Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are a few starting points where you're automatically blended it and if you leave you'll be spotted instantly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
hokkaido looks like it's gonna be loving amazing. i've been mostly powering through the story just replaying stuff once or twice tops but man this game is a blast

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

frank.club posted:

There are a few starting points where you're automatically blended it and if you leave you'll be spotted instantly lol

you gotta pay the role toll, if you wanna get into this ploy's goal

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

hokkaido looks like it's gonna be loving amazing. i've been mostly powering through the story just replaying stuff once or twice tops but man this game is a blast

Hokkaido does some cool things to ramp up the challenge

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh awesome one of the mastery rewards is being able to start in the morgue disguised as a corpse lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that should be a trophy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I get back to playing Bangkok I may end up streaming my attempt if people would wanna see my dry run methodology.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

Whenever I get back to playing Bangkok I may end up streaming my attempt if people would wanna see my dry run methodology.

I will tune in if i'm not doing anything else

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I don't know how to do a suit only in Paris.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

The first guy was tricky but the upstairs lady is super easy to kill.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So what gameplay options do people have on and off? I have Opportunities, Instinct, and the minimap off, and everything else as normal.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im the same except I have minimap on with the target indicators off. I may turn it off now that Im learning how to play the game better. I do wish there was a way to just have a trespassing indicator independent of the minimap.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like the minimap tbh. I have that and the dots above people's heads because sometimes the guys who can spot you are really fuckin arbitrary

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didnt even realize the game had a fullblown map tab until 25 hours in.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like the minimap tbh. I have that and the dots above people's heads because sometimes the guys who can spot you are really fuckin arbitrary
I can't even imagine turning the dots off. How would you tell who's going to find you suspicious? It's such a core gameplay mechanic that it seems silly to turn off.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I can't even imagine turning the dots off. How would you tell who's going to find you suspicious? It's such a core gameplay mechanic that it seems silly to turn off.

The one thing Id say against this game is that who is suspicious when youre wearing their outfit is mildly arbitrary, and its annoying because on some maps they have a really good reason/character design explaining it (like Marrakesh where the officers all know youre not a real soldier and theyre wearing red caps) but in a lot of levels its just like one dude chilling by a car knows youre a faker. If there was more of a 1:1 on that mechanic Id be ok with turning the dots off. WOuld also make the game world feel even cooler to live in

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its cute that in bangkok one of the front desk guys can see through nearly all of your disguses, cuz hes on top of his poo poo and knows who checked in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

The one thing Id say against this game is that who is suspicious when youre wearing their outfit is mildly arbitrary, and its annoying because on some maps they have a really good reason/character design explaining it (like Marrakesh where the officers all know youre not a real soldier and theyre wearing red caps) but in a lot of levels its just like one dude chilling by a car knows youre a faker. If there was more of a 1:1 on that mechanic Id be ok with turning the dots off. WOuld also make the game world feel even cooler to live in
yeah it's absolutely the clumsiest part of the game. It's not enough to ruin it or anything but I hope they figure out a more elegant way to do it in future. Still bettter than Hitman 2 where if you accidentally walked more quickly than usual all your friends would immediately blow you up with machine guns and bazookas

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I'm fine with just handwaving it as "some of the people know their coworkers better than others" because at least it's consistent in that you'll largely be recognized by people in the same outfits or direct superiors in like security. So personal bodyguards might be more suspicious of you if you're in a security outfit, but the gardeners won't care. And they might let a gardener get closer to the target, but of course you'll be trespassing in the places you want to go. So there's a logic to it that's fun, even if it's transparently game logic. I like that this game is willing to sacrifice realism for playability.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also think its really cool that servant class outfits are more invisible to your rich rear end in a top hat targets and the people they surround themselves with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I also think its really cool that servant class outfits are more invisible to your rich rear end in a top hat targets and the people they surround themselves with.
It's pretty great. I like that in the labs in Sapienza, if you're a scientist other scientists will be suspicious, and if you're security other security will, but never cross-job. None of them know each other. It's neat.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's pretty great. I like that in the labs in Sapienza, if you're a scientist other scientists will be suspicious, and if you're security other security will, but never cross-job. None of them know each other. It's neat.

That was the entire idea behind Absolution's disguise system--anyone in the same outfit as you would be suspicious of you but anyone in a different one wouldn't, in addition to the usual stuff like disguises dictating where you can go and what weapons you can carry. Instinct was also a limited-use thing that you could burn to avoid suspicion from people in the same costume. It was a cool idea and in a way I liked the consistency of it over the mostly random nature of 2016 but I still prefer 2016's way overall.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tumor looking batty posted:

it's super easy and you can actually do both at once

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i think the current system is a happy medium between blood money (your disguise works 100% of the time and only affects where you're allowed to go) and absolution (everyone with the same disguise as you will see through it, everyone else is completely fooled). having suspicion as a UI element is a bit unfortunate but i don't see how they could do it otherwise and i figure it's something like 47 picking up on subtle cues that someone's watching him and getting suspicious.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I want to get this for a friend on PS4 for Christmas. Is it all pre order except on psn? Basically, how do I go about doing so? Amazon was preorder but i also didn't look very hard because I'm mad at him. Thanks

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oddium posted:

it's super easy and you can actually do both at once

So how do you actually do this, without the bidders and guards seeing? I've tried it, but it just doesn't quite work for me. In the end I had to make do with other methods, which I can post if people happen to want to know (phone-posting right now, so I won't bother, otherwise)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Maestro posted:

I want to get this for a friend on PS4 for Christmas. Is it all pre order except on psn? Basically, how do I go about doing so? Amazon was preorder but i also didn't look very hard because I'm mad at him. Thanks

disc version comes out at the end of january

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Major Isoor posted:

So how do you actually do this, without the bidders and guards seeing? I've tried it, but it just doesn't quite work for me. In the end I had to make do with other methods, which I can post if people happen to want to know (phone-posting right now, so I won't bother, otherwise)

I just did this the other day, but the guard on the balcony with Margolis is distracted by the fireworks. Novikov's bodyguard will of course find the bodies, but it's an accident kill.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

20/20 mastery in all levels. drat good game, now to start really loving around

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok im gonna try streaming this in a bit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been trying to get into this game for a while, I don't seem to be able to play it in spurts of more than an hour

Still haven't done anything other than Paris but my last go was pretty epic entirely by accident

Ciaphas posted:

I forced myself over the last hour to play a game and chose Paris again, because I still haven't opened the other levels on account of not really knowing what I'm doing

I wanted to try to get a kill with the sniper rifle from one of the gantries, like in the trailer, so I smuggled it in to the area below that stairway where the bozo is introduced

Instead I ended up overhearing someone say they had an invite to the auction, stole it, went upstairs (getting a challenge), (ed)sitting at the auction in my tux and getting a challenge for being Mr. Rieper, stole a cicada costume, garroted Dahlia in the bathroom (getting another challenge), found that she had lethal poison on her (:psyduck:), went downstairs, overheard yet another conversation about the other dork's favorite drink, stole a maitre'd suit, mixed it (yet ANOTHER challenge), poisoned him with it (challenge), and left (No Evidence, Master Assassin)

wtf just even happened

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I've been trying to get into this game for a while, I don't seem to be able to play it in spurts of more than an hour

Still haven't done anything other than Paris but my last go was pretty epic entirely by accident

its a good game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Did a Sarajevo Six run yesterday and managed to SA all but The Mercenary in Colorado. Lots of fun and the final mission is pretty cool. Also did the escalations in the ICA Training Facility and a couple in Paris. It's really cool how the different escalation levels make you try totally new approaches you otherwise wouldn't. I found ways into the faux-Cuban military base that I hadn't known about beforehand.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got no plans today so I made a big mug of coffee and may play Bangkok for 8 hours straight

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

as the year closes, i'd like to say "congrats", to everyone who played this masterpiece of a goty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol I like 47 trying to be coy when he's talking with the artist when you're the drummer

"So we are looking for a new drummer to carry out some new recordings"
"...someone who can carry out a hit without being seen?"
"Uhhhh sure"
"Good. That's my specialty."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

lol I like 47 trying to be coy when he's talking with the artist when you're the drummer

"So we are looking for a new drummer to carry out some new recordings"
"...someone who can carry out a hit without being seen?"
"Uhhhh sure"
"Good. That's my specialty."

i like listening to the drummer in the bar, hes really nervous that Dexy hasnt called him upstairs yet, but doesn't want to go up there himself and seem too eager

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I think Colorado is my least favorite because of how disjointed it feels. Each target has their own area basically and it's very arbitrary what costume it takes to get into one area versus another. Sorry, only the terrorist in dark black can come in this area. Terrorist in regular black isn't allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i like listening to the drummer in the bar, hes really nervous that Dexy hasnt called him upstairs yet, but doesn't want to go up there himself and seem too eager

I was blended in as a waiter for like 10 minutes listening to his dialogue with that guy talking about his vinyl collection lol

• Locked thread