Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I just built my first gaming computer and am ready for my first (real) Steam/others sale!

But I also just bought a car, so I can't spend all that much. Help me narrow down the list of games I'm looking at / recommend any must-plays I've missed.

Will buy:
Binding of Isaac - Afterbirth
Portal 1 + 2

Hopefully cheaper next year:
DOOM4
Witcher 3
Kerbal Space Program
Ori and the Blind Forest
Mass Effect Trilogy - have only played 1, not wild about cover-based shooters

Old School Shooters:
DOOM Classic Complete
Dark Forces / + sequels
Serious Sam 1+2
Quake
Quake 2

Indies:
Enter the Gungeon
Gunpoint
Environmental Station Alpha
Risk of Rain
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Braid - finally cheap
La Mulana

Games I've heard are good / bad, but curious:
new Wolfenstein(s)
Metro Redux bundle
KOTOR
Bulletstorm
Spore - I know its trash, is it worth $5 too see how far they fell short of that demo video?
Killer is Dead - also trash, but Suda51 / cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Smol posted:

Do you (randomly?) get gift copies of other games when buying games during the sale? I found a gift copy of Offworld Trading Company from my inventory, and I'm pretty sure I haven't bought it myself.

Edit: I do own Offworld Trading Company, but I don't think I've bought an extra gift copy.

I believe OTC specifically comes with a second copy so you can throw it at a friend to have someone to play with.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

ItBreathes posted:

I just built my first gaming computer and am ready for my first (real) Steam/others sale!

I'm way behind on games myself so I haven't played most of the ones on your list, but I can wholly recommend Witcher 3 for sure. I'm usually not big on super long games, but this one held my interest all the way through the main game and the first big DLC (still planning on getting the 2nd DLC too). It's also gorgeous, which will help justify the fact that you put together a gaming computer.

Two games not on your list that I'd also recommend if you can get them cheap:

South Park - The Stick of Truth
Fun, casual, very funny game that's about the perfect length.

BROFORCE
Cheap, fast, and made of pure joy.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Is there something like a spring sale on Steam and is it similar to this so that you would expect to get the same stuff on sale that's now on sale? Just wondering how much I want to buy "backlog" since it's likely that I can't be arsed to buy from any other sites or platforms besides Steam or possibly GoG in the foreseeable future.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

ItBreathes posted:

List of games to consider:

Get Isaac, Gungeon and Environmental Station Alpha. It should last you a while.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Bolivar posted:

Is there something like a spring sale on Steam and is it similar to this so that you would expect to get the same stuff on sale that's now on sale? Just wondering how much I want to buy "backlog" since it's likely that I can't be arsed to buy from any other sites or platforms besides Steam or possibly GoG in the foreseeable future.
Oh for sure, there is a sale for every season. poo poo is on sale more often than not. That's why the discounts are so underwhelming, I guess.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Has Dishonored 2 been patched enough to be worth playing yet?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ItBreathes posted:

new Wolfenstein(s)
Metro Redux bundle
KOTOR
Bulletstorm

These are all really solid choices. Both Metro Redux games for 6 bucks is a loving steal and will take you a good 20 hours to play both.

The New Order is a great game, you can probably skip The Old Blood unless you're starved for more TNO.

Everyone should play Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure. Bullestorm is a rare gem of a game (there's a remake in the works but it sounds like it's going to be like 50 bucks, and Bulletstorm looks pretty enough as it is tbh).

Out of these I'd go for the Metro pack, but I'm biased. :v:

/edit: Just yesterday I was discussing Afterbirth with a few people and they told me to stay the gently caress away from it since it's garbage. They recommended getting the 'base' Rebirth and getting the free 'Antibirth' mod instead. This is all [citation needed], but the person who recommended it has a good 300+ hours on Binding/Rebirth, so I'm inclined to trust him.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 25, 2016

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

ItBreathes posted:

But I also just bought a car, so I can't spend all that much. Help me narrow down the list of games I'm looking at / recommend any must-plays I've missed.

Will buy:
Binding of Isaac - Afterbirth
Portal 1 + 2

Hopefully cheaper next year:
DOOM4
Witcher 3
Kerbal Space Program
Ori and the Blind Forest
Mass Effect Trilogy - have only played 1, not wild about cover-based shooters

Old School Shooters:
DOOM Classic Complete
Dark Forces / + sequels
Serious Sam 1+2
Quake
Quake 2

Indies:
Enter the Gungeon
Gunpoint
Environmental Station Alpha
Risk of Rain
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Braid - finally cheap
La Mulana

new Wolfenstein(s)
Metro Redux bundle
KOTOR
Bulletstorm
Spore - I know its trash, is it worth $5 too see how far they fell short of that demo video?
Killer is Dead - also trash, but Suda51 / cheap

Gunpoint and Braid are excellent.
Bulletstorm owns.

Spore is horribly disappointing, not just because it fell short of the demo video, but also on its own merits. I still had fun with it at full price back when it came out, so it's probably worth $5.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Crossposting from the Sale Thread:

Mystic Stylez posted:

Can any american goon hook me up with U$1.74 Alpha Protocol from Gamestop? I can Paypal or something, send me a PM here or add me on http://steamcommunity.com/id/mystic_stylez

Here's the link: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/alpha-protocol/70856

Edit: Nevermind, Deakul is really kind and took care of it!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 25, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Axel Serenity posted:

So, MMO babies here, is FFXIV worth it? I'm kind of looking for a new game to play, and I've heard a lot of great things about FF, but I'm unsure about the $15/mo cost. I know it comes with a month free, but it's hard to get a good judgment running around as a lowbie.

I'm mostly a WoW player, for reference, but I only play that via tokens nowadays. I also enjoyed TERA and TSW. I did not care for Neverwinter or Rift if that gives any indication as to what kinds of MMOs I like. The transmog and character options is what appeals to me most about FF.

Im just about to head out so Ill make it quick and someone else can expand on it.

FFXIV is really good, up to a point. It can be played almost entirely solo or with people and it makes very little difference to your enjoyment. The class system is much more robust in terms of playing. The stories and sidequests are amazingly well written for an MMO and the music is probably the best in the entire genre. The transmog and crafting systems are pretty well done too. Honestly my only complaints are how grindy and group oriented the end game are but its going to take you a while to get that far anyway. It was well worth the money I dropped on it last year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm giving away ~400 games to people who know how to FOLLOW THE RULES :)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802816

It's a bit of a delayed response because Christmas, but lots of good games have already been taken and there remain lots of great games to be given away.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm debating with myself about whether to buy Mordheim or not. I'm looking for an RPG that has roguelike random levels to it, and also something with an on going campaign. I'm just not sure if it's going to hold my attention enough. Is it the kind of game that can continue on a sandbox mode forever? I thought about Darkest Dungeons too, but I know that game is going to make me want to pull my hair out. I was thinking about Eisenwald also, but it seemed too much like Expeditions: Conquistador. If anybody has played these, I'd appreciate a viewpoint.

Also, I'll recommend Kitty Powers Matchmaker as an indie game that hasn't gotten any hype despite being pretty great.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/285740/

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I liked Papers Please, ETS2 and My Summer Car. On paper, Jalopy looks like a blend of those three, but I am not convinced that it is any good.

Is it?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm in the mood for a 4X game of some sort but don't have a lot to spend. Endless Space and Galactic Civilisations 2 are both on sale, and both get good reviews. Should I just flip a coin or is there a reason to go for one or the other?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would get Endless Legend instead of either of those.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Do the digital (or physical) GTA V and Vermintide on Amazon activate on steam? I have a gift card and would prefer to use that over real people money since they're the same price as the sale.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would get Endless Legend instead of either of those.
Thanks. Legend is set on a single planet, right? I was sort of in the mood for spaceships, but if it's much better than the other two I could check it out instead.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Addamere posted:

So what are they for? Why would anyone buy them?

You can use trading cards to make badges. Making badges ups your steam level, giving you perks like a larger friend list and other essentially worthless crap.

BUT collecting the cards and crafting badges, especially 'special edition' badges for sales and whatnot, triggers some folks hoarding compulsion. They must have all the things. Therefore they will buy those cards from you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endless Legend is one world, yes. It's from the Endless Space team and they learned a lot of lessons from ES that they put into it. They probably learned more from EL that they will apply to Endless Space 2 which should be coming in 2017.

If you want a space 4X-type game right now I would recommend Stellaris

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Stellaris is too expensive for my Christmas-battered wallet, alas. I'll try Endless Legend. Thanks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's actually a fairly rich area currently with Stellaris and the MoO remake currently out and ES2 coming in six months or so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm the one who recommended Craft the World and I stand by the recommendation. If you are trying to rush through the tech tree (why I don't know) then it could take extra time (like half hour, you'd have to be drunk to have it take 4 hours) to get through something that doesn't directly lead to something else, but Craft the World is not only about the tech tree. Do a Google search on Craft the World images and that'll give you a good idea of what the game can do and look like. Working with your dwarves, prioritizing what they do, dealing with the mobs, this was really good for me and a lot of my friends as well.

It's given me nearly 200 hours of fun, and my friends are close to that as well. For under $8 it's a steal.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Endless Legend is one world, yes. It's from the Endless Space team and they learned a lot of lessons from ES that they put into it. They probably learned more from EL that they will apply to Endless Space 2 which should be coming in 2017.

I would absolutely avoid Stellaris. It's so content lite right now that there's nothing to it beyond your first five or six hours with it. Wait for a year or two and buy it with all the DLC they'll put out to fix it.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It also takes place in the same universe as their other games, so there's a spattering of sci fi elements in it, but I'm not sure if that specifically is why you're after a space 4x. In any event, it is a good game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: Just yesterday I was discussing Afterbirth with a few people and they told me to stay the gently caress away from it since it's garbage. They recommended getting the 'base' Rebirth and getting the free 'Antibirth' mod instead. This is all [citation needed], but the person who recommended it has a good 300+ hours on Binding/Rebirth, so I'm inclined to trust him.

If we're measuring up, as someone with over 1200 hours in Rebirth and Afterbirth I think your "casual" friend is wrong. Furthermore...

But seriously, I would get as much Isaac as possible as it's all great.
The free Antibirth mod runs under the Rebirth version of Isaac, so it certainly makes sense to not install Afterbirth straight away. They both happily coexist, but Afterbirth is really good. It does make the game a little harder, so don't be in a rush to get to it if you have all that other Isaac to complete.

The new DLC is only a few weeks away too, I think.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Gromit posted:

If we're measuring up, as someone with over 1200 hours in Rebirth and Afterbirth I think your "casual" friend is wrong. Furthermore...

But seriously, I would get as much Isaac as possible as it's all great.
The free Antibirth mod runs under the Rebirth version of Isaac, so it certainly makes sense to not install Afterbirth straight away. They both happily coexist, but Afterbirth is really good. It does make the game a little harder, so don't be in a rush to get to it if you have all that other Isaac to complete.

The new DLC is only a few weeks away too, I think.

Fair enough, and I'm glad to have a second opinion on it. Haven't gotten around to playing Rebirth yet, so the conversation started when I mentioned I was considering the 'full pack' with Rebirth + Afterbirth.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've 100%'ed both and your people aren't wrong. Afterbirth adds a couple fun items, but most of them are locked behind the new unfun megabosses, a new unfun character, both of the above, or ridiculous new challenges.

Edit: wow, that came out negative. Get good at Isaac first. If you like it, you'll like enjoy AB. gently caress Sticky Nickels.

Or is it Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 25, 2016

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Is DLgamer a legit site? It's listed on isthereanydeal and their MGSV is cheaper than Steam's.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I used to play the actual tabletop game in middle and high school, but I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on Battlefleet Gothic: Armada. I've been pretty excited to buy it with the Steam gift card I got from my brothers, but I'm having some last-minute jitters.

I just realized that the Space Marine fleet, which was the side I used, (along with an Ork fleet, which was great because half my fleet was loose bits and carved foam asteroids) is DLC. This lead me to reviews of the Space Marine fleet DLC, which were positive. However, I noticed a lot of mentions of multiplayer.

I'm likely going to just play the campaign and then mess around in some skirmishes.

Worth $20+5.99 for DLC?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been enjoying the hell out of Galactic Civilizations 3 for the past 3 months. Space combat is nonexistent, but other than that there are so many good design choices.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any thoughts on Grey Goo? It's less than :10bux: which is a lot cheaper than other games that came out 2 years ago.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Any thoughts on Grey Goo? It's less than :10bux: which is a lot cheaper than other games that came out 2 years ago.

It's a super-generic RTS. Nothing particularly bad about it, but it didn't set me on fire either.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I already own Endless Legend, but never touched it. Are any of the DLC worth picking up?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Was there something wrong with Satellite Reign? I remember wanting it, but I took it off my wishlist, which usually means I found out there was something wrong with it.

But now I can't remember.

Hungry_Need_Brain
Aug 13, 2004

Crip Walker, Texas Ranger

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Is DLgamer a legit site? It's listed on isthereanydeal and their MGSV is cheaper than Steam's.

I just bought MGSV from them for the exact same reason. Activated it on Steam no problem. So, buy away.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Very legit. So much so that I've bought from them a couple times in the past and I had to wait a little bit while they manually verified my purchases. They also use 2 factor authentication.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I already own Endless Legend, but never touched it. Are any of the DLC worth picking up?

If you play the game, sure! But since you've never touched it do you think owning things that expand and better the mechanics will make you want to play it now or not? If not (and I don't imagine they would) then you might spend that money on something else you'd actually enjoy.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Smol posted:

Do you (randomly?) get gift copies of other games when buying games during the sale? I found a gift copy of Offworld Trading Company from my inventory, and I'm pretty sure I haven't bought it myself.

Edit: I do own Offworld Trading Company, but I don't think I've bought an extra gift copy.

If you bought it for someone else and they haven't yet accepted, it'll show up as a gift copy in your inventory.

How is it, by the way? I've been interested in it, but I read that it requires playing multiplayer to be any fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you play the game, sure! But since you've never touched it do you think owning things that expand and better the mechanics will make you want to play it now or not? If not (and I don't imagine they would) then you might spend that money on something else you'd actually enjoy.

Maybe it's like Civ V and Brave New World, you know, that kind of situation.

• Locked thread