Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Most of the risks of cannibalism comes from eating the brain. As long as you leave that alone it's pretty safe.
Human is by the way the only meat I would eat. They are capable of giving consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Thesaya posted:

Most of the risks of cannibalism comes from eating the brain. As long as you leave that alone it's pretty safe.
Human is by the way the only meat I would eat. They are capable of giving consent.

What if you taught a monkey sign language, then asked it?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 91:thx:

Today we're finishing up our station cleansing mission and then we've got a new job right away, which includes a vertibird ride and unlimited ammo on the minigun as we shoot our way in. The mission is to find a bunch of mini-nukes that were in storage and get the Brotherhood access, which sounds like something which we could in no way regret in the future.

ultrabindu posted:

lol, why would you do that? you let me hijack you're thread!

Not so much hijack I'd say as enhance. As in the latest instance.

Thesaya posted:

See, my logic is that I generally like animals better than people so if it came down to it...

White Coke posted:

What if you taught a monkey sign language, then asked it?

Then you've got all kinds of murky issues of consciousness and does it really understand what it's agreeing to. Kind of makes me think of the talking pig in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe."

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I'm going to be edgy an say that I didn't much care for Rogue One.
The characters were bland, and Felicity Jones' performance was eye rollingly bad. I've seen her in a few different things and she's just a charisma vacuum. Makes me yearn for Daisy Ridely and John Boyega. Finn and Rey weren't much for characters but they acted the poo poo out of them and you cared about what was going on.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 92:thx:

Things are getting a bit too real with the Brotherhood of Steel, so we literally back away slowly and go off to explore another faction. Before we can get started Curie's got a request for us - she wants a human body because she thinks that'll give her the spark to become a great scientist. It'll also make her a valid choice for romance, so naturally we help out. After that it's time to start practicing some tradecraft with the Railroad, and who better to bring along than our new synth friend?

Voting still continues on our next companion here. In the near future I might just choose a couple to close out their stories since we're getting close.

ultrabindu posted:

I'm going to be edgy an say that I didn't much care for Rogue One.
The characters were bland, and Felicity Jones' performance was eye rollingly bad. I've seen her in a few different things and she's just a charisma vacuum. Makes me yearn for Daisy Ridely and John Boyega. Finn and Rey weren't much for characters but they acted the poo poo out of them and you cared about what was going on.

I will admit that I confused the theft of the plans for the first and second Death Star and found myself asking "Wait, are these people all bothans? What the hell is a bothan?" Which, by the way, is what Google autofilled when I started typing the question in. I'm evidently far from the only person to do that.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Who's voting for Preston?

:argh:

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I'll likely miss most or all of any streaming tonight due to a Hanukah party, but everybody have a good Kwanzaa etc. anyway!

Thesaya posted:

There is a song/poem I love that is apparently just for you, almost exactly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeDLzTObXFY

ultrabindu posted:

Freakin' monsters out there. You just can't trust voters, I tells ya.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 93:thx:

Today we're on a mission from the Railroad to check in on a safe house that's lost contact. Nothing good can come of this, but we take our time clearing it out because the layout is a bit weird. Once we're back at the Railroad Tinker Tom has something.. special.. for us, and then we're off on another mission. I can't recall exactly what it is at the moment, but we'll see on the next video.

Speaking of which, we're on track to stream tonight and the last chance to vote in a close race for our next companion is here.

ultrabindu posted:

Democracy is a mystery.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I'll likely miss most or all of any streaming tonight due to a Hanukah party, but everybody have a good Kwanzaa etc. anyway!

Freakin' monsters out there. You just can't trust voters, I tells ya.

Happy Hanukah! I hope you have a great party.

I'm not sure what I expected when I clicked on that link, but it wasn't what occurred.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
It begins!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ThaGhettoJew posted:

That is the cutest thing. :allears:

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

ultrabindu posted:

It was me. I speak for those who no one wishes to hear. Namely Preston and his annoying radial quests. But I only did it once, I swear.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 94:thx:

In today's update we're living that Wasteland life, which in this case means clearing out some raiders to build our own base in their space. Unfortunately we run out of parts halfway through, so a nearby subway station gets raided in search of a typewriter or something. After we finish the job it's back to the Railroad for some more missions before cutting it for the day.

After last night's stream it became pretty clear that we need to break down and build the transporter, and we need help to do it. Choosing a group to help us build the transporter doesn't lock us into their ending, so who do we approach? Vote here to decide.

Thesaya posted:

That is the cutest thing. :allears:

It was actually pretty cool when I got a chance to really listen to it. Or groovy? Groovy seems like the appropriate word.

HomestarCanter posted:

It was me. I speak for those who no one wishes to hear. Namely Preston and his annoying radial quests. But I only did it once, I swear.

The good news is that once I get Preston to the next major point in his questline I can drop him somewhere else and we won't get anymore of them.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

HomestarCanter posted:

ultrabindu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 29, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

:thx:Update 94:thx:
It was actually pretty cool when I got a chance to really listen to it. Or groovy? Groovy seems like the appropriate word.

I had a moment of realising exactly how odd and morbid I am when I thought about how I reacted to that song. On the other hand, I was the one who drew guillotines in the margins of my note books at eight after learning about the French revolution and I have kept going in the same vein since so I do know how I am. It was just a brief moment of introspection.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Nancy, I'm sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, but I honestly can't think of a single odd family member. Or an instance where our family could be labelled as unhappy. Closest thing I can think of is when my mum died but that also led to me, my brother and father growing very much closer.

Well, there is the fact that my father's mother never got or wanted to understand my depression and she was the one person I never came out to. I would have if I'd had a long term girlfriend but that didn't happen before she died. Still, I don't feel that that is a really horrid thing.

Edit; me, my dad and brother are all still hosed up people in our own ways. I am just saying that as a family, we're pretty drat golden. We talk about all the poo poo as well as the good stuff and also respect each other for who we are. And I am seriously grateful for that and them.

Editedit; I really want you to put Curie in a fancy dress.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 29, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 95:thx:

Preston Garvey might have won the vote, but we've got some hanging missions to finish before we go get him. Unfortunately the objectives for those missions are actually REALLY hard to find. Then there's raiders and rooftop deathclaws and super mutants and... well, things get complicated, okay? Just more proof that even having an arrow pointing you directly at something doesn't always mean you'll be able to find it.

Meanwhile, voting continues here on who should help us with the transporter.

The best part is that some of the stuff around his hat against the background almost makes it look like he's got a stink cloud.

Thesaya posted:

I had a moment of realising exactly how odd and morbid I am when I thought about how I reacted to that song. On the other hand, I was the one who drew guillotines in the margins of my note books at eight after learning about the French revolution and I have kept going in the same vein since so I do know how I am. It was just a brief moment of introspection.

I actually kind of hope that everyone's notebooks looked like horror shows during school, and that it wasn't just us. I did the whole "brown paper bag book cover" thing a couple of times in school, and the result was my notebook being decorated with anatomically correct hearts with daggers through them occasionally snowmen who were being murdered in various creative ways.

Thesaya posted:

Nancy, I'm sorry if I'm bursting your bubble, but I honestly can't think of a single odd family member. Or an instance where our family could be labelled as unhappy. Closest thing I can think of is when my mum died but that also led to me, my brother and father growing very much closer.

Well, there is the fact that my father's mother never got or wanted to understand my depression and she was the one person I never came out to. I would have if I'd had a long term girlfriend but that didn't happen before she died. Still, I don't feel that that is a really horrid thing.

Edit; me, my dad and brother are all still hosed up people in our own ways. I am just saying that as a family, we're pretty drat golden. We talk about all the poo poo as well as the good stuff and also respect each other for who we are. And I am seriously grateful for that and them.

Editedit; I really want you to put Curie in a fancy dress.

Glad to hear that you do have a happy family and that you have that support. And you know, we might put Curie in a fancy dress at some point where we don't have to worry about her survival. I'm not sure which one, but we can keep an eye out in suitcases and the like. I just don't know what would work for her.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wait, Curie is a robot. She can't wear dresses. Someone elaborate please, I'm still jet lagged and I missed the last couple of streams.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

Wait, Curie is a robot. She can't wear dresses. Someone elaborate please, I'm still jet lagged and I missed the last couple of streams.

Curie's mind was transferred into a synth's body. She is now human looking.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ddegenha posted:

Glad to hear that you do have a happy family and that you have that support. And you know, we might put Curie in a fancy dress at some point where we don't have to worry about her survival. I'm not sure which one, but we can keep an eye out in suitcases and the like. I just don't know what would work for her.

Well when you leave her at Sanctuary and you put her skirt on Cait (I really think you should do that,) you can put her in the fanciest thing you found on your travels. ;)

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

White Coke posted:

Curie's mind was transferred into a synth's body. She is now human looking.

loving hell, I'm so far behind on the streams.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

ultrabindu fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 31, 2016

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 96:thx:

The railroad missions continue as we search through Hub360 in search of the supply cache. The building is a maze with all kinds of entrances and exits, and having Fallout 4 crash in the middle doesn't help at all. We do eventually find it, however, and there's one more mission left for the Railroad. They want us to find an agent who's gone missing, and because nothing can ever be simple he's in the middle of a raider camp. Just another day at the office for the world's greatest secret agent and his shank-happy sidekick.

bman in 2288 posted:

loving hell, I'm so far behind on the streams.

I'd recommend Updates 89-92 for our time with the Brotherhood of Steel, with Update 92 being the one that covers Curie becoming human.

Updates 86 and 87 have us spending some time with Deacon and Cait making a supremely awkward romantic confession.

Updates 82 and 83 explain the main plot and why we need somebody to help us build a teleporter.

Thesaya posted:

Well when you leave her at Sanctuary and you put her skirt on Cait (I really think you should do that,) you can put her in the fanciest thing you found on your travels. ;)

I could actually make an attempt to get everyone a decent non-combat outfit and then have them all dressed well when they're wandering around Sanctuary. Might actually be a fun scavenging project.

She looks so gleeful, and it almost looks like she's blushing a tiny bit. Also, note: I REALLY need to find that girl a ripper.

And, just as a curiosity, how many people would be up for a New Years Eve stream?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Sure, I'll be around, although I will be into the new year by the time you start.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
No idea if I'll be around my computer again by Eve, but I'll check back if I'm here...

And whether it happens or not- Have a Safe and Happy No-Longer-2016, thread.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Alright, we'll go ahead and do a short stream tonight here, starting about... now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The one time in weeks I'm awake for the stream, and I'm in a place that doesn't have internet. Fantastic.

Phone posting, in case anyone tried to get smart.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 97:thx:

Today we're crashing the Revere Street Station Raider's holiday party and getting the intel we needed from the missing agent, then failing in our bid to pick up Preston Garvey for Minutemen adventures. He won't talk about anything but Virgil's schematics and we don't want that kind of commitment, so the decision is made to go with Nick and play detective.. which we'll pick up with next update.

We've got a bit of a backlog built up, so we're going to have daily updates for a while. Last night's stream got us access to the Institute (we haven't been in yet) and opened up some more sidequesting, so vote here on who our next companion should be.

bman in 2288 posted:

The one time in weeks I'm awake for the stream, and I'm in a place that doesn't have internet. Fantastic.

Phone posting, in case anyone tried to get smart.

Good news! This was in addition to rather than instead of Wednesday night's stream, so there'll be another one in a few days.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

No idea if I'll be around my computer again by Eve, but I'll check back if I'm here...

And whether it happens or not- Have a Safe and Happy No-Longer-2016, thread.

Indeed, a safe and happy no-longer-2016 with more adventures to come in 2017.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I have to defend Cannonball Run and Cannonball Run 2. The cast may seem cheesy, because it was the 70's but Dom Deluise and Burt Reynolds had great chemistry. It was basically a who's who of famous people of the time who knew each other and were friends, and they basically said "gently caress it, lets all get paid to hang out and have fun (and probably do all the drugs)". It also has one of the best bloopers sequences I've seen that runs through most of the credits. It would never win an Oscar, but they're decent movies.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Dom Deluise's schtick gets old real fast in those films and you can tell everyone else is just there for a pay cheque.

I still find it funny that Bethesda's quest scripting deprived us of Preston. I want to see more of the Minutemen but dang he's needy.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 98:thx:

Today we're going to play detective, and we've got two cases in front of us and one we're ignoring (The Far Harbor DLC). They're technically both missing persons cases, but one is easily solved inside Diamond City and one is going to take us out near Goodneighbor. We... well, we find the first guy. That's all I have to say about that. The second case is a bit more complicated, because the missing person was going after a colonial artifact and the building it's in is full of Super Mutants. Literally, packed full. But we can handle that.

Voting continues for our next companion here.

seaborgium posted:

I have to defend Cannonball Run and Cannonball Run 2. The cast may seem cheesy, because it was the 70's but Dom Deluise and Burt Reynolds had great chemistry. It was basically a who's who of famous people of the time who knew each other and were friends, and they basically said "gently caress it, lets all get paid to hang out and have fun (and probably do all the drugs)". It also has one of the best bloopers sequences I've seen that runs through most of the credits. It would never win an Oscar, but they're decent movies.

I think I might enjoy the blooper reel most of all, but who knows. I've had a mixed experience with movies from that era, especially ones that are supposedly classics. The worst offender is probably Stripes, but Cannonball Run sounds better.

ultrabindu posted:

Dom Deluise's schtick gets old real fast in those films and you can tell everyone else is just there for a pay cheque.

I still find it funny that Bethesda's quest scripting deprived us of Preston. I want to see more of the Minutemen but dang he's needy.

Burt Reynolds and his mustache can save us!

The worst part about Preston is that it literally never ends. You can have every single settlement in the Commonwealth under the Minutemen and somebody will still get kidnapped from Nordhagen Beach for the fourth time and need you to rescue them. And you can't turn in any of the quests without getting new ones - if they'd just patch it it so that he would only give you quests if you asked for them it would be bearable, but as soon as you talk to him to turn in the ones you've just completed he hands you some more. All that said, I might do the next couple of quests in the Minutemen line because that gets you access to a particular piece of settlement defense kit.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Makes me wish there were more cases at Nick's detective agency. A buddy cop series with him would be great. He's pretty well written but his companion quest is quite meh, especially when compared with Cait's. Maybe we should take Nick on some Railroad quests, I'm sure he'll have some unique dialogue for those.

ultrabindu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 2, 2017

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 99:thx:

Up, up, and up the steps of Faneuil Hall we go in search of our missing person, and in the end we're 2 for 2. After that it's time for a little grave-robbing treasure hunting, which Nick strangely does not object to. At the end of the day we're about out of things to do so we look to the sea, searching out a sea monster that turns out to be an old pre-war submarine. Exploration has to wait for the next update, but it's one of my favorite quests.

Voting continues here for tomorrow's stream companion.

ultrabindu posted:

Makes me wish there were more cases at Nick's detective agency. A buddy cop series with him would be great. He's pretty well written but his companion quest is quite meh, especially when compared with Cait's. Maybe we should take Nick on some Railroad quests, I'm sure he'll have some unique dialogue for those.

I love the look of weary patience on Nick as he waits for Archer to finish another drink. Nick tends to be one of my favorite companions just because you can be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to him and he generally gives back as good as he gets. I'll take a look at Nick's unique dialogue and that might be a factor in the future. Far Harbor has a lot about him, so when we get to it I plan on generally taking him along. Before that, of course, we're definitely going to finish out his companion quest.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Trick to Something Awful is not to venture outside of the Let's Play subforum. That is what I do.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah pretty much. Sometimes there's a good catte or dog thread in PYF, but that's about it.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 100:thx:

Kind of weird seeing it up there, but here we are: 100 updates, not counting the intro. For our 100th update we're cracking open the giant sardine can out in the harbor, and we're not alone. There's a pre-war ghoul Chinese submarine captain inside who wants nothing more than to go home. To do that he needs us to kill the rest of the crew and retrieve a nuclear warhead, but that's just another day at the office so why not? After the job's done (and I just realized that if I'd asked for more he'd have given me his sword, but that's okay) we do some armor upgrades to close out that particular stream.

Speaking of which, we'll be streaming tonight and you can still vote here on the closely fought battle over who's going to be our next companion.

Thesaya posted:

Trick to Something Awful is not to venture outside of the Let's Play subforum. That is what I do.

ultrabindu posted:

Yeah pretty much. Sometimes there's a good catte or dog thread in PYF, but that's about it.

Honestly, I came here for the LPs so I've never really felt a need to go outside.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

ddegenha posted:

I've never really felt a need to go outside.

:goonsay:

I'm no longer on vacation so I can't join you guys for the stream, I'll never learn the secret of your cat's dirty ears.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ddegenha posted:

The worst part about Preston is that it literally never ends. You can have every single settlement in the Commonwealth under the Minutemen and somebody will still get kidnapped from Nordhagen Beach for the fourth time and need you to rescue them. And you can't turn in any of the quests without getting new ones - if they'd just patch it it so that he would only give you quests if you asked for them it would be bearable, but as soon as you talk to him to turn in the ones you've just completed he hands you some more. All that said, I might do the next couple of quests in the Minutemen line because that gets you access to a particular piece of settlement defense kit.

If you get the minutemen quests through the radio then they complete without having to go to Preston.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Okay, we're starting the stream now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
:thx:Update 101:thx:

This update marks the beginning of the New Year's Even stream, so we're gradually catching up. Today we've got a simple mission, clearing out a blockage in the Railroad's synth extraction system so that an old friend of ours can go to his new forever home. The only complication is that Glory mistakenly got assigned the same mission, but we can always use a bullet-sponge friend.

ultrabindu posted:

:goonsay:

I'm no longer on vacation so I can't join you guys for the stream, I'll never learn the secret of your cat's dirty ears.

We haven't found the secret, but when we do I assure you the thread will know. I almost feel like I should put up pictures of the cats, since they feature so prominently.

White Coke posted:

If you get the minutemen quests through the radio then they complete without having to go to Preston.

Reaaaaallly? Well, we'll have to give that a test run. I'd love to actually be able to complete those and not have more pop up.

• Locked thread