial incremental progress while an entirely new game gets out the door (to well deserved acclaim from reports).

My impression is that ED is now the backburner project.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Dolemite posted:

Is this still a thing? I'm docked at Paradiso Outpost in 17 Draconis and all I'm getting are donation missions. Literally for every faction, nothing but donation missions.

Even when going between solo and open play, the mission types don't change. They're always donation missions. :(

Sorry, I announced the civil war just before heading out to a family Christmas gathering. It seems that, even though they are at civil war, the two factions are indeed only giving donation missions.

Sorry for the false flag!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Some airliner-y Beluga paint jobs and a mess of decals went up on the store.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
On the one hand, "Decals, Neat"! On the other, these are pretty generic.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if you aren't using Galcop decals in every slot.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

Lol if you aren't using Galcop decals in every slot.

I will not apologize for spaceweed decals in the "balls" slots with Galcop in the shaft position.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

DancingShade posted:

Around 100 devs on Elite last we heard. Plus, it's friggin' xmas and the beta is testing some major balance changes so they're taking their time with it to get as much feedback as possible.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Around 100 devs on Elite last we heard. Plus, it's friggin' xmas and the beta is testing some major balance changes so they're taking their time with it to get as much feedback as possible.

Yeah I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting anything to happen over the holiday break. It's more the overall snail pace of updates that gets more curious as the monthsyears go on.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

DancingShade posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure nobody is expecting anything to happen over the holiday break. It's more the overall snail pace of updates that gets more curious as the monthsyears go on.

Well, some people think "snail pace", but as a developer I'm more along the lines of thinking "loving hell, they're cramming a lot of difficult changes in very quickly!".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Well, some people think "snail pace", but as a developer I'm more along the lines of thinking "loving hell, they're cramming a lot of difficult changes in very quickly!".

Well if you consider "we've changed engineer recipes a bit" as major content then sure, I can see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Well if you consider "we've changed engineer recipes a bit" as major content then sure, I can see that.

That isn't the only change, though.

• Locked thread