Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Wandle Cax posted:

Is Root letter good? Has anyone played it? Any opinions on it at all. It looks interesting to me and i'd like to try it but not if it's particularly terrible, can only find a few reviews

It's awful. It's the worst thing I've put into my Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wandle Cax posted:

Is Root letter good? Has anyone played it? Any opinions on it at all. It looks interesting to me and i'd like to try it but not if it's particularly terrible, can only find a few reviews

Seconding that Root Letter is horrible. It is incredibly boring the whole way, pretty much none of the characters are interesting, it's slow and the mystery is not particularly interesting or satisfying.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

North America has a flash sale going on. If you want to get stuff like Miku, Shiren, Atelier, and Exist Archive for 40-60% off now's the time.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm beginning to think there won't be deal on ToCS II this year

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just buy it then, it's worth full price anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Policenaut posted:

North America has a flash sale going on. If you want to get stuff like Miku, Shiren, Atelier, and Exist Archive for 40-60% off now's the time.

Shiren is tempting, that game is pretty good right?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

just buy it then, it's worth full price anyway

If it hasn't gone on sale by the time I'm done with the games I'm currently playing then I probably will

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In Training posted:

Shiren is tempting, that game is pretty good right?

It's very good, and has mountains of content to play through aside from the main story if you want

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

lets hang out posted:

It's very good, and has mountains of content to play through aside from the main story if you want

all of the real content is post game this time. the main story is great for getting a feel for how things will work in dungeons...except all of the non main tower dungeons are more vicious!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm beginning to think there won't be deal on ToCS II this year

There's one in the EU sale right now :smug:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

Is there a concept like NG+ or a repeatable post game environment? I really enjoy that kind of feature in handheld RPG/SRPGs.

I'm debating between a few titles atm and Shiren was one of them alongside SAO HR (1.03 apparently fixes the lovely fps drops), TOCS2 and a few others.

I played a friend's copy of God Eater 2 and ngl, I still think SS Delta looks/feels way better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

So the story dungeon is like 35 floors with a couple of towns mixed in, it's got some tricky parts but if you're upgrading your equipment you'll probably get through it without too much trouble. After you beat that you start unlocking side dungeons which range from hard to extremely hard and usually come with special rules, like one where any item that touches the floor disappears instantly, or one where you receive tons of traps and can use them against enemies. These dungeons have anywhere from 20 to 99 floors, and when you beat them they usually increase their floors to 99 if they aren't already there. There are also minigame dungeons that you can tackle any time you want, and they have shitloads of floors themselves. There's one that plays like roguelike minesweeper, another that's a block pushing game, things like that. There are also a bunch of free DLC dungeons to do whenever. It is a huge game.

Also: there are questlines related to NPCs which can result in special events, bosses, and maybe even more dungeons.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 24, 2016

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok that makes it sound pretty darn cool, thanks!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I got Shiren last week on sale and I haven't even beaten the main story yet, having too much fun doing the gimmick dungeon center stuff. There is a lot of stuff in there and the gimmicks add some spice and make it interesting. Permanent night mode (bad vision, monsters basically play king of the hill and murder the poo poo out of you if they catch you, etc), items only from monsters, limited moves, things like that.

Definitely a good purchase at 20 bucks for me.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Just want to chime in and say that Shiren is really great. I defeated the avatar of Reeva this week and still there is so much going on.
I am glad I ordered the physical copy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll echo that Shiren is fantastic. The only thing I don't really enjoy is the night monster/ability mechanic and even that's a minor flaw

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I'll echo that Shiren is fantastic. The only thing I don't really enjoy is the night monster/ability mechanic and even that's a minor flaw

Set crawling confusion to your night bar 3x. set electrocute x2 set Room Heal x2. this setup usually carries me far through the night or gives me time to stall out till the next day.

Enter floor. pop CC all the enemies get pulled to your room and confused. pop electrocute they all take a MAJOR hit (i think it almost always kills for me other than defensive aura'd enemies)
Keeping peaches from other runs is always a decent idea.

Peaches + waterwalk = juicy peaches on demand. Dont take scrolls when doing this. water wets them ?(but doesnt turn them toi blank scrolls or change what they were like in the past)

take a run or two to get like...2 preservation jars worth of peaches get a bracelet (I honestly got my waterwalk through the lucky pot) take your peaches walk in some water.

For maximum utility try to make your trap brace your waterwalk brace. use it only to abuse the poo poo out of your golden card from the points house (the points house is in nekomaneki village bottom center of town. (I somehow managed to miss this building for some time on my playthrough) talk to the guy in town to get a points card for all those gold traps with the blue band through them.

The point house will be your number 1 source of becoming the dungeon god. undo grass for 70 pts
(revive/escape when you die unfortunately these take ultimate priority so if you have other revival items. this always activates first before the others do)

pretty much all the good stuff...DONT BUY GROWTH BRACELETS HERE. they drop like candy through your runs. put them in luck pots to get other effects and you'll be swimming in growth bracelets. any other good weapon you wanna drop in there to make a new weapon will also do this...I think the wish weapons may be the exception but I doubt this somehow.

The Mixer enemy will let you add other things not normally possible to your weapons/armor. the safest way to use him is to take a weapon you arent using but is fine to merge into your weapon and feed it to him then throw healing herbs at him. the 4 types of herb adds 5/10/15/20 hp to your weapon you can do this for your weapon/shield to get +100 base health.

ABUSE. THE. SYSTEM.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 24, 2016

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Is PSYCHO-PASS any good? I've never played that style of game but it's on sale and the description is interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

Set crawling confusion to your night bar 3x. set electrocute x2 set Room Heal x2. this setup usually carries me far through the night or gives me time to stall out till the next day.

Enter floor. pop CC all the enemies get pulled to your room and confused. pop electrocute they all take a MAJOR hit (i think it almost always kills for me other than defensive aura'd enemies)
Keeping peaches from other runs is always a decent idea.

Peaches + waterwalk = juicy peaches on demand. Dont take scrolls when doing this. water wets them ?(but doesnt turn them toi blank scrolls or change what they were like in the past)

take a run or two to get like...2 preservation jars worth of peaches get a bracelet (I honestly got my waterwalk through the lucky pot) take your peaches walk in some water.

For maximum utility try to make your trap brace your waterwalk brace. use it only to abuse the poo poo out of your golden card from the points house (the points house is in nekomaneki village bottom center of town. (I somehow managed to miss this building for some time on my playthrough) talk to the guy in town to get a points card for all those gold traps with the blue band through them.

The point house will be your number 1 source of becoming the dungeon god. undo grass for 70 pts
(revive/escape when you die unfortunately these take ultimate priority so if you have other revival items. this always activates first before the others do)

pretty much all the good stuff...DONT BUY GROWTH BRACELETS HERE. they drop like candy through your runs. put them in luck pots to get other effects and you'll be swimming in growth bracelets. any other good weapon you wanna drop in there to make a new weapon will also do this...I think the wish weapons may be the exception but I doubt this somehow.

The Mixer enemy will let you add other things not normally possible to your weapons/armor. the safest way to use him is to take a weapon you arent using but is fine to merge into your weapon and feed it to him then throw healing herbs at him. the 4 types of herb adds 5/10/15/20 hp to your weapon you can do this for your weapon/shield to get +100 base health.

ABUSE. THE. SYSTEM.

Yeah, I figured out how to abuse the night system, it's just more that I didn't find it very fun/interesting since, as you said, it's mostly about getting a handful of super-strong abilities, using them, and refilling with peaches.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I figured out how to abuse the night system, it's just more that I didn't find it very fun/interesting since, as you said, it's mostly about getting a handful of super-strong abilities, using them, and refilling with peaches.

yeah you cant even fight the night enemies normally as that was the point they want you to scramble for your life at night unless gen is with you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Pirate Captain posted:

Is PSYCHO-PASS any good? I've never played that style of game but it's on sale and the description is interesting.

It will blow one of the big reveals of season 1 of the show if you care about that. Otherwise I believe someone here said it was OK.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So, remembered I have a PS TV today and am in the mood for getting a game or two for it.. was going to get Dungeon Travelers 2 but its not in the sale and cant really go for it for full price and the other recommended Dungeon crawlers(Demon Gaze, Operation Abyss) seem to be more of a pain in the rear end gameplay wise from what Ive read.

So I'm looking at ..

VALKYRIE DRIVE
Criminal Girls 2
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies

So pretty much peak anime(or maybe even over peak) with these choices I guess.. but which ones ?

I'm in the UK for sale/price purposes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

none of those

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Valkyrie Drive is okay, Criminal Girls 2 is vile trash for people who should be in jail and also a bad game, Nep vs SeHa is okay if you like Nep games, Blanc vs Zombies is not okay even if you like Nep games.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There are far better games than any of those for their respective genres but if you really want one of these 4.... I'd go with Valkyrie from what I've heard - at least it has some fun combat. Unlike SKEV I think you can't skip the cutscenes/clothes damaging things though so that's a negative point for it.

CG2 is quite likely to put you on a real list of people you don't want to be on, even by Vita standards.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Please buy something cool like I dunno Shiren

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

none of those

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Bought it and man no regrets. Very fun so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish I could like Shiren but I can't handle anything that resembles a roguelike.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Not a fan of the art style at all in Shiren. the Retro pixel thing does nothing for me.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

CG2 is quite likely to put you on a real list of people you don't want to be on, even by Vita standards.

That bad eh ?

Speaking of which what IS with the Vita and anime titty games anyway..it seems like a breeding ground for em.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Has better screen than nintendo ds.

I unironically think that's it. That's all that's needed.

e: Not that other consoles don't get their share of titties, just the ratio is off the scale here

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 25, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mfny posted:

Not a fan of the art style at all in Shiren. the Retro pixel thing does nothing for me.

That bad eh ?

Speaking of which what IS with the Vita and anime titty games anyway..it seems like a breeding ground for em.

Only hardcore otakus have them so they make a lot of games for hardcore otakus.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mfny posted:

That bad eh ?

One of the features listed before it came out was that you torture your "girls" in a weird BDSM kind of rubbing game to power them up.

They make games that sell in the east and apparently the market is even bigger than ever in the West now....

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Truga posted:

Has better screen than nintendo ds.

I unironically think that's it. That's all that's needed.

It's more about the fame of its predecessor (PSP) in the otaku market in Japan. That audience eventually migrated to the 3DS (Mon Hun) and Vita (niche JRPGs and/or titties), so the Vita part of that audience is being catered for, I imagine, especially after Sony bailed out.

Actually, the Vita isn't drastically different than the Sega Saturn back in the late 90's now that I think about it. There's a ridiculous amount of anime titty garbage on the Saturn that never showed up anywhere near the PS1 or N64. Everything from all sorts of dating sims, visual novels, photo collections of bikini models (no joke), RPG Maker quality JRPGs with scantily clad anime ladies, and even attempts at making interactable girlfriend sort of thingies like Love Plus (Roommate series).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're right the Saturn was epic.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Midjack posted:

It will blow one of the big reveals of season 1 of the show if you care about that. Otherwise I believe someone here said it was OK.

Cool, thanks. I don't care about the show (unless I love the game I guess?) so I'll check it out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Pirate Captain posted:

Cool, thanks. I don't care about the show (unless I love the game I guess?) so I'll check it out.

The show's really good and I'd definitely recommend watching it, preferably first, but knowing the reveal ahead of time doesn't make the show any worse, I guess.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

mfny posted:

So, remembered I have a PS TV today and am in the mood for getting a game or two for it.. was going to get Dungeon Travelers 2 but its not in the sale and cant really go for it for full price and the other recommended Dungeon crawlers(Demon Gaze, Operation Abyss) seem to be more of a pain in the rear end gameplay wise from what Ive read.

So I'm looking at ..

VALKYRIE DRIVE
Criminal Girls 2
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies

So pretty much peak anime(or maybe even over peak) with these choices I guess.. but which ones ?

I'm in the UK for sale/price purposes.

Valkyrie Drive for sure. The two Neptune games on the sale are pretty much watered down versions and pretty mediocre takes on VD's combat system.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Superdimension is a turn based rpg, not a beat' em up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

In Training posted:

You're right the Saturn was epic.

You know it, brother :hfive: