Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Blind Sally posted:

I used to moderate a The Thing fan website forum.

What an oddly specific forum. After a while what do you post st about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Slashfic. Fan forums always end up at slashfic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I moderated an LUE spinoff line a decade ago. It mostly was a recognition of service to the community, there wasn't much moderating to do.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'm actually ralp.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm actually ralp.

Wrong account, FAU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Trad Games mod Ettin also moderates, or used to, another trad gaming website, RPG.net.

drat, that sounds awful

could you get ettin here to talk about it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shine posted:

Wrong account, FAU

Sh*t

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Midjack posted:

Slashfic. Fan forums always end up at slashfic.

Hogge Wild posted:

drat, that sounds awful

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

drat, that sounds awful

could you get ettin here to talk about it

I still do, sort of! I'm working on some projects right now and RPGnet has a whole team of other mods so I've been taking it easy.

It's alright, but SA is definitely chiller. A lot of things I'd be expected to probate for over there would just get ignored here, if they got reported at all. On the other hand they never had radium :buddy:

The tabletop community/industry has plenty of drama though so I've seen some poo poo. There's an offsite where folks who got banned have been complaining about it for like ten years, and when RPGnet made me a mod they were convinced Something Awful had "invaded" to install me. I haven't checked in ages but I'm probably a cuck now.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ettin posted:

There's an offsite where folks who got banned have been complaining about it for like ten years

The tabletop version of Something Sensitive?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MANime in the sheets posted:

The trad gaming community online is entirely poo poo like this. It sucks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MANime in the sheets posted:

lmao I'd like to imagine every forum having its own spinoff forum full of haters

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Burt Sexual posted:

The most active subforums were a GBS-like and a Cinema Discusso-like. Occasionally someone would wander in who'd just watched the film and would start up discussion again, but people mostly talked about other things. The forum was long dead before the sequel came out, so the most exciting thing talked about when I was around was The Thing video game.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I know it probably varies dramatically by which forum you moderate, but roughly how much time do you spend doing it in an average day or week? Like two hours a week, or several a day? Does it overlap reasonably with your personal SA browsing, or do you feel like you have to put on your moderator hat for a bit, get poo poo done, and then go back to your own thing?

KK
Dec 26, 2016

by Lowtax
IM RETARDED IDIOT 'DARE' FROM TRIBALWARS

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

lol I've seen AW(aka FAU) and that aint him

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lmao I'd like to imagine every forum having its own spinoff forum full of haters

Pretty much any forum with more than like 50 regular members does, actually. It's pretty much always the same personality type too, even. Those horrible jerks that just refuse to follow the rules, get banned because people are tired of their poo poo, and then get rebanned when they try to come back. So they take their ball and go home only to find that the only people they hang around anymore are jerks that did the same thing while everybody said "good loving riddance" in the original. They tend to not last long unless the community that they spun out of is huge (i.e., like this one). Best part is that the jerks are still jerks so they end up melting down over stupid poo poo and have their own spin offs. It's basically a snake eating its own tail but instead of a snake it's poo poo.

Invariably their community rules involve removing all of the rules that makes an internet forum actually successful. Rules and people to enforce them are absolutely mandatory for an internet community.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am sometimes badly behaved but i want you to know that i was about the same on the ultima online forums and they were far less good-humoured and generally effective about it so congratulations on having a better admin team than the ultima online forums and happy holidays to you all

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ettin posted:

I still do, sort of! I'm working on some projects right now and RPGnet has a whole team of other mods so I've been taking it easy.

It's alright, but SA is definitely chiller. A lot of things I'd be expected to probate for over there would just get ignored here, if they got reported at all. On the other hand they never had radium :buddy:

The tabletop community/industry has plenty of drama though so I've seen some poo poo. There's an offsite where folks who got banned have been complaining about it for like ten years, and when RPGnet made me a mod they were convinced Something Awful had "invaded" to install me. I haven't checked in ages but I'm probably a cuck now.

haha

You make it sound chiller than I thought, but then again I've never posted there, only read some drama that people have linked here. Did anyone from there buy an account here to meltdown about you? And would you mind sharing some dramas from there?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The trad gaming community online is entirely poo poo like this. It sucks.

It's not that bad! :negative: I think the main problem is there's user overlap between the big communities and a lot of them are non-confrontational, so it's easy to be an rear end in a top hat all over the place. (A lot of tabletop chat happens on Google+ these days and good loving luck avoiding drama there.) The paywall seems to help Trad Games though.

Hogge Wild posted:

haha

You make it sound chiller than I thought, but then again I've never posted there, only read some drama that people have linked here. Did anyone from there buy an account here to meltdown about you? And would you mind sharing some dramas from there?

How chill it seems probably depends on how you feel about the rules. RPGnet's got more of them (turns out tabletop gamers like long lists of rules, who knew) and SA just works better for some people. We have goons who post on both though.

Nobody's bought an account to melt down here, they mostly go places they can do it for free. There's an indie guy who hates both SA (because the old mock thread grognards.txt made fun of him) and RPGnet (because we permabanned him and I wrote the ban message), and I know a few TG ex-regulars probably stopped posting because they're fans of his work. I haven't really read his posts for a couple years but he once drew up a conspiracy chart putting Something Awful at the center of an industry-wide plot to make everyone think he's a weirdo, and last I heard he still trawls through online trad games communities for things to melt down about. If people did that poo poo in Trad Games I'd probably just ban them for being boring.

Not sure what else I could tell that isn't too off-topic or too boring (a lot of meltdowns boil down to "which edition of Dungeons & Dragons is better" which is barely interesting from the inside) but there's always this old one about a dude who blew his lid because someone registered an account with his name.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

TrekBBS did. It was 10 years ago and I don't know if they're still around. They always had these weird long term trolling goals that were like...

Step 1) Ingratiate themselves into the forums by spending years writing quality posts.
Step 2) No idea.
Step 3) ???

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But wait, can I get semi-legal research chemicals from a mod in a satanic cult to open my third eye, which I can use to doxx people for blackmail money? Because that one person keeps saying that is how I can get into this pay-for-play scheme.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

But wait, can I get semi-legal research chemicals from a mod in a satanic cult to open my third eye, which I can use to doxx people for blackmail money? Because that one person keeps saying that is how I can get into this pay-for-play scheme.
You have to be a mod.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FactsAreUseless posted:

You have to be a mod.

I'm a mod.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
what is the hell circus all about?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Look! A Horse! posted:

what is the hell circus all about?
It's the FYAD gas chamber. But FYAD also has the beecock option, which lets the IKs gas individual posts, which get sent to the big thread in the hell circus.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Could the beecock power conceivably be granted outside FYAD or is that a bit of stupefyingly obtuse radium-ware that cannot be touched without melting like the Indiana Jones Nazis?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Could the beecock power conceivably be granted outside FYAD or is that a bit of stupefyingly obtuse radium-ware that cannot be touched without melting like the Indiana Jones Nazis?
I have no idea! It's not something I think I'd be in favor of.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ciaphas posted:

If it wasn't a feature of vbulletin in 2001 and wasn't something that Chooch or ZDR added since then it is safe to assume that it is chock full of inscrutable radium code.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Beecocking sends the whole thread to the hell circus, Postcocking sends a post to the "Your Family Reunion" thread.
Oh, right. That makes sense.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Postcock is a funny word.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Postcock is a funny word.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
What is this goon obsession with dick? These forums are like all cock all the time and always have been.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What is this goon obsession with dick? These forums are like all cock all the time and always have been.

Any sufficiently large enough group of men throughout history begin to talk about dicks almost exclusively. People have been scrawling dicks on things since people first started leaving permanent marks on things.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Any sufficiently large enough group of men throughout history begin to talk about dicks almost exclusively. People have been scrawling dicks on things since people first started leaving permanent marks on things.

Exaggerated I bet too

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, dicks are funny.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Also, dicks are funny.

Yours.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Just for the record...I was being sarcastic and have long since embraced my goony love of dongs.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Also, dicks are funny.

And, you know, that. The day that penises and farts quit being funny is the day I no longer want to live.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of if not the only goon collaboration ever to reach sucessful fruit was the GIP dickbook of collected cock & balls graffiti from Iraq and Afghanistan which was actually printed and delivered.

Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i just read what i thought was a really dumb & petty user report from elsewhere on the forum. you mods & admins should have a PYF thread for posting the dumbest reports, PMs and complaints in.

i get that you want people to be able to help out some, but i'm guessing some people are just super entrenched in forum drama bs, or are so frightfully stupid, that sharing the weirdest & dumbest reports or PMs wouldn't prevent people from reporting useful stuff.

• Locked thread