Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

"Hey, I'm gonna buy Titanfall 2. That cool with you?"

"Sure. Is that the one with the giant robots?"

or

"I'm going to lunch with Lindsey just to give you a heads up."

"Okie Dokie, will you bring me something to eat when you're done?"

I don't know how I survive.

I think they're envisioning "I'm going to buy a pack of gum, okay?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think they're envisioning "I'm going to buy a pack of gum, okay?"

Ah, my post was pretty unclear. That's not what I meant at all.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

What's the total petty cash you are allowed to use before getting authorization from HR? somewhere between the expense of a pack of gum and a lunch out?

most companies let you expense out lunch without authorization

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.
Joint accounts and checking with your wife before spending seems really weird to me. We have completely separate money and couldn't give a poo poo what each other is spending as long as the bills get paid and some money is getting saved.

Joint accounts is for naughty boys who need a responsible adult to make sure they don't spend the mortgage money on sweets

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

nobody gives a gently caress about your personal life and choices. the worst part of this thread is when people start sharing what they do in their lives. it's not a journal.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about your personal life and choices. the worst part of this thread is when people start sharing what they do in their lives. it's not a journal.

No but don't you see that I do this thing this way, and you do it that way so you must be stupid

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

"Hey, I'm gonna buy Titanfall 2. That cool with you?"

"Sure. Is that the one with the giant robots?"

or

"I'm going to lunch with Lindsey just to give you a heads up."

"Okie Dokie, will you bring me something to eat when you're done?"

I don't know how I survive.

I think it's simply, some people have hangups discussing money issues and clearing spending with each other, whereas other couples have hangups elsewhere. Like, for my wife and I, it's never been an issue being like "hey, I want to get this, " "Cool, we'll check our joint discretionary fund and see if there's room... Hey maybe I can put off this other thing I wanted so you can get your thing this month and I'll get mine next month..." And we both get whatever we want faster since whomever makes less isn't limited by their own earning power.

But other couples seem to utterly dread this kind of conversation. Couples that are normal and functional. So I just think for some couples, handling money is more rife with possible points of contention whereas for other couples their potential fights come from other issues (like pretending to not hear each others safewords.)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Joint accounts and checking with your wife before spending seems really weird to me. We have completely separate money and couldn't give a poo poo what each other is spending as long as the bills get paid and some money is getting saved.

Joint accounts is for naughty boys who need a responsible adult to make sure they don't spend the mortgage money on sweets

But I want my wife to get things she wants as fast as possible, and she wants the same for me. Having joint accounts allows that to happen. If one of us has an off month, but the other made a lot, joint accounts prevent one person from not getting something they'd like while their SO just sits on extra money.

I always wonder what's going to happen when separate accounts couples have kids, which almost unilaterally result in one side taking off more work to do childcare

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Split accounts seem more in line with this than anything. Y'all have at least some trust issues to inconvenience yourselves like that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Drunk Nerds posted:

But I want my wife to get things she wants as fast as possible, and she wants the same for me. Having joint accounts allows that to happen. If one of us has an off month, but the other made a lot, joint accounts prevent one person from not getting something they'd like while their SO just sits on extra money.

I always wonder what's going to happen when separate accounts couples have kids, which almost unilaterally result in one side taking off more work to do childcare

One parent (often mom) ends up being the one to spend her money on necessary kids stuff while the other spouse buys Titanfall 2 for himself. This is somewhat that happened to my sister in law.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

My 24m girlfriend 23f REALLY likes biting. I don't.

quote:

My girlfriend is a biter. I'm a little bit of a biter, but she has told me that she loves it. Well.. to be more accurate I'm a nibbler who bites harder when asked for it.
During sex she will often do it back and I am usually fine with it. What I have issues with is that in cuddling, and other non-sexual interactions, she still bites REALLY loving HARD. It's painful, and she bites the same spots repeatedly. These spots have become chronically sore. In the moment it happens, I will tell her not to do it, and she will say she will get better, but she hasn't. I don't know what to do. This might be a dealbreaker for me. I have yet to decide whether I accept it or not. I wouldn't even mind if it was a nibble, but it seems as if she is borderline sadist when she bites.

I'll apologize for my attempted derail with actual content.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 25, 2016

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
He needs to cork her teeth like an alligator

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CabaretVoltaire posted:

Now that I reread this, I realize either I can't get my head around what your'e saying, or else it contains some sort of a typo.

With joint accounts, there is a risk of spending all of your partner's money
With separate accounts, there's no risk of spending all of your partner's money

So, you can see why I'm confused by what I perceive to be the argument that joint accounts are for people at risk of spending all the money?

Panfilo posted:

One parent (often mom) ends up being the one to spend her money on necessary kids stuff while the other spouse buys Titanfall 2 for himself. This is somewhat that happened to my sister in law.

Oh hey, I totally get that it's good for some couples. My argument is that both strategies are valid and can be optimal for different relationships, so you can see why this will never fly in GBS

Edit: Whoops, I'm continuing a derail. Sorry. I'm just going to go fill out the forms to ask my wife if there's room in the budget for a well-done steak and ketchup sandwich

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 25, 2016

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

One of the comments:

quote:

I don't know hiw you're going to choose to resolve this, but if you stay together, could you get her something else to bite? I'm not sure what's available for this, but maybe you two could look into some sort of gag or a harness or something she could sink her teeth into instead of you?

It's simple! To ensure a mentally and physically stable relationship, just muzzle your girlfriend when you come into close contact.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Also, agreeing with the poster who pointed out that the 15 year old reuined his chance to exchange the game for the game he wanted. Wow

Did anyone get the feeling there might have been something unstated... I kind of pictured the mom utterly doting over the 3-year-old and ignoring the 15 year old. This would make the teen's getting upset at perceiving she didn't even care enough to buy him the present he (in his own mind) had clearly written down way less irrational. Then the dad is like "yo, you both got issues, I ain't the one dealing with this."

The way she chose to tell her story is what made me think this: She explains all about the three year old and how he got a toy from santa and how her sister did the right thing by telling her child never to act like that and literally none of that has anything to do with her story

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 25, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Your fan fiction needs more detail to really bring the setting to life.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Did anyone get the feeling there might have been something unstated... I kind of pictured the mom utterly doting over the 3-year-old and ignoring the 15 year old.

The kid probably wanted Titanfall 2 instead of the old game which is the funniest part of all this.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Goons are autistic creatures who assume you mean fastidious book keeping over every single expense rather than say, major expenses like new white goods or furniture.

This thread has ruined their ability to believe in common sense even among their own number

Wretched is the goon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spray bottle filled with water is the obvious next step here.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Goons are autistic creatures who assume you mean fastidious book keeping over every single expense rather than say, major expenses like new white goods or furniture.

This thread has ruined their ability to believe in common sense even among their own number

Wretched is the goon.

why the goods gotta be white

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think this totally normal thing is for retards and babies.

Weird, because I think this thing that's also pretty common is for weirdos and people who can't trust their partners.

loving goons

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Wretched is the goon.

The example was literally going out for a lunch.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
My husband and I have separate accounts, but we're both grown-ups who are good with money so we don't feel the need to check in on each other's poo poo all the time. If one of us is going to make a big purchase, we usually say 'hey I'm going to go buy x', and the other one says 'cool we need an x', and that's about it. Now, granted, we both make good money so we're not in a position where we need to scrutinize our spending, but we generally buy ourselves things as desired and it hasn't caused any issues. This system definitely wouldn't work for everyone, but we've been doing it for a decade without any issues.

Point is, there's lots of ways to negotiate spending in a relationship. Ultimately, the best way is the one you can both agree on and both stick to.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

op should get that disgusting tasting chemical stuff they sell to keep kids from biting their nails and put it on the places she usually bites.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that verbally abusive bf would've become physically abusive at some point since he thinks striking children is a ok.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

My [25/F] friend [23/M] gifted me a very expensive piece of jewelry for Christmas. I'm worried he may feel differently for me than I do for him.

We've been friends for three years. In that time, he has always given me a poo poo ton of unnecessary attention. He always, always insists on bringing me soup when I'm feeling sick, calling me at the stroke of midnight on my birthday for the past three years, and even once on NYE, and he also makes a point to "interview" the guys I date. Honestly, this behaviour could easily be typical friend stuff ... and although our other friends have teased me now and again saying he likes me, I've always ignored the signs.

For a long time I've thought he's just extra nice, and that he doesn't have secret feelings for me, but after opening the gift he got me for Christmas this year ... I don't know.

It's a very expensive necklace from Tiffany's. Over a grand CDN. The very second I unwrapped the box and saw the Tiffany blue, I felt my stomach drop. I told him I couldn't accept it, but he insisted I keep it ... honestly, I don't wear jewelry, and even if I did, I wouldn't accept something like this from someone who is neither family nor an SO. I feel extra bad because I know he spent like two months rent on it. I currently have the necklace in my possession, but I want to have a talk with him after Christmas, maybe on boxing day, and ask what's going on.

Call me crazy, but guys don't typically purchase Tiffany's necklaces for girls they don't have feelings for, no?

I would have pulled him aside at the friends party and talked to him right then and there, but 20+ of our friends were present. I didn't want to embarrass him. I figure it's best to handle the matter in a private setting.

What should I say? And how do I give him the necklace back without coming off ungrateful? There's no way I'm going to keep it. No way. First, it's far too expensive. Second, if he does like me, I don't want to give him the wrong idea. Third, it's high time I talk to him about boundaries and that he can't just buy someone's affection.

tl;dr He's always given me extra special attention. I had myself convinced he was just nice, but now he's gone and gifted me a pricy necklace for Christmas, worth over a thousand Canadian dollars, and I'm left feeling completely uncomfortable with the gesture. I'm going to talk to him, I just need to figure out what to say, and how to give the necklace back without coming off rude or ungrateful.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hahaha what kind of creep spends a grand on a "friend" gift? Jesus christ.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That guy is a textbook "nice guy"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chichevache posted:

Hahaha what kind of creep spends a grand on a "friend" gift? Jesus christ.

He's a secret millionaire, only there's no hot water at his apartment so she never knew.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

He paid a grand for a ticket to the zone... and its not the Bone Zone™

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he's post-college he should've grown out of that poo poo freshman year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That guy is a textbook "nice guy"

You think he's got a hat, a goatee, or a penchant for referring to himself as a "gentleman"?

Or the whole trifecta?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i would say thanks, and tell my pal how sexy the necklace made me look. so sexy I went out and got hosed by a dozen guys, which I will now tell you about in exhausting detail

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Take the necklace you fool

mine that guy

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Thought i'd check the comments (jesus reddit is a mess to navigate), I was expecting nice guys saying she should give him a chance but its pretty sensible

Except maybe this

quote:

It's possible (though not terribly likely IMO) that it's platonic. I have a friend who I've had for years now who acts like sort of a doting older brother/bestie to me. He once gifted me a nice bike that he built up (!). I myself wondered for a minute if he was crushing on me, but honestly...he's not. He just isn't. I'm just one of his super favorite people and he's a sweet (and awkward) person.
Still, can't say one way or another about yours!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish dorky awkward girls would buy me expensive gifts in the hopes of getting my dick

imagine all the cool stuff you could get

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Zzulu posted:

i wish dorky awkward girls would buy me expensive gifts in the hopes of getting my dick

imagine all the cool stuff you could get

It's less fun when you have to give it all back to completely sever and get them to leave you the gently caress alone

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also, agreeing with the poster who pointed out that the 15 year old reuined his chance to exchange the game for the game he wanted. Wow

Did anyone get the feeling there might have been something unstated... I kind of pictured the mom utterly doting over the 3-year-old and ignoring the 15 year old. This would make the teen's getting upset at perceiving she didn't even care enough to buy him the present he (in his own mind) had clearly written down way less irrational. Then the dad is like "yo, you both got issues, I ain't the one dealing with this."

The way she chose to tell her story is what made me think this: She explains all about the three year old and how he got a toy from santa and how her sister did the right thing by telling her child never to act like that and literally none of that has anything to do with her story

The 3-year-old is a step-nephew or something, whose mother and new step-father are visiting for Christmas. They're not permanent residents. A 15-year-old should be able to tolerate sharing attention for a day or two.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ravenkult posted:

why the goods gotta be white

Well, they're not bads, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Rutibex posted:

i would say thanks, and tell my pal how sexy the necklace made me look. so sexy I went out and got hosed by a dozen guys, which I will now tell you about in exhausting detail

Slut