Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Doresh posted:

Caster Supremacy has become so bad that the casters fear an uprising of the Linears. To apease the masses, they orchestrate the rise of fighter heroes to generate the illusion that even non-casters can accomplish great things.

Im going to try and remember this one for the future. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

AlphaDog posted:

So I want to try a game where players get 2 characters, one simple and one complex. Probably throw all casters on the complex side, but how to divide the rest?

I think you could pretty safely file all non-casters and half-casters under "not complex" despite some being more competent than others.

I don't think any version of the Ranger to-date could be called complex, though some iterations are more competent than others. Paladins are good, Monks are kinda on the fence, Fighter/Rogue/Barbarian are meh.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

P.d0t posted:

I think you could pretty safely file all non-casters and half-casters under "not complex" despite some being more competent than others.

I don't think any version of the Ranger to-date could be called complex, though some iterations are more competent than others. Paladins are good, Monks are kinda on the fence, Fighter/Rogue/Barbarian are meh.

just give everyone a fighter/rogue and a spell list instead of letting one person get 1 1/2 spell lists

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Elfgames posted:

just give everyone a fighter/rogue and a spell list instead of letting one person get 1 1/2 spell lists

This reminds me how I kinda wish 5e had gone with some sort of dual-classing instead of the 3.5-style multiclassing; a dual-class Fighter/Cleric is a Paladin, etc.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Elfgames posted:

Man, what if the party had a shared spell list?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Doresh posted:

What if the party played five wizards who got into a magical accident and then fused into one ultra penta-wizard?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

NachtSieger posted:

What if the party played five wizards who got into a magical accident and then fused into one ultra penta-wizard?

"I'll form the head!"

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Doresh posted:

"I'll form the head!"

The beard is actually where wizards concentrate their power.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

NachtSieger posted:

The beard is actually where wizards concentrate their power.

That spot is reserved for when the sixth wizard appears 1/3 through the campaign.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Doresh posted:

those are called scrolls, houserule that anybody can use them and keep a group inventory.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Elfgames posted:

those are called scrolls, houserule that anybody can use them and keep a group inventory.

Better known as a flying familiar with a Bag of Holding.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Doresh posted:

Anyone tries that on me there's going to be a lot of archers over (effectively) bottomless pits

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Anyone tries that on me there's going to be a lot of archers over (effectively) bottomless pits

but why

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Another dimension to encounters, take out the archers before blasting with the spells or risk a lot of stuff getting lost. Also works the other way, very easy to push enemies into bottomless pits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Doresh posted:

You mean a courier?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Arivia posted:

You mean a courier?

A courier of bag holding. His has a Liefeldian outfit filled to the brim with Bags of Holding.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Middle Earth book is really cool. The different types of humans, virtues, and backgrounds let you make some very fleshed out characters.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Open Marriage Night posted:

That Middle Earth book is really cool. The different types of humans, virtues, and backgrounds let you make some very fleshed out characters.

I've been wondering about that. What does it offer that The One Ring doesn't?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

I've been wondering about that. What does it offer that The One Ring doesn't?
Brand recognition.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Willing participants?

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
I know that this is a bit of a taboo subject, but hopefully it's not an NSFW one. Xenophilia is literally one of humanity's oldest fetishes, to the point that there are Stone Age cave paintings depicting humans having sex with animals, and the D&D worlds are ones filled with many exotic creatures that have human level (or better!) intelligence. To this end, D&D recognizes this by the existence of races like the Half-Elf and Half-Orc, the tiefling/aasimar/genasi trinity, and more besides. Stout halflings are openly reputed to have dwarvish ancestry, whilst the now-forgotten Tallfellow halflings were implied to have similar lineage connections to elves. Krynn is full of half-human hybrids, to the point that its 3.5 "Races of Krynn" sourcebook contains stats for half-dwarves, half-kender, half-gnomes, half-ogres and half-goblins, whilst Dragon Magazine #385 for 4th edition mentions that the "Gleeborn", a rare strain of dragonborn who are believed to have copper dragon ancestry, are actually popular as courtesans for human kings! Heck, Races of Destiny even gave a possible myth for humanity's origin in that they are the divinely "assisted" blending of halfling, dwarf and elf (long story short, it involves a beautiful but greedy and selfish halfling woman and her two somewhat reluctant husbands; one dwarf, one elf).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: have you ever given any thought to interspecies romances in your D&D games? Have you known players who tried courting outside their racial boundaries, or encountered NPCs who either had "attracted to a species not their own" as a quirk or were outright in an interspecies relationship?

And, in your opinion, where do the borders lie? What forms of interspecies romance simply cannot exist, and why? Where is that nebulous point where its existence as a background element becomes the sign of a "magical realm"?

On a related topic, do you place any restrictions on interspecies breeding between humanoids? If yes, what are those restrictions, and why?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I tend to have a strict no sex stuff rule because players just can't do it without bringing their own creepiness into it. If seduction happens, it gets rolled for and happens off screen.

Plus as a player who's had to sit and wait while another player graphically described their romance and rough copulation with a young elven bride, I don't wish that on anyone.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
don't be the whizzard, don't play with the whizzard

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My experience with "inter-racial relations" in a tabletop game amounts to: *pinches bridge of nose* No, guys, half-orcs aren't always the product of rape

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
let's talk about dwelves

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is it a playable half-____ race in the current printed supplements? If yes, whatever, if no, it's not a generically productive pairing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

I tend to have a strict no sex stuff rule because players just can't do it without bringing their own creepiness into it. If seduction happens, it gets rolled for and happens off screen.

That's how we played a couple of sex scenes in the game I was a part of "Oh yeah you gently caress, best sex you've ever had [it was a shady angel lady]. Skip to morning/when you wake up/later" kind of thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah any sex should be a fade to black thing unless you formed your group on Fetlife.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hold up lemme check the table.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

drat, no dryad lizardfolk crossbreeds. I wanted to play a wood lizard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah any sex should be a fade to black thing unless you formed your group on Fetlife.

Please don't doxx me

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Skellybones posted:

Nymph: YES

What book is that, you've piqued the interest of the part of my brain that hates the rest of my brain.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How the gently caress does Minotaur x Sprite work. Logistically.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Skellybones posted:

Sprites can breed with minotaurs, centaurs, and also giants (with a slight reduction in % of fertility). Jesus Christ, how does that even work?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also they probably should have picked a different letter than M to represent their edge cases, cause it's hard to pick out from a sea of Ns.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

Sprites can breed with minotaurs, centaurs, and also giants (with a slight reduction in % of fertility). Jesus Christ, how does that even work?
Male sprite, extremely disappointed female giant.

Nancy_Noxious posted:

I know that this is a bit of a taboo subject, but hopefully it's not an NSFW one. Xenophilia is literally one of humanity's oldest fetishes, to the point that there are Stone Age cave paintings depicting humans having sex with animals, and the D&D worlds are ones filled with many exotic creatures that have human level (or better!) intelligence. To this end, D&D recognizes this by the existence of races like the Half-Elf and Half-Orc, the tiefling/aasimar/genasi trinity, and more besides. Stout halflings are openly reputed to have dwarvish ancestry, whilst the now-forgotten Tallfellow halflings were implied to have similar lineage connections to elves. Krynn is full of half-human hybrids, to the point that its 3.5 "Races of Krynn" sourcebook contains stats for half-dwarves, half-kender, half-gnomes, half-ogres and half-goblins, whilst Dragon Magazine #385 for 4th edition mentions that the "Gleeborn", a rare strain of dragonborn who are believed to have copper dragon ancestry, are actually popular as courtesans for human kings! Heck, Races of Destiny even gave a possible myth for humanity's origin in that they are the divinely "assisted" blending of halfling, dwarf and elf (long story short, it involves a beautiful but greedy and selfish halfling woman and her two somewhat reluctant husbands; one dwarf, one elf).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is this: have you ever given any thought to interspecies romances in your D&D games? Have you known players who tried courting outside their racial boundaries, or encountered NPCs who either had "attracted to a species not their own" as a quirk or were outright in an interspecies relationship?

And, in your opinion, where do the borders lie? What forms of interspecies romance simply cannot exist, and why? Where is that nebulous point where its existence as a background element becomes the sign of a "magical realm"?

On a related topic, do you place any restrictions on interspecies breeding between humanoids? If yes, what are those restrictions, and why?
This is a lot of words to say "Can dwarves gently caress elves Y/N". Where'd you get it from?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sage Genesis posted:

artificial insemination

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

Male sprite, extremely disappointed female giant.

The hell was she expecting from a sprite?

Splicer posted:

This is a lot of words to say "Can dwarves gently caress elves Y/N". Where'd you get it from?

I believe this is a copy-paste from RPGnet, a thread posted about a month ago.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

I believe this is a copy-paste from RPGnet, a thread posted about a month ago.

I wouldn't put it past N_N to have come up with this themselves. Last time I saw them post they were getting banned for defending Beast and demanding that we declare pogrom on anyone who dares play Pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

The hell was she expecting from a sprite?
A magical evening.