Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

BaconCopter posted:

(Enter the Gungeon) It's like if BInding of Isaac controlled well and was actually fun.

And removed all feeling of power spikes.

You could start a game of Isaac and within 10 seconds be set up with an interesting or comically powerful run. Gungeon had none of this progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Edmond Dantes is a bro of the people and sent DOOM my way. He deserves any cheer sent his way this holiday season.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

KrayG posted:

And removed all feeling of power spikes.

You could start a game of Isaac and within 10 seconds be set up with an interesting or comically powerful run. Gungeon had none of this progression.

Also Gungeon is way, way slower than Isaac even with them trying to make up for it by letting you teleport to any previously-visited room on the map instantly. When you have a bad run in Isaac you lose five minutes, while Gungeon can mean you just wasted half an hour of slowly dodging bullet hell patterns and jumping between cover for nothing.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GTJustin posted:

I saw gauntlet was on sale and picked up a 4 pack to play with buddies. Having seen no mention of it, did I screw up? I remember blowing quite a few quarters playing some arcade gauntlet, and have thousands of hrs into diablo

I bought a 4 pack for me and friends when it first came out. Its not really as satisfying as arcade gauntlet. A lot of the charm is missing with the more realistic graphics and you never get to feel as crazy overpowered in the late game. It does have mulitplayer which is nice. Just look at the hours played by most of its owners, a lot of people stop playing 5 hours in for good reason.

I would so much rather play gauntlet legends on an emulator

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

GTJustin posted:

I saw gauntlet was on sale and picked up a 4 pack to play with buddies. Having seen no mention of it, did I screw up? I remember blowing quite a few quarters playing some arcade gauntlet, and have thousands of hrs into diablo

i have lots of nostalgia for arcade gauntlet. this is not arcade gauntlet. you might like it anyway though, its not terrible.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am kicking myself for not buying MGSV earlier. I just got D-Dog and if anyone hurts him, I am killing the world.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

I am kicking myself for not buying MGSV earlier. I just got D-Dog and if anyone hurts him, I am killing the world.

I wouldnt finish mission 29 then because nah just kidding

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

D-Dog's always worth taking for general map-roaming, because he'll just bark and point out where everyone is.

xxSoup
Jun 24, 2013
So the Green Man Gaming website has their Mystery Game Sale, which does wonders for my crippling gambling addiction.
Here are some Steam key codes for the games I received duplicates of.
Fair warning, at first glance, most of these games looked horrible and aren't worth the space they'd take up in your Steam library list, let alone your harddrive.

I'm not going to bother with updating which of the keys have been taken, anyone who wants them can grab whichever.

THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: ?EE7A-YGHJ2-AI89B
The first digit is: 4

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: ?ERGC-RICGX-YRTYN
The first digit is: Z

TIDALIS STEAM: ?WITG-PAFDZ-7ZNGI
The first digit is: L

SPACE MOTH DX STEAM: ?KZ6H-AJZK7-PPV7K
The first digit is: X

TIDALIS STEAM: ?4PBQ-W9XWT-R9X7N

BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE STEAM: ?4DTN-GY7EB-7ZR2C
The first digit is: 9

TOWER WARS STEAM: ?W5EF-CEHH0-HQZB3
The first digit is: I

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?FJQD-9ATBD-5FPQP
The first digit is: 5

VAMPIRE OF THE SANDS STEAM: ?FJKN-TCMXQ-3FILC
The first digit is: Q

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: ?FNRP-787MF-HDDP6
The first digit is: E

BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE STEAM: ?J5TT-YKBPP-ZQD0T
The first digit is: K

TOWER WARS STEAM: ?X2M7-3YLBX-JCJZX

SPEC OPS THE LINE: ?JF02-E5MNG-4L4ZF
The first digit is: W

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?6PM8-5K05K-3BEG2

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?4AQV-MBZCI-PQ0XM

SPEC OPS THE LINE: ?NIPA-XXDIV-ZIX2X

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?I6PK-04XR8-MBR60

THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: ?4PBD-ZAIPF-3KMN4
The first digit is: P

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?52HY-N7QT5-JY4CK
The first digit is: H

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?JNGY-7YG8Q-V0J0M
The first digit is: N

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Enter the Gungeon doesn't have moments where you open a chest and you've won the run; you're still going to die if you can't play the game. Gameplay is closer to Nuclear Throne than Isaac. You have guns, they shoot things, you kill stuff, move on. The dungeon crawling is more like Isaac with less RNG manipulation.

Doesn't mean you can't have broken builds, yesterday on a Bullet run in the Supply Drop beta I had double shot, piercing, bouncing, quadrupley large, flaming, poison, shocking, and homing projectiles. I still lost the run in Bullet Hell.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xxSoup posted:

I took these thanks so much, I was just about to buy spec ops

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Steam Thread Night Crew! Have some decent hidden object games for being up late on a holiday:

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink
DRNQ9-44PCJ-3FYW*
that star up there is a 7.

Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren`s Call
DRTCL-C2H2C-TZCR*
that star up there is the letter L.

Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
DKWFB-4HJEC-TAGW*
A C in place of the star will get you the complete code above.

Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
DEJT3-32RD9-3C8N*
In our final numerical entry replace the star with an 8 to proceed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Takes No Damage posted:

Steam Thread Night Crew! Have some decent hidden object games for being up late on a holiday:

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink
DRNQ9-44PCJ-3FYW*
that star up there is a 7.

A yoink, and thank you - Merry Christmas!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Takes No Damage posted:

Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren`s Call
DRTCL-C2H2C-TZCR*
that star up there is the letter L.
Got this, thanks.

Also, still handing out gifts. Write up in the thread / ride the gift train in exchange.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xander77

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

ZIGfried posted:

Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Minecraft: Story Mode
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Child of Light, maybe?

Diplomatic Immunity
Apr 12, 2006
The King

Edmond Dantes posted:

Looking forward to recommending you buy Alien:Isolation every few pages, goons! :toot:

I finally went and purchased this and then went to watch the new Alien: Covenant trailer.

I'm gonna push my way through Isolation, even though I'm already scared of the Alien creeping up on me and the game hasn't even finished downloading yet.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Whoever told me to get Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey, you are responsible for this:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, who wants a Spec Ops: The Line code?

*FX*Z-Y5EWI-*&FWD
JH589-*A5V0-0W&&X

* is M and & is 6

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, who wants a Spec Ops: The Line code?

JH589-*A5V0-0W&&X

* is M and & is 6

Yoinked this one, thanks!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ZIGfried posted:

Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Minecraft: Story Mode
Terraria
Stardew Valley

Don't know if you'll be around but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons would be a good first co-op game. Even if you only have one controller the other player can make do with the keyboard. If you do this I suggest letting her be the younger brother for... reasons.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can play Brothers solo. It's just better in co-op.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Whoever told me to get Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey, you are responsible for this:

The game's vocabulary is pretty bad, indeed.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Is there another indy strategy gem like Thea: the Awakening this year to which I should keep an eye open?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

King Vidiot posted:

I'm with you in not really liking them, for reasons I can't even figure out myself, but I wouldn't say they're "bad" games. I think mainly it's the combat, the combat is the gameplay (if you don't count riding a horse around and picking flowers) and it doesn't feel satisfying even in the newest one. The older ones are even worse, combat-wise. Yeah yeah, blah blah open world and the writing and "atmosphere" but I'm not putting 100+ hours into a game when I don't enjoy the one thing I'll be doing the most of.

Skyrim is bland but at least the combat is stupid easy so I can ignore it and just enjoy dicking around in Medieval Times.

Same, i find it very hard to ignore or work around bad core mechanics in some games so i usually just don't bother to continue playing them if i find something that bothers me and the Witcher games suffer from this in spades.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
If I buy Rimworld on their website, do I get a Steam key? Good way to avoid Steam's sales tax.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
(crossposting from Steam thread)

I bought SF5 on PS4 when it released and I'm happy with it (I wouldn't touch the SP modes anyway), I'm planning to buy it again on PC since I have a fightstick that I'd like to use, but I see people complaining about netcode and server issues... aren't the servers the same as Ps4's? Because those work mostly okay-ish for me.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Takes No Damage posted:

Don't know if you'll be around but Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons would be a good first co-op game. Even if you only have one controller the other player can make do with the keyboard. If you do this I suggest letting her be the younger brother for... reasons.
If I hated my niece/nephew and wanted to make them cry I'd buy them Brothers too. I don't think they'll be traumatized or anything but gently caress if it didn't hit me in the gut.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So, MMO babies here, is FFXIV worth it? I'm kind of looking for a new game to play, and I've heard a lot of great things about FF, but I'm unsure about the $15/mo cost. I know it comes with a month free, but it's hard to get a good judgment running around as a lowbie.

I'm mostly a WoW player, for reference, but I only play that via tokens nowadays. I also enjoyed TERA and TSW. I did not care for Neverwinter or Rift if that gives any indication as to what kinds of MMOs I like. The transmog and character options is what appeals to me most about FF.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

Edmond Dantes is a bro of the people and sent DOOM my way. He deserves any cheer sent his way this holiday season.

Enjoy, mate. Merry Christmas.

Diplomatic Immunity posted:

I finally went and purchased this and then went to watch the new Alien: Covenant trailer.

I'm gonna push my way through Isolation, even though I'm already scared of the Alien creeping up on me and the game hasn't even finished downloading yet.

Oh, don't worry. Sparky doesn't creep up on you, you'll always hear her coming. This way you can always try to run. :unsmigghh:

Seriously though, she makes a lot of noise when stomping around. Just remember she can hear your motion tracker, so put it the gently caress away if you know she's in the room with you.

If you want to avoid surprises, here's a very, very mild gameplay spoiler: she can set up in the ceiling vents and wait for you to walk under them, but you can spot the drool dripping from them if you're paying attention.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I ran across this sight yesterday, so please use it as a reminder to :getin: and play Steam games on this holy day:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ragequit posted:

I ran across this sight yesterday, so please use it as a reminder to :getin: and play Steam games on this holy day:

Praise Gaben

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Pigeotic posted:

Anyone here have feelings on Stronghold Crusader 2? I have fond memories of playing the demo of Stronghold a million times over when I was a kid and the 90% off is really tempting me but I don't know... is it at least a passable RTS? My rose colored glasses are so thick here I feel a bit blinded.

Never played the full original games? You're probably best off going back to them and getting Stronghold HD http://store.steampowered.com/app/40950/ and Stronghold Crusader HD http://store.steampowered.com/app/40970/

I have Crusader 2 from a bundle but haven't given it a go yet. I think Stronghold and Crusader still hold up, if you can look past the old graphics. Though Crusader 2 is only $5, and for the $6 Special edition you get Crusader 1 HD, and there are refunds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edmond Dantes posted:

Enjoy, mate. Merry Christmas.

Oh, don't worry. Sparky doesn't creep up on you, you'll always hear her coming. This way you can always try to run. :unsmigghh:

Seriously though, she makes a lot of noise when stomping around. Just remember she can hear your motion tracker, so put it the gently caress away if you know she's in the room with you.

If you want to avoid surprises, here's a very, very mild gameplay spoiler: she can set up in the ceiling vents and wait for you to walk under them, but you can spot the drool dripping from them if you're paying attention.

This isn't always true, she can be dead goddamn silent when she wants to be. Never ever check your Motion Tracker when you're hiding inside a closet if the Alien is nearby. She can hear the beeps. Also learn to shift in the Lockers and hide at an angle if she tries looking in through the grille.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I just got Shadowrun: Hong Kong and INSIDE gifted to me by Kragger99. Thanks a whole bunch, mate! Merry Christmas! :D

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This isn't always true, she can be dead goddamn silent when she wants to be. Never ever check your Motion Tracker when you're hiding inside a closet if the Alien is nearby. She can hear the beeps. Also learn to shift in the Lockers and hide at an angle if she tries looking in through the grille.

I don't recall she ever sneaking up on me, I could always hear the THUMP THUMP THUMP unless I ran into her while she was sniffing around.

I could never pull off the "lean inside lockers" thing, every time she decided to check a closet she would either just get me right away or smell a bit, start to leave and immediately run back, open the locker like a can of tuna and chew my face.

Speaking of lockers: the most important part in Surviving A:I is to always be moving. If you stay hidden in the same place too long, enemies will find you. Move between hiding spots, and remember you don't have to crouch-walk everywhere. Running is loud as gently caress, but unless there's someone in the room with you, you can get away with walking normally most of the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edmond Dantes posted:

Speaking of lockers: the most important part in Surviving A:I is to always be moving. If you stay hidden in the same place too long, enemies will find you. Move between hiding spots, and remember you don't have to crouch-walk everywhere. Running is loud as gently caress, but unless there's someone in the room with you, you can get away with walking normally most of the time.

Learn to change up the type of hiding spots too. Otherwise eventually the Alien starts digging into cupboards and Lockers out of frustration.

thingul
Mar 2, 2005
Free Torchlight II for those who want it.

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=UCfShuMFHKZMWTB4

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

xxSoup posted:

So the Green Man Gaming website has their Mystery Game Sale, which does wonders for my crippling gambling addiction.
Here are some Steam key codes for the games I received duplicates of.
Fair warning, at first glance, most of these games looked horrible and aren't worth the space they'd take up in your Steam library list, let alone your harddrive.

I'm not going to bother with updating which of the keys have been taken, anyone who wants them can grab whichever.

THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: ?EE7A-YGHJ2-AI89B
The first digit is: 4

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: ?ERGC-RICGX-YRTYN
The first digit is: Z

TIDALIS STEAM: ?WITG-PAFDZ-7ZNGI

SPACE MOTH DX STEAM: ?KZ6H-AJZK7-PPV7K

BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE STEAM: ?4DTN-GY7EB-7ZR2C
The first digit is: 9

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?FJQD-9ATBD-5FPQP
The first digit is: 5

VAMPIRE OF THE SANDS STEAM: ?FJKN-TCMXQ-3FILC
The first digit is: Q

CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR STEAM: ?FNRP-787MF-HDDP6

BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE STEAM: ?J5TT-YKBPP-ZQD0T

TOWER WARS STEAM: ?X2M7-3YLBX-JCJZX

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?6PM8-5K05K-3BEG2

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?4AQV-MBZCI-PQ0XM

SPEC OPS THE LINE: ?NIPA-XXDIV-ZIX2X

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?I6PK-04XR8-MBR60

THREE DEAD ZED STEAM: ?4PBD-ZAIPF-3KMN4
The first digit is: P

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?52HY-N7QT5-JY4CK
The first digit is: H

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM: ?JNGY-7YG8Q-V0J0M
The first digit is: N

Both CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR have been claimed (not by me).

Revol posted:

Heavily recommend the last two games. And get her the real Minecraft, if she doesn't already have it.

I'd also recommend Ori and the Blind Forest. Very nice game, with really beautiful graphics.

I bought Alpha Protocol on Gamestop using my Paypal account.

I tried PayPal and it's still not letting me.

No worries I have a friend in the US that is buying it for me as I type.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Do you (randomly?) get gift copies of other games when buying games during the sale? I found a gift copy of Offworld Trading Company from my inventory, and I'm pretty sure I haven't bought it myself.

Edit: I do own Offworld Trading Company, but I don't think I've bought an extra gift copy.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

xxSoup posted:

I got this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Just got locked out for too many activation attempts. Oops! Welp, nonetheless, happy holidays goons! :toot:

Time for the arrival of the in-laws. :smith:

• Locked thread