Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Veteran Lancer, Novice Trooper, Floral Fencer, Aurelia.

Which deck am I playing?

There are lists in all three archetypes that can play this exact sequence.

Sometimes you can tell by what they prioritize, but if you're stumbling on your draws, all of these decks are going to be hitting face. If you're playing a vicious aggro curve, at least two of them are going to trade and honestly if Banner gets the right trades it can too.

As a banner player I can usually recognize another banner by turn 2. If their quick blader ignores mine it is banner (and if they are second and they ignore it they are also poo poo at the mirror)

And if banner doesn't drop something good in 1 and 3 (novice is not optimal there) then it may be difficult to recognize them but they are already at a big disadvantage anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Nages posted:

If they are playing Aurelia they are playing some weird rear end banner deck and aren't doing the thing that banner does to win

The JCG Open says otherwise

Hell, it's come up a couple times in the previous page or so that people are running Aurelia even in aggro sword because she's just that good.

Several classes have a similar core of stuff that shows up in most lists but I'd argue that it's hardest to tell the difference in Sword because they're all executing pretty much the same game plan and barely even respond to stimulus. With forest you watch how they commit vs. keeping the hand full. The Haven cards listed could be a couple things but I'd wager it's the Sister Initiate/Themis midrange Storm Haven list because if they're fighting for the board that hard, they must be getting pressured. And if they're getting pressured that hard, it'd be a lot more likely to see Elana play some heal followers even if they haven't found Elana. Control Blood is more likely to run out a Vania to fight for the board and worry less about holding it for a big damage combo. There's tells in the cards and in the plays.

Sword? Sword plays guys and swings with them. If it's beneficial, even Banner will trade. If there's a win in reach or they want to bait for a big Aurelia, even control will smash face. But more to the point, even if you figure out what type they're running, the question is a lot more academic because knowing it's Banner doesn't mean they're not cramming in Aurelia or Otohime. Knowing they're control doesn't mean they're not running Quickblader. Sword's game plan is so contingent on "just play good stuff" that playing around it is a lot harder. You don't get those moments where you spot an Ancient Elf setup and blow it out with Barrage or seeing your Haven mirror opponent committing little to the board on turn 5, so you punish the Themis setup with amulets.

Only time I feel comfortable saying "yes, Sword is playing type X" when they've run just the cards that show up in every deck is when they make a trade that would be just really unusual for aggro.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 24, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Honestly I just play Banner Sword to build up vials so I can one day craft the super expensive Dragoncraft deck of my dreams.

Whenever non-Face Dragoncraft actually becomes relevant again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they are doing their best to make discard dragon a real thing with this expansion so who knows

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I got my poo poo pushed in by a ramp satan dragon with a god draw once, thought he was a fool dropping phoenix roost vs dshift but next turn he dropped satan and drew some cards, then set me to 1hp and nuked me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The JCG Open says otherwise

Hell, it's come up a couple times in the previous page or so that people are running Aurelia even in aggro sword because she's just that good.

Several classes have a similar core of stuff that shows up in most lists but I'd argue that it's hardest to tell the difference in Sword because they're all executing pretty much the same game plan and barely even respond to stimulus. With forest you watch how they commit vs. keeping the hand full. The Haven cards listed could be a couple things but I'd wager it's the Sister Initiate/Themis midrange Storm Haven list because if they're fighting for the board that hard, they must be getting pressured. And if they're getting pressured that hard, it'd be a lot more likely to see Elana play some heal followers even if they haven't found Elana. Control Blood is more likely to run out a Vania to fight for the board and worry less about holding it for a big damage combo. There's tells in the cards and in the plays.

Sword? Sword plays guys and swings with them. If it's beneficial, even Banner will trade. If there's a win in reach or they want to bait for a big Aurelia, even control will smash face. But more to the point, even if you figure out what type they're running, the question is a lot more academic because knowing it's Banner doesn't mean they're not cramming in Aurelia or Otohime. Knowing they're control doesn't mean they're not running Quickblader. Sword's game plan is so contingent on "just play good stuff" that playing around it is a lot harder. You don't get those moments where you spot an Ancient Elf setup and blow it out with Barrage or seeing your Haven mirror opponent committing little to the board on turn 5, so you punish the Themis setup with amulets.

Only time I feel comfortable saying "yes, Sword is playing type X" when they've run just the cards that show up in every deck is when they make a trade that would be just really unusual for aggro.

Anyways, this is just my A-level experience but, right now, the game is loving infested by midrange sword so I always guess they're running that and banner is most of the time easy to recognize by turn 3.

But midrange is totally the flavor of the week. Like, I have to play less than 3 minions with my Haven deck at all times or else Aurelia is coming down. I don't mind drawing a themis at the start (I only have 2 in my deck) because Otohime is dropping at six like clockwork. The fact that midrange has such high-value duders is kinda annoying but it is fun to guess why are they saving evos and so on and set up a trap. They never expect the Seraph in my "obviously-Elana" deck.

Enjoy otomeme while she's around, all the deal-2 damage to the bodyguards cards should counter her rear end pretty well (I hope so).

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I just downloaded this today and from a look at the mechanics I think I want to play swordcraft or havencraft. I spent some time rerolling and ended up with Moon Al-miraj, Enstatued Seraph, Aurelia x2, Pluto, Odin, Soul Dealer, and Fafnir.

The dumb part of my brain enjoys rerolling but from a look at the card list in the OP it seems this might be one to stick with?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i'd look for more sword legendaries personally, id never willingly steer someone towards haven but yea thats not too bad I think

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah not bad if you want to play sword and haven

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
The most expensive part of storm haven is the one Moon Al-miraj. Just need three Garudas and the bronze/silvers to complete the deck. You don't need themis. The expansion is adding another rush bunny that might be good.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Running into too much Sword to safely play Storm Haven right now so trying out some other lists. Aggro forest is incredibly boring and sometimes loses games for free because it draws the wrong half of the deck but it's largely effective. I wish it had more plays at 4 because that turn sucks poo poo if you're going first.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Does anyone have any tips for putting together decks in Take Two mode? I had a decent run with the swordcraft deck on my first try and a terrible one with Shadowcraft, but in both cases I had absolutely no idea what I was doing for the card picks.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eopia posted:

Does anyone have any tips for putting together decks in Take Two mode? I had a decent run with the swordcraft deck on my first try and a terrible one with Shadowcraft, but in both cases I had absolutely no idea what I was doing for the card picks.

I use this cheat sheet someone made on /vg/ when making picks http://imgur.com/a/Dpbmh

I don't even know if the scores are accurate but my winrate improved a lot anyway after I started using it, also don't just pick blind only on score, pay close attention to your mana curve

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mana curve in this game is very important, especially in take 2, if one player gets ahead early they will get a huge advantage to win, you want to have a good amount of 1/2/3 drops to ensure you have something to drop early, though good 4/5's are arguably more important (the class silvers like Floral Fencer / Dragon Warrior / Priest of the Cudgel especially), and of course pick up some high value lategame when you can. Turn 1 is fairly skippable, it's nice to have one but most people won't so don't worry about it, I usually have a curve something like this:

1- 1-3
2- 6-10
3- 5-8
4- 4-6
5- 2-4
6+ 1-3 each

As you play more you'll learn which cards are especially effective and learn to aim for them more, that cheat sheet looks pretty good for the most part. One of the most important things though is AVOID lovely AMULETS! Unless it's paired with a super-S card like Floral Fencer you never want to draft a bad amulet because they just poo poo up your board and keep you from playing cards.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

I PLAY FATE'S HAND! THIS CARD LETS ME DRAW TWO CARDS FROM MY DECK.

It's so sad seeing a near empty hand Dshift player play 3 cards and suddenly they have a full hand of removals for the next 3 turns. If for some idiotic reason you let Merlin get two attacks off, it's over. The card draw and spellboost on top it is insane value for more than two turns.

I'm 100 points off A0, but honestly I feel like sandbagging because my opponents are all A0 and above playing the same 3 decks even in quick play. Took me 14 games to pick up 3 wins with Shadow using a competitive aggro deck. All Dshift and Elana with turn 4 cudgels/levis.

I've switch to Take Two for the moment and building up quite the gold stockpile averaging 4 wins over 5 sessions. Got two 5-0 back to back playing Dragon drafting a bunch of Siegfrieds and a few Fortes. It's a fun break after dealing with the stale meta of Forest/Dshift/Elana. Sometimes the secret of T2 is getting a good class and going second a bunch. Sword can get a 5-0 run going second even if they draft poo poo cards like Rogue's Creed or Latham.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just did the thing where you pick a random card in a pack and say "ok this one is gonna be a legendary" and it was a rose queen :D

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/shadowverse_jp/status/813293313918808064

So if you have two of the new "reduces countdown by 1 at the end of the turn" cards and a seraph in play, this happens:

- Both cards trigger at the same time, setting the countdown to -1
- Seraph's Last Word triggers once

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

frajaq posted:

I use this cheat sheet someone made on /vg/ when making picks http://imgur.com/a/Dpbmh

I don't even know if the scores are accurate but my winrate improved a lot anyway after I started using it, also don't just pick blind only on score, pay close attention to your mana curve
Some of these numbers are pretty interesting. Island Whale's score feels really high but thinking back to my own experience it's always annoying to deal with. Soul Glutton at 80 is shocking to me as well.

But it's not surprising to see that Beastcall Aria is the best card in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm 100 points off A0, but honestly I feel like sandbagging because my opponents are all A0 and above playing the same 3 decks even in quick play.

Keep in mind that you lose the win streak bonus once you hit the A bracket. The win streak bonus does contribute to score rewards, so you'll actually get them faster if you stay in B bracket.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

Some of these numbers are pretty interesting. Island Whale's score feels really high but thinking back to my own experience it's always annoying to deal with. Soul Glutton at 80 is shocking to me as well.

But it's not surprising to see that Beastcall Aria is the best card in the game.

Turns out a 4/4 plus a 2/1 with storm for 2pp is preeeeettttyyyy good.

Anyways, I finally found out were the rage-quitters went. After the post by the developers saying that they would punish them for that crap I found less of them so I thought that maybe they listened, yeah, right. But no, it's just that A0-A1 people can deal with Elana and Banner pretty well so it took me switching to my "surprise Mary" aggro-jank blood deck to hit the salt mother lode using my always-go-first superpower. Plenty of disconnects after finally stabilizing and setting up a billion taunts on turn 6 only to have Mary plus razory claw (or some other random crap I have in that lovely deck) kill them the next turn.

Somehow a game got to turn 8 and I killed a guy with an evolved Lucifer for the disco-win. Ahahaha.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I started playing this semi casually, with a Dragoncraft deck revolving around getting Satan out ASAP. Not the greatest deck of all, but drat if it isn't fun to suddenly bombard my opponent with suddenly massively OP cards.

That said, is there no separation between player ranks in multiplayer? I'm only beginner rank, but I feel like I'm still facing a lot of really experienced players with a lot of deck synergy. Same thing with take two, though I guess that field's a lot more level.

Also, can ambush block random targeting? Like for example, death sentence?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shark Tower posted:

I started playing this semi casually, with a Dragoncraft deck revolving around getting Satan out ASAP. Not the greatest deck of all, but drat if it isn't fun to suddenly bombard my opponent with suddenly massively OP cards.

That said, is there no separation between player ranks in multiplayer? I'm only beginner rank, but I feel like I'm still facing a lot of really experienced players with a lot of deck synergy. Same thing with take two, though I guess that field's a lot more level.

There is, but I think beginner has a lot of people who tank their ranks intentionally so that they can finish quests more easily. In my experience D and C rank are the softest.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

Nope, ambush and spell immune only affect targeted spells like dance of death or most of runecraft's spells. Sometimes I play a lone Tsubaki with lethal next turn only for her to get fire chained.

The last hour of Christmas a card pack gave to me an animated SatanSantaPrince of Darkness. Thanks a loving lot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Shark Tower posted:

One time I was playing my janky-rear end shadow deck in unranked for my daily. My opponent dopped Phoenix Roost and I got to experience the magic of playing a turn 5 Satan.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

So is Beast Dominator just trash I can get a lot of vials out of

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yes but unless you are looking to make something with the vials right now i would wait and see if the expansion in a few days changes things

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

No Wave posted:

There is, but I think beginner has a lot of people who tank their ranks intentionally so that they can finish quests more easily. In my experience D and C rank are the softest.

haha wow that's a problem. I don't suppose cygame has any intention of addressing that? Cause it's a pretty huge wall for all but the spergiest of rerollers.

Like I've lost to dshift otko's so many times now that I just straight up forfeit the match turn two as soon I see the signs (aka magic missile, wind blast, nothing but spells and spellboost cards, etc.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Shark Tower posted:

Cause it's a pretty huge wall for all but the spergiest of rerollers.
i used a 3 gold banner sword deck. you dont even lose points for losses in beginner rank so i dont think anyone is sandbagging in there.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I guess I just find it weird how many high level decks there are in entry level p2p, like this game attracts nothing but hardcore players. I'm lucky enough that my dragoncraft deck (my only viable deck) has decent enough synergy that I can eke out wins with some consistency. But I can see casual players with makeshift decks being stonewalled for a really long time, and likely get frustrated and stop playing.

Or maybe it's because I keep getting matched with japanese players?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't think that the inscrutable oriental novice is significantly better than anyone else new to the game.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I just started a month ago roughly and don't recall having any particular trouble playing janky decks in ranked until i got to upper C or lower B, sure sometimes you run into someone running a top tier netdeck but even odds are they are not playing it perfectly well or don't have some of the key cards

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you are coming from hs it might seem like people are dropping legendaries on you earlier in the ranks just because it is so much easier to get them in this game from all the initial packs. starting hs i had my starter deck with a few unlocked class cards and i had like 2 free packs to open to augment that. my first hs match was against someone with almost the exact same list of neutrals. here you start with like 40 packs and you can buy a bunch more with easy achievements. just because they have a merlin and some dshifts doesnt necessarily mean they are sandbagging or whatever. they are probably playing that deck pretty poorly.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
yeah also there are budget dshift lists without merlin that are quite cheap and still playable. dshift can seem like an instant-win but there are ways to play around it (kill them before turn 8, spend a bunch of turns not playing minions or only untargetable ones). they frequently get hosed by bad draws too

as dragoncraft you'd want to probably take them out with storm followers since they have so much removal?

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 27, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I got through beginner's with my budget Seraph deck. Hell, my budget Seraph deck has gotten me a good chunk through B.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Until sword stops having a positive win rate against everything but itself I'm done with the ladder.

Your options are win nearly every match that isn't sword or play the mirror forever.

edit: I lied and I'm gonna play sword and be bored as gently caress.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 27, 2016

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
I guess I just find it weird that everyone who plays apparently researches and builds according to meta-defining decks instead of tossing a bunch of important looking cards together and going from there. Like I'm used to the average player being pretty incompetent, which really doesn't seem like the case with beginner matches so far.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

as dragoncraft you'd want to probably take them out with storm followers since they have so much removal?

Well, it's "dragoncraft", in the sense of really just collecting orbs as fast as I can, using emissary to pull Satan/Lucifer/Zirnitra out of my deck (for that purpose, I leave out all other 5+ cards), and then making it to a late enough turn to send them out one after the other. It's usually match-deciding if I can get there, but obviously janky and not gonna fly in higher tier play. I'm pretty much buttered toast to any remotely competent swordcraft players.

I'd love to field Forte, but I suppose that goes without saying for all Dragoncraft players who don't have her. :sigh:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Shark Tower posted:

I guess I just find it weird that everyone who plays apparently researches and builds according to meta-defining decks instead of tossing a bunch of important looking cards together and going from there. Like I'm used to the average player being pretty incompetent, which really doesn't seem like the case with beginner matches so far.

I mean, it's a Japan-based card game whose claim to fame is being like Hearthstone but better, and it's got anime.

That's gonna bring in 1) people who are pretty familiar with CCGs and 2) gross shut-ins.

Those two people are gonna study hard.

edit: Jesus christ I have been turn 9 Seraphed by people who have drawn 0 extra cards twice in the past two days. (Which implies they still drew enough on curve to not just die when plopping down the Seraph.) That is some insanely good drawing.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 27, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shark Tower posted:

Welcome to competitive digital CCGs, where everybody netdecks!

Thousands were running patches the pirate warrior decks pretty much as soon as the new heartstone expansion launched, for instance.

In any case, as long as you are not ranked close to masters (where people actually play decks properly) you can deviate from the standard meta decks and still do fine. I consistently get wins in A1 with my lovely banner or my lovely Elana just because I surprise the other player with some weird card that has worked for me. I would like to say I also get consistent wins with my lovely blood deck but that thing is an unreliable mess, but a hilarious one. I can just taste their confusion when I drop my Barbaric Demon (I run a suicide aggro deck that hopes to get itself into vengeance by turn 5 or so) or the 3 mana 4/4 I run just for the heck of it, that thing is suspicious as all gently caress.

The thing is that even with netdecks most players are terrible at adapting to the opponent's deck and do stupid poo poo like getting value trades against storm-based decks or saving important cards for later, when it is actually too late.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/shadowversegame/status/813565236779175936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've rerolled into private match missions four times in the last two weeks

Also I'm thinking that new forest legendary will be fun with santa... definitely will experiment

• Locked thread