Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I've only really ever played Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers. Gunstar is super fun and I prefer it over Contra and Mischief Makers is one of my favorite games ever.

I heard Wario World is really good too.

I like Contra better than Gunstar Heroes, but not because Gunstar Heroes is bad; I just like the way that Contra handles a bit better.

Wario World is one of my least favorite treasure games. It just plays poorly in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

Wario World is one of my least favorite treasure games. It just plays poorly in general.

Yeah, I never played it myself so it was just hearsay to me.

Now that I think about it I've also played Sin and Punishment and really didn't like it (:can:). It was the awful controls, mostly, but I played the Wii VC version with Classic and GameCube controllers. Not sure how it is on N64.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Wario World is, sadly, aggressively mediocre.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ambitious Spider posted:

so looks like the mega man nes games are coming to IOS, so if you wanted those gutsman platforms to be even harder...

Didn't they already release them for the iPhone and iPad like 6 years ago? I remember people complaining it was really unfun to play with touch controls.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ambitious Spider posted:

so looks like the mega man nes games are coming to IOS, so if you wanted those gutsman platforms to be even harder...

No, it's actually the iMode ports of the games, so they're easier and have weird scaling and difficulty.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I shared this with the "CRT Collective" folks on Facebook (read: well-meaning hoarders of CRTs), and thought you guys might dig it too. I had the best film on for the shot:

"Well, I'll be. I can remember back when all we had were wood-burnin' cats. Lord, what'll they think of next?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My reaction on playing Bangai-o: "This is fantastic! Why don't I already own this game?! Let me go on eBay and just... Oh, right. Treasure."

So Bangai-o is the game for people who want to recreate these scenes:

(Weirdly enough, when I did a google image search for "macross missiles" pretty much the first hit was talking about Bangai-o.)

You float around levels in your robot and just fire giant homing missile barrages at anything that happens to be there. Eventually you reach another robot that you yell at and then fire giant homing missile barrages at until it dies. It's not a terribly complex game: fire dozens of missiles a second, blow up other robots, houses, and buildings, collect fruit, move on. Still, it's loads of fun to just go crazy with your shots.

The sticker shock was really bad on this, but there was a sequel released for the Nintendo DS that I went ahead and ordered.

On the Treasure rating scale I give this a "Hidden Ancient McGuffin That Will Give Someone the Power to Conquer the World and Which the Villain Snatches From You Right After You Get It with the Intention of Keeping It Out of Their Hands".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

The sticker shock was really bad on this, but there was a sequel released for the Nintendo DS that I went ahead and ordered.

There are 4 Bangai-O games! The N64 original, a Dreamcast version which is more of a remix than a sequel, the DS game and an XBLA version subtitled Missile Fury.

The DS version has a cool old-school level-sharing gimmick: you can output your custom stages as audio files and import custom levels by playing those audio files into the DS' microphone (and it actually works unlike pretty much every other DS mic gimmick!).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah it's really rad. Sadly QR codes have kind of subsumed audio files as a method of decentralized distribution of encoded data but it's a perfect fit for the DS. Level sharing without server!

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009

Miles McCloud posted:

I had one with a similar problem I fixed by reflowing the controller port's solder points.

Yeah, I'm betting it's the same problem, the pins are clean and straight. Going to try this fix, thanks!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I shared this with the "CRT Collective" folks on Facebook (read: well-meaning hoarders of CRTs), and thought you guys might dig it too. I had the best film on for the shot:

"Well, I'll be. I can remember back when all we had were wood-burnin' cats. Lord, what'll they think of next?"

Hey, I recognize this from that Facebook group.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One more Treasure game I've played for the first time today in brief: Tiny Toons Adventures: Scary Dreams.

It plays like a much, much worse Guardian Heroes. It's a side scroller, but you move around empty levels and stop to beat up large groups of enemies. So a 2D beat-'em-up. The thing is that the attacks are extremely limited. You have a very short range punch, a special attack that you have to charge up, and a helper character that you can summon. You have the ability to knock enemies into each other, also. The limited options makes combat incredibly bland and the fact that your basic attack has almost no reach is just annoying. The whole thing winds up being not much fun to play.

On the Treasure scale, I'd rank it "Al Capone's Vault".

So now the essentially only Treasure games I haven't played are a couple of licensed games on the GBA (not Astro Boy; I've played that), their Bleach games where they apparently made a stack of them, and that arena fighter for the PS1.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Random Stranger posted:

On the Treasure scale, I'd rank it "Al Capone's Glove Compartment".

A-HA! ROOOOAAAD MAPS!!

Movies I can't get out of my head: "UHF"

Still, to this day, I don't have to look this up:

"Lesbian Nazi hookers, abducted by aliens and forced into weight-loss programs! All this week, on Town Talk! *gets hit with chair*"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWfRO1yxaXs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Wario World is worth a play. It's not particularly difficult and failure just sets you back time as you solve a weird puzzle or avoid monsters in an underground arena to get back to the main stage. But it's the most physical Wario has been with some great set piece encounters and fast playing arcade action levels which is kind of where Treasure shines.

It's neat that you have a company of arcade veterans who made exclusively console games, not counting Ikaruga and Silvergun which they self published in limited releases. Even their weakest games are technically proficient, fast paced, and focus on big flashy encounters.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Random Stranger posted:

One more Treasure game I've played for the first time today in brief: Tiny Toons Adventures: Scary Dreams.

It plays like a much, much worse Guardian Heroes. It's a side scroller, but you move around empty levels and stop to beat up large groups of enemies. So a 2D beat-'em-up. The thing is that the attacks are extremely limited. You have a very short range punch, a special attack that you have to charge up, and a helper character that you can summon. You have the ability to knock enemies into each other, also. The limited options makes combat incredibly bland and the fact that your basic attack has almost no reach is just annoying. The whole thing winds up being not much fun to play.

On the Treasure scale, I'd rank it "Al Capone's Vault".

So now the essentially only Treasure games I haven't played are a couple of licensed games on the GBA (not Astro Boy; I've played that), their Bleach games where they apparently made a stack of them, and that arena fighter for the PS1.

Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams is pretty much a prototype for Treasure's much better Astro Boy game. It's also really obscure: it came out in Europe as Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream in 2002, but Conspiracy's US version (Scary Dreams) apparently sat in warehouses for several years before someone started selling them on eBay.

Meanwhile, Treasure's unreleased Tiny Toons Adventures: Defenders of the Universe on the PS2 has a lot in common with Rakugaki Showtime (the above-mentioned arena fighter). It's also pretty close to complete, even though it was canceled.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Random Stranger posted:

It occurred to me as I'm sitting here on a day where I have literally nothing to do but wait for people, that I haven't played a few of Treasure's games. So I'm going to fill in some gaps.

First up was McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, which I think was their first released game. And you can see all the signs of what Treasure would become in it. There's the visual style which is very similar to Dynamite Headdy, the bosses with completely confusing patterns, and the strange difficulty curve that goes from absurdly easy to completely insane on a moment's notice.

The worst part of Treasure Land Adventures is the autoscrollers where in some sections you have only one shot at getting through the area safely and you may not know when that is until it's too late. On the Treasure scale I'd rate it as "an empty box with a note saying the real treasure is your friends".

Next up for me is Bangai-O.

Really? I got it a few months ago and I think I beat it in my first play through. Beautiful game and really fun to play, just kinda short/easy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Really? I got it a few months ago and I think I beat it in my first play through. Beautiful game and really fun to play, just kinda short/easy.

I'm thinking of the autoscrolling platforming segments in particular there. Weren't expecting that cloud to behave differently from the other identical clouds? You just lost a life/balloon. Not sure what that ballerina is going to do and watching for a pattern? Sorry, you missed your chance and are now dead.

But yeah, 95% of the game is super easy. It's just that last 5%...

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Kid Fenris posted:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Scary Dreams is pretty much a prototype for Treasure's much better Astro Boy game. It's also really obscure: it came out in Europe as Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream in 2002, but Conspiracy's US version (Scary Dreams) apparently sat in warehouses for several years before someone started selling them on eBay.

Meanwhile, Treasure's unreleased Tiny Toons Adventures: Defenders of the Universe on the PS2 has a lot in common with Rakugaki Showtime (the above-mentioned arena fighter). It's also pretty close to complete, even though it was canceled.

why on earth were they producing tiny toons games that long after the show's popularity

al-azad
May 28, 2009

checksin posted:

why on earth were they producing tiny toons games that long after the show's popularity

It got a pretty big boost when Nickelodeon picked it up in the early aughts.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

checksin posted:

There was a period in the '00s where Treasure was working with a western pulisher called Conspiracy Entertainment that had a bunch of out-of-date licenses like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Land Before Time, etc - the general idea was to grab whatever licenses they could afford in order to gain credibility as a fledgling publisher; as for why TT, I think it was just a case of one of the bizdev guys being a fan of the Konami Tiny Toons games or something.

I think the most interesting game they were ever directly involved with was Stretch Panic, which says everything that needs to be said.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've got a PS2 that I would like to start using again. I don't have any memory cards. I saw on Amazon there's a bunch of what look like cheap Chinese replacements. What's my best bet for getting a ps2 memory card? Ebay for an official one?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

I've got a PS2 that I would like to start using again. I don't have any memory cards. I saw on Amazon there's a bunch of what look like cheap Chinese replacements. What's my best bet for getting a ps2 memory card? Ebay for an official one?

The cheap replacements are fine with the one caveat that I've had some trouble using some 64MB ones I got for softmodding (the softmod installer doesn't recognize it). Definitely buy the offbrand ones and the high capacity ones are good otherwise. This isn't like the PS1 offbrand stuff where it would erase your data randomly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

The cheap replacements are fine with the one caveat that I've had some trouble using some 64MB ones I got for softmodding (the softmod installer doesn't recognize it). Definitely buy the offbrand ones and the high capacity ones are good otherwise. This isn't like the PS1 offbrand stuff where it would erase your data randomly.

I think some of the third-party gamecube ones do that too, don't they? The big 1000+-block ones.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think some of the third-party gamecube ones do that too, don't they? The big 1000+-block ones.

Erase your stuff randomly? I have a couple offbrand GameCube cards and they've been fine, though they're not high capacity so that might be a possibility.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it was early madcatz cards that did that, maybe.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I couldn't tell you what brand I had, but I did have one of those big third party cards back when I was younger and it did have the tendency to erase itself from time to time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am sneaking into all of your houses tonight and deleting one save from all of your memory cards. I'm especially going to look for saves that are almost but not quite 100% completion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I am sneaking into all of your houses tonight and deleting one save from all of your memory cards. I'm especially going to look for saves that are almost but not quite 100% completion.

You come near my 100% GTA San Andreas save and you'll be leaving minus your thumbs, boyo :toughguy:.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My sister deleted my near 100% Genma Onimusha save off the Xbox hard drive and I still haven't forgiven her.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

checksin posted:

hey if you change that to "transformers" it's how we'll be talking about Platinum in 15 years

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Tiny Toons was off the air for 7 years when Treasure released their game. Transformers is still on the air today.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

A-HA! ROOOOAAAD MAPS!!

Movies I can't get out of my head: "UHF"

Still, to this day, I don't have to look this up:

"Lesbian Nazi hookers, abducted by aliens and forced into weight-loss programs! All this week, on Town Talk! *gets hit with chair*"

Hell yeah, brotha :hfive:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

senrath posted:

Tiny Toons was off the air for 7 years when Treasure released their game. Transformers is still on the air today.

Not the version Platinum made a game based off of. G1's been dead outside of things specifically targeted at old nerds since the 80s.

e: to put it in perspective with Transformers' sibling franchise, TF: Devastation is kind of like if someone made a My Little Pony game based off the old-school, vaguely creepy-looking ponies while Friendship is Magic was on the air.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not the version Platinum made a game based off of. G1's been dead outside of things specifically targeted at old nerds since the 80s.

e: to put it in perspective with Transformers' sibling franchise, TF: Devastation is kind of like if someone made a My Little Pony game based off the old-school, vaguely creepy-looking ponies while Friendship is Magic was on the air.

G1's kept on trucking in comics, toys and hell just general pop culture. It's been as dead as Star Trek: The Original Series.

Hell just turning out a new series every couple of years is gonna remind people the original exists.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, Devastation was part of the Generations line of toys, which is still getting additions. It would be more like if someone made a My Little Pony game based off the old-school, vaguely creepy-looking ponies while Friendship is Magic was on the air and Hasbro was still actively marketing and pushing the old designs alongside the new ones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So Double Dragon IV is going to be a thing and they're sticking with NES style graphics I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0f8RV4Q8t4

PS4 and Steam.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Finally we can see what happened between the mess that is The Rosetta Stone and the huge mess that is The Shadow Falls.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Elliotw2 posted:

Finally we can see what happened between the mess that is The Rosetta Stone and the huge mess that is The Shadow Falls.

Best case scenario is that Rosetta Stone is more or less ignored and The Shadow Falls never happened. gently caress Tradewest about that by the way. Years later I'm still mad at that piece of poo poo and the terrible cartoon they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there any kind of unmentioned harm in buying replacement SP batteries? These, namely. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-850mAh-3...a0AAOSw~gRVwYKW

I've started to notice my SP will die relatively quickly (maybe 2 hours?) and won't charge unless the red light comes on first. If I plug it in when the console is on green, it just won't charge at all.

• Locked thread