Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Data Graham posted:

Dom-jot is like bumper pool TO THE DEATH

Tbf I don't think stabbing the winner through the heart is in the official dom-jot rulebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Tbf I don't think stabbing the winner through the heart is in the official dom-jot rulebook
Nausicaan house rules.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's a popular house rule though, like punching your friend when they buy one of each color property in Monopoly

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I totes want a tongo set.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Man posted:

I totes want a tongo set.

I wish there was more of subtle merchandise like a set of standard playing cards shaped and styled like Tongo cards. Maybe Quark's Bar* branded on the back.

So you can use them in real life playing real card games! And also so people who don't recognise it don't know my shame.

* Free refills! Limit 1 per customer

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 24, 2016

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I wish there was more of subtle merchandise like a set of standard playing cards shaped and styled like Tongo cards. Maybe Quark's Bar* branded on the back.

So you can use them in real life playing real card games! And also so people who don't recognise it don't know my shame.

You can get round playing cards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Novelty-Playing-complete-Plastic/dp/B0089FV5DE

You can even get your own custom printed:

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/design/custom-rounded-card-decks.html

Get yourself a kickstarter going.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, the "two things familiar, one thing alien" trope is ridiculous, but it's just so established in Trek at this point that I can't help but love it. I like to think of it as the Earthican equivalent of a lot of current "world" history where they do all the classic eurocentrism, but add in a little section at the end of the chapter about a minority group or nonwestern culture as a nod to multiculturalism. You know, like how a discussion of WWI might be 90% about Europeans fighting in Europe, but have a little fig leaf at the end about colonial troops or the Asian and African theaters.

Basically, most of the humans on Star Trek are super Earthcentric, but always try to mention an alien in there somewhere so as not to sound spacist.

As for when aliens do the same thing, I really can't explain that. Maybe they're Earthaboos?

It's actually a brilliant compromise between doing only one or all future-history references, and having half your dumbass audience scratching their heads and wondering if they missed something when they were late getting back from the bathroom during commercial break ("who's this Colonel Green they're talking about??"), and doing nothing but 20th century references and having nerds cleverly point out how history apparently ended in the 20th century. The first two examples set a pattern ("oh okay we're talking about history") and then the third example is the concession that the setting is ostensibly in the future.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Nick Meyer tells a story about how he wanted a Starfleet blanket like the ones in Star Trek 6 (but with the design actually part of the blanket and not just stenciled on) and it was a gigantic pain in the rear end to get Paramount merchandising to go along with making any. Eventually he had to agree to do it as a super-special ~*limited collectors' run*~ and had to sign authenticity certificates for every drat one or something.

But he got his Starfleet blanket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nick Meyer tells a story about how he wanted a Starfleet blanket like the ones in Star Trek 6 (but with the design actually part of the blanket and not just stenciled on) and it was a gigantic pain in the rear end to get Paramount merchandising to go along with making any. Eventually he had to agree to do it as a super-special ~*limited collectors' run*~ and had to sign authenticity certificates for every drat one or something.

But he got his Starfleet blanket.

"Starfleet blanket? Easy! We just added STAR TREK(TM) over the top in huge letters and the paramount contact info along the bottom! Gotta brand, after all, otherwise what's the point? :downs:"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm trying to find the episode where a blooper happens. I remember two characters in a bedroom, and a clearly visible hand behind the bed hands one of the characters (or is handed to) a glass of wine or something. I think this was in an early episode of TNG.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

DrSunshine posted:

I'm trying to find the episode where a blooper happens. I remember two characters in a bedroom, and a clearly visible hand behind the bed hands one of the characters (or is handed to) a glass of wine or something. I think this was in an early episode of TNG.

Angel One. Mistress Beatta puts her wine glass down as if there's a table there, but she's actually putting it in a stage hand's hand. It accidentally ended up just barely in frame.

They fixed it in the re-master by cropping the scene slightly.

Source: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/angelone.htm

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Angel One. Mistress Beatta puts her wine glass down as if there's a table there, but she's actually putting it in a stage hand's hand. It accidentally ended up just barely in frame.

Ex Astris Scientia posted:

The server rejects the referring URL, because of repeated harrassment, spamming or other violations of the EAS terms of service

They send all links from SA to that 403 page, lol, what did Goons do to EAS?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I hit f5 and the problem went away. Or maybe I clicked the url bar and hit enter. I dunno, but it wasn't an issue.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

They send all links from SA to that 403 page, lol, what did Goons do to EAS?

I think somebody image leeched him once and he turned into a giant baby about it.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

TNG season 1 had some seriously dodgy directing. There also was the guy who cast all black people for Code of Honor and the episode (still not sure which one) where people kept wandering through the shots. Also, lots of horrible lighting/sound failures, conspicuous pauses between actors' lines, and way too many spandex crotch buldges. I'm pretty bad at spotting out and out bloopers though. Lots of Memory Alpha pages for episodes I've seen repeatedly list continuity errors and set/prop problems I just never noticed. There's even a couple episodes where you can actually see stage hands in the frame (not just their hands) and, even though they're in full view, I just never caught them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Duckbag posted:

TNG season 1 had some seriously dodgy directing.

Don't forget the writer-producer who harassed Gates McFadden until she quit.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Duckbag posted:

TNG season 1 had some seriously dodgy directing. There also was the guy who cast all black people for Code of Honor and the episode (still not sure which one) where people kept wandering through the shots. Also, lots of horrible lighting/sound failures, conspicuous pauses between actors' lines, and way too many spandex crotch buldges. I'm pretty bad at spotting out and out bloopers though. Lots of Memory Alpha pages for episodes I've seen repeatedly list continuity errors and set/prop problems I just never noticed. There's even a couple episodes where you can actually see stage hands in the frame (not just their hands) and, even though they're in full view, I just never caught them.

Don't forget putting the black cardboard on the back of the bridge set to block the stage lights.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Powered Descent posted:

Riker visits a femdom empire and bangs the poo poo out of their president. The most Riker episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

macnbc posted:

Don't forget putting the black cardboard on the back of the bridge set to block the stage lights.

I think that was more of a season 2 thing.

EDIT: oop, no, found it in season 1 too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

macnbc posted:

The future's so bright I gotta wear shades :cool:

*Every actor in this scene now has cateracts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching '...Nor the Battle to the Strong' and I'm loving Jake's asymmetrical jacket.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 24, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just got to the DS9 section of The Fifty Year Mission book. As a lapsed comic book reader, it's funny how one of the director tries to justify the series as Batman to TNG's Superman.

I mean, I kinda see it, but wouldn't a more accurate analogy be TNG's Spider-Man to DS9's Venom/Carnage?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

At no point did the Sisko threaten to eat anyone's brains. Can you imagine how much fun Avery Brooks would have had?

We missed out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've never watched TOS before and just finished a TNG run-through (grew up with it) so I've started doing a run-through of it and I've only seen 2 episodes so far. (The man trap and Charlie X)

How did this show catch on with these as the first 2 episodes? I hear the next one is supposed to be pretty good but I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the show. It's so different from TNG which I started with as a kid.

I've seen all of the movies (and the new reboot movies) and liked them, love TNG and Voyager and can enjoy what I've seen of DS9 and Enterprise. TOS get better than the first 2, right?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 25, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I imagine it was pretty different from whatever else was on TV at the time.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I straight up forgot how poo poo season 1 TNG is from nearly every angle until my dad fell sleep on the couch after Chromecasting Netflix and it just kept churning out lovely episodes. Somehow season 1 could be more colorful and yet devoid of all fruitful feeling.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

Riker visits a femdom empire and bangs the poo poo out of their president. The most Riker episode.

He didn't even have the beard yet either!

If he had they never would have let him leave the planet. :allears:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

GutBomb posted:

I've never watched TOS before and just finished a TNG run-through (grew up with it) so I've started doing a run-through of it and I've only seen 2 episodes so far. (The man trap and Charlie X)

How did this show catch on with these as the first 2 episodes? I hear the next one is supposed to be pretty good but I don't know if I'll be able to make it through the show. It's so different from TNG which I started with as a kid.

I've seen all of the movies (and the new reboot movies) and liked them, love TNG and Voyager and can enjoy what I've seen of DS9 and Enterprise. TOS get better than the first 2, right?

Charlie X is a bit poo poo but Man Trap is a solid Trek episode, albeit before they had a great idea of what they wanted the series to be. If you don't like Season 1 of TOS I basically have no idea what drew you to Trek to begin with, it's pretty much as good as the entire franchise gets. If you're really struggling with the early stuff the classic ones in season 1 are Balance of Terror, Galileo Seven, Squire of Gothos, Arena, Space Seed, Devil in the Dark, and City on the Edge of Forever. There's definitely some sleepers in there though. And The Alternative Factor. I'd say watch them all. Except The Alternative Factor.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rom's sideway tooth on his lower jaw upsets me every time I see it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

grilldos posted:

I straight up forgot how poo poo season 1 TNG is from nearly every angle until my dad fell sleep on the couch after Chromecasting Netflix and it just kept churning out lovely episodes. Somehow season 1 could be more colorful and yet devoid of all fruitful feeling.

You'll get to the better stuff eventually. And then you'll see "Balance of Terror" and be knocked out of your god drat seat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/812875598276083712

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

macnbc posted:

They still missed a spot. There's the silhouette of some guy's head behind the Zakdorn's shoulder. Also, yeah, the horrific soap opera overlighting is one reason early TNG looks so bland and fuzzy.

GutBomb posted:

Man Trap is OK, but a bit stiff. I think the bigger issue is that so, so many Trek episodes have done the "weird killer alien gets loose on the ship" thing since, and most of them are better.

Really, none of the first few episodes are great intros to Trek. Early on, the emphasis was too heavy on the weird aliens, space magic, and humanist wankery and they hadn't figured out how to mesh that with solid character drama yet. The first pilot (The Cage, which it seems like you rightly skipped) probably got rejected because the characters barely had personalities and the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before) leans too hard into the other direction with lots of Shatnerian ACT-ing and not enough grounded characterization. Then you get a creature feature and a weird glut of godlike alien episodes and lots of ludicrously dated and gimmicky "science" fiction (Good and Evil Kirk! Planet of Children!) and it's sort of hard to figure out what the show is really trying to be.

It's fascinating to watch how the show evolved over time and a few of those episodes do hold up (if you're in the right frame of mind), but if you just want to get to the good stuff, I recommend skipping to episode 10, "The Corbomite Maneuver," and going from there. Corbomite has the first (sort of) space battle, good plot tension and character drama, and a weird/great twist ending. Most importantly, it's the first episode that really nailed the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic that became the heart and soul of the show and has lots of classic lines (one of which was lifted wholesale for Beyond). There's a really solid string of episodes afterward too, so it makes a pretty good intro to the series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TNG's lighting was overlit in part due to contemporary methods, but also for ease of filming. If every shot from every angle is devoid of shadows, blocking is so much easier. Plus you can rest assured you got good exposure on the film stock. Now, because of digital formats, tv can afford to be more filmic with lighting.

Like, imagine you have 8 days to film an episode and you have no idea if your shots turned out until tomorrow. You would probably do everything possible to ensure you stayed on schedule, even if it made the end product a little flat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

They still missed a spot. There's the silhouette of some guy's head behind the Zakdorn's shoulder. Also, yeah, the horrific soap opera overlighting is one reason early TNG looks so bland and fuzzy.

Huh, didn't they actually overnight more later? Early TNG was more contrasting, whereas later everything was soft and lit. I think that was more a matter of figuring out decent ways to flood the set with light as time went on, though.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

skasion posted:

I'd say watch them all. Except The Alternative Factor.

Glad to know I'm not alone in hating this one. Seemed to go on forever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, it's widely regarded as one of the worst episodes of the series, as you can see here. It's confusing, slow, and uninteresting. The actor who was supposed to play the Character Of The Week couldn't even bother to show up and they had to recruit someone else at the last minute.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Duckbag posted:

Man Trap is OK, but a bit stiff. I think the bigger issue is that so, so many Trek episodes have done the "weird killer alien gets loose on the ship" thing since, and most of them are better.

Really, none of the first few episodes are great intros to Trek. Early on, the emphasis was too heavy on the weird aliens, space magic, and humanist wankery and they hadn't figured out how to mesh that with solid character drama yet. The first pilot (The Cage, which it seems like you rightly skipped) probably got rejected because the characters barely had personalities and the second pilot (Where No Man Has Gone Before) leans too hard into the other direction with lots of Shatnerian ACT-ing and not enough grounded characterization. Then you get a creature feature and a weird glut of godlike alien episodes and lots of ludicrously dated and gimmicky "science" fiction (Good and Evil Kirk! Planet of Children!) and it's sort of hard to figure out what the show is really trying to be.

It's fascinating to watch how the show evolved over time and a few of those episodes do hold up (if you're in the right frame of mind), but if you just want to get to the good stuff, I recommend skipping to episode 10, "The Corbomite Maneuver," and going from there. Corbomite has the first (sort of) space battle, good plot tension and character drama, and a weird/great twist ending. Most importantly, it's the first episode that really nailed the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic that became the heart and soul of the show and has lots of classic lines (one of which was lifted wholesale for Beyond). There's a really solid string of episodes afterward too, so it makes a pretty good intro to the series.

It's important to judge the early show in context though, not from the hindsight of modern tv storytelling. What seems like "dated and gimmicky" scifi stuff now was actually groundbreaking and very different at the time. Even if some of the plot tropes were well trod in the pulp magazines and novels of the previous 30 years, the vast mainstream of America's tv audience hadn't been exposed to them. The public was used to seeing stuff like "Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea", "Time Tunnel," and "My Favorite Martian." and "Lost in Space." There were also high concept anthologies that had scifi episodes like "Twilight Zone" and "Outer Limits." But there was nothing like Star Trek, which was serious adult drama in space in a continuous universe.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oh man. Martok Changeling learned the hard way that it's not a good idea to break stealth in a stealth mission frivolously.

Its like in XCOM (the old one) where you'd position half your squad outside the alien spaceship for 15 turns so they start coming out wondering where you are. blamblamblamblam

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Imaginary Friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Merry Christmas Trek thread.